Trump wants a Miltiary parade too because France did it?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Really?

In the world of the politcal handshake that would be called being the *****

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Post, which noted that shows of military strength are not typical in the United States. The last of its kind took place in June 1991, when 8,800 U.S. troops and the weapons that helped the United States win the Persian Gulf War against Saddam Hussein were celebrated in Washington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/07/why-trumps-military-parade-wont-be-like-the-one-in-france/?utm_term=.0c8c098dbba1

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

how much is that going to cost?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TryIt

@drlostrib said:

how much is that going to cost?

less than all his golf trips last year plus an airforce 1 fridge combined

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@drlostrib: very much. Moving all that military equipment around definitely isn’t cheap.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@drlostrib: The last one, thrown by Bush, cost 12 million.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Will France pay for it?

Maybe Trump should focus on homeless and impoverished veterans with that money instead.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Does he want them to play the La Marseillaise too?

Edit: Also if he wants that then odds are he's seen the Military parades in North Korea and thought " Lucky Kim getting all that devotion" without being able to express it out loud, until France had a parade while he visited so now he can point at them and go " I want that.".

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I'm not against celebrating our troops, but we have a history of throwing our vets a parade as a way to distract from the fact that we don't do a lot for them and regularly screw them from time to time. That's basically what I'm afraid this is.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Lol. I always associate these kind of may day parades with like Russia, North Korea, China, etc. Trumpy, smh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

This is hilarious. Someone needs to show Trump the North Korean Mass Games so he can try to organize something bigger and better.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Waste of money to boost his ego. He sucks. Period.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@tryit said:

Really?

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Post, which noted that shows of military strength are not typical in the United States. The last of its kind took place in June 1991, when 8,800 U.S. troops and the weapons that helped the United States win the Persian Gulf War against Saddam Hussein were celebrated in Washington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/07/why-trumps-military-parade-wont-be-like-the-one-in-france/?utm_term=.0c8c098dbba1

I do not see a problem in having a parade.

But considering that it would break with bi-partisan politics for centuries, it´s best to keep it that way.

With that said tho, it´s washout post article, so the credibility of is beyond zero.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:

But considering that it would break with bi-partisan politics for centuries, it´s best to keep it that way.

With that said tho, it´s washout post article, so the credibility of is beyond zero.

Of course you don't. Waste money on military parades while cutting health care. The conservative wet dream.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Sure, and again you just spew mindless far-left winged nonsense.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Can't say I am surprised.

Republicans get big ol' boners for the military (military power, mind you, not so much for the people that staff the military) and Trump seems to envy militaristic societies, and those Chinese, Koreans, and Russians sure love their military parades.

He also loves to troll, so spendings tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars on a pointless military parade that literally does nothing practical at all, all while cut cut cutting measures that actually help people, is a pretty big troll.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@sonicare

I found out that India kind of does it and had their parade last month. Not the same where communist countries do it, but India still shows off things like their tanks, anti air missiles, troops, etc.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

maybe OP can update it, saying if trump wants a parade the Mayor of washington d.c says trump should pay out of his pocket for one

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#22  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I hope this happens. Nothing tops that grandpa smile, like when they let him get in the firetruck. It's a waste of money but it's minimal and you guys would make him happy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

@phbz said:

I hope this happens. Nothing tops that grandpa smile, like when they let him get in the firetruck. It's a waste of money but it's minimal and you guys would make him happy.

It's not minimal. It's disgusting.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

How about this, since he wants the parade "because France did it" we'll give him the parade. However, we also want universal public insurance including unemployment benefits, universal healthcare, a nationalized public education system that goes through the college level with minimal fees, government run public housing that ensures a diverse mix of incomes in most neighborhoods, robust public transportation including high speed rail, signing on to the Paris accords and taking meaningful steps to reduce carbon emissions, a carbon tax, increased spending on zero-emission energy and an end to fossil fuel subsidization, meaningful financial regulation, and over 30% of GDP spent on social services. Because France did it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

We need our own fascist march with white polo shirts and brown khakis to represent Trump's golfing habits.

MAKE EMPIRES GREAT AGAIN

Loading Video...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theone86

@tryit said:

Really?

