Most overrated QB in the NFL?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

I would say Mark Sanchez. I mean, is it just me or does it feel like he pretty much got carried his first two years in the NFL by the Jets' stellar defense and running game? Yet, he is one of the most recognizable faces of the NFL and has gotten plenty of compliments. Everytime I see him play, he plays decent at best and I think, "What the heck does Rex see in this guy?" He's not a bad QB by any means, but he sure isn't what many make him out to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
Hands down Tony Romo. Somehow the Cowboys are hyped as a Superbowl contender every season, and there are analyst claiming that Romo is "elite." It usually only takes a couple of weeks before both claims are laid to rest. People need to get over the Cowboys. They have the most overrated QB in the league, and they are the most overrated team in the league. (even though they never do anything year after year)
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Hands down Tony Romo. Somehow the Cowboys are hyped as a Superbowl contender every season, and there are analyst claiming that Romo is "elite." It usually only takes a couple of weeks before both claims are laid to rest. People need to get over the Cowboys. They have the most overrated QB in the league, and they are the most overrated team in the league. (even though they never do anything year after year)GoldenElementXL
Tony Romo simply isn't very clutch, but he isn't overrated. Dude can flat out play. Matt Ryan is by far the most overrated QB in the NFL. He has so much damn talent on that team. I could pass for 200 yards a game on the Falcons.
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
Donovan McNabb has been forever. Even this year people were hyping him up and putting him on Brady's level, acting like he was gonna light it up on the Vikings. 1 week and he is worse then last year. Maybe this will change, but yeah.
sixringz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sixringz1
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts

Matt Ryan. I've been saying it for 2 years. He's a very good game manager. If you give him a good running attack and only ask him to make a few plays here and there he's fine, but if they fall behind and put the ball in his hands to make plays it's all over. You saw it in the playoffs last year, and hell you saw it just last week. He's a smart qb with an average arm, average deep ball accuracy and average footwork in the pocket. He's Chad Pennington in his prime. And i think the media has overhyped him and put this protective bubble around him because he is the anti-mike vick in Atlanta. What Vick did and how he left that franchise high and dry really was a shame and it seems as if the media had to quickly erase the memory of Vick by boosting up their new qb. It's not Ryan's fault, but it is what it is. All this "Matty Ice" stuff needs to stop.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#6 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
It seems like I am the only one, but Michael Vick. I need to see more than one year of success before I rank him among the upper echelon of QBs in the league like everyone else already has. I hope he proves me wrong, because I like the story, and I have nothing against him. But I just don't see it quite yet.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

It seems like I am the only one, but Michael Vick. I need to see more than one year of success before I rank him among the upper echelon of QBs in the league like everyone else already has. I hope he proves me wrong, because I like the story, and I have nothing against him. But I just don't see it quite yet.monkeytoes61

He was very good in Atlanta so I don't think he's overrated. He is really really hyped up, but I don't think that would make him overrated.

I am going to agree with most here and say Matt Ryan. He's done alright, but everyone acts like he's one of the best and his numbers aren't that great, at least not to the level people put him at.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 i5750at4Ghz
It seems like I am the only one, but Michael Vick. I need to see more than one year of success before I rank him among the upper echelon of QBs in the league like everyone else already has. I hope he proves me wrong, because I like the story, and I have nothing against him. But I just don't see it quite yet.monkeytoes61
If you don't see it yet you never will.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]It seems like I am the only one, but Michael Vick. I need to see more than one year of success before I rank him among the upper echelon of QBs in the league like everyone else already has. I hope he proves me wrong, because I like the story, and I have nothing against him. But I just don't see it quite yet.nickdastick

He was very good in Atlanta so I don't think he's overrated. He is really really hyped up, but I don't think that would make him overrated.

I am going to agree with most here and say Matt Ryan. He's done alright, but everyone acts like he's one of the best and his numbers aren't that great, at least not to the level people put him at.

I think very good is quite a stretch. He was electric, adequate maybe. But not very good.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="nickdastick"]

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]It seems like I am the only one, but Michael Vick. I need to see more than one year of success before I rank him among the upper echelon of QBs in the league like everyone else already has. I hope he proves me wrong, because I like the story, and I have nothing against him. But I just don't see it quite yet.monkeytoes61

I think very good is quite a stretch. He was electric, adequate maybe. But not very good.

Adequate? The Falcons 2003 and 2004 records says it all imo. They went from 5-11, to 11-5. Without Vick they couldn't win a anything. Vick was and still is great. He ran for 1000 yards his last season there. No other word for that but great.
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="nickdastick"]

i5750at4Ghz

Adequate? The Falcons 2003 and 2004 records says it all imo. They went from 5-11, to 11-5. Without Vick they couldn't win a anything. Vick was and still is great. He ran for 1000 yards his last season there. No other word for that but great.

5-11 is actually a giving them too much credit that year. Vick came back from the broken ankle and won 3 of those games as the QB.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I would say Mark Sanchez. I mean, is it just me or does it feel like he pretty much got carried his first two years in the NFL by the Jets' stellar defense and running game? Yet, he is one of the most recognizable faces of the NFL and has gotten plenty of compliments. Everytime I see him play, he plays decent at best and I think, "What the heck does Rex see in this guy?" He's not a bad QB by any means, but he sure isn't what many make him out to be.

