Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Source

America's highest court also granted an emergency request from the White House allowing part of the refugee ban to go into effect.

The justices said they would consider in October whether Mr Trump's policy should be upheld or struck down.

Mr Trump seeks to place a 90-day ban on people from six mainly Muslim nations and a 120-day ban on refugees.

The Supreme Court said in Monday's ruling: "In practical terms, this means that [the executive order] may not be enforced against foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.

"All other foreign nationals are subject to the provisions of [the executive order]."

A small victory for Trump and his supporters I believe. Still got to wait until October to see the final result.

Anyone surprised? I know I am.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@horgen said:

Are you familiar with the 9th circuit court?

They get overturned about 85%

As for how I feel about this?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Again, we have a great American as president who finally does what's in best interest of real Americans.

I could not be happier.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

I can't really say that I am surprised, since the people that pushed for the ban to be blocked filed in districts that would be more sympathetic to the refugees, while they are now dealing with Supreme Court justices that may be less likely to bring politics in the decision and are more focused on whether or not the EO was actually within the president's authority.

At the same time, the whole point of the original order was to give the country 90 days to strengthen vetting processing, and the original ban was signed five months ago. The additional procedures could have still been worked on even while the portion of the EO that blocked the refugees from coming in was suspended.

If anything, what the Supreme Court comes up with in October will determine how much authority the POTUS will have in future situations dealing with immigrants. If they rule in Trump's favor, it will piss off a lot of people that say he overstepped his authority and/or did it out of some bigoted desire to block Muslims permanently based on his comments during his campaign.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

I can't really say that I am surprised, since the people that pushed for the ban to be blocked filed in districts that would be more sympathetic to the refugees, while they are now dealing with Supreme Court justices that may be less likely to bring politics in the decision and are more focused on whether or not the EO was actually within the president's authority.

At the same time, the whole point of the original order was to give the country 90 days to strengthen vetting processing, and the original ban was signed five months ago. The additional procedures could have still been worked on even while the portion of the EO that blocked the refugees from coming in was suspended.

If anything, what the Supreme Court comes up with in October will determine how much authority the POTUS will have in future situations dealing with immigrants. If they rule in Trump's favor, it will piss off a lot of people that say he overstepped his authority and/or did it out of some bigoted desire to block Muslims permanently based on his comments during his campaign.

I'm surprised and this is what I was thinking. What stopped them from working on these supposed new processes for vetting during these months?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Damn, about time Donnie got a win even if it's only temporary.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Jaysonguy said:
@horgen said:

Again, we have a great American as president who finally does what's in best interest of real Americans.

I could not be happier.

I don't live in the US nor have I ever been there... so no I am not familiar with the 9th circuit court.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:

Source

America's highest court also granted an emergency request from the White House allowing part of the refugee ban to go into effect.

The justices said they would consider in October whether Mr Trump's policy should be upheld or struck down.

Mr Trump seeks to place a 90-day ban on people from six mainly Muslim nations and a 120-day ban on refugees.

The Supreme Court said in Monday's ruling: "In practical terms, this means that [the executive order] may not be enforced against foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.

"All other foreign nationals are subject to the provisions of [the executive order]."

A small victory for Trump and his supporters I believe. Still got to wait until October to see the final result.

Not that surprised. Supreme court tends to be more by the book-justices compared to other lower courts.

Interesting part is that it's a unanimous decision

But good for Trump , he needed this.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@horgen: Lucky you

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@ad1x2 said:

I'm surprised and this is what I was thinking. What stopped them from working on these supposed new processes for vetting during these months?

To be fair, the vetting process is already arduous. In fact, it can take up to 2 years to enter the country as a refugee. DoS has a good description of what the process is like: LINK

At this point it's either make the refugee process more bureaucratic or keep it the way it is which is still bureaucratic. And even then, if the argument is to keep America safe, at no point has any refugee committed any terrorist attacks within the United States.

Honestly, I find the whole thing stupid. You have people calling refugees "invaders" nevermind that this country has accepted refugees around the world since the 40s from all over the world that includes countries we've been at war against, allied with, or not even involved. It's controversial now because people are scared of Muslims.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@Chutebox said:
@ad1x2 said:

To be fair, the vetting process is already arduous. In fact, it can take up to 2 years to enter the country as a refugee. DoS has a good description of what the process is like: LINK

At this point it's either make the refugee process more bureaucratic or keep it the way it is which is still bureaucratic. And even then, if the argument is to keep America safe, at no point has any refugee committed any terrorist attacks within the United States.

Honestly, I find the whole thing stupid. You have people calling refugees "invaders" nevermind that this country has accepted refugees around the world since the 40s from all over the world that includes countries we've been at war against, allied with, or not even involved. It's controversial now because people are scared of Muslims.

Yeah, I know that the process can be long and tedious, and how long it takes could be the difference between a refugee settling into an apartment in Baltimore with his family and the same person being on their knees before being shot in the back of the head in Mosul.

