icecoldmarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 icecoldmarty
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
Hello everyone it's been a long while since I last been here. Now just recently Gametrailers release a new Top 10 episode. It's about Top 10 Worst Blockbusters. You are probably wondering what does this have to do with Sonic. Well I'll tell you ET on Atari 2600 was number 2 on that list. I got really upset when I saw them pick the Sonic franchise as the worst blockbusters ever. I can't believe they even did that I mean don't they realized how many people love Sonic. Clearly they just loss my respect for naming one of my favorite series with such a title. I'm very insulted as should all of you will be once you see it for yourselves.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-gt-countdown/727456

To be honest, they should have worded that properly if they were only going to pick on 5 games and still say that his more recent games are doing good.

Then again, Top 10 lists are someone's opinion. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Ah boo hoo.

The thing is they're right. Yes Sonic has had some good handheld games and both Colors (which GT slammed) and Generations were definitely improvements for the series but basically everything between the end of the Dreamcast up until 2010 was crap. Sega knew this. Hell Sega admitted that for several years they were milking Sonic as a cash cow to stupid kids and idiotic delusional fans like ourselves. You can defend the crappy titles all you want, try to justify that you didn't waste $50 on crap but in the end we more than likely bought a subpar Sonic game simply because it was a Sonic game. There's being a fan and then being a retarded fan. Go back into the Blue Blur archives and read my article "just say no." Basically during the time when Sonic games were consistently sucking, that we were contributing because why should Sega put money and effort into making the game if we're willing to buy garbage. This is why I was so thrilled when Sonic and the Black Knight tanked. Defend Sonic's larping adventure all you want, the game is short, half assed and only exists for Sega to squeeze money out of kids and fans dumb enough to think Sonic using a sword was cool. As Yahtzee said "I know it's your opinion but your opinion is WRONG!!"

As for some of the other games on the list a lot of blame can be placed on lazy developers and greedy publishers. It's easy to blame the consumers who don't read reviews and all but I believe that you can make a good game out of anything. The only reason bad games exist is either lazy developers or greedy publishers or a combination of the 2. Then there's kids, up until the Wii dominance this past generation, publishers really enjoyed ripping off kids because they could. The same reason Disney made horrid direct to DVD sequels because as Nostalgia Chick put it "Entertainment is the only thing in our children's lives where we'll look at it and say 'it doesn't have to be good, it's just for my children'" You wouldnt' say that about a swingset or a car seat right. And for a long time, publishers not called Nintendo (though they have their share too) took this same mindset when it came to games made for kids. Making shoddy half assed games that lazy parents would buy as an electronic babysitter. Kinect is the worst offender. Something that divorced father's bought to occupy their children on the weekends they were having them because they were sick of listening to them cry about not having their Wii to play. I'm rather glad the Kinect launch games made the list, most shamless way to rip off Nintendo's idea with an overglorfied Eyetoy. Sure the Wii's got plenty of crap but at least when it was first launch it was new and innovative. Move and Kinect were just the HD twins playing catch up hoping to make easy cash off the less discerning casuals.

I could go on forever with this rant but yes, Between the years of 2002-2010, Sonic was as subpar series that Sega was merely using to make easy money off blindly devoted fans and stupid kids. We probably wasted a lot of money on crappy Sonic games when we could've been buying under rated gems like Okami, Zack and Wiki, Little King's Story, Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, etc.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Well I think that some Sonic games sales have dropped dramaticly it wasn't until Colors or Generations they pick up again but apparently Gametrailers hated Colors for some reason.

You can throw in Sonic Heroes as well into that mix since it was a multiplatform game but I can't argue with Unleashed or Sonic 2006. I think they should do a top 10 most underatted blockbusters. 

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Now Sonic hasn't been himself since the Adventure days, and even though Adventure 2 is probably the most overrated game ever (even if it is good), it was still a fun game. Moan all you want about Tails or Knuckles, the game was fun. I don't mind Knuckles because the only way you will find the level drags is if you suck. If you're good like me, Knuckles won't take you any more than say one or 2 minutes.

Tails I'm used to because I love machines, and I liked Gamma. The shooting sections reminded me of an old school game like Galiga, but in 3-D. So therefore, I didn't say Tails and Robotnik had crap levels, because they weren't. Yes Tails got pushed in at the last second, but to say it was a total failure is BS. If that's the case, then they wouldn't work for Robotnik either, who has no powers at all and needs a mech (if you don't count running faster than Sonic herp derp).

