ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

I decide to start collecting retro games. What system should i start with first?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Its becoming an expensive hobby. I started about 3 years ago and it just continues to get more and more expensive. I started with SNES which has skyrocketed. But lately have been enjoying gamecube.

If you are an rpg fan its hard to beat snes/ps1

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@ankor77 said:

Its becoming an expensive hobby. I started about 3 years ago and it just continues to get more and more expensive. I started with SNES which has skyrocketed. But lately have been enjoying gamecube.

If you are an rpg fan its hard to beat snes/ps1

Prices are going down for the most part.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

SNES and Genesis is what I would recommend.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ryanweinmann

@ankor77: Yeah, I'm a big rpg fan. was thinking about ps1

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@ryanweinmann said:

@ankor77: Yeah, I'm a big rpg fan. was thinking about ps1

I would consider a PS2 instead since it can also play PS1 games. And PS2 has some great RPGs as well.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive and Sega Dreamcast would be good to start. Nintendo NES and SNES and Playstations 1 and 2 are always good retro systems to begin with. Even the Original Xbox from 2001 would be a good beginng

But you could really go Retro with Atari systems 2600 or really chance it with the Jaguar or NEC's Turbo Graphx 16 which was a Japan hit, But ended up a niche console in North America.

RPG's is best on PlayStation one, PlayStation 2 and Super Nintendo. While Shoot them ups are best on Sega Saturn, sega Genesis, NEC Turbo Graphics 16, and PlayStation.

Platformers are best on SNES and Sega genesis. So it depends on what retro game genres you want to play. Sports sims were the best on Sega Genesis

So which Game genres interest you. Then choose the retro console that has the game you like.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@ryanweinmann: If you're going to target a specific console, maybe you could research some of them on youtube before you decide. Otherwise, if no specific platform is chosen, why not just buy anything retro you find affordable? If you remain patient, check local thrift stores for games, go to garage sales, maybe even pawn shops, you will find a lot of entertainment for pennies on the dollar over time, and once in a while a real gem will land in your lap. Spend some time learning what is out there, what is valuable, what is fun, and when you happen to find a gem hiding in a thrift store or garage sale, pounce on it!

I would say from 40% up to maybe 60% of my game collection came from garage sales or thrift stores.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD

@suicidesn0wman said:

@ryanweinmann: If you're going to target a specific console, maybe you could research some of them on youtube before you decide. Otherwise, if no specific platform is chosen, why not just buy anything retro you find affordable? If you remain patient, check local thrift stores for games, go to garage sales, maybe even pawn shops, you will find a lot of entertainment for pennies on the dollar over time, and once in a while a real gem will land in your lap. Spend some time learning what is out there, what is valuable, what is fun, and when you happen to find a gem hiding in a thrift store or garage sale, pounce on it!

I would say from 40% up to maybe 60% of my game collection came from garage sales or thrift stores.

My buddy just got copies smash brawl, mario sunshine and luigi's mansion, all black label for 1 dollar a piece CIB at garage sales.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 suicidesn0wman

@n64dd: That's a hell of a find, wish the sales around me would provide some fruit. Been pretty dry this year and last, 90% of my finds since Apr 2014 have been from the thrift, though I guess I don't go to sales as often, it's hard to motivate yourself to go when the results have been slim.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD

@suicidesn0wman said:

@n64dd: That's a hell of a find, wish the sales around me would provide some fruit. Been pretty dry this year and last, 90% of my finds since Apr 2014 have been from the thrift, though I guess I don't go to sales as often, it's hard to motivate yourself to go when the results have been slim.

I think people are catching on.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ryanweinmann

@suicidesn0wman: I was just thinking about that. I got couple of thrift stores around me which I can go to. There's also a store about 40 min away that sales games but it kindred expensive depending on the game. I think I will start on ps1 first. If I find any other games at garage sales or thrift stores I will buy them.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By N64DD

@ryanweinmann said:

@suicidesn0wman: I was just thinking about that. I got couple of thrift stores around me which I can go to. There's also a store about 40 min away that sales games but it kindred expensive depending on the game. I think I will start on ps1 first. If I find any other games at garage sales or thrift stores I will buy them.

Most cities in the US, will have a day set aside each month in the summer for garage sales. If you can get there early you can get some good buys.

piMple97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 piMple97
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts
@n64dd said:
@ryanweinmann said:

Most cities in the US, will have a day set aside each month in the summer for garage sales. If you can get there early you can get some good buys.

You would be amazed with what can be found at garage sales. I found myself a complete collectors edition Ocarina of time for only 5 bucks! Also found DKC3 complete for 5 too. Great tip. Scout those things out.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Its expensive, i looked at games I used to own and they are pretty pricey.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

As painful as the prices are, SNES, because it's only going to get worse from here.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

start with what you like

MANd0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MANd0n
Member since 2014 • 187 Posts

@suicidesn0wman said:

Can't stress enough the benefit of checking local ads and searching thrift shops. I got a $50 NES that way. Two controllers and two games, and a $15 Mario World Cartridge.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

@mdk12345: Wouldn't playing Dreamcast games that way wear out your lens faster though?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#21 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Exceed20XX said:

@mdk12345: Wouldn't playing Dreamcast games that way wear out your lens faster though?

Yes. I don't know why people ignore this and just pirate everything left and right. You'll have to do very slow very high quality burns to minimize this risk.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 suicidesn0wman

@mdk12345: I thought about doing that before, but when I went to put my games on display, the burned DC games looked terrible on the shelf and made me feel like a terrible collector. I only keep the boot CD now to play imports.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By suicidesn0wman

It's just a matter of opinion, to each their own.

Avatar image for superretrogamer
SuperRetroGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SuperRetroGamer
Member since 2018 • 65 Posts

You can begin with Atari 2600. There are around 460 games together and basic game cartridges are not expensive.

If you want better games, what you can play and enjoy, I can recommand Nintendo NES, SNES, or GAME BOY.

Sindroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#28  Edited By Sindroid
Member since 2009 • 718 Posts

I have for some reason started to collect Xbox 360 games out of pure coincidence. Bought 30 titles for like $25 and got hooked. Not particular RETRO in a sense, but 360 games goes for nickel and dimes now and i see it a nice way to get started into collecting.

SNES and NES games here home goes for $35. Classics goes for maybe double that.

I think ill get going on Game Boy games one day. The original first one. have a passion for handheld Nintendo´s

retrogamer711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 retrogamer711
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

I just started collecting myself. Retro game collecting gets expensive very quickly lol.

Trevorcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Trevorcon
Member since 2018 • 14 Posts

I would say that a good system to start is the GBA!

Lot of good games... including main SNES ninentdo games.

Then, games boxes are still really nice. US or Japanese.