madeinbrazil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1 madeinbrazil123
Member since 2014 • 148 Posts

Hi guys, I've been gaming quite a lot on ps2 lately,but since I'm on a hd tv (not full hd,something between 720 and 1080p) the image looks really bad. My dad was getting rid of some old stuff and he found out his old tube tv, the one that has audio and video cables.Will switching to that tv make the image better?

Thanks for the time!

F0cu5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 F0cu5
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Generally a standard definition game will look best on a standard definition screen, yes. I wish I had one on hand for playing Gen 6 games myself. I will probably eventually pick one up.

Just be aware that tube TVs will look kind of blurry and fuzzy by nature after staring at high definition LCD screens for several years. Your eyes might need to adjust. This effect will be more severe on older tubes. The best are the flat tubes produced through the 2000s. Standard-def games look awesome on those.

Baron_Machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3 Baron_Machina
Member since 2017 • 273 Posts

Aside from getting a standard screen TV, you could adjust your settings on your HDTV. Adjusting sharpness and feathering can really help reduce the amount of blur. It's what I do for my PS2. The pixels will obviously be a lot more visible, due to the low resolution, but if you sit back far enough from the TV its perfectly fine.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

If you have a TV between 720 and 1080p, then it might as well be 1366x768 pixels, which is fine for upscaling 480p content. The former is exactly 1.6 times higher than EDTV. Unfortunately, most PS2 games were developed with native 480i, but you can still try progressive scan with component cables. A video converter, upscaler or linedoubler are also good with SCART RGB, but those are quite the investment.