Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

I'm watching Fox News in my office cafeteria over a late lunch, and Trump is in the process of confirming that he's prepared to keep the government shut down "for months or years" until his border wall funding is approved.

He's probably bluffing, but who knows. This also further gives up a bit of leverage in the negotiations by reaccepting responsibility for the shutdown.

Well, one could ask how willing are the Democrats to hurt Americans to not make that wall happen.

But Trump will hopefully go the distance and get the wall funded and not give into the Democrats scare tactics

But...wasn't Mexico supposed to pay for the wall?

Yes, and they can still get to pay for it.

Once it´s built.

I'd like to hear how you expect to get 15-21 Billion Dollars from Mexico.
The US gonna ask if the Cartels would be willing to pitch in?

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Trump's a moron who is willing to hurt Americans so that he doesn't look bad. The wall is a stupid idea and the people that want the wall are stupid. It's basically throwing money at stupidity.

For what the tax payers pay for illegal immigrants it is a bargain. Using the figures spent on illegal immigrants to can be any where from 8 walls to 75 walls being built by the money spent on illegals.

Are you sure it wasn't 211 trillion, so that we could build a gazillion walls instead?

I am not worried you are going to have to pay the debt.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#53 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Treflis said:

Easy tax money transfers to and from Mexico.

Also, put tariffs on Mexican companies exporting to America.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:

That means American customers end up paying, doesn't it?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Trump's a moron who is willing to hurt Americans so that he doesn't look bad. The wall is a stupid idea and the people that want the wall are stupid. It's basically throwing money at stupidity.

For what the tax payers pay for illegal immigrants it is a bargain. Using the figures spent on illegal immigrants to can be any where from 8 walls to 75 walls being built by the money spent on illegals.

Are you sure it wasn't 211 trillion, so that we could build a gazillion walls instead?

I can tell you're not worried since you haven't taken the time to fully understand or interpret what debt/deficit/liabilities even are. You've simply used it as a means to win political points when you know fully well you won't incur the repercussions of it all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:

For the last bit, kinda but consumers can talk with their wallet.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:

For the last bit, kinda but consumers can talk with their wallet.

So Mexico pays for the wall because US customers either choose not to pay for their goods, or they choose to pay more for their goods? At what point is Mexico paying for the wall? Sounds like American citizens are paying for it either way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Jacanuk

@Serraph105 said:

So Mexico pays for the wall because US customers either choose not to pay for their goods, or they choose to pay more for their goods? At what point is Mexico paying for the wall? Sounds like American citizens are paying for it either way.

Did you miss the first bit?

But they pay it by Mexican companies being forced to pay the export tariff.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:

Ugh. The importer pays the tariff, not the exporter.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:

And that would be correct if I was not talking about putting an actual tax on anything any Mexican company brings across the border to America.

The same way you put a tax on money transfers digital or physical to and from Mexico, which last year was 2.6billion so not a small number.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:

And that would be correct if I was not talking about putting an actual tax on anything any Mexican company brings across the border to America.

The same way you put a tax on money transfers digital or physical to and from Mexico, which last year was 2.6billion so not a small number.

What? You literally said tariff. A tariff is paid by the importer.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

It really sucks to be a government worker. I don't know how these people put up with it. With a turd like trump in office, I'd have quit and looked for private employment. The teachers, firefighters, police officers, the TSA, etc etc should all just walk out of the job if they're not going to get paid.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Treflis

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:

That's placing a lot of faith that Mexico won't end trading with the US and set up new deals with other nations in the world because it'd be cheaper for them to do so.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:

A tariff is a tax so same thing.

You may want to go read up on the definition before making a fool of yourself.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:

That's placing a lot of faith that Mexico won't end trading with the US and set up new deals with other nations in the world because it'd be cheaper for them to do so.

Considering America is Mexico´s biggest trade partner, it´s would end up costing them a lot more.

Mexico´s export to the us is almost 80% of their total exports.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@HoolaHoopMan: 100% agree. This is fully on Trump.

This is fascinating to watch.

