dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

See title for the question, i was a nintendo kid even though i might've been quite late to the party!

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

The only SEGA system we had was the Mega Drive and I rarely played it, so Nintendo.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

Nintendo.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I was both Nintendo and Sega kid back in the 90s. My first console was SNES from Nintendo and when I saw Sonic the Hedgehog at the mall for the first time, I knew I had to convince my parents to buy me a Sega Genesis just because Sonic was amazing. I was too young to understand the console wars between Nintendo and Sega until the year 1997.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I had both, but I preferred Nintendo.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Both. I had a Genesis at home and SNES at my grandmothers and loved both. We lived on the same block when I was a kid so I played them about evenly also.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

I grew up with both between the NES/SNES and Genesis. I feel like I was more Nintendo oriented up until some point in the N64's lifetime then shifted more focus towards Sega's stuff. Even to this day I still find myself hunting older titles on Sega consoles more often than Nintendo consoles (unless it's their handhelds perhaps.)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@megane said:

The only SEGA system we had was the Mega Drive and I rarely played it, so Nintendo.

Exactly this.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

SEGA, as was most everyone I knew at school. I did play on my cousins' NES and SNES, and also my best friend's SNES, basically every time I saw them up until around 2005, but I liked and still like the Genesis much more. From gen 5 and onwards, I became mostly a PC gamer, and I started getting Nintendo consoles for myself, mainly because I needed to own Rogue Squadron. I got my Saturn back then too, but I actually preferred the N64 over it, because its 3D games felt way more next-gen; though now I feel the complete opposite since the N64's library has aged like shit while the Saturn's library has proven to be timeless. Gens 6-7, I ended up getting everything, but the Xboxes became my favorite systems behind the PC.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

None, I didn´t own any of those systems, I played in arcades until I was about 20 and didn´t purchase a console until very late in the generation I purchased my PS1, so late that actually about 6 mo after purchasing it the PS2 was launched. Some of the games I played were Nintendo and some were Sega, two of my favorite games are Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.

The_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Boss
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Sega!

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

though I was an Atari kid but I played my first fighting game on sega after that I Switched to PC gaming

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Nes then sega kid for awhile with genesis, then back to where I belong..Nintendo.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By N64DD

@Renegade_Fury: some nintendo 64 games aged bad some good...I am biased though. Curious..have you had a chance to play radiant silverlight for saturn or own it?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renegade_Fury
@n64dd said:

@Renegade_Fury: some nintendo 64 games aged bad some good...I am biased though. Curious..have you had a chance to play radiant silverlight for saturn or own it?

I have it, but I think it's kind of overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but Galactic Attack is my favorite shmup on the Saturn.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would have to say Nintendo since I had the NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy color and N64 then the Gamecube along with GBA , I only had Sega Genesis, and Sega Game Gear. Didn't bother with Sega Master System, Sega Saturn or Sega Dreamcast.

So only 2 out of 5 Sega Systems VS all of The Nintendo systems.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I've never owned a Nintendo system (not counting my brother's DS) but I did own a Sega Saturn as my first ever console so I'll go with Sega. I loved it but unfortunately we had to move a year later I think and I couldn't keep the system. Got a ps1 later at some point for my birthday and stuck with playstation since.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Nintendo easily. The only Sega console I've ever played was Genesis and Dreamcast. And I knew no one who had any of the attachments or the Saturn. One of the only games I remember that I preferred playing on the Genesis was Earthworm Jim.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

Totally a Sega boy, but I soon got into Nintendo as well when I had my own money to splash around.

Moonco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Moonco  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 3848 Posts

Sega all the way!! I still have my Mega Drive and Dreamcast connected to the bedroom TV. Used to have the Mega CD but that died. I wanted a Saturn but the price was to high so I got stuck playing the PS1 at my friends :-( The Japanese Saturn controller is probably my favorite of all time and I have one connect to a Mayflash adapter for PC gaming.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

SEGA

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Sega because...

