Tough time for PSU...tougher times for the victims

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 0

#51 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] i don't know that it is. according to nfl.com, "Paterno notified the athletic director, Tim Curley, and a vice president, Gary Schultz, but did not go to authorities.". he notified those who should have been the ones to bring it to the police. its horrible what took place, but joe pa did nothing wrong. they should have at least let him finish the season, ending the career on his own terms.

When his AD and VP didn't go to the police, he should have (or at least followed up with his administration). JoePa was the most powerful man on that campus and could've easily sidestepped his AD and gone to the authorities himself. He didn't do anything wrong (legally), but he certainly didn't do what was right.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Why in the world does McQueary still have a job?
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
Why in the world does McQueary still have a job?JML897
by others' logic, he didn't go to the police either, so he should also be fired.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
He's a living legend and doesn't deserve such an awful ending, but it was probably the right decision. It's sad that such a heralded tenure ended like this, but when it comes to the situation itself, I have mixed feelings.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#55 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] i don't know that it is. according to nfl.com, "Paterno notified the athletic director, Tim Curley, and a vice president, Gary Schultz, but did not go to authorities.". he notified those who should have been the ones to bring it to the police. its horrible what took place, but joe pa did nothing wrong. they should have at least let him finish the season, ending the career on his own terms.

When his AD and VP didn't go to the police, he should have (or at least followed up with his administration). JoePa was the most powerful man on that campus and could've easily sidestepped his AD and gone to the authorities himself. He didn't do anything wrong (legally), but he certainly didn't do what was right.

That's what I would have done as well...but you can't keep coaching out the season, that's just a whole lot of awkward going on. The media would be grilling Paterno about Sandusky, not about game results.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#56 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

So where does Penn State football go from here? No one is going to want to go there. The Big Ten isn't going to want to be associated with it. Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

Oleg_Huzwog

No. Improper benefits and playing with ineligible players is about all the NCAA would ever penalize someone for. There's not really any precedent for a case like this. The closest I can think of are the sexual assualt allegations at Colorado in the late 90's or whenever it was. The coach was suspended for some comments he made about the accuser, but that's about all that happened.

They are going to lose recruits.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Um. We might just be at the tip of the iceberg here.

http://twitter.com/sportsbybrooks

"I can confirm there will soon be new, major allegation involving child sex abuse in Sandusky case. Told tonite it could come before Saturday"

"If what I was told tonight about the details of the new allegation in Sandusky child sex case is true, it will horrify the public."

I don't want to speculate on what it is, but if this story hasn't already "horrified the public" I can't imagine how crazy this is going to get.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

So where does Penn State football go from here? No one is going to want to go there. The Big Ten isn't going to want to be associated with it. Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

Pittfan666

No. Improper benefits and playing with ineligible players is about all the NCAA would ever penalize someone for. There's not really any precedent for a case like this. The closest I can think of are the sexual assualt allegations at Colorado in the late 90's or whenever it was. The coach was suspended for some comments he made about the accuser, but that's about all that happened.

They are going to lose recruits.

Short term.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

but joe pa did nothing wrong. ChikaraShref

Um, yes he did. :roll:

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 QuistisTrepe_

Why in the world does McQueary still have a job?JML897

Covering up child rape is cool, but programs that funnel illegal payments and benefits to players, man, that's just un-American.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 QuistisTrepe_

Riots on campus. Do these fools not fully grasp what has occured?

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/11/10/2551315/penn-state-riots-protest-joe-paterno-fired-state-college

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Master_Live

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/11/10/2551315/penn-state-riots-protest-joe-paterno-fired-state-college

QuistisTrepe_
You are not there, emotions running high. Paterno is a God like individual in there.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Master_Live

You are not there, emotions running high. Paterno is a God like individual in there.

Yeah, screw the unconscionable cover up of a child rapist, we've got a bowl game to play for! Yeah, I'm pretty sure Penn State students are dumb.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#64 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Joe Pa is getting screwed. He is just a scapegoat. He's the most convenient target.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Master_Live

[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

Yeah, screw the unconscionable cover up of a child rapist, we've got a bowl game to play for! Yeah, I'm pretty sure Penn State students are dumb.

PSU

Blowing some steam off. They will get over it.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Joe Pa is getting screwed. He is just a scapegoat. He's the most convenient target. monkeytoes61

He is not a scapegoat. He is rightfully being punished for his role, as are all the others involved.

