Thoughts on the documentary "Hillary's America"?

• 182 results
JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Just watched it last night on Amazon. So many things I didn't know about the democratic party. Still unsure how racism, specifically the KKK is somehow perceived as a Republican thing. Or how the democratic party had a black president. Andrew Jackson must have been rolling in his grave over that! Democrats were the only ones that owned slaves also. May need to fact check it, but it seemed legit. A real eye opener documentary. Any thoughts on it if you've seen it?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Times change. Many Democrats have disowned the KKK, so I wouldn't use the fact that they had a hand in founding it after the Civil War be something I would use against them today. But at the same time, the whole party switch thing is a pretty cheap way to get out of being blamed, rather than owning it and saying they are for equal rights now.

I may take a look at the documentary later and give my opinion on it, but as for the initial post itself, I would not try to bring up racism from before anyone here was born as a reason they must still be like that.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JoshRMeyer

@ad1x2: True. I'm sure it's changed. Just odd how my view has changed also. One thing that stuck out in my head was how Democrats are using Intercity housing as modern plantations, which even Obama specifically called them. I'm not trying to get in any political fight here. I was either sleeping while this was being taught in school, or maybe it never was. I'd love to see if anyone else's perception has changed after watching this though. Looking forward to your thoughts.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

Just watched it last night on Amazon. So many things I didn't know about the democratic party. Still unsure how racism, specifically the KKK is somehow perceived as a Republican thing. Or how the democratic party had a black president. Andrew Jackson must have been rolling in his grave over that! Democrats were the only ones that owned slaves also. May need to fact check it, but it seemed legit. A real eye opener documentary. Any thoughts on it if you've seen it?

you just now learning about american history and how democrats where the conservative party at one time?

wow!

the most progressive president in history of a republican. because at the time, republicans were progresssive

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

You didn't know the parties switched ideologies? Seriously?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@ad1x2: True. I'm sure it's changed. Just odd how my view has changed also. One thing that stuck out in my head was how Democrats are using Intercity housing as modern plantations, which even Obama specifically called them. I'm not trying to get in any political fight here. I was either sleeping while this was being taught in school, or maybe it never was. I'd love to see if anyone else's perception has changed after watching this though. Looking forward to your thoughts.

ok I will give some background here.

The democratic party used to be the conservatives, Republicans used to be liberal.

In fact, Roosevelt joining the democratic party was a big deal.

Racism existed in both parties and all aspects of culture very strongly even today.

If you drive into most cities today and nearly all cities just 20 years ago you will see strong 'concrete' evidence of massive 'white flight'. you do not get 'white flight' at the level that completely distroys inner city without there being racism in all parties. many people who think themselves not racist, are racist.

however, I think its unfair to suggest Hillary was on a rhetoric of racism.

The dangerous tactic (only for themselves) that the Right is making by trying to 'flip' the debate is that it will eventually put them on the side of defending the very thing they are trying to attack while at the same time, just acknowledging that their positions are not acceptable.

basically the 'they are racists too which is why its ok for me to be racist' is going to backfire on them long term

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Of course the Republican's never owned slaves. Their party was founded on a platform of anti-slavery.

But how does that change the fact that many modern Republicans, both in politics and people who support the party, are misogynistic bigots who think anyone who doesn't agree with them deserves to be shot?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

You're going to hear this a lot, but things change.

Sometimes, democrats are socially conservative. Republicans used to be rational. Bipartisan lawmaking was a thing and is not any more, but can be again.

I mean, let's look at the past 20 years; do you really think the Republican party is the same as it was during the W. Bush era? And the democratic party the same as it was during Bill Clinton's tenure? Now extrapolate that all the way back to the beginning years of our country.

So if you want to judge the party from shit that happened multiple generations ago, that'd be a mistake. It's almost like you're looking for a reason to dislike democrats, and will take any reason you get, no matter how petty.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TryIt

@foxhound_fox said:

Of course the Republican's never owned slaves. Their party was founded on a platform of anti-slavery.