To add a layer of irony to this, do you remember during the campaign when Trump kept using songs by singers who never gave him permission (there's that conservative principle of respecting property rights again)? You know, the songs that were very obviously satirizing American optimism and not at all endorsing blind patriotism like Born in the USA and Keep On Rocking in the Free World? I just realized that Free World literally takes a jab at this very military parade (the lyrics about a man of the people are a jab at HW Bush, and the song starts out with "there's colors in the street, red white and blue," obviously referencing the parade). So not only does Trump appropriate a protest song in order to push the very same cultural agenda it's protesting, but he then goes and decides he wants to revive a practice that the same song is obviously railing against.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I'm actually surprised that you don't have military parades that often. In Finland we've two every year. On Independence day (6 Dec) and on Flag Day of the Finnish Defence Forces (4 June, also the birthday of CGE Mannerheim). I've marched in Flag Day parade in 2007.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Icarian said:

I'm actually surprised that you don't have military parades that often. In Finland we've two every year. On Independence day (6 Dec) and on Flag Day of the Finnish Defence Forces (4 June, also the birthday of CGE Mannerheim). I've marched in Flag Day parade in 2007.

We have almost zero national parades honoring our military. We however have oodles and oodles of local parades honoring the military, depending on the area. The pro-military party associates federal displays with communists. The anti-military party is very pleased by that fact.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Really?

I dont see a problem with having a parade either.

that is not what I am saying, what I am saying is that Trump likes to demonstrate his political dominance and he just let France take the political lead by him saying 'I wanna do it like France did it because I lost a stare down handshake and his wife is hot'

he has more than once expressed subtle jealously over the French leader inability to cave to his precieved dominance.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TryIt

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

Really?

To add a layer of irony to this, do you remember during the campaign when Trump kept using songs by singers who never gave him permission (there's that conservative principle of respecting property rights again)? You know, the songs that were very obviously satirizing American optimism and not at all endorsing blind patriotism like Born in the USA and Keep On Rocking in the Free World? I just realized that Free World literally takes a jab at this very military parade (the lyrics about a man of the people are a jab at HW Bush, and the song starts out with "there's colors in the street, red white and blue," obviously referencing the parade). So not only does Trump appropriate a protest song in order to push the very same cultural agenda it's protesting, but he then goes and decides he wants to revive a practice that the same song is obviously railing against.

interesting factoid I was unaware of, pretty funny

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

Really?

i don't think trump put much thought into choosing campaign songs

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@Gaming-Planet: that reminds me, I need to get a round of C&C Red Alert in soon.

RIP Westwood Studios

@kittennose said:
@Icarian said:

We have almost zero national parades honoring our military. We however have oodles and oodles of local parades honoring the military, depending on the area. The pro-military party associates federal displays with communists. The anti-military party is very pleased by that fact.

Yeah I think it goes to a more state government vs federal government kind of thing. A lot of towns, counties, and states will hold festivities to honor serving members of the military or fallen members, but I think the federal government doesn't like (or should not like) to do those things as it would come off as a display of power, and we all know how Trump respects the states and wants smaller federal government...

As an example, here is Texas honoring sniper and fallen veteran Chris Kyle. It's not really an official parade or anything, but you'll see stuff like this all over the US for returning veterans, people being deployed, etc.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theone86

@comp_atkins said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

Really?

I actually think he did. I think he deliberately wanted to take songs whose agendas he despised and use them to bolster the very same cultural agenda they were protesting. Not that the decision for the military parade was a part of that, I think that's just irony, just that the iconoclasm was very intentional.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TryIt

@theone86 said:
@comp_atkins said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

Really?

I actually think he did. I think he deliberately wanted to take songs whose agendas he despised and use them to bolster the very same cultural agenda they were protesting. Not that the decision for the military parade was a part of that, I think that's just irony, just that the iconoclasm was very intentional.

there is absolutely no way his base have any idea whatsoever what those songs are about.

so who would be the audience?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@comp_atkins said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

Really?

there is absolutely no way his base have any idea whatsoever what those songs are about.