EDIT: excpet McQueary for some reason... but his turn may still be coming

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]but joe pa did nothing wrong. QuistisTrepe_

No he didn't. By the rules, he did precisely what was asked of him (reporting the incident to his superior). Should he have done more? I think we can all agree that he should and could have. But he did nothing wrong.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Joe Pa is getting screwed. He is just a scapegoat. He's the most convenient target. Oleg_Huzwog

He is not a scapegoat. He is rightfully being punished for his role, as are all the others involved.

Punished for what? Following the rules to the letter?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Joe Pa is getting screwed. He is just a scapegoat. He's the most convenient target. monkeytoes61

For not doing more than the absolute bare minimum. For not doing the right thing. For simply passing along an alleged sexual assualt of a child in his facilities, and then choosing to push it out of his mind. For never calling the police. For never once bothering to ask the AD "hey, whatever happened to that thing with Sandusky we had talked about?" For not doing anything over the next 9 years every time Sandusky continued to appear on campus, in facilities, or at practice, often times accompanied by more boys.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]but joe pa did nothing wrong. monkeytoes61

No he didn't. By the rules, he did precisely what was asked of him (reporting the incident to his superior). Should he have done more? I think we can all agree that he should and could have. But he did nothing wrong.

Sigh..........no.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Oleg_Huzwog

For not doing more than the absolute bare minimum. For not doing the right thing. For simply passing along an alleged sexual assualt of a child in his facilities, and then choosing to push it out of his mind. For never calling the police. For never once bothering to ask the AD "hey, whatever happened to that thing with Sandusky we had talked about?" For not doing anything over the next 9 years every time Sandusky continued to appear on campus, in facilities, or at practice, often times accompanied by more boys.

The rules don't require him to do any of those things. Don't get me wrong, Paterno dropped the ball big time by not following it up. Pushing it out of his mind and forgetting about it was wrong. But he followed the rules, and he shouldn't have been fired.
CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

Mike McQueary, walked in on Sandusky having anal intercourse with a ten year old boy, he reported the incident to Paterno, who informed Curley. Ultimately, the only action Curley and Schultz took was to order Sandusky not to bring any children from Second Mile to the football building, which was approved by Graham Spanier. The indictment accused Curley and Schultz not only of failing to tell the police, but also of falsely telling the grand jury that McQueary never informed them of sexual activity..

Tell me.. How is this Joe Pa fault?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Master_Live
That people don't seem the need for Joe Pa to go with the information he had to the police is disturbing...
hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

McQuery seems to be getting a free pass. He's still coaching at Penn State, he's much more in the wrong than anyone other than Sandusky in this case.Not defending JoePa but McQuery's actions are indefensible. I dont claim to be a morally perfect person but if I saw a child being raped in a bathroom firstly Ido whatever I can to stop the perpretrator immediately, and I call the police. These aren't allegations, McQuery physicaly saw saw Sandusky doing this to a child and instead hecalls his dad, and never reports it to the police. He should get fired immediately and never coach football again. It's shameful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

I live in Penn St nation and everybody is freaking out. it's so annoying, everybody hates the Board of Trustees, but they had to do it

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Football... Perhaps the only thing in America that could cause a riot over a diddler enabler...an enabler that worked for a public educational institution.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]but joe pa did nothing wrong. QuistisTrepe_

No he didn't

He was told of something going on and he reported it, that's all he was supposed to do

The idea that he was supposed to follow up and make sure everything got done is wrong, he was under no obligation and everyone who says otherwise can't post here because that's taking away from all the time that they're not follow up on every little bit of misconduct they see every day.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Jaysonguy

Oleg_Huzwog

Not his responsibility

It's sickening the way that people are on him for doing his job

His job was to tell his higher ups, the idea that he himself should have told the police is one of the most unprofessional things I've ever heard. Really? He's to go to the police so that the school gets the worst PR possible? No, that's for the higher ups in the college to report it and handle the PR flak.

