chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

User Lists: 0

#1 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I actually found something really intresting an article about 10 things that need to change about Sonic. It is very intresting I think and I just thought it should be disscussed anyway here's the website.

http://www.411mania.com/games/columns/76222

I found this on GoNintendo.com. It lists 10 things that need to change in the Sonic franchise.

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DocEggmanNega
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts

Those are some good points. Some were lame points, like the one about the character personalities. Who really cares if you could categorize the characters? If he likes stories, he should re-read the comics, not play the games. (not even the older ones)

I liked one point he made. Sonic gameplay (no matter the character) is a must for a Sonic game. No mechs, hunting, fishing crap. Sonic Heroes was fine since youhad your speed character at will, and the others just served as alternate moves which were fun to use when you needed to. I'd rather repeat stages with lots of changes over too few stages like in SA1/2. Lastly, why does he have to b**** about the enemies since most can be destroyed quickly enough to not break up the flow? I like the fact that they aren't just useless pushovers in Heroes. In Shadow, it waas bad because the homing attack felt awkward and wouldn't always let you kill the enemy if you jam the buttons over and over. (you'd lose the enemy, which is messed up)

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Meh. I think I've ranted about almost every one of those somewhere in the Blue Blur Archives.
Avatar image for schoolsucks2005
schoolsucks2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 schoolsucks2005
Member since 2005 • 164 Posts
I will agree with some of the points. As for the story, if he means that he just wants a basic storyline for Sonic, then I would agree because I think platformers don't need a five star storyline, just great gameplay. But I still think SA2 is a great game along with SA because they are Sonic's best 3D games IMO. No need to overcomplicate things like some Sonic games have done. Basic is good :)
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It is just the characters and storylines and ridicoulus camera that make Sonic terrible.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I'm going to ad a few of my own.

Use controls responsibly. When I push forward on the control stick, I expect Sonic to move forward. When I let go of the analog stick, I expect Sonic to stop, not continue running for another mile and careen off a cliff. Why can't Sega get this through their fat heads. Some say Sonic is too fast to control easily and yet he moved as smooth as silk in SSBB. HELLO?

Stop Ripping off Dragonball Z. DBZ is an ok anime and we're all in agreement there (I'm not a fan) but it seems you can't take two steps in a recent Sonic game wiithout tripping over, ridculously over the top enemies, pretentious storylines and Sonic characters resembling DBZ characters complete with big hair and overpowered super moves. Sonic=Goku, Shadow=Vegeta, Silver=Trunks, etc. Sonic 06 went the extra mile and made the Chaos emeralds function like Dragonballs and brought Sonic back to life. Ha Ha Ha! No change there then! Not everyone who plays Sonic games like DBZ and I don't care if Naka was a fan of the show. He's gone now, so let's stop incorporating DBZ elements into Sonic games.

Stop doing front view running sequences. Ever since the whale crashed through the bay in Sonic Adventure, the developers feel the need to put the camera in front of Sonic so we can see the big cool thing chasing him. This screws up the controls and often leads to unfair deaths because YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT'S AHEAD OF YOU. This happened a lot in Heroes.

Let Sonic grab ledges. I don't need to go further on that.

As I said, I remember when Sonic games didn't try to be so serious, when it was fine that Sonic lived in a colorful world of checkered cliffs where Eggman was the only human and the trees and flowers were art deco and we were all fine with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-59be76f5a5388
deactivated-59be76f5a5388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Member since 2006 • 11372 Posts
You could grab ledges in SA2.
Avatar image for schoolsucks2005
schoolsucks2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 schoolsucks2005
Member since 2005 • 164 Posts
I have noticed that Sonic games do try to be too serious with the plots. I think they should concentrate less on the dark plots (which are confusing) and focus on the gameplay.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DocEggmanNega

Stop doing front view running sequences. Ever since the whale crashed through the bay in Sonic Adventure, the developers feel the need to put the camera in front of Sonic so we can see the big cool thing chasing him. This screws up the controls and often leads to unfair deaths because YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT'S AHEAD OF YOU. This happened a lot in Heroes.kbaily

That is just used to make the game's big chase more exciting since you don't need to see in front of you. And you say it happened alot in Heroes. Please tell me how that is so.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kbaily
Don't you remember in Heroes, it usually occured in the second act. In the first level you were outrunning the giant rolling stone wheel thing and it happened again in the jungle level when you were getting away from the giant alligator though that was more jumping and swinging.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
The front view was annoying in Secret Rings too.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sonicphc
Meh. The front views are good for cinematic work, not great for gameplay. If they do them, they need little signs telling you what's coming up on you.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DocEggmanNega

Don't you remember in Heroes, it usually occured in the second act. In the first level you were outrunning the giant rolling stone wheel thing and it happened again in the jungle level when you were getting away from the giant alligator though that was more jumping and swinging.kbaily
You say it happened too much, yet you only gave me 2 examples out of the 14 stages, each of which had 5 variations. By that logic, SA1 and 2 speed stages had more of a problem with that. I'm sorry, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Can you make sense of it?