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed Heroes. Once you beat the game, you don't have a reason to play someone like the Chaotix. If you're main complaint was them, and you beat the game already, what are you still harping about? The game is done, Metal Sonic is beaten, there's no reason to go back to anyone than Sonic or Team Dark. People who complain at this point, as I say, b**** just to b****. If you had a problem with this game BEFORE Shadow started to dive the series down to crapville, than maybe Sonic isn't for you.

Although I'm amazed GT didn't include Adventure, they went straight to SA2.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kbaily

With a lot of the ones on that list, you have to look at their situation as well.

Hey You Pikachu!- can't blame Nintendo for trying to cash in on the Pokemon craze. While the N64 was taking a beating at the hands of the PS1, they had no competion from the handheld market and then Pokemon came along and solidified it though many contenplated why Nintendo never made a console Pokemon to rival the quality of the handhelds though Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium were at least nice companions to the GB games. The later let you upload your GBA cart and battle with friends on your TV. Though Pikachu could be seen as a blatant cash in, if anything it really was the precursor to Nintendogs and perhaps it was one of those cases like with the Power Glove, in interesting concept but the tech just wasn't there at the time. Also watch Screwattack's Game Vault of this one because it's hilarious. Butterfrees poop balloons when angered. Really.

ET and PacMan on Atari- If you've read up on either title, both were victims of the bad business practices leading up to the crash of 1984. The story of ET everyone knows was the company spent millions to get the rights then only had six weeks to make the game to get it out for Christmas (not all that different from Sonic 06's story) and the Atari Pac Man consumers got was in fact a Beta I believe and not a finished product but was shoved out anyway.

Iron Man 2, Star Wars Ep 1, Enter the Matrix- At this point we know why movie tie ins will sell but suck. Devs are on breakneck schedules to release movie tie in titles in tandum with the film's release and sadly fans of said films, though mostly kids will buy it because they want to experience their favorite movie in an interactive form. It's no different from tie in merchandise at Walmart or the Lorax pushing SUVs or McDonald's Happy Meal toys though by now we all except that A) movie tie in games usually suck and B) stupid kids will still buy them. God knows how many times I have to tell my mother in law to not buy that crappy (insert movie here) game for my nephew and steer her towards something slightly better.

Wii Music- Even die hard Nintendo fans who were forgiving of Wii Sports and Wii Fit saw Wii Music and went "seriously?" And it might have not been so hated had Nintendo featured SOMETHING else besides an Animal Crossing rehash at E3 that year. Seriously Nintendo was pushing this "music creator" game as the big fall seller and NOTHING ELSE. The best way I can describe Wii Music is instead of comparing it to Guitar Hero and it's many spawn as many thought it was, imagine Little Big Planet but with no single player mode, if it was a game with just a level creator and nothing else. This is the downside of emphasizing "user generated content" as the main focal point of your game. Wii Music's song list was simplistic because the idea was you were supposed to learn the ropes then "create" your own music much like the music maker back on the SNES Mario Paint. Though I liked what Game Overthinker said "all of you whining saying 'whaa Miyamoto has lost it' cut the b.s. because if they made the same game and used branded characters and called it Super Mario Orchestra you wouldn't be complaining, you would've bought it already." Just like folks who hate on the mini game shovelware packs on bargain bins but then turn around and buy the same thing with Mario and Sonic slapped on it.

Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

Ah boo hoo.

The thing is they're right. Yes Sonic has had some good handheld games and both Colors (which GT slammed) and Generations were definitely improvements for the series but basically everything between the end of the Dreamcast up until 2010 was crap. Sega knew this. Hell Sega admitted that for several years they were milking Sonic as a cash cow to stupid kids and idiotic delusional fans like ourselves. You can defend the crappy titles all you want, try to justify that you didn't waste $50 on crap but in the end we more than likely bought a subpar Sonic game simply because it was a Sonic game. There's being a fan and then being a retarded fan. Go back into the Blue Blur archives and read my article "just say no." Basically during the time when Sonic games were consistently sucking, that we were contributing because why should Sega put money and effort into making the game if we're willing to buy garbage. This is why I was so thrilled when Sonic and the Black Knight tanked. Defend Sonic's larping adventure all you want, the game is short, half assed and only exists for Sega to squeeze money out of kids and fans dumb enough to think Sonic using a sword was cool. As Yahtzee said "I know it's your opinion but your opinion is WRONG!!"