No people want Joe Paterno to go all lone wolf

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GamerForca

because that's taking away from all the time that they're not follow up on every little bit of misconduct they see every day.Jaysonguy

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

I live in Penn St nation and everybody is freaking out. it's so annoying, everybody hates the Board of Trustees, but they had to do it

munchlax99
The whole response to Paterno getting fired reminds of when Knight was fired when I used to live in Bloomington. For years afterward people hated the school and the administration for what they did to Knight but at the same time they had to do it for obvious reasons.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Jaysonguy

Paterno did what he was required to do

Anyone who has a problem with that can't be posting here because they're very busy tracking down and following up on every bit of misconduct they hear about every day

Paterno heard something was wrong and reported it, that's it, done.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"] Punished for what? Following the rules to the letter?monkeytoes61

The rules don't require him to do any of those things. Don't get me wrong, Paterno dropped the ball big time by not following it up. Pushing it out of his mind and forgetting about it was wrong. But he followed the rules, and he shouldn't have been fired.

Following the rules in this case, only means he can't face criminal charges. Like you say, he dropped the ball big time. Really REALLY big time. Big enough that the ONLY possible action was immediate dismissal. There was no other option.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Oleg_Huzwog

following up on every bit of misconduct they hear about every dayJaysonguy

Are you out of your ****ing mind?!? "bit of misconduct"?!?

This wasn't an alleged DUI for his quarterback. This wasn't a booster giving cash to one of his linebackers. We're talking about a little boy getting raped! Whether you're a football coach, or some random guy behind a desk... when you hear about that, you ****ing follow up on it! Whether you're a football coach, or some random guy behind a desk... when you see an alleged child rapist wandering around your place of work with more boys, you ****ing do something!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]following up on every bit of misconduct they hear about every dayOleg_Huzwog

Are you out of your ****ing mind?!? "bit of misconduct"?!?

This wasn't an alleged DUI for his quarterback. This wasn't a booster giving cash to one of his linebackers. We're talking about a little boy getting raped! Whether you're a football coach, or some random guy behind a desk... when you hear about that, you ****ing follow up on it! Whether you're a football coach, or some random guy behind a desk... when you see an alleged child rapist wandering around your place of work with more boys, you ****ing do something!

No you don't follow up on it, it's none of his business

Where do you think you are?

This is where problems come from

"You're supposed to do something"

"Are you a police officer?"

"Well no, but you have to do something"

Nope, sit down and let the people who are supposed to handle it handle it.

I swear to God, how do you drive anywhere because according to your rules you have to follow up on every single person going faster then you because they were speeding.

The man was a football coach, not a policeman. He told the people who's job it is to contact the police and then he was done, whatever happened happened

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Oleg_Huzwog

I swear to God, how do you drive anywhere because according to your rules you have to follow up on every single person going faster then you because they were speeding.Jaysonguy

No, you don't follow up on every person you meet who is speeding. You do, however, follow up on every person you meet who is putting his **** into a kid's ***.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]I swear to God, how do you drive anywhere because according to your rules you have to follow up on every single person going faster then you because they were speeding.Oleg_Huzwog

No, you don't follow up on every person you meet who is speeding. You do, however, follow up on every person you meet who is putting his **** into a kid's ***.

Paterno didn't know that

Paterno knew that something might have been going on and reported it. He didn't hide it he told the people who are specifically hired to deal with these kinds of matters about what he heard and that was the end of what he should have done.

His job is to coach football, not to research every single story he hears and make sure all the parties are ok, other people at that school are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to deal with that, that's who he contacted.

The idea that you have that a football coach is some sort of authority figure for the school and city is scary as Hell, so all the police investigations are to go through a football coach until the coach thinks it's sufficient?

That these things aren't supposed to go through police channels and pursued by law, that a freaking football coach is supposed to oversee the entire situation until he feels it's resolved?

That's *@#&*@# scary

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#87 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]I swear to God, how do you drive anywhere because according to your rules you have to follow up on every single person going faster then you because they were speeding.Jaysonguy

Paterno didn't know that

Paterno knew that something might have been going on and reported it. He didn't hide it he told the people who are specifically hired to deal with these kinds of matters about what he heard and that was the end of what he should have done.

His job is to coach football, not to research every single story he hears and make sure all the parties are ok, other people at that school are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to deal with that, that's who he contacted.

The idea that you have that a football coach is some sort of authority figure for the school and city is scary as Hell, so all the police investigations are to go through a football coach until the coach thinks it's sufficient?

That these things aren't supposed to go through police channels and pursued by law, that a freaking football coach is supposed to oversee the entire situation until he feels it's resolved?