The big issue seems to be the reasons why the ban was put in place versus what people outside of the White House are saying it is for. While many of the people that are for the ban want it in place due to the recent terrorist attacks taking place in Europe, some of the people for the ban want it in place because of prejudice feelings. At the same time, while some people that want the ban gone forever want it gone due to sympathy of potential refugees being murdered by ISIS, there are some others that think that the ban is either based on irrational paranoia of Muslims, or even think that it is based on hatred of Muslims rather than fear of attacks, and wish we accepted even more than what we accepted during President Obama's term.

Obviously, the president shouldn't have said what he did about his desire to temporarily ban Muslims from coming in during his campaign, because if his true desire really is to prevent another terrorist attack, that desire will always be overlooked because of his original comments. At the same time, there is some confusion on the official purpose of the ban (I'm not bringing up the widely believed purpose of discrimination here, everyone has the right to express their opinion what they believe the real reason Trump wants the travel ban that isn't listed in the official explanation).

Officially, the reason those countries are on the list isn't because those areas are the places most likely to be where terrorists come from. The purpose is because the countries on the list have a poor reputation in properly vetting people. The 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, but officially, they aren't on the list because Saudi Arabia does a much better job in 2017 vetting their residents than Iran or Syria (which is in the middle of a civil war).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

In part or not, this is still bad news. Even for Trump himself when his own business partners are affected by it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Not really surprised, I suspected as much. Given this was unanimous, I sure it's an assured bet come October they will rule in favor of Trump.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

On the opposite foot the United States has turned away people. Since you mentioned the 40's, you are aware Jews (from German occupied lands) were denied entry. That's only one example. If you are eager to mention how we've accepted them, you also need to acknowledge we've denied them passage.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

WINNING!!

#Trump2020

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@drunk_pi said:

On the opposite foot the United States has turned away people. Since you mentioned the 40's, you are aware Jews (from German occupied lands) were denied entry. That's only one example. If you are eager to mention how we've accepted them, you also need to acknowledge we've denied them passage.

Funny you should mention that since I've mentioned that numerous times when arguing with people opposed to accepting refugees.

The excuses weren't the same. Jewish refugees were often accused of being Nazi spies, communist sympathizers... no wait, it's about the same. Jews were accused of being Nazis, Muslims being accused of being ISIL members. Same shit, different people.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@frank_castle said:

WINNING!!

Well at least he finally got something done. He was losing pretty bad since Jan. Not even sure if this is a full win.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

The original idea was to improve our vetting process over the 90 day ban. What happened to that?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@doomdizzle said:

The original idea was to improve our vetting process over the 90 day ban. What happened to that?

We all knew that was a lie back then and guess what? It turned out to be a lie. Seems like that's all this administration does.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

Never have been to the US? Or not living there?

@doomdizzle said:

That couldn't be done when the ban was lifted obviously.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Pretty much a waste of time to basically distract the public from far more important issues..

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

@horgen: not living here. They just want to get you in prison or ship you to the desert to fight their illegal wars. Modern Americans are a joke

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

Never have been to the US? Or not living there?

@doomdizzle said:

That couldn't be done when the ban was lifted obviously.

No idea why someone would say lucky you to either of those two.

Love or hate Trump, that has nothing to do with the people in america or the country itself. And the Us have some amazing nature parks and sites that everyone should see at least once.

So i hope Horgen that you someday get to at least travel to the us and enjoy what the country was to offer.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@horgen said:

I could not be happier.

Another Trumpkin who lives in fantasy land. Right wing news rots your brain. Conservative courts have the honor of getting overturned the most by the SC. Welcome to reality. You may ignore away...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/26/donald-trump/does-ninth-circuit-have-overturn-record-close-80/

The 9th Circuit’s reversal rate is higher than average, but it’s not the absolute highest among the circuit courts. That distinction goes to the 6th Circuit, which serves Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee, with an 87 percent average between 2010-15. The 9th Circuit placed third.

6th Circuit - 87 percent;

11th Circuit - 85 percent;

9th Circuit - 79 percent;

3rd Circuit - 78 percent;

2nd Circuit and Federal Circuit - 68 percent;

8th Circuit - 67 percent;

5th Circuit - 66 percent;

7th Circuit - 48 percent;

DC Circuit - 45 percent;

1st Circuit and 4th Circuit - 43 percent;

10th Circuit - 42 percent.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

@Jacanuk: Yes the scenery is great just not the modern government. (nothing to do with trump) More to it than a simple statement compadre

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

No idea why someone would say lucky you to either of those two.

Love or hate Trump, that has nothing to do with the people in america or the country itself. And the Us have some amazing nature parks and sites that everyone should see at least once.

So i hope Horgen that you someday get to at least travel to the us and enjoy what the country was to offer.

I do plan on traveling there one day. I really want to visit New York as I have family there. As for nature... Well Red Canyon perhaps. I wish to see things that do not remind me of Norway...