PSX-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 0

#1 PSX-man
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts
Back in the 90's, when Sonic was at the height of his popularity, there was a cartoon series on TV. Is there anyone here besides me who used to watch this?
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I used to watch Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehg when it was on Saturday mornings. I watched Sonic X too, and time to time I go on TV and see if any good episodes of Sonic X are on.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

SatAM was the most enjoyable of all the Sonic cartoons when you don't take game continuity into account. It was easily the most developed.

There were good parts about the others I guess but SatAM was the pinnacle imo. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I would watch Adventuresof Sonic the Hedgehog every day when I got home from school which was ironically followed by Mario's cartoon where I lived. I didn't watch Satam much at the beginning because it conficted at the time with another cartoon show I watched Garfield and Friends and early on I was turned off by SatAM because I was upset that Tails took a backseat to a bunch of characters that never existed in the game but when I got a little older and watched I realized how good the writing was and the story was engaging and it was a shame that they ended the series.

I actually did watch sonic X from time to time and part of me wanted to like it more than I did. I mean the animation was well done and the game stayed pretty true to game storylines for Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 but of course the voice work was horrible and of course there was Chris though I hear if you can watch the original Japanese episodes with subtitles, it's much more watchable as 4Kids felt that instead of simply translating the show to English, they had to redub it to make it sound more "kid friendly" (barf). Check out our review section and see Spikey's excellent review of the SatAM box set.

CrimsonMaher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 CrimsonMaher
Member since 2009 • 1342 Posts
I watched The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog whenever it came on and Sonic X! I don't know what on earth 4Kids did to make Sonic retro fans hate Sonic X so much because I have never watched it. They braodcast the Jetix version translated to Arabic here which wasn't too bad as they usually butcher stories in order to make them politically, religiously and kiddie correct. I also so the Japanese subtitiled and that was pretty good. They never showed the SatAM version so being someone who was into the comics as well I might just get the DVD set! Kbaily I suggest you give the Subtitled Sonic X a chance! It isn't a major overhaul but it keeps true to the game and Dr. Eggman is hilarious in it!
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#6 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I watched the Sonic cartoons all of them Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was okay when I was younger but I don't find it funny anymore. Didn't watch much of SATAM but heard it was good and it seemed more serious which was better and I remember they left it on a cliffhanger. Sonic Underground was the worst though because it just wasn't right Sonic with a guitar. I do know Knuckles was in a few episodes though.

Sonic X well I did watch it to begin with but it ended up getting boring. I mean it handled both Sonic Adventure games well but I hated the fact they had to find a part for that annoying brat called Chris who seemed to takeover as Sonics new best friend and eventually stopped him from going home. I thought the Metarex story was quiet intresting though because Shadow came back and he is one of my favourite characters along with Sonic and Knuckles. You know why did Chris have to be in it.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kbaily

The big turnoff of Sonic X for most of us was Chris. Take him out and the series is 100x more watchable. It was bad enough Chris was constantly taking up a role meant for Tails but then that they were retelling the SA stories to fit Chris in.

Now there are those who hate Sonic X for it leading to Sega to replace the video game voice actors with the 4Kids voice actors. Everyone liked Ryan Drummond who did Sonic's voice in the first two Adventure games and Heroes. Then the actor who voiced Eggman died after Heroes and Sega decided to replace the video game voice cast with the 4Kids actors and there are those (who apparently have waaaay too much time on their hands) making anti Jason Griffith/4Kids videos and I don't get into all that because I have a life.

And of course some really old school purists who want Sonic voiced by Jaleel White like in the old days.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cloud_765

The big turnoff of Sonic X for most of us was Chris.kbaily

Most? I think you mean all. Or all over the age of 9.

Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts
yeah, and everyone under 9 envied him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c35826ea3913

And of course some really old school purists who want Sonic voiced by Jaleel White like in the old days.

kbaily

raises hand :P

CrimsonMaher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrimsonMaher
Member since 2009 • 1342 Posts
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

whoozwah

HAHA I saw Jaleel in Big Fat Liar the other day and I was like how did they pick this guy to be the voice of Sonic? :P To be honest I couldn't care less who voices him! And people ranting about it have way too much time on their hand! 

