kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Can I admit something? I'm not that big a fan of either Sonic Adventure game. I don't think they're terrible but I don't lavish them the way some fans do. Maybe it's because I didn't own a Dreamcast and didn't play them until they were aged Gamecube ports so maybe they would've been more spectacular if I had played them when they first came out, I don't know.

Now among Sonic fans I hear debates over which Adventure game was better but to me they both have an equal amount of flaws but if you took the best aspects of each, you'd have the perfect Sonic Adventure game. Let me try to explain.

The friends: Now at the time, being able to play separate stories as other characters was probably novel at the time back when everyone wasn't sick of them but the advantage of SA1 is you could just play Sonic's story which was the longest and had the most levels, a whopping 10 compared to five for Tails, Gamma and Knuckles, 4 for Big and 3 for Amy whereas Sonic Adventure 2 not only had less Sonic/Shadow levels but you were forced to play the mech/hunting levels as well and the Emerald hunting levels in particular dragged on waaaay too long. Plus a lot of folks took offense to Tails driving a mech and wanted him to play like he did in SA1 but rumor has it Tails wasn't going to be playable in SA2 and was shoehorned in at the last minute. The mech play works for Eggman because he has no powers, just technology. There were times in SA2 where it seemed like the shooting/hunting stages dragged on way too long and I was dying to play a fast/fun Sonic/Shadow stage again. The same complaint could be made about Unleashed. That the werehog at the most should've only been a 3rd of the gameplay and it drug on too long. Thankfully Sega has stopped doing stuff like this to pad out the game time focusing more on making a short, well made game with replay value.

Hub World: SA2 is stronger here because it has a cleaner, more streamlined map system same with the Wii Unleashed and Colors. Let's get this straight. Hub worlds in platformers are mostly pointless. It was something game designers used during the early jump to 3D to show off 3D engines and let's face it, the trend is "whatever Mario does, we do the same thing" Mario had a big open hub world in Mario 64 and everyone wanted Sonic to have a big open world exploration game which really doesn't fit with Sonic's high speed race to the finish gameplay. The hub in SA1 was pretty empty and pointless as was Peach's castle in Mario 64. Recent Mario games have ditched the hubs as has Sonic. Generations has a sort of hub but it's also very tight plus you can simply go to the camera thing near the shop and select the stage you want to visit.

Story: Both adventure games make attempts at decent stories beyond the "Eggman steals Chaos Emerlds and kidnaps animals" of the earlier games but as with most Sonic games, are marred by bad voice acting and some plot holes. In SA1 though the in game cutscenes are weird. All the characters are really jittery when standing around and the mouth movements are weird. Sonic has weird facial twitches at times and Tails and Amy look like sock puppets where the in game cutscenes of SA2 have the characters moving slightly more naturally. Though in SA1, I grew tired of them constantly recycling the "Eggman finds demon god/monster, Eggman loses control of demon god/monster and it turns on him, Sonic turns super to save the day" thing that happened in every game up to Unleashed. Probably why we were all happy to finally get to fight Eggman in a giant robot in Colors FINALLY and even with Generations, the time eater never turns on him..er..them. But neither SA story fails as bad as Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic 2006.

Chao Garden: The Chao gardens, let's face it, were Sega trying to get their hand in the massive populairity of Pokemon and Tamagotchi pets at the time. In the Dreamcast, you could upload that chao to the memory card and carry it around with you like those old keychain pets of the late 90s and this is probably why they dropped it (since we don't count Chronicles garden) but most agree that SA2 had a more engaging Chao garden system with the Chao being able to turn Hero or dark depending on who spent the most time with them as well as taking them to school where they learned tricks to show off in the garden and the "Battle" version with the option of Chao Karate. Some players totally skip this though as it was mostly an optional thing to keep you busy after the main game was done. I really hope Sega considers some sort of online support for the Chao garden when they port Sonic Adventure 2 to consoles (they missed a golden opportunity with SA1 on that).

So for me between the SA games, there is perfection. Both games have flaws though and it might explain why some want to see Sonic Adventure 3 in hopes that it would combine the best aspects of the two titles into the ideal Sonic Adventure game but sadly the game that was supposedly the successor to SA2 ended up being total ass. (Sonic 06 of course) But for me as 3D Sonic games go, I think both Colors and Generations are far superior.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Adventure 2 had more enjoyable multiplayer, which is all I've actually played out of the series. Either way, neither looks interesting enough to get as opposed to, say, Sonic Rush Adventure.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Sonic Adventure 2. I'll take double the mediocre shooting and treasure collection stages over any fishing levels.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
I guess I'll say Sonic Adventure 2 because of the great multiplayer and Chao Garden.
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts

I'm going to go with Sonic Adventure 2 as well. My only major problem with it were the treasure hunting stages. Compared to the list of problems I have with Adventure and it's not even a contest.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

I'll say this: Sonic Adventure is better on Dreamcast, I find Sonic Adventure 2 better on GameCube. At least IMO.

I think the mech levels in SA2 were fine. I thought there were fun. It was a good spin on the usual "get to the end" formula. I believe pretty much every aspect both games had though, it was better in Adventure 2.  