As for some of the other games on the list a lot of blame can be placed on lazy developers and greedy publishers. It's easy to blame the consumers who don't read reviews and all but I believe that you can make a good game out of anything. The only reason bad games exist is either lazy developers or greedy publishers or a combination of the 2. Then there's kids, up until the Wii dominance this past generation, publishers really enjoyed ripping off kids because they could. The same reason Disney made horrid direct to DVD sequels because as Nostalgia Chick put it "Entertainment is the only thing in our children's lives where we'll look at it and say 'it doesn't have to be good, it's just for my children'" You wouldnt' say that about a swingset or a car seat right. And for a long time, publishers not called Nintendo (though they have their share too) took this same mindset when it came to games made for kids. Making shoddy half assed games that lazy parents would buy as an electronic babysitter. Kinect is the worst offender. Something that divorced father's bought to occupy their children on the weekends they were having them because they were sick of listening to them cry about not having their Wii to play. I'm rather glad the Kinect launch games made the list, most shamless way to rip off Nintendo's idea with an overglorfied Eyetoy. Sure the Wii's got plenty of crap but at least when it was first launch it was new and innovative. Move and Kinect were just the HD twins playing catch up hoping to make easy cash off the less discerning casuals.

I could go on forever with this rant but yes, Between the years of 2002-2010, Sonic was as subpar series that Sega was merely using to make easy money off blindly devoted fans and stupid kids. We probably wasted a lot of money on crappy Sonic games when we could've been buying under rated gems like Okami, Zack and Wiki, Little King's Story, Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, etc.

kbaily

Sonic has always been better then Crash Bandicoot and Spyro combined, and thats good enough for me.

If you can say that basicly the entire Sonic series of 2002-2010 was crap (ignoring the handheld games you usually defend), then you can easily say that "Basicly" the whole world loves Jersey Shore. But thats not true.

What has driven you to think that every single employee of SEGA and SONIC TEAM hate and have no care in making sonic games? They LOVE making Sonic games, they just sometimes suck at it. Simple as that. If they were really just in it for the money, then why is there so little DLC in every game? Why don't they just sell him on the Iphone for cheap? Why do they pour so much money into every game?

I guess it's possible to be bad at something you have a passion for, such as making movies... -Edward D. Wood jr 

Y'now Kbaily, and I mean this with most respect....

We are Sonicspot, not the Spanish inquisition, anyone can join the union, even a fanboy/girl.  

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chocolate1325

Well when you have the popularity the Sonic series had it was probably no surprise it was number 1 but you can't say all the games were bad or medicore. I mean we still had the Advance and Rush Series,SEGA All Star Racing,Sonic Generations and Colors.

There are those ones who have people divided like Secret of the Rings and Heroes and those that just suck like the Riders games,Mario and Sonic series and the 2 dissapointing main series games inUnleashed and Sonic 2006. 

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
I'm just glad Sonic got back some of his stride with Colors, and Generations.
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

Ah boo hoo.

kbaily
Yep.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kbaily

Well I like this Screwattack blog and it makes a good point of how the last two console games were good but some people want to stay on the hate train because they just want something to hate. And it makes a good parallel with the Batman movies in that what if all the hate from Batman and Robin carried over to Batman Begins meaning it would've never got a fair chance.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/case-you-havent-noticed-last-two-sonic-games-were-good

There are those who didn't like Colors for some odd reason thinking the whisps were too "gimmicky" or "too much 2D" but still lavish over the Adventure games full of gimmicks or the fact that Wii haters assume that since Colors is a third party Wii game it must suck and we can yell about the good handheld games till we're blue in the face and yet there's still this idiotic mindset that "handheld games don't count" doesn't matter how good it is, Sonic had to have a good full disc release HD console game to truly "return."

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts

Sonic has always been better then Crash Bandicoot and Spyro combined, and thats good enough for me.

If you can say that basicly the entire Sonic series of 2002-2010 was crap (ignoring the handheld games you usually defend), then you can easily say that "Basicly" the whole world loves Jersey Shore. But thats not true.

