Smash Bros. Next Announced. No sign of Sonic yet.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well now it's official that we have a new SSB on the way called Smash Bros. Next coming out for the WiiU and 3DS next year meaning soon the dojo will be starting up. Time to stay up till 4am waiting to see new reveals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHn3kXztnQg

Well surprisingly in the reveal trailer, we saw a lot of familiar faces. Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, DK, Bowser, Pikachu and Pit and so far 3 new characters were shown off. The Villager from Animal Crossing, the Wii Fit Female Trainer (well at least it's another female on the roster) and Mega Man who everyone was begging for as soon as Sonic was announced for Brawl.

Surprisingly Sonic was not shown in the reveal but honestly I wouldn't worry about him not making it in given Sega signed a 3 game contract with Sega and Sonic Lost World is exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Plus Megaman's the new guy, let him have his moment though by God they gave him a hell of a debut trailer.

However I would say, don't hold your breath over Sonic's friends being playable this time around. I just don't see it happening. If we want Knuckles and Shadow to beat up each other, Sega's going to have to make their own Sonic character fighting game.

But we'll keep an eye out for Sonic's reveal.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Actually, I think the working titles are "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U" and "Super Smash Bros. for 3DS". No actual name confirmed so far, and even the official site's just called "smashbros.com". Also, yeah, I'm not seeing any Sonic friends in the game. Maybe, maybe Shadow as an alternate Sonic skin or whatnot, but nothing else.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
If we want Knuckles and Shadow to beat up each other, Sega's going to have to make their own Sonic character fighting game.kbaily
Sonic Battle, anyone?
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kbaily

[QUOTE="kbaily"] If we want Knuckles and Shadow to beat up each other, Sega's going to have to make their own Sonic character fighting game.sonicphc
Sonic Battle, anyone?

Well as you pointed out in your review of it, Battle suffers from some fundamental flaws. The character roster is unbalanced and the limits of the GBA hardware don't really give the depth needed for a good fighter, malnly only having a couple buttons to work with.

It would be nice if Sega made an updated version of Sonic Battle/Sonic the Fighters maybe in the Brawl format with all the Sonic characters. God knows there are fans would would buy that. And many have been saying for a while, when's Sega going to make their own Smash Bros. roster beat em up? I mean they've done the Tennis and 2 racing games and people liked it. Come on Sega, where's "Sega Super All Star Smackdown Brawl Cage Match or Something" (TM)?

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Come on Sega, where's "Sega Super All Star Smackdown Brawl Cage Match or Something" (TM)?kbaily
Sonic and Sega All Stars Face Punching Explosion Time Extravaganza ?
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Sonic and SEGA All Stars Omega Death War. 

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I do hope they keep Sonic in, although it's equally likely he might not be in. But it's okay, BECAUSE MEGA MAN IS IN SSB4 OMG GUYS HELP I'M SPAZZING WITH EXCITEMENT!!
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Soniczero1993
I'm going to molest your waifu Cloud.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_765
But but but... Don't do that... T_T
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kbaily

I do hope they keep Sonic in, although it's equally likely he might not be in. But it's okay, BECAUSE MEGA MAN IS IN SSB4 OMG GUYS HELP I'M SPAZZING WITH EXCITEMENT!!Cloud_765

Well as a kid I would write little stories and draw pictures of Mario, Sonic, Link and Megaman having adventures together so having all of them in Smash would be like my childhood right there.

But for now let's enjoy creepy animal Crossing Villiager memes.

http://cheezburger.com/88581

Seriously after all this it made me go out and get "New Leaf."

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 barren167
Personally, my childhood (AKA, um, a few months ago...) crossover was Mario, Sonic, Steve?, and Zero. So I've the feeling I won't get mine... :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kbaily

Well we have a bit of unsettling news regarding Sonic's return.

First off Sakurai is apologizing now for characters that are going to get cut. http://www.shacknews.com/article/79868/smash-bros-director-apologizes-in-advance-for-cut-characters Though we kinda knew this ahead of time that he wasn't going to make the roster larger and instead go through and drop characters that were still too clone like.