But how does that change the fact that many modern Republicans, both in politics and people who support the party, are misogynistic bigots who think anyone who doesn't agree with them deserves to be shot?

exactly 'hey the other side is racist too' tactic is going to backfire on them and bite them in the ass. so many great ways to counter that.

they should stick with explaining how their tactics are not racist, rather than basically acknowledging that there position is racist by calling the other side racist

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: The documentary said less than 1% switched. Well it also got me thinking, living in the south, why it's dominated by Republicans and also the majority of where blacks live. If Republicans are now known as the racist party, why so many black Republicans? Also, did you watch the documentary?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: The documentary said less than 1% switched. Well it also hot me thinking, living in the south, why it's dominated by Republicans and also the majority of where blacks live. If Republicans are now known as the racist party, why so many black Republicans? Also, did you watch the documentary?

The party ideologies changed. Nothing to do with the actual people percentage.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: Never really cared about politics until Trump ran for president. I hate politicians. And nope, I didn't know the background of the democratic party. If they both really did do a 180 in their views, that's really hard to believe. Have you watched the documentary? I was hoping just people that watched it or planned to, would comment, since that's what this threads about. If you haven't, I'd love to hear what you think afterwards. It's not all about the past either. Dabbles into present(as of 2016) also.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: Never really cared about politics until Trump ran for president. I hate politicians. And nope, I didn't know the background of the democratic party. If they both really did do a 180 in their views, that's really hard to believe. Have you watched the documentary? I was hoping just people that watched it or planned to, would comment, since that's what this threads about. If you haven't, I'd love to hear what you think afterwards. It's not all about the past either. Dabbles into present(as of 2016) also.

its a film that it going to backfire

'the other side is racist too' doesnt help the right in the least, in fact it hurts them

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: Are you sure they changed, or are they just being more sly about it? I'm not doubting you, as you seem to know way more about this stuff than me. Just seems odd that both would do a 180. Either way, I'm not ashamed to admit I learned a lot about the past parties off that video. I know you hate Trump, but if he's done one thing, at least for me, is made me interested in politics a bit now. It's crazy we live in a country that has polar opposite views on things and are at each other's throats constantly. I'm finding it more interesting to also see the pros and cons of each party.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

It's tripe. An apt comparison to something that you would probably agree is tripe: Anything by Michael Moore.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Didn’t know you were an SJW.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

No, I don't watch propaganda from Dinesh D'Souza, the crook that Trump just pardoned. Most of what you watched is bullshit plain and simple.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HoolaHoopMan

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: The documentary said less than 1% switched.

It's a documentary in the same light that 9/11 conspiracy videos are.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JoshRMeyer

@HoolaHoopMan: I've watched every 9/11 conspiracy video and this was nothing like it. It's all history and facts. Maybe you could argue the last 5 minutes were conspiracy.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

If you take every political video you watch at face value, then I have bad news for you.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer

@HoolaHoopMan: Maybe you should watch the video before commenting. The video explains why he served the 8 months he was sentenced. This was made in 2016 before Trump was president. Not sure what the pardon was for, if he was pardoned. But it certainly had nothing to do with this video.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JoshRMeyer

@mattbbpl: I'm sure a lot of it was dramatized, but facts are facts right? The ending was mostly opinion though. Still shed some light on what the democratic party was, even if it changed now(supposively).

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer

@foxhound_fox: Doesn't that go both ways? I'm not sure how that was about the documentary. What you mentioned has nothing to do with a particular party. So far, I don't think one person that has commented has actually watched the video. :(

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: I'm not seeing where Republicans are being racist though? Go back when this video was made(2016). Were Republicans acting racist? I know there are racist on both sides and everywhere. It just seems like all I see on the news is Republicans being the bad, racist, bigots, etc etc guys. Of course, I usually only watch CNN, which is probably why lol. Before anyone says anything, I like CNN as far as reporting goes. I hate when they start literally crying and putting their own opinion on matters unless it's a discussion where that's appropriate. I won't watch Fox news, ever.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: Are you sure they changed, or are they just being more sly about it? I'm not doubting you, as you seem to know way more about this stuff than me. Just seems odd that both would do a 180. Either way, I'm not ashamed to admit I learned a lot about the past parties off that video. I know you hate Trump, but if he's done one thing, at least for me, is made me interested in politics a bit now. It's crazy we live in a country that has polar opposite views on things and are at each other's throats constantly. I'm finding it more interesting to also see the pros and cons of each party.