Also, could you please explain how it's a problem since those parts are designed so you don't need to see what's ahead of you?

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kbaily
I'm not going to get into a big argument. I just don't like those forward running sequences. The worst one was in Secret Rings with the dinosaurs but at least that was the only one in the game. There were the two in Heroes and the truck chase in SA2 and you're right, there weren't as many in Heroes as I thought. It's been a while since I played it.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sonicphc

[QUOTE="kbaily"]Don't you remember in Heroes, it usually occured in the second act. In the first level you were outrunning the giant rolling stone wheel thing and it happened again in the jungle level when you were getting away from the giant alligator though that was more jumping and swinging.DocEggmanNega

You say it happened too much, yet you only gave me 2 examples out of the 14 stages, each of which had 5 variations. By that logic, SA1 and 2 speed stages had more of a problem with that. I'm sorry, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Can you make sense of it?

Also, could you please explain how it's a problem since those parts are designed so you don't need to see what's ahead of you?

But there is importance in what is ahead of you. There's item boxes on ht erock rolling sequence, ramps in the truck sequence, rings in the SSR triceritops sequence, to name a few.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DocEggmanNega

Rings and items are just bonuses for people who know the stage well, or are lucky on their first few times through. It isn't like they placed spike balls and other hazards in front of you (where you couldn't see them) so you could die unfairly. Notice in Secret Rings, the camera moves behind you when you reach the section with the cacti and stuff. If the camera would've stayed in front of you there, that'd become a real problem.

And I don't want to argue either, I just wanted to divide the facts from the opinions when I noticed kbaily getting them mixed up. I understand how some dislike those parts of Sonic games. Personally, I find them exciting if used once in a while.

BelaidKL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 BelaidKL
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts
Keep it old school and not the high tech super stuff there putting in now. The only 3D one which is old school and decent was Sonic Heros which was brilliant, Sonic X Directors cut was pretty cool too but the fact you had to travel was annoying.
Sentinus333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Sentinus333
Member since 2007 • 9343 Posts
There are parts I agree with and some I don't. I don't see whats wrong with having more then one character. It adds a sense of variety to the series. I'm using Super Paper Mario as an example. Each character had his/her own ability to get through the game. It is FUN. Sonic games have a right to do the same. I don't exactly want to play as just Sonic through 7 games.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DocEggmanNega
Yeah, but as long as the different characters revolve around Sonic styled gameplay. Unique abbbilities and such are all great, but the characters need to offer alot of the same fun Sonic does.
Sentinus333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Sentinus333
Member since 2007 • 9343 Posts
I concur.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kbaily

The biggest problem with playing as Sonic's pals is that most of the time, they aren't that fun to play with. Nobody here is going to say "I enjoyed playing as Big the Cat in Sonic Adventure." My argument has been "if you want me to play as Tails, make a sequel to "Tails Adventures(GG), if you want me to play as Knuckles, make a sequel to "Knuckles Chaotix (32x)." Imagine playing Super Mario Galaxy, playing a few stages as Mario, then having to go back and play through those same levels as another character with slower moves and weaker attacks (see Tails's ring box in Sonic06).

Now the Advance series on the GBA had the right idea, it allowed you to choose who you wanted to play with but didn't force you to play with Amy, Knuckles, etc. This I liked because it encouraged some replayability but didn't force you to play through the same stages again. Why the 3D games don't do this is beyond me.

You mentioned Super Paper Mario, yes, while it let you swap between Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi, for the majority of the time you were still Mario because he had the most vital ability and I found myself only using the others when their abilities were needed with the exception of using Bowser to blow through harder enemies. If a Sonic game allowed you to change out characters simultaneously to perform certain tasks, this might be accepted as well. We saw something along those lines in Sonic Heroes which did try to stay true to the old 2D format and I didn't mind the team aspect but then the game made you play through the same game four times when it would've been better to have a longer game where you just played as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

Now with the upcoming Sonic Chronicles we will play as Sonic's pals, but in that format it works. For JRPGs you always have a party of multiple characters, so in this case, it will work and playing as Sonic's friends won't slow down the gameplay.

Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 -SpikyBlueHero-
Member since 2007 • 2176 Posts

If a Sonic game allowed you to change out characters simultaneously to perform certain tasks, this might be accepted as well. We saw something along those lines in Sonic Heroes which did try to stay true to the old 2D format and I didn't mind the team aspect but then the game made you play through the same game four times when it would've been better to have a longer game where you just played as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.kbaily

Possibly the most glaring problem about Sonic Heroes was that horrifically cheap gimmick you mentioned. Why not go the way of SA2 and jump to each team periodically in one or two intertwining storylines? Thankfully, each group in Heroes was unlike the other in many ways, but the differences weren't as pronounced as I would've liked them to be. Team Sonic is your all-around bunch; Team Dark offers a higher difficulty; Team Rose's levels were truncated; and Team Chaotix' "missions" are the most unique, but are also the slowest, and, at times, irritating.

If memory serves me correctly, back in 2006 I caught wind of a Sonic Heroes sequel in the works, and since then, I haven't heard anything else about it. I suppose it's possible that it hasn't been dropped (if the project actually took hold in the first place), and perhaps Sega's reserving it for the 2010 holiday season. It would certainly sell well, but if it would correct the faults in the series is unbeknownst to me, of course. :-P Sonic Unleashed has yet to iron some of the kinks out.

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DocEggmanNega

I didn't mind the team aspect but then the game made you play through the same game four times when it would've been better to have a longer game where you just played as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

kbaily

It would've only been a little longer. (by one or two stages) They made 14 stages already. That's more speed stages than SA1 or 2 had, and is the good number for a great Sonic game. I think they did well to make 5 different versions of each of the 14 stages so as to appeal to different gamers while keeping the gameplay Sonic-styIed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59be76f5a5388

@kbaily: What if it was like Sonic 2, and they had the same moves and it was optional?

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kbaily

@kbaily: What if it was like Sonic 2, and they had the same moves and it was optional?

Hyper_Hedgehog

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Do you mean like what they did in the Sonic Advance series?

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts

I think he means that you can choose who you are, but play the game similarly.
@HH: Sonic 2 had both of them play exactly the same, it was Sonic 3 and S&K taht had them have their own special moves, but they each played similarly enough to Sonic for it to fit.

I have suggested it several times, why not have a game like that? Pick one of the three and they go through a Sonic-like stage using their special abilities (Sonic would have the homing attack, Tails would fly, Knux would glide) to help them. The stages could vary a bit like in S&K, but they should be mostly the same.

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DocEggmanNega
Exactly. That'd be great!
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 demoman_chaos
It is too bad SEGA doesn't have a suggestion box, or do they?
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DocEggmanNega
I think they might, but Idunno where. And they aren't known for listening to fans much. Well, they listened to the Shadow fanboys and girls because they heard what they already wanted to hear anyway. They pretty much make their own decisions.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 demoman_chaos
That's a pity, a flood of messages with that idea might make them think about it and possibly do it.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DocEggmanNega
I have no idea what they smoke at Sega, but it can't be good.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kbaily

I think they might, but Idunno where. And they aren't known for listening to fans much. Well, they listened to the Shadow fanboys and girls because they heard what they already wanted to hear anyway. They pretty much make their own decisions.DocEggmanNega

You see before the Dreamcast died, Sega focused more on making quality Sonic games as we saw with many of the main Sonic games up till Sonic Adventure 2. (not counting lousy spinoff games like "Sonic Drift") But Sega was in the red after the Dreamcast flopped and needed to make easy money. They said to themselves "what is our most valuable property?....Sonic!" Thus began a five year process of milking Sonic until his nonexistent teets fell off. Thus is why Sonic X came out. Sega figured the easiest way to make money on games is to give Sonic to the kiddies and thus a new generation of more ignorant Sonic fans emerged. These are the ones who go on about how Shadow and Sonic Next Gen are the greatest games ever. Why? Because these titles appeal to that group. This is the group that loves having tons of playable characters and crap like that. As Dr Eggman Nega said, Shadow was a game solely made for fan service. Sega asked fans which character should have a spinoff and what is should have, and you had a bunch of kids under the age of 12 who had yet to play a "real" shooter like Halo or Gears who said "guns and cars are cool! Let's do that!" This is why you don't let fans dictate your games because fans have sh-- for brains. If Nintendo let fans dictate a Mario game, we'd have Mario spewing off emo lines, and games that made us play through levels as lamer friends such as Daisy and Waluigi or worse have Mario driving around shooting guns at koopa troopas.