Oh yeah Underground was shown around here too but boy was this show a mess! Although I loved the intro and outro and rate it as one of the best Sonic themes ever the animation, directing, story and cast just did NOT work! 

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cloud_765
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

whoozwah

*looks at whoozwah's sig*

I may lean toward the retro era of Sonic most of the time, but because I really didn't grow up on the first Sonic cartoons I actually had an easier time adjusting to Jason Griffith when he became Sonic's voiceover for the games. I don't mind him voiving Sonic, but why did they have to replace the whole cast when they could've replaced one person? Back to the show, I do remember watching the old Sonic show but I can't remember how the old Sonic sounded. I have a feeling someone will post a link shortly.

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

Bad voice acting seems part and parcel with localised anime shows (remember Gundam Wing?) so I still feel like giving Sonic X a chance.

I'm ashamed to say remember enjoying AoStH at the time, but rewatched it recently and hated it. The SatAM show was about as far removed from canon as you can possibly get though I did kind of enjoy the few episodes I managed to catch. The theme song was hilarious too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Bad voice acting seems part and parcel with localised anime shows (remember Gundam Wing?) so I still feel like giving Sonic X a chance.

I'm ashamed to say remember enjoying AoStH at the time, but rewatched it recently and hated it. The SatAM show was about as far removed from canon as you can possibly get though I did kind of enjoy the few episodes I managed to catch. The theme song was hilarious too.

Menalque2

true that it was definitely not canon but as a solitary entertainment experience, it was miles ahead of the other Sonic shows.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chocolate1325
I remember watching the AOSTH cartoons when I was about 7 but after experiencing them again it just wasn't that good.
zovice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zovice
Member since 2004 • 618 Posts

The big turnoff of Sonic X for most of us was Chris. Take him out and the series is 100x more watchable. It was bad enough Chris was constantly taking up a role meant for Tails but then that they were retelling the SA stories to fit Chris in.

Now there are those who hate Sonic X for it leading to Sega to replace the video game voice actors with the 4Kids voice actors. Everyone liked Ryan Drummond who did Sonic's voice in the first two Adventure games and Heroes. Then the actor who voiced Eggman died after Heroes and Sega decided to replace the video game voice cast with the 4Kids actors and there are those (who apparently have waaaay too much time on their hands) making anti Jason Griffith/4Kids videos and I don't get into all that because I have a life.

kbaily

Ya, Why they always want to put human in? Like Sonic next gen. Unless it is like the comic, they notice that there are human. But not all about them. As for Eggman case, he here from the start, what to say? :P

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

Ya, Why they always want to put human in? Like Sonic next gen. Unless it is like the comic, they notice that there are human. But not all about them. As for Eggman case, he here from the start, what to say? :P

zovice

I'm not sure I really have any problems with this (although the whole Elise thing was REALLY pushing it). Wasn't Sonic going to have a blonde-headed human girlfriend called Madonna in some of his initial design concepts?

Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hyrule4EVER

when I was young i Unfortunately missed out on AOSTH and watched Sonic underground instead (Bad decision!!!). the only good part that came from it was that my brother and i whould lower the volume and do our own silly "voice overs", and criticise the show.

i recently saw "sonic christmas blast" (a special episode of AOSTH), and while childish, it certainly captured the spirit of the blue blur the best.

as for sonic x, i can take it or leave it. but while you can never really have a bad voice for the characters, the dialogue on the other hand...

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chocolate1325
I can honestly say Sonic X didn't have good actors I mean Tails doesn't sound right at all compared to his voice in Sonic Adventure.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kbaily
[QUOTE="zovice"]

Menalque2

I'm not sure I really have any problems with this (although the whole Elise thing was REALLY pushing it). Wasn't Sonic going to have a blonde-headed human girlfriend called Madonna in some of his initial design concepts?

See in Japan, they're ok with the whole beastiality thing but the whole confusion over Sonic interacting with humans was the problem of the fact that the US and Japanese storylines originally for Sonic were different. Everything from Sonic Adventure on was taken from the Japanese storyline (as well as the name Eggman. It's NOT going back to Robotnick, so suck it up and move on!) This was confusing for European and US fans who were used to Sonic living on an alien world called Mobius with other talking animals. I will say at the least Sonic X attempted to connect these two worlds by having Sonic getting warped into the human world by a screw up by Eggman.