SilentSoprano

I'd have to agree with this. The guy has had a crap load of talent to work with and hasn't achieved squat. Throw Joe Flacco into this catagory as well.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuistisTrepe_

I need to see one more year like last year's performance before I'd even call him a good QB period. He has never been nor will he ever be an elite QB. He's not even a Randall Cunningham yet.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

QuistisTrepe_

I'd have to agree with this. The guy has had a crap load of talent to work with and hasn't achieved squat. Throw Joe Flacco into this catagory as well.

Joe Flacco has won playoff games in each of his three seasons. You can't expect a young player to suddenly carry a team to a SB.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

monkeytoes61

Joe Flacco has won playoff games in each of his three seasons. You can't expect a young player to suddenly carry a team to a SB.

They won playoff games in spite of him. He should have been forced to buy a ticket as he was little more than a spectator.

DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

They won playoff games in spite of him. He should have been forced to buy a ticket as he was little more than a spectator.

I still remember the media talking him up like he was Brady 2.0, saying his play was near flawless when in fact he was completing less than 50% of his passes. Most would be benched playing like that.
Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacen22
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

I know that he is not considered elite or even top 10, but Eli Manning just sucks.

He had a great game moments against the Patriots in the Superbowl but other than that the dude sux if they can't get play action going.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]It seems like I am the only one, but Michael Vick. I need to see more than one year of success before I rank him among the upper echelon of QBs in the league like everyone else already has. I hope he proves me wrong, because I like the story, and I have nothing against him. But I just don't see it quite yet.nickdastick

He wasn't very good. And I'd say mcbabb followed by ryan. Sanchez isnt really hyped by anyone so i dont see how he can be over rated.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 QuistisTrepe_

And I'd say mcbabb followed by ryan. Chutebox

You have to be rated to be overrated. No one seriously considers McNabb a solid starter anymore.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

QuistisTrepe_

And I'd say mcbabb followed by ryan.

You have to be rated to be overrated. No one seriously considers McNabb a solid starter anymore.

Maybe after the first week, but people, including some from here, think that he is still good.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I think Matt Ryan is a pretty average quarterback.
giangmiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 giangmiang
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts

Trent Edwards is going to kickaxe and have a nice run through the playoffs thanks to the Cowboys, and the chokester Romo.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 monkeytoes61

Trent Edwards is going to kickaxe and have a nice run through the playoffs thanks to the Cowboys, and the chokester Romo.

giangmiang

Yeah, he sure choked last week. You know, winning the game in OT with broken ribs and a punctured lung. Oh, wait.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
Hands down Tony Romo. Somehow the Cowboys are hyped as a Superbowl contender every season, and there are analyst claiming that Romo is "elite." It usually only takes a couple of weeks before both claims are laid to rest. People need to get over the Cowboys. They have the most overrated QB in the league, and they are the most overrated team in the league. (even though they never do anything year after year)GoldenElementXL
Lmao, who picked Dallas to win the SB this year? Who said they were SB contenders? And who says Romo is elite? Please give me proof. All I heard last week was how Romo was garbage.
Avatar image for MindFullofFudge
MindFullofFudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MindFullofFudge
Member since 2011 • 62 Posts
I agree with this.
fudger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 fudger2
Member since 2004 • 2315 Posts

Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco!

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Ryan and flacco come to mind
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 monkeytoes61
Why Flacco? I feel like he takes a lot of crap. He get's about as much praise as he deserves. No more, no less.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Why Flacco? I feel like he takes a lot of crap. He get's about as much praise as he deserves. No more, no less.monkeytoes61
John Clayton says he's elite all the time. I think he's a good QB. Certainly not elite.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Why Flacco? I feel like he takes a lot of crap. He get's about as much praise as he deserves. No more, no less.-Halftime-
John Clayton says he's elite all the time. I think he's a good QB. Certainly not elite.

John Clayton is a tool... he ranks like 33% of NFL starting QBs as elite.
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

1. Mark Sanchez

2. Mike Vick

3. Matt Ryan

4. Eli Manning

5. Kevin Kolb

And so far this year, Philip Rivers is stinking it up something fierce, although he has historically been amazing.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="nickdastick"]

i5750at4Ghz

The Falcons never had back to back winning seasons with Vick as their QB. Not once. In 2005, they went 8-8. 2006, they went 7-9.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Halftime-

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"] I think very good is quite a stretch. He was electric, adequate maybe. But not very good.heysharpshooter

The Falcons never had back to back winning seasons with Vick as their QB. Not once. In 2005, they went 8-8. 2006, they went 7-9.

They never had back to back winning seasons ever until like 2009..... That has nothing to do with Vick.
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] Adequate? The Falcons 2003 and 2004 records says it all imo. They went from 5-11, to 11-5. Without Vick they couldn't win a anything. Vick was and still is great. He ran for 1000 yards his last season there. No other word for that but great. -Halftime-

They never had back to back winning seasons ever until like 2009..... That has nothing to do with Vick.

