mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

I'm watching Fox News in my office cafeteria over a late lunch, and Trump is in the process of confirming that he's prepared to keep the government shut down "for months or years" until his border wall funding is approved.

He's probably bluffing, but who knows. This also further gives up a bit of leverage in the negotiations by reaccepting responsibility for the shutdown.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mattbbpl

To his credit, he just now acknowledged one of the least discussed issues with a wall - he will have to seize some peoples' land via eminent domain in order to build it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I'm watching Fox News in my office cafeteria over a late lunch, and Trump is in the process of confirming that he's prepared to keep the government shut down "for months or years" until his border wall funding is approved.

He's probably bluffing, but who knows. This also further gives up a bit of leverage in the negotiations by reaccepting responsibility for the shutdown.

He wrote "Art of the Deal" Matt, he wrote it!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Wow... I wonder when people will get heavily affected by it if lasts for months.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105

@horgen: Well, statistics say that 40% of Americans can't cover an emergency $400 expense. I'd guess quite a few can't deal with going without pay for months.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@Serraph105: That's not a few. That's like almost half of America.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

5 billion for the wall is a rounding error in the budget. This all seems like a con.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:

@horgen: Well, statistics say that 40% of Americans can't cover an emergency $400 expense. I'd guess quite a few can't deal with going without pay for months.

I am aware of that. I was rather thinking about the functions that are more or less gutted while this continues. If this continue another month or two. How many americans will be affected by that?

Essentially how many uses the functions that are no longer provided.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105

@watercrack445 said:

@Serraph105: That's not a few. That's like almost half of America.

True, but I'm guessing that they don't all work in the public sector so what percentage of the people currently furloughed or working for free and expecting backpay is who's really in question.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105

@horgen said:
@Serraph105 said:

I am aware of that. I was rather thinking about the functions that are more or less gutted while this continues. If this continue another month or two. How many americans will be affected by that?

Ah! I have no idea on that one. I do know that these shutdowns don't tend to have much in the way of political consequences sooooo, perhaps the answer is, "Not enough" or "Not a ton".

Ultimately though, I just don't know.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:
@horgen said:
@Serraph105 said:

Ah! I have no idea on that one. I do know that these shutdowns don't tend to have much in the way of political consequences sooooo, perhaps the answer is, "Not enough" or "Not a ton".

Ultimately though, I just don't know.

I guess if it doesn't have much to say in terms of political consequences, it is a good thing. Though it still sucks.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Well, one could ask how willing are the Democrats to hurt Americans to not make that wall happen.

But Trump will hopefully go the distance and get the wall funded and not give into the Democrats scare tactics

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Serraph105

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Well, one could ask how willing are the Democrats to hurt Americans to not make that wall happen.

But Trump will hopefully go the distance and get the wall funded and not give into the Democrats scare tactics

Democrats and Republicans in congress were not the ones who threw a tantrum that, as you say, is hurting Americans. They're actually the ones who put a bill on Trump's desk to prevent that from happening.

Also, I want Trump to keep his promise to make Mexico pay for the wall. So far he has only put forth plans to make Americans pay for it. He's not "going the distance" by forcing it on the American taxpayer, he's only reneging on a promise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Here is what is going to happen:

1. Government shutdown will result in pay being furloughed or whatever they call it. In short, people won't get payed

2. Shutdown will go on for months, but no one in the government will think to save all this money not being spent on salaries for the salaries they will inevitably have to pay back.

3. One way or another, the shutdown will end.

4. Government will realize they owe ___ months of backpay to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of public employees across the nation and world, and won't have the money.

5 . ????

6. Profit

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@horgen said:

Wow... I wonder when people will get heavily affected by it if lasts for months.

when people realize they wont get their tax refunds

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Trump's a moron who is willing to hurt Americans so that he doesn't look bad. The wall is a stupid idea and the people that want the wall are stupid. It's basically throwing money at stupidity.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

@drlostrib said:
@horgen said:

Just read that elsewhere. Damn. I think that will end it quickly.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HoolaHoopMan

@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Democrats and Republicans in congress were not the ones who threw a tantrum that, as you say, is hurting Americans. They're actually the ones who put a bill on Trump's desk to prevent that from happening.

Also, I want Trump to keep his promise to make Mexico pay for the wall. So far he has only put forth plans to make Americans pay for it. He's not "going the distance" by forcing it on the American taxpayer, he's only reneging on a promise.

I'd also like to point out that Trump was given a continuing resolution to sign but he didn't. Both chambers gave him something to fund the government and he said NO. He is 100% responsible for the current situation.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

We need the 25th amendment asap cause trump is starting to lose it

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: 100% agree. This is fully on Trump.

This is fascinating to watch.

On the one hand, we’ve Trump whose fighting for this solely on the basis of ego. This is about him, not policy, which makes this all the worse as any conviction within Trump that’s based around his ego is going to be far more difficult to defeat than something he backs on ideological principle. He’s not a man of principle. This is very personal to him. He fails at this, he fails as a man of his word.

On the other, you have the Democrats who aren’t going to budge because to do so would set precedent and send a dangerous message to Trump: that he can succeed by holding the government hostage. They bend on this, there’s no end to what Trump will try.