Hate? I find him to be a danger to the US. THAT is what concerns me. The country. Not an individual.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

pretty sure that kind of crap is not where you should be learning US history

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer

@drlostrib: Lol I know... I must of slept through that class. I'm kinda afraid I'm not the only one. A lot of my views of each party were based off the media. I'll be the first to admit I know very little about American past besides the common stuff. It really was never something that interested me. What is starting to interest me is people's recent disdain toward the other "side". I haven't seen anything really change with any president in my lifetime(37). So I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Trump is Trump... I feel like people are making way too big of a deal about him and some other minor things that really do need to be fixed(healthcare mostly).

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@joshrmeyer said:

@HoolaHoopMan: I've watched every 9/11 conspiracy video and this was nothing like it. It's all history and facts. Maybe you could argue the last 5 minutes were conspiracy.

It's not 'all history and facts'. D'Souza has a history of lying and perpetuating falsehoods. Perhaps you need to better fret your sources and learn not to take everything at face value. I don't have 2 hours of my time to waste on D'Souza unfortunately. He's well known in the political realm of being a swarmy conspiracy theorist.

Maybe the 4% on rotten tomatoes or the half dozen Razzy awards would have been an indicator.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: I see... Well that's understandable I guess... I find him funny... I honestly don't think anyone takes him seriously. I'm just glad he's not another politician. I personally think the country will be fine... Maybe better. Wake up call perhaps.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DrLostRib
@joshrmeyer said:

@drlostrib: Lol I know... I must of slept through that class. I'm kinda afraid I'm not the only one. A lot of my views of each party were based off the media. I'll be the first to admit I know very little about American past besides the common stuff. It really was never something that interested me. What is starting to interest me is people's recent disdain toward the other "side". I haven't seen anything really change with any president in my lifetime(37). So I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Trump is Trump... I feel like people are making way too big of a deal about him and some other minor things that really do need to be fixed(healthcare mostly).

then you really should pay better attention

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshRMeyer

@drlostrib: Does he really have that much power? If this was Russia, I'd maybe be scared. Also still trying to figure out why he was even a candidate, or moreso how he actually won? I know people want change... Well, here it is I guess lol. I am paying attention now. I've actually seem more going on now then ever before, for good or bad(don't know how things will turn out... And probably seen more since I'm paying attention now ?)

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DrLostRib
@joshrmeyer said:

@drlostrib: Does he really have that much power? If this was Russia, I'd maybe be scared. Also still trying to figure out why he was even a candidate, or moreso how he actually won? I know people want change... Well, here it is I guess lol. I am paying attention now. I've actually seem more going on now then ever before, for good or bad(don't know how things will turn out... And probably seen more since I'm paying attention now ?)

He is not the change a lot of people wanted. And by the way he talks, it seems he does want to have "that much power". But the President still wields a lot of power

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JoshRMeyer

@HoolaHoopMan: Ok then... Hard to imagine that all made up, but maybe some bias thrown in or stuff left out.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JoshRMeyer

@drlostrib: Might not be... I'm not sure what people were wanting other than someone who's not a politician. Seems they got a liar either way lol. He thinks he has a lot of power, but I'm sure there are people/parties always prepared for the worse. All I've seen so far from him as far as using his power, is pardoning people. And the Syria bombing, which didn't seem like much to talk about. Anyways, this thread was about what people thought of that video... And so far I think I'm the only one that's watched it, which is fine lol

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: I'm not seeing where Republicans are being racist though? ..

I am not suggesting that they are (I personally believe they are but that is not what I am saying) what I am saying is the they need to argue on how they are not racist INSTEAD OF spending time saying the other side is racist. because doing the latter 1. doesn't address the question of them being called racist 2. just implicitly suggests that they agree that they are. 3. doesnt put them on a higher ground 4. just makes them mean and spiteful just as much as democrats

its the classic 'oh yeah your mom is ugly too' without addressing the claim of your mom being ugly.

its diversion tactic because they havent been able to effectively argue that they are not racist.

this quote is not easy to get away from:

'They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

stats do not remotely come close to backing up that claim that (implicitly) most of them are bring drugs, crime and rape

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I don't get why people feel like going back to the beliefs of a president nearly 200 years ago makes a legit point about the parties of today. It's like when republicans say they're the *real* party of equality and civil rights because Lincoln ended slavery and he was a republican. There's been a **** ton of history between then and now.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JoshRMeyer