Also this article states that we shouldn't expect ALOT of third party characters being added. This doesn't rule out Sonic but I thought I'd just post it. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/post_msg.php?topic_id=29405232&union_id=4363

However I still think it's a fair shot that Sonic's going to be here. I think Snake has a stronger chance of being dropped. Many see Lucario getting replaced with the X/Y Mewtwo. Marth or Ike might get replaced by another Fire Emblem rep. We'll only have one Link in this game.

But definitely don't expect to have any playable Sonic pals now. At Best Eggman might show up as a boss for whatever story mode they put in.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Soniczero1993
Gamespot posts are article worthy now?
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kbaily

Sorry that was a computer error. Here's the correct article.

http://gengame.net/2013/06/smash-bros-details-third-party-characters-cross-compatibility-and-3ds-limitations/

Fan favorite Mega Man will be included in the Smash Bros. roster, but can we expect to see any other non-Nintendo characters join the fight?

Kotaku: Back to characters, I just have one more question about the characters real quick-is there any third-party character that you'd most want to see in a Smash Bros. game?

Sakurai: I'm really sorry. If I were to answer that question, I'd get in a lot of trouble in a lot of different ways, so I can't answer. (laughter) But I think I can say generally that there won't be a trend of adding a lot of third-party characters. You can sort of think of Mega Man as being the special case.

How about all of our favorite characters from previous Smash Bros. entries? Apparently the roster size is going to be somewhat limited, due to the capabilities of the hardware in Nintendo's handheld system.

Kotaku: Should people expect returning characters, should they expect most of their favorites from Brawl to come back?

Sakurai: The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS, so we're forced into a situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree, but we're really working hard to include as many characters as possible.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Soniczero1993
It might sound like I'm being greedy, but I honestly think Sonic should be in Smash mainly because SEGA promised Nintendo 3 exclusive games for their system of their speedy blue money maker, which is proven to be best on Nintendo products. I think the least they could do is include him.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbaily

If Sonic does show up, what stage should he have. We already know Megaman has Dr. Wily's fortress but I think a lot of us would like something besides Green Hill zone this time.

Sky Sanctuary would be awesome especially after it was reimagined for Generations and All Stars Racing Transformed. Knuckles and the Master Emerald could hang in the background.

Chemical Plant could be awesome with the hazard of the rising purple water.

If we're going to use Nintendo exclusives then most of us would pick either Tropical Resort or Planet Wisp from Sonic Colors.

And of course Sonic Lost World being a Nintendo exclusive could also lend itself to good battle arenas.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 barren167
I vote Asteroid Coaster for 3DS and City Escape for Wii U.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Soniczero1993

City Escape for Wii U.barren167

YES!

ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND! GOT PLACES TO GO GOTTA FOLLOW MY RAINBOW! 

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

[QUOTE="barren167"]City Escape for Wii U.Soniczero1993

YES!

ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND! GOT PLACES TO GO GOTTA FOLLOW MY RAINBOW! 

Agreed. The GUN Trunk will be the ultimate stage hazard. 

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cloud_765
I think Sonic could _possibly_ make the cut since SEGA and Nintendo are in a partnership right now. Namco Bandai and SEGA were partnered in Project X Zone alongside Capcom. All the companies are indirectly or directly working with Nintendo. While I doubt anyone from Namco will actually join the fray (unless Nintendo makes another special case and allows one character), I will hold onto the slight possibility of Sonic returning. 
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kbaily

So the latest news to come out of SSB is that they aren't going to have a story mode with cutscenes this time around:

http://gengame.net/2013/07/kotaku-upcoming-smash-bros-games-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-cutscenes/

So those of us hoping that Sonic might have a bigger part in this one's story, sorry. What's more amazing is the number of folks around the web having a fit over this namely because Sakurai's reasoning was the internet spoils stories but honestly Subspace while a nice distratction wasn't that great. The fighting characters weren't terribly suited for platforming and the story was kinda "meh" and it's only real advantage was it allowed you to unlock the rest of the roster faster than grinding hours of vs. matches or figuring out special requirements.

Still it's funny to go to certain sites and see people saying they're not buying this Smash because it has no story which is like saying you buy CoD for the story and the fact that Smash 64 and Melee had no story and were just fine. Plus others figure that maybe Adventure mode will return which many preferred anyway and that the time and resources not making a story mode will go to more important things like online multiplayer.