The majority of Americans are against Trump on this, so the more he drags this out, the more this will hurt him politically. I’m sure his base is loving it though. Do it for months or years Trump, and watch your electoral prospects plummet. I hope the democrats don’t budge.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@horgen said:

At least you will get interest on the Tax Refund if they don't pay it after 45 days right?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl

Sweet! He's now threatening to use emergency powers to build the wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/trump-border-wall-national-emergency-declaration/index.html

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Will your government reopen before we leave the European Union?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HoolaHoopMan

@MirkoS77 said:

@HoolaHoopMan: 100% agree. This is fully on Trump.

On the other, you have the Democrats who aren’t going to budge because to do so would set precedent and send a dangerous message to Trump: that he can succeed by holding the government hostage. They bend on this, there’s no end to what Trump will try.

I think this is the sticking point of why they need to stay resolute (for now). He had something to sign, both chambers passed it, he said no. He's willing to turn this into a shutdown and has been on the record saying he doesn't care.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:

Sweet! He's now threatening to use emergency powers to build the wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/trump-border-wall-national-emergency-declaration/index.html

Can the next democratic president use the current state of our healthcare system to 'declare an emergency' so that we could fund a single payer option through wartime funds?

This is like the episode of the Office where Michael doesn't understand the concept of declaring bankruptcy and thinks he can simply yell it out loud, thereby releasing and absolving him of his financial debt and obligations.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Months or years of more winning ahead.

Ha ha. This is a real life modern equivalent to the 'Nero fiddling while Rome burned' story.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

But...wasn't Mexico supposed to pay for the wall?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Yes, and they can still get to pay for it.

Once it´s built.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Once it´s built.

That's adorable.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Jacanuk: That's pretty cute. You know damn well Mexico isn't going to pay for our wall.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:

Once it´s built.

Oh really, and how is that going to happen!?!? lol

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

I'd just like to just post a threadly reminder that Trump is on record saying that the president should be fired for government shutdowns.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Once it´s built.

Hahahaha......thanks for the laugh. I did not know you did comedy...........

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

5 billion would only cover a fraction of the wall, maybe upgraded fencing.

Just take the 5 billion we give to Israel's wall.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Just build the damn wall already. It will create tons of jobs and people will get paid.

Then when the liberals become president in 2024 or later, they can tear it down then and high five each other.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

GOOD!!!! The longer the commie government is out of business, the less commie benefits are going out to the corporate snakes they are in bed with. Shut down the government permanently. I've never seen a bigger commie snake than the US government and the courts who day in and day out figure out new ways to screw over the free market like the commies they are.

I also agree with trump for the most part on this wall. I don't really think it will be so affective, but it will serve as a symbol, a deterrent. Put the wall up. I think the reason for the illegals are due to the mother Fu***ER politicians in the first place. If they legalized and regulated all drugs then there wouldn't be so many illegals because these South American countries wouldn't be such sht holes in the first place. But here we are, and the drug laws sure as hell aren't gioing to change as long as we have these fox news loving decrepit old bast**ds.

With all that said, $20 billion for a wall is chump change. I'd rather trump not get his money so the government stays shut down, but if he ever does, 20 billion is a rounding error compared to the nearly trillion spent on the f-35 program.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: China, Russia and USA. Wow, three commie nations battling each other for world domination. Trump in this picture is the dumb commie while Putin is the smart one. He is playing both nations while the other two ruin each other through the trade war.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I don't really mind what happens, I just want the government open again. I feel very bad for those who I know personally who are affected by this shutdown.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Americans are split on their feelings toward building a wall along the U.S.–Mexico border, according to a new Hill-HarrisX survey.

Thirty-four percent said a border wall was "the best path for making America safer at its borders," while 31 percent said it was "totally unnecessary and not worth the expense."

Thirty-five percent of respondents said they believed that Americans need border security, but there are "better options" for securing the border.

So roughly 2:1.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Trump's a moron who is willing to hurt Americans so that he doesn't look bad. The wall is a stupid idea and the people that want the wall are stupid. It's basically throwing money at stupidity.

For what the tax payers pay for illegal immigrants it is a bargain. Using the figures spent on illegal immigrants to can be any where from 8 walls to 75 walls being built by the money spent on illegals.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

"Yes, and they can still get to pay for it.

Once it´s built." -Jacanuk

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Mexico won’t even pay for their own shit.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@JimB said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

For what the tax payers pay for illegal immigrants it is a bargain. Using the figures spent on illegal immigrants to can be any where from 8 walls to 75 walls being built by the money spent on illegals.

Are you sure it wasn't 211 trillion, so that we could build a gazillion walls instead?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan: But he was only off by 1... 2... 3 zeroes. That's a lot of damn zeroes!

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:

@HoolaHoopMan: But he was only off by 1... 2... 3 zeroes. That's a lot of damn zeroes!

Oh man, if he's mad about what the average tax payer has to pay for every illegal in this country, just wait until he sees how much an ordinary citizen costs us!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:

Americans are split on their feelings toward building a wall along the U.S.–Mexico border, according to a new Hill-HarrisX survey.

Thirty-four percent said a border wall was "the best path for making America safer at its borders," while 31 percent said it was "totally unnecessary and not worth the expense."

Thirty-five percent of respondents said they believed that Americans need border security, but there are "better options" for securing the border.

So roughly 2:1.

This is roughly as accurate as someone saying Warren is native American.

You cannot take the 34% who did not say they are against the wall but for something "better" as being against the wall.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Jacanuk: agreed. I'm not that strongly for the wall but it's not really a bad thing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

As for as this shutdown goes, I'm guessing this goes into February 2019. Trump knows (or at least people around him know) that if he caves on this, he'll likely kills his chances at re-election. But eventually the public pressure becomes enough that he'll cave anyway.