On the one hand, we’ve Trump whose fighting for this solely on the basis of ego. This is about him, not policy, which makes this all the worse as any conviction within Trump that’s based around his ego is going to be far more difficult to defeat than something he backs on ideological principle. He’s not a man of principle. This is very personal to him. He fails at this, he fails as a man of his word.

On the other, you have the Democrats who aren’t going to budge because to do so would set precedent and send a dangerous message to Trump: that he can succeed by holding the government hostage. They bend on this, there’s no end to what Trump will try.

The majority of Americans are against Trump on this, so the more he drags this out, the more this will hurt him politically. I’m sure his base is loving it though. Do it for months or years Trump, and watch your electoral prospects plummet. I hope the democrats don’t budge.

I agree with everything you say. My biggest fear is that democrats like to play nice, when this is a situation that requires quite the opposite. They cannot cave in, a Trump victory means high approval ratings and a 2020 re-election almost secure.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Well that's ironic...............shutting down the government over security and then having TSA agents call off to look for other work does NOT seem that secure to me. trump is an ass.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Treflis

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:

Considering America is Mexico´s biggest trade partner, it´s would end up costing them a lot more.

That would depend on whether it would cost more to do trade with the US with the increase in tax in the long run then it would be to seek new trade deals with other nations. Perhaps it would be expensive to start with but if the cost is less over time then dealing with the US.
Not to mention that they might just do it out of anger to the claim that they are to pay for another nation's construction project.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:

That would depend on whether it would cost more to do trade with the US with the increase in tax in the long run then it would be to seek new trade deals with other nations. Perhaps it would be expensive to start with but if the cost is less over time then dealing with the US.

Not to mention that they might just do it out of anger to the claim that they are to pay for another nation's construction project.

Sure, but where would you replace 80% of your total export, After all, if the trade was there they would already export more to those countries, so it´s quite a effective tool against Mexico considering just how much they actually export to us.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

Well that's ironic...............shutting down the government over security and then having TSA agents call off to look for other work does NOT seem that secure to me. trump is an ass.

It's how you lower government expenses without firing anyone. :P

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Do you just string simple words together and hit enter? My god...we've already been over it being a tax, but rather it's a tax on the importer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Do you just string simple words together and hit enter? My god...we've already been over it being a tax, but rather it's a tax on the importer.

Try not to troll so hard, an obvious troll is just an obvious one.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Mexico is not paying for the shitty wall that most Americans do not want (or one that most republicans never cared for until Trump came along with his memes - it's all tribal). Bookmark this post.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Mexico is not paying for the shitty wall that most Americans do not want (or one that most republicans never cared for until Trump came along with his memes - it's all tribal). Bookmark this post.

Well, if the administration does not either tax the pretty decent amount being sent to Mexico each year than yes you are right they won´t

Trump is on his year before the election so this is his last chance.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17672 Posts

This fear-mongering, xenophobic, bigoted address to the nation tonight’s going to be highly entertaining.

“?25,000 terrorists are streaming across the border right now. Bad people. Bad people. Very bad. We need border security now, everyone says so, just ask them. ? Nobody knows more about immigration than me, ?your favorite president, believe me. A big, beautiful wall to make America great again! ??

Too bad networks won’t run it on a five minute delay to counter his complete and utter bullshit as it’s broadcasted. But I look forward to the dissection of Trump’s delusions post regardless.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 HoolaHoopMan

Funny running across a small snippet from Anthony Napolitano on how the declaration of emergency shouldn't be a viable solution for Trump (and probably unconstitutional).

“If that were not the case, then President Obama could have declared, ’It’s a national emergency, there isn’t enough health insurance around, we’re going to start paying for it.”

This is the same sentiment I shared recently in showing how dangerous future implications of this executive action could be if it were ultimately deemed constitutional. Could a president declare an emergency due to wealth disparity, as a means to implement tax reform with out Congress? Where would it end and what guidelines would exist to define what constitutes an emergency?