So Vick gets credit for the 11-5 season, but no blame for the 8-8 or the 7-9?

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

heysharpshooter

I think he was referring to this part "The Falcons never had back to back winning seasons with Vick as their QB" He was pointing out the Falcons never had back to back winning seasons ever at that point.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Halftime-
[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"] They never had back to back winning seasons ever until like 2009..... That has nothing to do with Vick.No_Hablo_Ingles

I think he was referring to this part "The Falcons never had back to back winning seasons with Vick as their QB" He was pointing out the Falcons never had back to back winning seasons ever at that point.

Yup.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
I agree with you 100%. The guy finally has a good year as QB and everyone thinks he the next coming of christ.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
First of all no one has ever put him in the elite status. No one. Everyone has stated that he is a good QB who makes mistakes at the wrong time. That doesn't mean he is overrated. How can't you put them in the conversation for a superbowl? With all the probowl players that they have along with the talent. There would be no reason to think otherwise. Yes talent and probowl players don't gaurantee a superbowl or a winning season for that matter, but it definately deserves to be in the conversation.
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Most overrated?

1. Matt Ryan

2. Joe Flacco

3. Tom Brady

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 monkeytoes61

Most overrated?

1. Matt Ryan

2. Joe Flacco

3. Tom Brady

DaJuicyMan
...Have you not seen what Tom Brady has done in his career?
pokecharm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#42 pokecharm
Member since 2011 • 1474 Posts

I know that he is not considered elite or even top 10, but Eli Manning just sucks.

He had a great game moments against the Patriots in the Superbowl but other than that the dude sux if they can't get play action going.

Jacen22

THANK YOU!! I mean, I am a huge Giants fan, and Michael Strahan and the D-line knocked Brady around, that was why we won. I'll give Eli a couple of spectacular throws, but he is an INT machine, I was shocked he didn't throw one last week. I'd trade him for a box of rocks.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

Eli Manning is a league average QB but the concensus seems to be because he won a Super Bowl that he's in the upper echelon.

Joe Flacco has good games, but for the most part is very very average.

Ben Roethlisbereger is a tad bit overrated. I still think he's among the upper echelon QB's but he's not the reason the Steelers ahve been to 3 Super Bowl's.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

SilentSoprano

And what exactly do people make him out to be???? :|

Hes been a QB for TWO YEARS, 2 years. Wrap that around your head for a minute. Yet you are surprised the defense had to carry him his first year (not so much last year and this year).

Tell me, how many QBs that started 16 games in college, enter the NFL as a starter on day one and are putting up Tom Brady like performances week in and week out? As of right now I cant think of any so why are so many impatient?

No one likes him outside of NY yet hes overrated? No sports journalist has labeled him elite, and I dont know if you've notice but REX HYPES ALL HIS PLAYERS. It helps installs confidence in his players and that is why he does it, period. I must be the only one that see that :|

He has however played good in high pressure playoffs games, so the pats on his back there are well deserved. One in which he out played Tom Brady in the playoff game on the road so that is yet another plus for this young developing qb.

And by "the most recognizable faces of the NFL", getting endorsements from both the Spanish and American community helps that a lot.

So to say hes overrated is ridiculous at this point in his career.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They take advantage of having a great O-Line. But in all seriously, as a former high school QB myself, the QB position is sorted overrated. If you don't have a great O- Line or a running game, good luck. QBs who can throw on the run are more talented.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 monkeytoes61
[QUOTE="PSP107"]Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They take advantage of having a great O-Line. But in all seriously, as a former high school QB myself, the QB position is sorted overrated. If you don't have a great O- Line or a running game, good luck. QBs who can throw on the run are more talented.

Yeah, because Peyton's running game and O-line has been so stellar the last three years.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox
[QUOTE="PSP107"]Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They take advantage of having a great O-Line. But in all seriously, as a former high school QB myself, the QB position is sorted overrated. If you don't have a great O- Line or a running game, good luck. QBs who can throw on the run are more talented.

Tom doesn't really have a running game, neither does Peyton. Both are doing pretty damn good for themselves...
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

Peyton has had virtually no running game the last few years and his O-Line is nothing special. Brady doesn't have much of a run game either, but I will agree he has as long as he wants in the pocket. But both of them are incredible, not overrated.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"]Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They take advantage of having a great O-Line. But in all seriously, as a former high school QB myself, the QB position is sorted overrated. If you don't have a great O- Line or a running game, good luck. QBs who can throw on the run are more talented.bobcheeseball
Peyton has had virtually no running game the last few years and his O-Line is nothing special. Brady doesn't have much of a run game either, but I will agree he has as long as he wants in the pocket. But both of them are incredible, not overrated.

Their decison making makes them stand out though. Decison making is very important. As far as O-Line goes, I remember Manning earlier days he was getting whacked.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

Ben Roethlisbereger is a tad bit overrated. I still think he's among the upper echelon QB's but he's not the reason the Steelers ahve been to 3 Super Bowl's.

hkhatir

Sole reason? No. But he is the biggest piece of the puzzle.