kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

One thing I hear all too often is "is Sonic ripping off Mario's ideas?" I mean he's getting a Kart racer, he's done the party game (Shuffle), done the mascot tennis game, even delved into RPGs now but if Sonic is going to rip off Mario's ideas, then why not take a cue from New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

You all saw it at E3, a 2D sidescrolling 4 player co-op game coming out this Christmas for the Wii. It's rumored that it was going to be for the DS but was up-resed and made for the Wii mostly to make the "hardcores" shut up and tide them over until Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid:Other M come out next year.

But that aside after seeing New Super Mario Bros Wii I said to myself: "Why not do that with Sonic?"

We already talked about how Sonic should take a cue from Megaman as he did with Megaman 9 and make a retro-fied sidescroller and call it Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It would be cheap and Sega would profit from it and it would be good, but then I said, take it a step further. Make a console sidescrolling Sonic game. Little Big Planet proved we're ok with going from left to right in a modern console game again and for Sonic, 3D has not been kind to him.

So make a 2D sidescroller with cool retro levels but modern graphics maybe do the 2.5D thing (works for Klonoa). No super deep story full of poorly acted cutscenes. Allow players to choose between Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, whoever else they want to throw in. Single player just has you going solo but multiplayer would have racing to the finish. Do that online maybe even add a level editor. Use sprites from the game, share them with friends online.

I'd buy that. Wouldn't you?

kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 kjhg53
Member since 2008 • 30455 Posts
Though I'm not planning on getting NSMB Wii that does some like a Sonic game that I'd want to pick up.
cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts
Yeah, that sounds really good. And look at Mega Man 9! Capcom, rather than doing something new, used an old formula to make a really great game! Sega should do something similar!
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kbaily

Though I'm not planning on getting NSMB Wii that does some like a Sonic game that I'd want to pick up.kjhg53

I find it interesting that some would turn up their noses at NSMBWii but yet if Sonic or Megaman did the same thing, it's considered awesome. Possibly because Mario doesn't need to "return to his roots" because he does well in 3D. Then again, look at how well NSMB sells on the DS and it's STILL on NPD top 20 lists.

But given, Sonic's stumbled so much in 3D, him doing a side scrolling console game would probably be a breath of fresh air.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

I'd think it as a novel idea. A good 2D Sonic game has told its story through the stages anyway, meaning it wouldn't NEED story. And being able to choose whichever character to play as would be a plus too.

I think you all know my choice. :P

Too bad Sega wouldn't think of this. I mean it'd even rake in money.

kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kjhg53

[QUOTE="kjhg53"]Though I'm not planning on getting NSMB Wii that does some like a Sonic game that I'd want to pick up.kbaily

I find it interesting that some would turn up their noses at NSMBWii but yet if Sonic or Megaman did the same thing, it's considered awesome. Possibly because Mario doesn't need to "return to his roots" because he does well in 3D. Then again, look at how well NSMB sells on the DS and it's STILL on NPD top 20 lists.

But given, Sonic's stumbled so much in 3D, him doing a side scrolling console game would probably be a breath of fresh air.

I just feel that it's a party game. I did get NSMB and I didn't like it as much as his others. Tha's another reason I'm not looking forward to it.

Avatar image for RidersInThe-Sky
RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 RidersInThe-Sky
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

[QUOTE="kjhg53"]Though I'm not planning on getting NSMB Wii that does some like a Sonic game that I'd want to pick up.kjhg53

I just feel that it's a party game. I did get NSMB and I didn't like it as much as his others. Tha's another reason I'm not looking forward to it.

I liked NSMB on the DS but I'm not much of a Multiplayer kind of guy so the Wii version does seem kind of pointless to me. Otherwise, regarding the idea, it seems kind of iffy to me. Once again, I'm not big on multiplayer but more importantly, I'm starting to get burned out on the Sonic sidescrollers. They may be better than most of the 3D games but they're starting to feel a bit phoned in. Sonic Rush is one of my favorite games of all time but I almost hated Rush Adventure. It just felt like the same thing with duller graphics, tacked on minigames and a really annoying story. As much as I criticize Unleashed, I have to give it credit for (on the 360) at least satisfyingly revamping the design of the speed stages. I like old-school Sonic goodness as much as the next person but the charm on that is even starting to wear thin.

Sega has found themselves in a bit of a jam. There attempts to change things almost always ends up sucking but playing it safe is starting to get dull too. I'm just waiting on the next Chronicles sequal because, in my opinion, that was the only Sonic game since the original Rush to come out that was worth buying and it wasn't even done by Sega (probably why it was good).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#8 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

sounds good.

online leaderboards!