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 JimB

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I can tell you're not worried since you haven't taken the time to fully understand or interpret what debt/deficit/liabilities even are. You've simply used it as a means to win political points when you know fully well you won't incur the repercussions of it all.

I know what the debts are and they re going to come due. Most of you have your head buried in the sand. In 2027 the interest on the national debt will exceed military spending. That does not take in account Medicare and Social Security. With the new green deal we may gt there sooner.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Can't wait to see when people realize that the government is actually important for everyone's lives.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan: You don't even have to stretch it that far. A pandemic could be declared as an actual emergency for implementing universal coverage unilaterally. A deep recession could be used to enact stimulus measures with no congressional involvement.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 horgen  Moderator

@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:

I know what the debts are and they re going to come due. Most of you have your head buried in the sand. In 2027 the interest on the national debt will exceed military spending. That does not take in account Medicare and Social Security. With the new green deal we may gt there sooner.

2027 was calculated before Trump had his tax cuts and increased spending I believe.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 HoolaHoopMan

@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:

Jim, you've repeatedly claimed 211 trillion as total US debt (ignoring that you've previously mixed up deficit with debt), however you've never shown who owns said debt. I'll keep asking clarification every time you decide to pop up and misuse terms and basic math.

So go a head, show me how this 211 trillion is broken down.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

Trump is the best president the USA has had. I love how he said we should have more Norway immigration and a wall. I like how he just comes out and says the honest truth. He wants America great again.

If there were no Trump, I couldn't imagine what the US would be like in the future. Mostly illegal Mexicans, mostly welfare people, gang bangers driving around neighborhoods, etc. The country would just be a shithole. Trump know the truth. That's why he wants America great again.

I don't think most people understand this fully. Either America becomes great again like Trump described, or the country becomes a shithole in the future. It's that simple. Go to Sweden, then go to Tijuana, to see the difference. Democrats want millions of foreigners to flood in here and take what's left of this country. Trump wants the country great again.

Like I said... I don't think most people understand. It's either great again or nothing. Not just America, but humanity would be screwed without Trump. Without Trump, there would be no white man around in the future to run things, produce food, give welfare, etc. It would just be a shithole. The whole world would be a third-world shithole. Third-worlders can't feed themselves, so they'd just starve.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 JimB

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:

Jim, you've repeatedly claimed 211 trillion as total US debt (ignoring that you've previously mixed up deficit with debt), however you've never shown who owns said debt. I'll keep asking clarification every time you decide to pop up and misuse terms and basic math.

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139027615/a-national-debt-of-14-trillion-try-211-trillion

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@qx0d said:

Trump is the best president the USA has had. I love how he said we should have more Norway immigration and a wall. I like how he just comes out and says the honest truth. He wants America great again.

If there were no Trump, I couldn't imagine what the US would be like in the future. Mostly illegal Mexicans, mostly welfare people, gang bangers driving around neighborhoods, etc. The country would just be a shithole. Trump know the truth. That's why he wants America great again.

I don't think most people understand this fully. Either America becomes great again like Trump described, or the country becomes a shithole in the future. It's that simple. Go to Sweden, then go to Tijuana, to see the difference. Democrats want millions of foreigners to flood in here and take what's left of this country. Trump wants the country great again.

Like I said... I don't think most people understand. It's either great again or nothing. Not just America, but humanity would be screwed without Trump. Without Trump, there would be no white man around in the future to run things, produce food, give welfare, etc. It would just be a shithole. The whole world would be a third-world shithole. Third-worlders can't feed themselves, so they'd just starve.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

You know the funny part is both parties are literally arguing over .11% of the total federal spending. This amount is just a like a dime to our own personal budgets that is how ridiculous this is! If democrats think the wall will not work let him build it and prove it. It will only help them later on the next election.

I can't believe we have a governmental shutdown over such a little amount of money in the grand scheme of the total budget.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mattbbpl

I am loving all of the "5.6 billion dollars is nothing!" posts. I'm mentally bookmarking them for the future.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I am loving all of the "5.6 billion dollars is nothing!" posts. I'm mentally bookmarking them for the future.