What has driven you to think that every single employee of SEGA and SONIC TEAM hate and have no care in making sonic games? They LOVE making Sonic games, they just sometimes suck at it. Simple as that. If they were really just in it for the money, then why is there so little DLC in every game? Why don't they just sell him on the Iphone for cheap? Why do they pour so much money into every game?

I guess it's possible to be bad at something you have a passion for, such as making movies... -Edward D. Wood jr 

Y'now Kbaily, and I mean this with most respect....

We are Sonicspot, not the Spanish inquisition, anyone can join the union, even a fanboy/girl.  

Hyrule4EVER
Yeah, I'm inclined to disagree with kbaily and agree with Hyrule, here. Sega definitely was pushing up the release cycle, but for a while I think we all quite honestly appreciated it. It's not often a series gives you a decent game every 9-12 months featuring a familiar gameplay style. And, yeah, I say decent for almost all of the 2002 - 2010 releases. 06 was awful, but a lot of the others were plenty playable, and even enjoyable at times. It just took us a while to start pushing back when we were getting quantity over quality. I mean, right now we have little to hype about. Sure, Ep 2 is on the way, but we know exactly what we're expecting with that one: Sonic 2++. It's hard for me to recall a time when we had a dearth of console game to look forward to as we do right now. I kind of liked having the next thing a few months around the corner, even if I wasn't going to buy it ;)
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sonicphc

Well I like this Screwattack blog and it makes a good point of how the last two console games were good but some people want to stay on the hate train because they just want something to hate. And it makes a good parallel with the Batman movies in that what if all the hate from Batman and Robin carried over to Batman Begins meaning it would've never got a fair chance.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/case-you-havent-noticed-last-two-sonic-games-were-good

There are those who didn't like Colors for some odd reason thinking the whisps were too "gimmicky" or "too much 2D" but still lavish over the Adventure games full of gimmicks or the fact that Wii haters assume that since Colors is a third party Wii game it must suck and we can yell about the good handheld games till we're blue in the face and yet there's still this idiotic mindset that "handheld games don't count" doesn't matter how good it is, Sonic had to have a good full disc release HD console game to truly "return."

kbaily
LOOK AT THIS DOUBLE POST. I AM SUCH A REBEL. /OffTopic It's amazing how well thought out some of the comments are on that article there, Kbaily. Never have I seen so many walls of text in response to a blog. O_O
Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

Yeah, I'm inclined to disagree with kbaily and agree with Hyrule, here. Sega definitely was pushing up the release cycle, but for a while I think we all quite honestly appreciated it. It's not often a series gives you a decent game every 9-12 months featuring a familiar gameplay style. And, yeah, I say decent for almost all of the 2002 - 2010 releases. 06 was awful, but a lot of the others were plenty playable, and even enjoyable at times. It just took us a while to start pushing back when we were getting quantity over quality. I mean, right now we have little to hype about. Sure, Ep 2 is on the way, but we know exactly what we're expecting with that one: Sonic 2++. It's hard for me to recall a time when we had a dearth of console game to look forward to as we do right now. I kind of liked having the next thing a few months around the corner, even if I wasn't going to buy it ;)

Yeah, this union would be a little dead if the Sonic games always followed the sheer length of time it takes to make a console Mario game... :lol:

Or even worse, a Zelda game. I always tip my hat to people who have made a succesful Zelda union or blog.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sonicphc

Yeah, this union would be a little dead if the Sonic games always followed the sheer length of time it takes to make a console Mario game... :lol:

Or even worse, a Zelda game. I always tip my hat to people who have made a succesful Zelda union or blog.

Hyrule4EVER
And thus my ulterior motive is revealed....
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
You like short games that don't take a lot of time to build?
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 macrules_640
I never knew that myself.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kbaily

You like short games that don't take a lot of time to build?barren167

Well this has been the issue with the Sonic games from Adventure to Unleashed, Sega was worried about the game being too short because for whatever reason, once saving became standard to have in a game, people wanted the experience to last longer becuase you were no longer having to start from the beginning every time you got a Game Over or turned off the machine.