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_765

sounds good.

online leaderboards!

whoozwah

Since when are you happy for any new Sonic games? :P

I mean even in theory wouldn't you think it would flop?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
2D
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cloud_765

True but that didn't make you dislike Sonic CD, or the Advance series. :P

Well I dunno your opinion on the Advance or Rush series, but you yourself said you didn't think Sonic CD was good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c35826ea3913

sonic cd has bad level design

sonic advance and sonic rush are okay, better than the 3D games anyway.

I'm more apt to give a 2D platformer a chance than I am a 3D one

Bluegreen17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Bluegreen17
Member since 2009 • 1061 Posts
I'd go for this idea! I like it! :)
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#14 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It would be great if that happened. I am looking forward to New Super Mario Bros Wii more than Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf
deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf
Member since 2009 • 7764 Posts
I exactly had this idea, it works with kirby. 3D graphics but a 2D side croller. And everibody likes that, Sonic should do that to revive his good 3D games (Sonic Heroes was the last Sonic 3D I love it, Unleashed is OK but the werehog screw up things)
Avatar image for RyantheHedgehog
RyantheHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#16 RyantheHedgehog
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

I have one sonic and mario team up to kill ps4 and xbox 720 be for they give the earth the ring of death or ramdom bad games and they use keyblades :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c35826ea3913

I have one sonic and mario team up to kill ps4 and xbox 720 be for they give the earth the ring of death or ramdom bad games and they use keyblades :P

RyantheHedgehog

someone frame this....

Jaxxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 Jaxxo
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

I don't think that will happen until Sonic inevitably dies and get's handed to an other company since the fans can live without Sonic.

Sonic Team currently goes by the rule of a new adventure game with a new game-play mechanic like :

Secret rings - slowdown time, speed up time.

Unleashed - The warehog.

Black knight - swords-play.

Now all we need is a Sonic shooter... Oh wait, Shadow the hedgehog. So, all I can think of now is Sonic in a survival horror themed game.

Bluegreen17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bluegreen17
Member since 2009 • 1061 Posts
Yes, Sega really needs to stop and think about the mechanics they introduce if they want to keep making Sonic games. A new mechanic should either flow seamlessly into the pre-existing game mechanics, or be something completely different, instead of messing the pre-existing stuff up and pretending it's fine.
pacuuuuu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#20 pacuuuuu3
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts
I'd definitel buy it, NSMB wii doesn't look that good to me though...
nandsegaman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#21 nandsegaman123
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

What Sega needs to make is Sonic Adventure 3 for the Wii where you can play as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver , and maybe more.

RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RidersInThe-Sky

What Sega needs to make is Sonic Adventure 3 for the Wii where you can play as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver , and maybe more.

nandsegaman123

Apparantly you haven't been here very long.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kbaily

nandsegaman123

They did that already but it was called Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and remember? It sucked!

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_765

nandsegaman123

kbaily, get the Purity salt or whatever they sprinkle over those people they need to purge. Spikey, open the Bible, and don't stop reading. whoozwah... just pat your persian cat and look cool. I'll pretend I had no part of this and retreat to the rooftops and look down upon the town all heroic-like.

kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kjhg53
No what they need is just Big and Silver in a game.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

Cloud_765

kbaily, get the Purity salt or whatever they sprinkle over those people they need to purge. Spikey, open the Bible, and don't stop reading. whoozwah... just pat your persian cat and look cool. I'll pretend I had no part of this and retreat to the rooftops and look down upon the town all heroic-like.

Oh! Don't forget me! I sit at a desk and facepalm!
nandsegaman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nandsegaman123
[QUOTE="Cloud_765"][QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

sonicphc

[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

kbaily

They did that already but it was called Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and remember? It sucked!

I know they did that but all the sonic adventures were good and remember... FOR THE WII!!!!
RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RidersInThe-Sky
[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="Cloud_765"][QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

nandsegaman123

[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

kbaily

I know they did that but all the sonic adventures were good and remember... FOR THE WII!!!!

The console doesn't change the fact that you just pitched a game that is in essence everything that is wrong with the series today.