As for Sonic Underground as Sonic canon, it's waaaay off. Tails is no where to be seen and has little in common with the games at all. However from a totally anthropological standpoint, Sonic Underground is really good. I just pretend that instead of Sonic, the lead character is Spike the blue cat on meth and then it could've been a good show which makes me wonder why they did this show with Sonic in the first place?

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cloud_765
[QUOTE="Menalque2"][QUOTE="zovice"]

kbaily

See in Japan, they're ok with the whole beastiality thing but the whole confusion over Sonic interacting with humans was the problem of the fact that the US and Japanese storylines originally for Sonic were different. Everything from Sonic Adventure on was taken from the Japanese storyline (as well as the name Eggman. It's NOT going back to Robotnick, so suck it up and move on!) This was confusing for European and US fans who were used to Sonic living on an alien world called Mobius with other talking animals. I will say at the least Sonic X attempted to connect these two worlds by having Sonic getting warped into the human world by a screw up by Eggman.

As for Sonic Underground as Sonic canon, it's waaaay off. Tails is no where to be seen and has little in common with the games at all. However from a totally anthropological standpoint, Sonic Underground is really good. I just pretend that instead of Sonic, the lead character is Spike the blue cat on meth and then it could've been a good show which makes me wonder why they did this show with Sonic in the first place?

It was the 90s, so it was most likely because the producers wanted to get ratings by throwing in that day's favorite mascot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
I don't think I want to watch underground. Too many horror stories on this board about it.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_765

I don't think I want to watch underground. Too many horror stories on this board about it.whoozwah

Welcome to the Avoid Sonic Underground At All Costs Club. Hope you enjoy yourself. I know I am.

Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hyrule4EVER

The sonic elise thing could have been good but theres problems... (where to start?)

1. Sonic head is huge, so is his hands, making him amonster instead of an animal

2. horrible voice acting

3. the elise character seemed to be somthing of a monster herself

4. It should have been "puppy love" not "kissy kissy gross puke yuck love"

Back on topic: heres the intro for underground

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kbaily

Honestly if they had just made Elise an anthropomorphic animal (hedgehog, squirell, cat, whatever) that would've reduced the creepiness greatly. At least it wouldn't have looked so stupid.

See this?

I think we can all agree that if Elise had looked like this instead of human, even with the same voice and same purpose, it wouldn't have been near as creepy to watch. Of course they'd have to change her father as well, but who the hell at Sega thought pairing Sonic with a human was a good idea in the first place?

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cloud_765

I agree. If Elise was human maybe the plot of Sonic 2006 would've drawn me in a little more. I could only get through the first few levels at my friends house before I put my hands up and said "I'm done". Maybe had Elise not looked so generic and human I would've cared more.

BTW, who drew that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
I never watch cut scenes in Sonic games if they're skippable (which they were in Sonic 06) so the whole issue is pretty much irrelevant to me. The rest of the game you kinda....can't...skip
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chocolate1325
I have seen the cut scenes of Sonic Next Gen and Elise head was smaller than Sonics hands. Also I didn't get the story at all it was confusing.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#29 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
I miss the cartoons to bits... they were really fun and were catchy... I remember those 2 robots, the skinny chicken and knucklehead green bot on tank trails and screwnose feature.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Scratch and Grounder! Incidentally, Scratch is harder that Dr. Robotnik in Mean Bean Machine... and he's got this obnoxious smile that taunts you endlessly... *shudder*
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cloud_765

Scratch and Grounder! Incidentally, Scratch is harder that Dr. Robotnik in Mean Bean Machine... and he's got this obnoxious smile that taunts you endlessly... *shudder*sonicphc

You think so, too?

I can beat Robotnik in a matter of seconds most of the time, but Scratch'll kick me around for about a half hour.

I always did hate Dragon-Breath and Scratch. Ugh.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chocolate1325

[QUOTE="sonicphc"]Scratch and Grounder! Incidentally, Scratch is harder that Dr. Robotnik in Mean Bean Machine... and he's got this obnoxious smile that taunts you endlessly... *shudder*Cloud_765

You think so, too?

I can beat Robotnik in a matter of seconds most of the time, but Scratch'll kick me around for about a half hour.

