mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#52 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

I know this is extreme, but I think politicians should be banned from social media. The temptation to lie, exaggerate, omit, and otherwise mislead the American public is too great....and that's without social media. With it? Well, just look at the past four years.

President has the Whitehouse website. States should give their senators and congressmen a website and 21 minutes per week on public access television, and that's it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

@mrbojangles25: The president has the largest microphone in the country with or without social media. It even has it's own term - the bully pulpit.

I feel the problem is that the president and his enablers feel they can lie without repercussions, and their followers allow them to. Not the medium through which those lies are conveyed. Lacking the social media medium, they'd simply continue to use others to largely the same effect, and leave the propagation of them through social media to their followers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mrbojangles25

@mattbbpl: Everything you say is accurate, I just feel people tend to believe it more when it's on Twitter...for whatever reason. People used to doubt--healthily, I might add-- the truth and over all message whenever the president would speak. Now it's like "Oh it must be true!".

I miss that doubt we always seemed to have, that patriotic skepticism haha

I don't know, tbh I don't remember social media ever being a real concern for important stuff. More of just an annoyance than anything. This all seems new and oddly threatening.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, I'm just cautioning against viewing your proposal as a panacea. I fear there are no easy answers, and the true solution will be retraining ourselves how to think again (which is legitimately a learned skill we seem to have lost).

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, I'm just cautioning against viewing your proposal as a panacea. I fear there are no easy answers, and the true solution will be retraining ourselves how to think again (which is legitimately a learned skill we seem to have lost).

not lost. more of taken over by external forces . for profit gains

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mrbojangles25

@firedrakes said:
@mattbbpl said:

not lost. more of taken over by external forces . for profit gains

Yeah, they (those external forces) have really mastered appealing to the id, to the lizard part of our brain, in subtle ways. Far more sinister than "sex sells" or simply making people angry.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 mattbbpl

@firedrakes: That sounds about right.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@firedrakes: That sounds about right.

yes it does.. like erb bay said. its all about the fkign money

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: @Maroxad: So no citations or proof to prove your claim. Got it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Trolling? Or do you have proof that needs refuted?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

The burden of proof lies on the one making the positive claim.

That is the one that asserts that Social Media specifically targets right wingers for being right wingers. The fact is, you are targetting a small part of my greater argument.

And no Anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. The fact that millions of right wingers are posting on Twitter Right now is evidence that right wingers are allowed to post there. Just that they too need to actually READ the terms of service.

Leftists also get banned for spreading misinformation, such as David Icke. But alas, most prominent leftists tend to know to NOT spread hatred against right wingers, and when they do get banned, they dont tend to make a big deal out of it.

But just to please you, I will lower the bar to your level (which means I need to dig a bit)

From 2020 alone,

• A (fake) Antifa account got banned for hateful comments towards right wingers.
  • The Chaser got suspended for impersonating and calling Trump an idiot.
  • 70 accounts were banned for pro michael bloomberg spam
  • 170k pro CCP accounts were banned for disinformation
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mattbbpl

Here's a recent example of social media bias against conservatives.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl: Obviously they should label the zero tweets to be fair........lol.

Edit: tweets. I was talking to my dog.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I always found it funny how some conservatives have no difficulties accepting that some demographics have higher incarceration rates, because they commit more crimes (which is true, but it is due to environmental factors as opposed to inherent ones). But when Right Wingers are more likely to be banned from a platform (which is also true), they cry foul, and put on their tinfoil hats.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@mattbbpl said:

I always found it funny how some conservatives have no difficulties accepting that some demographics have higher incarceration rates, because they commit more crimes (which is true, but it is due to environmental factors as opposed to inherent ones). But when Right Wingers are more likely to be banned from a platform (which is also true), they cry foul, and put on their tinfoil hats.