That's *@#&*@# scary

He means Paterno should've told the police, who would then have done all the investigating and such.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GamerForca

Paterno didn't know that

That's *@#&*@# scary

Jaysonguy

A coach should most certainly research allegations regarding his assistant coaches and players. Especially when said allegation involves one of his coaches sodomizing a ten year old boy. And especially when said head coach is the most powerful man on his campus. He should have a reign on the people under him, and he clearly took a back seat when he heard the story and continued to allow his coach to appear on campus, sometimes accompanied by other young boys.

But you know this, and I have once again come to the conclusion that, as always, you are playing the devil's advocate just for the sake of trolling everyone in this thread.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 CWEBB04z

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Paterno didn't know that

That's *@#&*@# scary

GamerForca

A coach should most certainly research allegations regarding his assistant coaches and players. Especially when said allegation involves one of his coaches sodomizing a ten year old boy. And especially when said head coach is the most powerful man on his campus. He should have a reign on the people under him, and he clearly took a back seat when he heard the story and continued to allow his coach to appear on campus, sometimes accompanied by other young boys.

But you know this, and I have once again come to the conclusion that, as always, you are playing the devil's advocate just for the sake of trolling everyone in this thread.

Sandusky was not part of Paterno's staff.. he retired in 1999, and this happened in 2002.. Paterno has no control over Sandusky, and what he does.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Paterno didn't know that

That's *@#&*@# scary

GamerForca

How are you even discussing this when you don't have the facts?

Sandusky wasn't even associated with the team when it's said he did these things, heck he was away from the program for 3 years when it's said he did these things.

He had no connections to Paterno

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GamerForca

[QUOTE="GamerForca"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Paterno didn't know that

That's *@#&*@# scary

Jaysonguy

How are you even discussing this when you don't have the facts?

Sandusky wasn't even associated with the team when it's said he did these things, heck he was away from the program for 3 years when it's said he did these things.

He had no connections to Paterno

Oops, slip-up, sorry about that. He was using Paterno's facilities, even after the allegations (he was even using them this year), and even though he was bringing more boys with him. Sorry, Paterno should've done more. And no, somebody speeding is not comparable to a grown man penetrating the various apertures of a young boy's body.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

rawsavon
...errr...in a word 'NO' (for a plethora of reasons)

I retract my previous statement if any part of the new rumor are true http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

My feelings

I feel that many students are made at McQuery because since he didn't go to the police they lost Joe Paterno.

I feel that maybe Joe was left as coach for so long because if a new head coach found out about this he'd go to the police.

I feel that the majority of Penn State students can go **** themselves for caring more about getting to the Rose Bowl then the safety of children.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jaysonguy

I feel that the majority of Penn State students can go **** themselves for caring more about getting to the Rose Bowl then the safety of children.

CJL13

Please explain how Penn State going to the Rose Bowl puts children in danger

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Paterno did what he was required to do

Anyone who has a problem with that can't be posting here because they're very busy tracking down and following up on every bit of misconduct they hear about every day

Paterno heard something was wrong and reported it, that's it, done.

It's impossible to take you seriously when you post stupid crap like this in every thread you enter. I can't tell if you are an expert troll or are just delusional.

I am wondering that myself reading this nonsense.
om28v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 om28v
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts

Wow, I just read the grand jury presentment. Disturbing stuff.
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Press/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 QuistisTrepe_

CWEBB04z

Oh gee, I don't know, lemme think...................Oh yeah, HE WAS THE COACH OF THE FOOTBALL TEAM AND SANDUSKY'S IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR, HOW'S THAT FOR YOU!?:|

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

Paterno gave Penn State no choice but to dismiss him. At the same time Paterno seems to be getting more heat than both Sandusky and McQueery, which is also wrong. JoePa was in the wrong but of the 3 Paterno is the least culpapable and the one getting the most blame. Im not defending him just worried we are ignoring far greater faults.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 CWEBB04z

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]

QuistisTrepe_

Oh gee, I don't know, lemme think...................Oh yeah, HE WAS THE COACH OF THE FOOTBALL TEAM AND SANDUSKY'S IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR, HOW'S THAT FOR YOU!?:|

Paterno was not Sandusky's immediate supervisor. In 2002, Sandusky was retired, and was not part of Paterno's staff.Sandusky held emeritus status, which he had unlimited access to every facility at Penn State. explain to me how Paterno was Sanduskys immediate supervisor when he was retired..