I always did hate Dragon-Breath and Scratch. Ugh.

Them 2 were the hardest Robotnik wasn't even that hard.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sonicphc
Robotnik was easier the harder you put the difficulty level on. The AI couldn't move pieces fast enough on the hardest setting, so it would kill itself every time.
shadowlink8P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 shadowlink8P
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts
I have seen a couple of them and there pretty cool but it would be pretty cool to bring them back
Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hyrule4EVER

Honestly if they had just made Elise an anthropomorphic animal (hedgehog, squirell, cat, whatever) that would've reduced the creepiness greatly. At least it wouldn't have looked so stupid.

See this?

I think we can all agree that if Elise had looked like this instead of human, even with the same voice and same purpose, it wouldn't have been near as creepy to watch. Of course they'd have to change her father as well, but who the hell at Sega thought pairing Sonic with a human was a good idea in the first place?

kbaily

where did you get that pic Kbaily?

goldninja300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 goldninja300
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Sorry to get back ON TOPIC (gasp!!) But: I used to love the three shows Dic made! First, Adventures of Sonic was hilarious, and I loved watching scratch and Grounder get destroyed almost every episode. I even have that on DVD. I like SATAM, but that's probably my least favorite among the three, I dunno why. And Sonic Underground was awesome! I like the inclusion of Manic and Sonia for some reason :D Anyway, Sonic X was okay, I like that it was an anime, but Chris just made me puke, so I stopped watching it.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kbaily
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

See this?

Hyrule4EVER

where did you get that pic Kbaily?

deviantart.com yes there is more there than Sonic porn. In fact I have an account there.

sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

deviantart.com yes there is more there than Sonic porn. In fact I have an account there.

kbaily

Sonic porn? What have you been looking at? :P

Anyway, yes I seen only AOSTH it was fair, Sonic Underground was horrible, Sonic X is a so so.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
Yeah I do and I have to say that it is alot better then the videogames.
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts
Out of the Sonic cartoons I couldn't stand Underground, The one with Grounder and Scratch was fine, in small doses, Sonic X is alright, provided you don't watch the 4kids version, The best is Sonic Satam.
DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 DarkSmokeNinja
Member since 2008 • 3485 Posts
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Freedom Fighthers, and Sonic X were the ones I watched.
Dante003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Dante003
Member since 2005 • 36787 Posts
I have watched all Sonic Cartoons and loved them.
Avatar image for Shadow_Olimar23
Shadow_Olimar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shadow_Olimar23
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts

I remember watching all of them and still I can find episodes online to watch them again.

All I can say is that Adventure of Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic SatAM are still good shows to watch...less to Adventure of Sonic The Hedgehog (somehow cannot stand the voices any longer for AoSTH)...

Now, Sonic SatAM...

It was awesome and still is. They just had to cancel it! 

Sonic X...

Mediocre at best...

The dub is horrible so I could only watch a single episode every month (online of course)...

Sonic Underground was a little better...

------------------------------------------------

Dante003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 Dante003
Member since 2005 • 36787 Posts
Sonic SatAM was awesome. Who ever canceled that show are stupid ****
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sonicphc
Sonic SatAM was awesome. Who ever canceled that show are stupid ****Dante003
Wasn't it running on Fox at the time, the same idiots who canceled Firefly?
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cloud_765
Fox is full of celebrity loving idiots. TBH, I think I'm one of the few and proud that don't watch American Idol.
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ktulu007

Sonic SatAM was awesome. Who ever canceled that show are stupid ****Dante003

Agreed, especially since they were supposed to have another season. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
I don't think it's original run was aired on FOX. I think it was on ABC. It came on right after Cowboys of Moo Mesa.
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ktulu007
Sonic SatAM was on ABC. It had two seasons and was contracted for a third, but ABC pulled out of the contract and cancelled the show.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kbaily

Sonic SatAM was on ABC. It had two seasons and was contracted for a third, but ABC pulled out of the contract and cancelled the show. ktulu007

Yeah, I remember that SatAM was on ABC but Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was on FOX. From what I heard, SatAM got cancelled because it was running opposite Power Rangers and that show was an unstoppable juggernaut at the time so SatAM was put in a poisonous time slot.