Avatar image for RyantheHedgehog
RyantheHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#31 RyantheHedgehog
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 adventure 3...........I kid I kid

well want would be cool if they make Sonic the Hedgehog 4 kind of like what capcom did with megaman 9 make a new classic

or Sonic and Big were theres one Great Sonic level and thats it all the rest is you and big :D

RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RidersInThe-Sky

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 adventure 3...........I kid I kid

well want would be cool if they make Sonic the Hedgehog 4 kind of like what capcom did with megaman 9 make a new classic

or Sonic and Big were theres one Great Sonic level and thats it all the rest is you and big :D

RyantheHedgehog

If you would kindly use grammar and punctuation marks in your replies.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud_765

Oh! Don't forget me! I sit at a desk and facepalm!sonicphc

Oh yeah: phc, sit at that desk and facepalm or headdesk. Whichever this occassion calls for. :P

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_765

No what they need is just Big and Silver in a game.kjhg53

Are you crazy? :lol:

nandsegaman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nandsegaman123
[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"][QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="Cloud_765"][QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

RidersInThe-Sky

[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

kbaily

The console doesn't change the fact that you just pitched a game that is in essence everything that is wrong with the series today.

I know the console doesn't change the fact but controls may be good or the graphics. And I know the series is jacked up Sonic 06. But maybe Sega needs to just step up like Nintendo. And maybe they should make the camera better and take out the town missions like they didn't do in Sonic 06.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chocolate1325
I am sick of people saying make Sonic Adventure 3. Sonic Adventure 3 could be passed as either Sonic 2006,Shadow the Hedgehog,Sonic Heroes or Unleashed. It's gone Sonic Adventure 3 was released years ago and it wasn't very good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c35826ea3913

The adventure games are overrated.

extra characters are worthless.

*slowly pets persian cat*

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chocolate1325
I actually thought both were amazing games far from the best Sonic games though like Sonic CD but better than most of the other 3D Sonic games that came out. Also Unleashed in my opinon is overatted. Why do people consider it the best 3D Sonic game in years Secret of the Rings was better.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kbaily

I actually thought both were amazing games far from the best Sonic games though like Sonic CD but better than most of the other 3D Sonic games that came out. Also Unleashed in my opinon is overatted. Why do people consider it the best 3D Sonic game in years Secret of the Rings was better.chocolate1325

Well as I said Unleashed got a lot of things right. I mean remove the werehog and you get what a 3D Sonic game should've been. I mean, there were minimal friends poking in, the music was rather well done. The story felt more like a Saturday morning cartoon than a bad anime.

But everyone whines about Secret Rings saying "I can't control Sonic! He doesn't stop! I can't use an analog stick." Old school gamers stuck in their ways and stubborn to change. Stopping in Secret Rings was done by holding down the 1 and 2 buttons which was told to you in the tutorial stages and anyone who just took the time to learn it like you and me chocolate, knew how good it was. Of course the other half of the Secret Rings haters are the retard fringe who decided it automatically sucked because you only played as Sonic and Shadow didn't stick his ass into the story.

Of course there's all those going on about how the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed were better because of the pretty graphics and we all know games can't be good unless they're full of bloom lighting effects and they make us shell out hundreds to go plasma. And some can't understand why the Wii version got higher scores. Sure you get a better ratio of Sonic to werehog stages in the 360/PS3 (why the hell did Sega cut Mazuri and Empire City in the Wii version anyway?) but that was counteracted by the annyoing town missions you had to do in between just to advance. As I said, if I wanted to do annoying fetch quests, I'll go play World of Warcraft. I play Sonic games to go fast.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chocolate1325

I aren't saying Secret of the Rings was without its flaws because it had a few but the ability to have abilties was a nice touch. The flaws in Secret of the Rings were it could get quiet frustrating and the cut scenes weren't that good and the story was quiet poor as well and it took a while to gain some abilites. I won't deny Sonic Unleashed was actually a fairly good effort if there were was less werehog stages and more Sonic stages say something like 75% Sonic and 25% werehog it might have been up there with Sonic Adventure 2.

I am saying of course it has some cool actions stages I won't deny that but if you owned the Wii version like me it took me quiet along time to do the werehog stages and what might have made the werehog a little better was being able to skip fighting the enemies.

RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RidersInThe-Sky

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]I actually thought both were amazing games far from the best Sonic games though like Sonic CD but better than most of the other 3D Sonic games that came out. Also Unleashed in my opinon is overatted. Why do people consider it the best 3D Sonic game in years Secret of the Rings was better.kbaily

Well as I said Unleashed got a lot of things right. I mean remove the werehog and you get what a 3D Sonic game should've been. I mean, there were minimal friends poking in, the music was rather well done. The story felt more like a Saturday morning cartoon than a bad anime.

But everyone whines about Secret Rings saying "I can't control Sonic! He doesn't stop! I can't use an analog stick." Old school gamers stuck in their ways and stubborn to change. Stopping in Secret Rings was done by holding down the 1 and 2 buttons which was told to you in the tutorial stages and anyone who just took the time to learn it like you and me chocolate, knew how good it was. Of course the other half of the Secret Rings haters are the retard fringe who decided it automatically sucked because you only played as Sonic and Shadow didn't stick his ass into the story.