Sega did what Nintendidn't.

Edge_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Edge_Plus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

Nintendo because I owned a gameboy color, gameboy advanced and gameboy SP when i was a wee little lad.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I guess I was overall a Nintendo kid though, because Genesis was the only Sega console I ever had until I was an adult. But we did have N64, Gamecube, GBC, GBA.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N64DD

@Renegade_Fury said:
@n64dd said:

I have it, but I think it's kind of overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but Galactic Attack is my favorite shmup on the Saturn.

Really? is that a USA game or import? don't know much about it.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Renegade_Fury

@n64dd said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@n64dd said:

Really? is that a USA game or import? don't know much about it.

It's a USA game, I actually got it in the 90's, but it seems to have gotten noticed by collectors recently, so its value has increased. Mark from Classic Game Room has a good review on it.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Exceed20XX

I think I recognize that game. : O I think it went under the name Layer Section in Japan no? I dig CGR also. xD

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Renegade_Fury

@Exceed20XX said:

I think I recognize that game. : O I think it went under the name Layer Section in Japan no? I dig CGR also. xD

Yeah, it's called Layer Section in Japan, and it goes by a third name, Ray Force, in the arcades. It's a great game, and it's my favorite shmup ever next to MUSHA.

It's cool to see another CGR fan here as well. All hail, Lord Karnage!

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Exceed20XX

@Renegade_Fury: Ah that's how I first heard of it likely. Funny I was listening to RayCrisis (the next "Ray" game) music the other day too. The Saturn version hasn't ended up with MUSHA-like prices or anything so far has it? I haven't peeked into its market in a while.

And yeah, I dunno what it is or how to put it but there's something about CGR/Mark's reviews that just come off as fun.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Renegade_Fury

@Exceed20XX: Nah, it's not on a MUSHA type of level, but it isn't a $1 game anymore like Mark says in the review. The starting point for just the disc by itself is more like $20+ now. So it's still pretty affordable, but if you want the case and everything, then it's kind of a little expensive.

Yeah, Mark is my favorite reviewer out there because of just that. He isn't serious at all, and he focuses on the fun factor of games, rather than trying to over analyze and criticize while using an arbitrary scoring system. I wish more reviewers were like him, but I guess his style is what makes him special.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Sega kid, I suppose. Loved Sonic back in the day, along with Echo, Phantasy Star, etc. But I love classic Nintendo IP as well. Frankly I played PC the most back in the 90s

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I was a Nintendo kid. I honestly did not even know the Master System existed until the mid 90's

Ancient_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ancient_Gamer

I was an Atari 2600 kid... I didn't get an NES until my 14th birthday (I'm 40 now) but if it must be one or the other, I was definitely a Nintendo kid. When the 16-bit systems came out I chose Super NES over the Sega Genesis, so yes, definitely was a Nintendo kid.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Nintendo. I grew up with Nintendo, and I still prefer Nintendo to this day over Sony and Microsoft.

I did have a Gamegear and Genesis back in the day, but I rarely played them and never had a lot of games for them.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Sega

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36  Edited By Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I was definitely a Sega kid, I never played the Master System (thanks), but I definitely had the genesis, saturn and dreamcast. I played the heck out of those. I had the NES, SNES and N64, but I enjoyed my Sega consoles much more.

What is interesting as I have gotten older, I seem to appreciate my Nintendo consoles over my Sega ones. Maybe that is because of the maturity in the games.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Exceed20XX

@Samslayer said:

I was definitely a Sega kid, I never played the Megadrive, but I definitely had the genesis, saturn and dreamcast. I played the heck out of those. I had the NES, SNES and N64, but I enjoyed my Sega consoles much more.

What is interesting as I have gotten older, I seem to appreciate my Nintendo consoles over my Sega ones. Maybe that is because of the maturity in the games.