Liberals. So much of his whole spiel revolves around pissing off liberals, I think he and his supporters get a great amount of joy from taking satirical protest songs, playing them as if they were jingoistic ballads, having tons of uninformed or ambivalent supporters buying into this interpretation, and watching all of us who actually care about what the artists were trying to say complain about them being taken out of context. Trumpism is an ideology built on nihilistic antagonism and a complete vacuum of referential truth.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TryIt

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@comp_atkins said:
@theone86 said:

Liberals. So much of his whole spiel revolves around pissing off liberals, I think he and his supporters get a great amount of joy from taking satirical protest songs, playing them as if they were jingoistic ballads, having tons of uninformed or ambivalent supporters buying into this interpretation, and watching all of us who actually care about what the artists were trying to say complain about them being taken out of context. Trumpism is an ideology built on nihilistic antagonism and a complete vacuum of referential truth.

there is no way in hell he could ever remotely be that sophisticated in strategy and on top of that is not in his strategic style AND he is not clever enough to switch strategies easily.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@comp_atkins said:

there is no way in hell he could ever remotely be that sophisticated in strategy and on top of that is not in his strategic style AND he is not clever enough to switch strategies easily.

Um, have you been paying attention? This is literally the alt-right playbook, re-purpose liberal rhetoric in an attempt to undermine its meaning, equivocate endlessly to remove any semblance of truth. It is what his staff has been doing since day one. Maybe he isn't the one who came up with this strategy, but A. it doesn't matter if he or an aide came up with it and B. I think it's a mistake to underestimate him and completely write him off. That's how he got elected to begin with.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TryIt

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

Um, have you been paying attention? This is literally the alt-right playbook, re-purpose liberal rhetoric in an attempt to undermine its meaning, equivocate endlessly to remove any semblance of truth. It is what his staff has been doing since day one. Maybe he isn't the one who came up with this strategy, but A. it doesn't matter if he or an aide came up with it and B. I think it's a mistake to underestimate him and completely write him off. That's how he got elected to begin with.

regardless of if that is true or not (I will not divert the point for that) the point I am making is that Trump and his administration is not nearly remotely sophisticated enough to that at the level of choosing musical choices.

in this case Occam's Razor makes the most sense...that the most obvious answer is most likely to be true. Which is they have no idea what the song lyrics mean

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

regardless of if that is true or not (I will not divert the point for that) the point I am making is that Trump and his administration is not nearly remotely sophisticated enough to that at the level of choosing musical choices.

in this case Occam's Razor makes the most sense...that the most obvious answer is most likely to be true. Which is they have no idea what the song lyrics mean

It's not that sophisticated. The songs satirized American nationalism, Trump played them in a way that praises American nationalism. What's so sophisticated about that?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TryIt

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

It's not that sophisticated. The songs satirized American nationalism, Trump played them in a way that praises American nationalism. What's so sophisticated about that?

sorry no.

they do not know what the words of those songs are let alone what they mean.

That is the occam's razor here. Most people dont know what words to songs even mean.

drop it son

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Parades are as stupid as a circus. With that said though, I'd love to ask the people who were in favor of the parade, paid for by residents of Philadelphia and PA, for a useless football team if they would object to one for the military. That's a general question and not one for a specific individual here.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TryIt

@Solaryellow said:

Parades are as stupid as a circus. With that said though, I'd love to ask the people who were in favor of the parade, paid for by residents of Philadelphia and PA, for a useless football team if they would object to one for the military. That's a general question and not one for a specific individual here.

I dont think anyone here is suggesting Trump should not do the parade.

(well to be fair some are).

I think he should do it...go for it bro! show France who is boss

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:

sorry no.

they do not know what the words of those songs are let alone what they mean.

That is the occam's razor here. Most people dont know what words to songs even mean.

drop it son

They don't know the words to songs? Good god, now you're attributing a level of stupidity to them that, frankly, requires a good deal of complexity to accept. I think you're the one that's employing Occam's razor. Using protest songs as nationalist imagery is not all that complicated, you need to stop just parroting "Occam's razor" and explain why you think it's too complex to be believable.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

Waste of money. Though that seems to be the course things are taking, with the new budget/not budget. The reason seems dumb too. We don't tend to have displays of military might for the sake of it, hence the reason we rarely see military parades. Save them for Veterans and Memorial day, they make sense there.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Update: The Military Times/Army Times [which are not exactly liberal rags] are reporting that 89% of participants in their polls are of the opinion that the parade is "a waste of money and troops are too busy.", vs 11% who think "it’s a great opportunity to show off U.S. military might".

Its also being reported now that they cost may run up to $30-$50 million.