Look at Mario: it's possible to beat the original SMB can be beaten in 5 minutes if you know the right warps and SMB3 I can beat in about 15 if you know the secrets. Yuji Naka got the idea of Sonic's gameplay from Mario speedruns because the idea is to try to get through the stage as fast as you can but when the 3rd dimension showed up, platformer gameplay changed. Mario's formula went from "bounce to the finish" to a more exploration/collecting, slower experience. Sonic can't do this because he's supposed to be about speed, not collecting 100 shiny doodads. We saw how boring a collect-a-thon Sonic experience could be with both Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles's stages in the Adventure games (though more of SA2). So this began Sega's condrum of their fear of if they make a game with Sonic running fast, it would be too short, and thus we had heavily padded games. Adventure games with playable friends doing slower things like fishing, Heroes probably the most shameless padding in forcing you to play the same game four times, and Unleashed's long, drug out werehog and medal collecting stuff. Seriously play Unleashed just the day stages and you'd probably finish in a couple hours. I hate when games do stuff just to try to pad out to 20 hours. (more recent Zelda's are bad about trying to make you do extra fetch quests just to get to the next dungeon as a way to pad out the game).

The you get stuff like Generations and Colors. Sure they're both short but it didn't affect their reviews horribly. Why? They have higher replay value. You want to go back, find the red coins, do online speed runs for top scores, find new paths. I'm still finding new areas in both games. This is why they feel more like the originals. Unlike Unleashed which I traded in as soon as I finished, I hung on to these 2 because I want to play through them again.

So yes, I'd rather have a short game with endless replay value than some 20 hour slog that I'll trade in once finished.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sonicphc
That would be the thing I explicitly stated but was really a facade for the ulterior motive. For those playing along at home, the ulterior motive was that faster release cycles means there's more activity on the Union because there's more to hype about. ;)
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Yep, exactly. Can't expect any less from a leader of a game series (as opposed to, say, an idealism, or a series of platforms, or company, or whatever else people make unions about).
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kbaily

Really the only game GT mentioned that did deserve mentioned was Sonic Adventure 2, it's flawed but it's not horrible and immedately screaming and whining like fanboys won't make anything better. I said this in a Blue Blur on "How to be a fan?" Honestly I think internet reviewers purposely slam Sonic just because they know that Sonic has a rabid idiotic fanbase that will throw a hissy fit any time a Sonic game gets something less than an 8, hell sometimes a Sonic game will get a good review like Sonic Chronicles from Gameinformer and fans still threw a fit saying all of a sudden that game didn't deserve it's 8/10 mind you these were a lot of the same fantards that said Shadow the Hedgehog was cool cause it used guns and had a great story. Proving my point that half the Sonic fanbase is retarded.

Yes, various good Sonic games did sell well like Colors, Generations, various handheld games. But plenty of half assed crap sold too and we all are probably guilty of buying a crappy Sonic game just because it was a Sonic game. So own up to it but for god sakes don't whine and cry and throw an immature hissy fit because all it does is reinforce the stereotype that Sonic fans are a bunch of fur lusting weirdos with no taste in good games.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#23 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

I prefer replayabilty over length. 

Sonic series games tend to be short but replayable. That's the type of games they are best as, in any case. 

icecoldmarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 icecoldmarty
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I took some time to think about it. Most of the Sonic games they named do deserve to be called out. I still think Sonic Adventure 2 is a great game. Sonic Unleashed did some things right which is better than their other choices. Honestly if they said from after Sonic Adventure 2 up to Sonic 4 Episode 1. I would've been fine with them putting it as their number 1. Sure I would question at first why above the god awtiful ET game. After a while I'll understand so that's why I got so upset when this video came out. They said their top five choices are Sonic games.

1. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

2. Sonic 06

3. Sonic Unleashed

4. Mario and Sonic Olympics series

Clearly there's more than five games on the number one spot. I also noticed What was their last choice. I got most of them the first time watching it. I did go back watching it a few times I didn't see it. If anyone knows which game it is please tell me.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kbaily
I'm going to say Sonic Colors because it sold well and GT was one of the few reviewers that panned it.
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts
Usual Screwattack/GT drivel. I may be wrong and I may get flamed for saying this, but I can't help but think these reviewers hate Sonic games, because they suck at them. :)
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chocolate1325
I guess because Sonic sells by the bucketload when compared to the likes of Crash if not him and Spyro would have been first but whereas they have really bad games that don't sell the Sonic fanbase is still very popular.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 macrules_640
Sonic is here to stay no matter what anyone else says.