007hawk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 007hawk25
Member since 2008 • 2093 Posts

I definitely prefer Adventure 2. The Sonic/Shadow stages are better, the treasure hunting stages are better, voice acting and animations are better, and most importantly, it doesn't have fishing. Not to mention the fact that Adventure 2 has the best multiplayer in any Sonic game, especially in the Gamecube version.

Say what you will about them, but I actually like the mech levels. They took everything that was good about Gamma's stages in Adventure 1 and made it better. Also, I don't mind the treasure hunting levels. Sure, they can become tedious at times (especially in bigger stages like Mad Space), but it's definitely not the worst thing I've played in a 3D Sonic game.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Can I get a drum roll? Thanks. The first one. Why on earth would I say that? The writing, Sonic/Shadow gameplay, and chao garden were far improved in the second one, after all. The problem is the pacing. The Mech stages, while entertaining, are slow and don't have much more skill beyond "shoot this before it shoots you," as you're not fast enough to reliably dodge. While that's not too bad, The Hunting stages are just PAINFUL to slog through until you've played them enough to know where it is after the first PC hint. Mad Space and Meteor Herd took me upwards of twenty minutes my first time through. The first Sonic Adventure, for all it's flaws, is MORE LIKE A SONIC GAME than its sequel. With the exception of the fishing levels, everything's paced at a good clip.
- Sonic has double the number of levels of any other character. GOOD START.
- Tails's stages are all about moving as quickly as possible to the end.
- Knuckles actually has a useful emerald radar, and you can't tell me they're not fast paced when 4/5 of the levels have their hardest challenge listed as "finish in under 1 Minute" (the last one's only 2.5).
- Amy's levels are slightly slower paced due to some guessing and puzzle solving, but the presence of Zero adds some pressure and intensity, and she only gets three levels, anyhow.
- Gamma's also on the slower side, but with the timer constantly pressuring you as it ticks towards your doom, well, you won't notice.
- Yeah, yeah, Big exists, but the frog's never more than, like, 10 feet away from the start of the level. You can do them all in under a minute, and there's some nice exploration to be had in his levels if you care for it. Oh, and while I said the writing was better in #2, I think the story and storytelling were both way better in the first one. - All the pieces of the story slowly fall into place by following different characters' perspectives. - Each character gets a unique glimpse into the past from Tikal, which all comes together at the end. - The chao were actually a part of the plot, which was a huge and pleasant surprise when I first saw it, as I had spent so much time raising the ***** things... - The Gamma/Amy subplot was really well done. I can't emphasize how awesome Gamma's story is. He talks about saving his siblings, yet he destroys them, and then he kills himself, and then with the bird parents and the way it tied into Amy's little subplot... seriously, this was one of those story things that left an impression on me that won't go away. So, to conclude - #1 is faster paced - #1 has a unique mode of storytelling - #1 has unique bits of story that can only happen in the Sonic universe (SEE: Gamma). - #2 has better writing, but if you were to change out those characters for non-Sonic characters, would you really even notice?
- The same cannot be said of #1. Tails has character development, and Gamma's story only works in the Sonic Universe due to the "animals inside robots" thing. Think about it for a while and I think you'll see that #1 is a much better designed game.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

2.It had the better Chao garden,better Sonic levels,Shadow...only thing I hated was the treasure hunting levels.

Although,I for one liked the hub world A1 had...and Amy's levels.I also found the treasure hunting levels to be better in the first one,although I'm unsure why..

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonicphc
I also found the treasure hunting levels to be better in the first one,although I'm unsure why...SuperSmashBro1
I have helped quantify that for you in the post prior. ;)
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts
I suppose your right,I never really noticed that..
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
It's really hard for me to say, both had their strengths and weaknesses, but if I had to go with the better story, Sonic Adventure 2 had the better story, and it was somewhat more mature in tone than Adventure.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cloud_765
We should just agree the Sonic Adventure games were where Sonic was at his peak storywise and they need to find the writes for those games, lock them in a room with all they could ever want, and write the next Sonic game's story.
zmanrwks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 zmanrwks
Member since 2010 • 12562 Posts
Sonic Adventure 2. Both are awesome though.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 barren167
We should just agree the Sonic Adventure games were where Sonic was at his peak storywise and they need to find the writes for those games, lock them in a room with all they could ever want, and write the next Sonic game's story.Cloud_765
How do you know that that isn't what they did for Generations? Or Colors? Or maybe, 2006? The possibilities are about as many as the number of games Sonic's had since then.
zmanrwks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zmanrwks
Member since 2010 • 12562 Posts

Now the Sonic Adventure games had a great story and I'ma let them finish, but Sonic Colors had the best story in a Sonic game of all time. OF ALL TIME!

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

How do you know that that isn't what they did for Generations? Or Colors? Or maybe, 2006? The possibilities are about as many as the number of games Sonic's had since then.barren167

Because in Colors and Generations, Sonic didn't say "LONG TIME, NO SEE." 