They hate being the out group. Then it is unfair. As long as they are the in group, it is fair.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Curse them and their bias towards *checks notes*.....facts and evidence.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mattbbpl

@Maroxad said:
@mattbbpl said:

One of these days I'm going to break down and tattoo the image below on my forehead so I can just point to it whenever these types of things are brought up.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@Maroxad said:
@mattbbpl said:

One of these days I'm going to break down and tattoo the image below on my forehead so I can just point to it whenever these types of things are brought up.

Survivorship bias when they succeed. Persecution complex when don't get everything they want. A winning combo.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

So...Trump is now threatening to veto the National Defense Authorization Act if s.230 doesn't get repealed.

That's the act that funds the US military for 2021.

He's actually threatening to destroy the US military over Twitter tags.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

This man is unhinged. 25th amendment or complete the impeachment. He's trying to destroy the country before he leaves, likely to make a mess that Biden can't clean up so he has a better chance in 2024.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Techhog89

@mattbbpl: Post some examples of Biden tweets that should be flagged and why. Also, Biden hasn't even tweeted 100 times since then.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mattbbpl

@techhog89: I can't, and I know. The claim is ludicrous.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@techhog89 said:

This man is unhinged. 25th amendment or complete the impeachment. He's trying to destroy the country before he leaves, likely to make a mess that Biden can't clean up so he has a better chance in 2024.

Like the tax increase set for 2021?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Techhog89

@horgen said:
@techhog89 said:

Like the tax increase set for 2021?

Yes, exactly. Biden will be blamed for it, and Trump will make sure to use that as a talking point in his rallies.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Techhog89

And now his supporters are calling for Martial Law... For the good of the country and the world, Trump and his family need to be jailed for life and/or executed. They're saying that it's necessary to prevent civil war, but the people making that claim are the ones likely to start a civil war. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Trump either needs to man-up and stop this or be declared a traitor. Though, it may be too late. The damage he's done is likely irreparable.

At the very least, him and his supporters should defect from the Republican Party and form their own party since they divided the party anyway.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The national security thing? Who knows. What I do know is twitter is one of the DUMBEST pieces of media in existence.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LJS9502_basic

@Solaryellow said:

The national security thing? Who knows. What I do know is twitter is one of the DUMBEST pieces of media in existence.

I bet parlor has that beat..........

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

While the original article is adding some flair to draw a story from a Tweet, there is some interesting underlying arguments to be made here regarding the immunity from major tech-corporations; especially when they act as a publisher. As for matter of "national security," keep in mind there are major powerful nations/conglomerates (European Union included) across the globe that actively control/regulate content on the internet - and why content is posted via the "dark web/VPNs" to circumvent overreaching governments. There's arguments to be made on both sides.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#81 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@techhog89 said:

And now his supporters are calling for Martial Law... For the good of the country and the world, Trump and his family need to be jailed for life and/or executed. They're saying that it's necessary to prevent civil war, but the people making that claim are the ones likely to start a civil war. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Trump either needs to man-up and stop this or be declared a traitor. Though, it may be too late. The damage he's done is likely irreparable.

At the very least, him and his supporters should defect from the Republican Party and form their own party since they divided the party anyway.

Yeah, that doesn't make you look unhinged at all.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic

@eoten said:
@techhog89 said:

Haven't been paying attention to Michael Flynn then have you...........

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Techhog89

@eoten said:
@techhog89 said:

I'm unhinged for saying that a traitor threatening national security and the Constitution needs to be dealt with before they start a civil war that will cost millions of innocent lives?

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#85 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Trump should just do what a lot of us conservatives did. Drop twitter and go on Parler exclusively. I know he’s on both, but he could singlehandedly get millions off Twitter if he did.

I honestly don’t know anyone who uses Facebook for anything social.

Running to a safe space doesn't really help the conservative assertion that it's the liberals who are snowflakes. Besides, if Bitchute, Gab and Freedombook are anything to go by, it won't be popular enough outside of angry old conservatives to be anywhere NEAR a contender for the mainstream platforms, and will forever have a hand-to-mouth relationship with the most extreme of conservative groups.

By the way, here's an example of the lively debate to be found on Parler...

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Techhog89

Who's the threat to national security, again?