Well to end this shutdown .11% of total federal spending is pretty much nothing to end this crap. Not a fan of Trump and didn't vote for him, but shit just end this crap already. Both sides (republicans and democrats) are a total damn joke anymore.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17672 Posts
@Xabiss said:

You know the funny part is both parties are literally arguing over .11% of the total federal spending. This amount is just a like a dime to our own personal budgets that is how ridiculous this is! If democrats think the wall will not work let him build it and prove it. It will only help them later on the next election.

I can't believe we have a governmental shutdown over such a little amount of money in the grand scheme of the total budget.

This isn't about the cost (as I agree with you it's peanuts), and it isn't really about national security either. That's the narrative fed to the public to get them invested as it's framed in a manner that will impact their personal lives. But let's be real: that is nothing but manipulating the masses to back either party, as this is all about Republicans vs. Democrats. Not the border.

What's happening now is a fight for control after power dynamics have shifted with Democrats taking the House. This is the first time this shift is being tested. The Republicans don't wish to set precedent that they are conceding any control. Their stand and wish for success is not to say "We need national security", it's to say, "You just won the House? You honestly think you hold any influence now and can affect our agendas? We'll show you". That's why Republicans won't budge to help (with Trump I think it's more to do with his ego), as to do so is to make a symbolic gesture that they are legitimizing this shift in power that just happened and admitting that Democrats will be part of the playing field henceforth. And Democrats won't back down because this is their foot in the door to regain some semblance of control, and to back down will only embolden Republicans if they are shut down and made to look irrelevant and ineffective by being bullied. The wall is simply a pretense for this fight to take place, and it's going to go on for a long time until either public response makes such a standoff untenable, things such as economic or political ramifications become a concern, or a compromise is made that saves face on both sides of the aisle.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 horgen  Moderator

@qx0d: Why on earth would Norwegians immigrate to US? It would be like a US citizen immigrating to Mexico :P

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#90 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

So am I. I mean, I can think of so many better ways to spend 5.6 billion dollars (Infrastructure, medicare, public aid, etc.) than on a project that will end up costing tax payers much, much more in the long haul while only yielding minimal results. If it really is nothing, then perhaps those who feel that way and those who really want the wall can band together to fund its creation and take care of its upkeep costs.....

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@Xabiss: sorry but the isue here is trump. Je made it an issue. Before new year the republican lead congress wanted to pass a new spending bill and trump vetoed it wanting the wall or else. The republicans lead to the democratic lead house that still will not give him a wall but are willing to up boarder security with plans proposed by law enforcement covering the boarder. But still he will not move on this and mcconnell Will not let any democratic bill come to vote that trump wil not sign even though we can over rule the president with a vote.

This is all trump's fault.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dreman999

@qx0d: is this real life?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mattbbpl

@dreman999: Can't be. That has to be trolling.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 dreman999

@mattbbpl: not it a weapon to surpass trolling gear.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 HoolaHoopMan

@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139027615/a-national-debt-of-14-trillion-try-211-trillion

Oh look, its the same guy being cited as before. You're a broken record Jim. Future liabilities, extended to FOREVER, are not debt. You can't keep citing the same guy being quoted in different magazine or outlets.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 qx0d

@horgen said:

@qx0d: Why on earth would Norwegians immigrate to US? It would be like a US citizen immigrating to Mexico :P

Gee I wonder why.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 JimB

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Oh look, its the same guy being cited as before. You're a broken record Jim. Future liabilities, extended to FOREVER, are not debt. You can't keep citing the same guy being quoted in different magazine or outlets.

The facts don't change.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 HoolaHoopMan

@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@JimB said:

The facts don't change.

'Facts'

Still have to show me who owns this debt. If 211 trillion exists on the books then somebody owns it. So show me the money.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@qx0d said:

Wow, I didn't know Trump had a Gamespot account.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 qx0d
@dreman999 said:

@qx0d: is this real life?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/76344744/a-world-without-whites.jpg