But it seems with Secret Rings and Unleashed Sega is finally listening to the old school fans and critic reviews and making the changes that needed to be made.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 demoman_chaos
My idea is a good idea based on the success of the same theory in pervious Sonic's (Sonic 3 and S&K functioned like that). If they would go back and take ideas from the good ol' days, then my idea would be used anyways.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DocEggmanNega

I've played quite a bit of Halo before Shadow, and then I played Halo 2 and 3, but I still think the whole idea of Shadow the Hedgehog was cool. It's more of a platformer than a shooter, but taking guns and various objects and handheld weaponry from you enemies and beating the crap outta them with those things was cool. Chaos powers were awesome. The story was full of plot holes, but definitely one of the most interesting in the Sonic universe. The game just needs to keep the Sonic Heroes controls intact, fix some glitches, use better graphics with little-to-no framerate fluctuation, and some better voices. But the fast-paced nature combined with the destructiveness in the game is dark and satisfying more than troublesome for me. It can't compare to the awesome Sonic Heroes, though. But it is alot better than Sonic 06!

And now Sega is making Sonic Unleashed, which is supposed to bring Sonic closer than ever to his roots as demoman_chaos has suggested for an idea. But that isn't enough for Sega. They need to make it different with a werehog. I'm just hoping it isn't like: Act 1 will be speed stages and Act 2 will be werewolf stages. If it were Acts 1 and 2 for speed stages, and Act 3 as a night stage, that'd be fine. This game NEEDS to surpass the quality of Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Advance 3 in a very noticable way in order to be up to standards with modern day console games.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kbaily

From what Sega says the game has this night/day engine hopefully along the lines of something like Zeld in that it slowly changes to night and thus at night is when Sonic "changes."

Let's face it, we still don't know much about this game. We'll have to wait for E for All.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Well, the Wii version's supposed to have more daylight stages.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 demoman_chaos
Why wouldn't every version have the same amount of daylight stages? If anything should be more on different systems it should be night stages, people don't get a Sonic game to be a were-hog.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59be76f5a5388

The PS2 version too. > _ >

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 demoman_chaos
I'm happy with that one. More Sonicness for the console I actually have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
I thought you would be. :P
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DocEggmanNega
Give me Sonic or give me death.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 demoman_chaos

After playing SADX again, I realized something. They got Sonic, Tails, and Knux abilities right. They control just like they should. The mid-air jump was correct, and the regular B-moves were good (though I think they could have tails and Knux do the spin dash and have Light Dashing as Sonic's B-specialty). I also liked how they rolled while moving (though it could get in the way if you were wanting to punch instead).

The only thing I see that really is wrong (besides Knux having a different style of level) is that Knux and Tail's B-special might be too simlar. Maybe they could give Knux a longer range and more power, while tails has a full 360 coverage with short range and less power (which should only matter on boss fights).

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DocEggmanNega
Yeah, I don't mind Knuckles, but I hate how his stages are non-Sonic styIed.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 demoman_chaos
you could always use an AR and change that.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sonicphc
I really like Knux stages in SA1 myself. In SA2 they dragged on much too long and were much to large, but in SA1 they went relatively quickly and were great to time attack.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DocEggmanNega
you could always use an AR and change that.demoman_chaos
I did that with SA2 and it sucked. He takes forever to run through radical highway. ANd the speed up codes make him look weird running downhill. Lastly, he is not compatible with all the speed gimmicks.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 demoman_chaos

He looks weird when running at full speed anyways.

Probably be best for SADX level swapping.

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DocEggmanNega

I did that, too, but it was weird or sometimes impossible due to suicidical start points. I had to use the jump code just to get Knuckles to beat Emerald Coast. Stupid transition.

Boss and stage swapping is always interesting. Watching Tails go "WOAH!" at Icecap was funny.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 demoman_chaos

Suicidal start points? Shouldn't they start in the same place.

Tails has a stage at Icecap.

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DocEggmanNega

Suicidal start points? Shouldn't they start in the same place.

Tails has a stage at Icecap.

demoman_chaos

You'd think they would, but no. It's like that with alot of characters. Go take Knuckles to Emeralds Coast and you'll see.

Tails doesn't have the full Icecap stage. I took him to the full stage and he acted like Sonic when he saw the avalanche.