I suppose you mean you never had a Master System? If you had a Genesis then you had a Mega Drive technically, as Genesis is the North American name for the Mega Drive.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38  Edited By Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

@Exceed20XX: Sorry yes, a Master System, my mistake :)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Sega for me... The first Ninty console I owned was Gamecube.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I didn't even know sega existed for quite a while, I think I remember seeing saturn games in a store or two but it was not big where I was. I really wish I picked up a saturn and games back then haha. Dreamcast too.

N64 kid btw

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Exceed20XX
@Renegade_Fury said:

@Exceed20XX: Nah, it's not on a MUSHA type of level, but it isn't a $1 game anymore like Mark says in the review. The starting point for just the disc by itself is more like $20+ now. So it's still pretty affordable, but if you want the case and everything, then it's kind of a little expensive.

Yeah, Mark is my favorite reviewer out there because of just that. He isn't serious at all, and he focuses on the fun factor of games, rather than trying to over analyze and criticize while using an arbitrary scoring system. I wish more reviewers were like him, but I guess his style is what makes him special.

I agree, to me his approach came across as more of a "here's the good, (maybe) here's the bad, is it fun?" sort of approach in the stuff I watched. It didn't seem like looking for things to criticize for the sake of it first, THEN there's a couple good points. I dunno, I guess it comes across to me as more of a fair shake sort of approach. This makes me almost want to rummage through the videos and just arbitrarily find something I'll want to track down. xD

Meanwhile all said seeing the current rates they don't seem like dreadful prices really, considering the Saturn market's shape. I may end up looking into them down the road if I drop into another Saturn shmup.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Sega. I was all about the genesis. I got a SNES, but at the end of the generation for a song. I was all about Sonic, Phantasy Star, Landstalker, Shining Force, Street Fighter, and the uncensored version of Mortal Kombat!

And of course I ended up with a Saturn and lots of those games and was saving up for a Dreamcast when Sega shut down. I was and still am heartbroken about it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Reluctantly a Sega Kid, Master System my first console and I got the Genesis for Christmas when it launched in the UK. Think my parents just though his last console was Sega lets stick with that.

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Sega

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Looking back it is hard to say. We had an NES/SNES but also lived in the same house as a relative with a Genesis. Aside from that, even as a child I was a big fan of many Sega arcade games like Afterburner/Outrun/etc. I think perhaps a reason we always chose the Nintendo console was because of arcades. There was the home experience and the arcade experience. I'm in no way dissing the genesis and saturn, but the experiences on systems like the snes/n64 were nowhere else to be found. The best shooters and fighters were in arcades.

I just thought this very recently, too. Finally got a hold of a Genesis and it does many things better than the snes--I'll go back and fourth as to which is better.

Currently shopping around for a Saturn--disc based systems are the most difficult to shop for.

..................Oh and I had the Nintendo consoles but for some reason got a Game Gear..............worst decision ever.

GameFan265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GameFan265

@dylandr: Nintendo !!

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I had a Nintendo while my neighbor had a Sega. So we both ended up playing the best of both worlds. I loved Nintendo more. But Sega had some really cool gems like Rocket Knight Adventures and Sonic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@voljin1987:

Rocket Knight is the most underrated game on the console. Sparkster is one of the best games of the generation and both are FAR better than Sonic. Love that music.

Loading Video...

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

@Heirren: Totally agree. I remember there was a boss later on in the game where the pig was in some kind of armored fish. There would a around 30-45 seconds of really hard platforming (crumbling bricks and stuff) and a single second when the pig would jump out and you had to hit him then. Me and my friend played well into the midnight before we were able to beat that boss. Good times.. Sparkster on the SNES just did not have that charm that Rocket Knight adventures did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@voljin1987:

Yeah I remember the snes versions just being alright. It has been awhile, though. I always thought the genesis Aladdin was better than the snes one. Going back though, the snes Aladdin actually plays better.

Sparkster is the closest thing the Genesis has to reaching Nintendo quality in that genre.