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 barren167
People don't use the same cliches every game they make.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
Sonic Heroes had evil pieces of paper which had visual audio of the writer of the letter.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

People don't use the same cliches every game they make.barren167

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWchCk2kIs 

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 macrules_640
It is hard for us to agree on things isn't it? :P
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 barren167
Might be worse. We might agree on everything, thus nullifying the use for any communication other than posting news topics that die after one post.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sonicphc
Sonic Heroes had evil pieces of paper which had visual audio of the writer of the letter.Soniczero1993
... ... ... WHAT DOES THIS SENTENCE MEAN *brainsplode*
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 white_kunoichi

[QUOTE="barren167"]People don't use the same cliches every game they make.sonictrainer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWchCk2kIs

That....gives me a headache.

But both Adventures had weakness to them. I just play around in Knuckles/Rouge stages, punching things and throwing Omochao.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#25 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Sonic Adventure games either. However, I do prefer the first one out of the two. I like games like Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations way more than them.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 barren167
[QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]Sonic Heroes had evil pieces of paper which had visual audio of the writer of the letter.sonicphc

Letters that are actually people that talk to you so as to deliver the message. Only one that I know of though, and it was "evil" because it was from Metal Sonic and featuring Eggman.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sonicphc
[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]Sonic Heroes had evil pieces of paper which had visual audio of the writer of the letter.barren167

Letters that are actually people that talk to you so as to deliver the message. Only one that I know of though, and it was "evil" because it was from Metal Sonic and featuring Eggman.

Heh. Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. *brainunasplode*
koolkat14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 koolkat14
Member since 2009 • 10428 Posts
I've actually never played both of those games before.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#29 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts
I was watching the Brainscratch commentary of Sonic Adventure where they played the Dreamcast original and there are some distinct differences like anyone notice the blocky model for Sonic when he's on the plane stages and some differences in character models and textures.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#30 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Sonic Adventure 2 since it has more replayabilty and no fishing.
raimgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 raimgamer
Member since 2008 • 18641 Posts

Both games were good, for their time. As Sonic PHC redacted, SA 1 had a better storytelling, as everything wrapped up in the end. This didn't all as much in SA 2. I prefer the speed based levels in the second one though. Another thing would be the endboss, since I think Perfect Chaos was better, I preferred the stage, compared to the space battle in the second one. It just didn't feel as good.

Also, Shadow the Hedgehog was completely contradictory. I mean what the hell, Eggman's grandfather was trying to destroy the world in SA 2, but in Shadow the Hedgehog, he's "Shadow, you have to save the world?" The heck?

I didn't get to the final battle in Sonic Heroes, but something I did like was how they implemented powers. Sonic had tornado attack which I enjoyed a lot.

I haven't played a Sonic game since Shadow though.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Soniczero1993
The Metal Sonic fight in Heroes pretty much mirrors the Devil Doom fight right down to the quotes. Just replace "I am the real ultimate life form" with "I am the real Sonic".
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 macrules_640
Let's not even go there with that game. :P
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 white_kunoichi
Shadow's stupid anyways.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sonicphc

I haven't played a Sonic game since Shadow though.

raimgamer
Someone get this man a Colors or Generations, STAT!
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 barren167
He has Steam...
raimgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 raimgamer

He has Steam...barren167

Shoo, you haven't bought games either.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 barren167
First off, I was alluding to the fact that someone could get you the game (Generations) as a gift via Steam, not quite seriously on my part. Second, I'm locked out of my account, I think it's been hacked (as it says it's logged in on another computer). Going on two days since I noticed the issue...
raimgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 raimgamer

One person actually gave me a gift. Amazing.

And wow, that's terrible. That's why it's good to have passwords that involve alphanumerical things and symbols combined.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Soniczero1993

First off, I was alluding to the fact that someone could get you the game (Generations) as a gift via Steam, not quite seriously on my part. Second, I'm locked out of my account, I think it's been hacked (as it says it's logged in on another computer). Going on two days since I noticed the issue...barren167

Lawl.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 macrules_640
Well, that's just prime.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cloud_765

The Metal Sonic fight in Heroes pretty much mirrors the Devil Doom fight right down to the quotes. Just replace "I am the real ultimate life form" with "I am the real Sonic".Soniczero1993

Shadow's game had a lot of Heroes s*** in it. They didn't exactly build Shadow's game from the ground up. *looks at the fact they use the exact same character models* 

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts

The major operative difference being that Heroes, although not the best, or even one of the better, Sonic games, was decent. And Shadow was absolutely horrendous.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Soniczero1993

*Clap clap clap*

Finally someone understands Heroes.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud_765
Heroes is okay. Still don't like the completely linear level design in too many stages or the fact Team Chaotix's gameplay did not fit the styIe of a platformer with straight-line levels at all.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 barren167
I just hated the Chaos Emerald stages. I've nothing against replaying games in general, being forced to do it hardy disturbs me.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 macrules_640
Those damn bombs always slowed me down, and made me lose the chaos emerald.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Soniczero1993
You guys SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 macrules_640
Well, excuse us! :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Soniczero1993
I know, I know. A lot of you don't have the talent to master both Classic Sonic AND Modern Sonic.