Of course there's all those going on about how the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed were better because of the pretty graphics and we all know games can't be good unless they're full of bloom lighting effects and they make us shell out hundreds to go plasma. And some can't understand why the Wii version got higher scores. Sure you get a better ratio of Sonic to werehog stages in the 360/PS3 (why the hell did Sega cut Mazuri and Empire City in the Wii version anyway?) but that was counteracted by the annyoing town missions you had to do in between just to advance. As I said, if I wanted to do annoying fetch quests, I'll go play World of Warcraft. I play Sonic games to go fast.

The Town missions weren't mandatory, they just gave you bonuses that you could earn in the actual stages. The only noticeable difference between the versions is hunting for the Sun and Moon Medals in the HD version. Other than that drawback, I prefered the 360 version to the PS2 version because despite falling on its face, the game upped the ante. It was more frustrating when it slows down but more satisfying when it gets down to doing what it does best. The Standard Def versions had worse Werehog controls but the game as a whole, just felt phoned in.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 chocolate1325
I did feel some of the character really didn't have a meaning in Unleashed like the towns people. Thats what I am saying. I mean in the Wii version I had to chat to everybody before I could access a level which bored me.
kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kjhg53

[QUOTE="kjhg53"]No what they need is just Big and Silver in a game.Cloud_765

Are you crazy? :lol:

Yes I am.

Big_Mac4547

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Big_Mac4547
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts
that is all they need do to make sonic good is kick it old school and stop calling him EGGMAN! it is gay and not his name!!!!!
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kbaily

that is all they need do to make sonic good is kick it old school and stop calling him EGGMAN! it is gay and not his name!!!!!Big_Mac4547

Well what happened was in Japan back in the day, while we were calling him Robotnick, in Japan he was always called Eggman and in the US we all believed Sonic fought in an alien world called Mobius while in Japan Sonic was a sort of vagabond that lived in an alternate reality Earth, then you had the cartoons and comics with their own backstory, and other fabricated backstories that said Eggman or Robotnick used to be a kind scientist who was creating a machine from rings and Chaos Emeralds and Sonic was his friend (and Sonic used to be brown) and the story went Sonic was using Dr. Kintobor's supersonic treadmill and overloaded it to which it exploded and turned Sonic blue and then the Chaos Emerald machine malfunctioned when Robotnick spilled Coke on it during his afternoon snack of a hardboiled egg and the explosion turned kindly Dr. Kintobor into Dr. Robotnick/Eggman. Crazy huh?

But when Sonic Adventure came out, the internet had now become common and thus there was no way for one country's story from spilling over to the other so in SA1, US and European fans were confused as the sprawling backstory introduced was mostly derived from Japan, hence Mobius was no more and Robotnick was Eggman.

Though I agree with Game Overthinker that Sega should allow the US and EU localizations call him Robotnick again as it's just a better bad guy name.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cloud_765

It doesn't matter what the Doc's name is. Eggman isn't that bad a name, and it was his original Japanese name anyway.

But they do need to pull a Heroes and kick it old school. Only take out the team formations. They were okay but one character with maybe one follower is all you need.

Heroes, when you played with Speed formation, was some of the best 3D Sonic platforming I had played.

nandsegaman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nandsegaman123
[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"][QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="Cloud_765"][QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

RidersInThe-Sky

[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

kbaily

Sega can make it 2D with Sonic Tails Knuckles Shadow and Silver did you see the rate Sonic Unleashed got for the Wii. Now the 360 and the Ps3 score. If they took the werehog levels it would be a good game @$$hole
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kbaily
[QUOTE="RidersInThe-Sky"][QUOTE="nandsegaman123"][QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="Cloud_765"][QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

nandsegaman123

[QUOTE="nandsegaman123"]

kbaily

Sega can make it 2D with Sonic Tails Knuckles Shadow and Silver did you see the rate Sonic Unleashed got for the Wii. Now the 360 and the Ps3 score. If they took the werehog levels it would be a good game @$$hole

And did you notice that Sonic Unleashed didn't have you playing as Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Silver. Oops. Some of us don't give a damn about the rest of the furries of the Sonic universe. It would be like playing a few levels of Mario Galaxy then going back and playing through the exact same levels again as Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Peach, Waluigi and Birdo except they all have different moves that control like ass.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#49 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
I just can't call Dr. Robotnik Eggman myself, it doesn't sound menacing like Robotnik and besides I don't care if he looks like an egg. His true name is Dr. Ivo Robotnik!
Dgalmun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Dgalmun
Member since 2009 • 16266 Posts
You really like sonic don't you?