@Serraph105: Do you really have to go back that far though? And do you really think Democrats did a 180 in their views? Slavery is talked about all the time still, like the current gen has any responsibility in that. I just find it odd that someone can say they are a proud Democrat but ignore the last 200 years. FYI, I've never claimed to be either and probably never will. Trying to figure out why Republicans are the ones being called racist, homophobes, bigots, etc etc. I know both parties do and say whatever they have to in order to get votes. I found the video enlightening, as I know both sides have their own sly strategies. If anyone can point me to one about the Republican party, I'd like to watch it... Amazon or Netflix.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: "'They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."". Was this really about a race though? Wasn't he referring to illegal immigrants?(Which, yes were coming across the Mexican border(doesn't mean all Mexicans are that, nor is that a race)). Explain how the southern states, made up of the majority of black population, many most likely coming from ancestors of slavery, vote Republican? Wouldn't that not want to be associated with that party if it were racist? How many KKK members voted republican before David Duke? Who conveniently switched to Republican from Democrat around when Obama was elected. Like I said, both sides have their racist. It just amazes me that for some reason no one can say, Republicans are now the racist group. Focus on illegal immigration (keyword illegal) should be something both parties want to crack down on. And I think Obama was, so it's nothing new besides actually enforcing the law made previously. Also kind of curious what makes someone so strongly believe in one party over another?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DrLostRib
@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: "'They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."". Was this really about a race though? Wasn't he referring to illegal immigrants?(Which, yes were coming across the Mexican border(doesn't mean all Mexicans are that, nor is that a race)). Explain how the southern states, made up of the majority of black population, many most likely coming from ancestors of slavery, vote Republican? Wouldn't that not want to be associated with that party if it were racist? How many KKK members voted republican before David Duke? Who conveniently switched to Republican from Democrat around when Obama was elected. Like I said, both sides have their racist. It just amazes me that for some reason no one can say, Republicans are now the racist group. Focus on illegal immigration (keyword illegal) should be something both parties want to crack down on. And I think Obama was, so it's nothing new besides actually enforcing the law made previously. Also kind of curious what makes someone so strongly believe in one party over another?

What? Is this some trolling or something?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@drlostrib: Maybe I'm wrong, but where do the vast majority of the black population live? Always seemed like the south to me.(look at Atlanta GA, Louisiana, Mississippi) Aren't those always red States? I thought so but maybe not. And David Duke did switch from Democrat to Republican... Might not have had anything to do with Obama but it was around that time. (I looked at Wikipedia wondering who the current leader of KKK was a Dem or Republican.) Didn't list who the current one is. Your short responses are more trolling than anything I'm doing. If I'm wrong, then tell me. If you aren't sure, then don't call me a troll.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JoshRMeyer

@drlostrib: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DrLostRib
@joshrmeyer said:

@drlostrib: Maybe I'm wrong, but where do the vast majority of the black population live? Always seemed like the south to mean.(look at Atlanta, GA, Louisiana, Mississippi) Aren't those always red States? I thought so but maybe not. And David Duke did switch from Democrat to Republican... Might not have had anything to do with Obama but it was around that time. (I looked at Wikipedia wondering who the current leader of KKK was a Dem or Republican.) Didn't list who the current one is. Your short responses are more trolling than anything I'm doing. If I'm wrong, then tell me. If you aren't sure, then don't call me a troll.

It's just hard to believe that there's are serious questions.

Go look up US demographics, it should answer your question

I'd rather not google much on David Duke, but a quick look at his wikipedia page says he was a Democrat from 1975-1988 and a Republican from 1989-1999;2016-present.

So i really don't know what you're getting at

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrLostRib
@joshrmeyer said:

@drlostrib: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

and your point?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#44 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@joshrmeyer said:

You didn't know the parties switched ideologies? Seriously?

To be fair, neither do other conservatives.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JoshRMeyer

@drlostrib: Oh yeah, I misread that David Duke thing. My point is moot now... Just looked it up and 88% black voted for Clinton lol. Amazes me that in those 3 states I mentioned, where a third of the population is black, are red States. So, yeah, I don't really have a point... See, this is why I try to just stick on subject of the video ???

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

Careful, Fox. They'll call 'fake news' and try to hide evidence of either GOP supporters saying such things (Ted Nugent) or doing such things (Charlottesville).

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TryIt
@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: "'They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."". Was this really about a race though? ...

yes

would you like some more quotes? do you think I can find some racist quotes from the Right? lets find out shall we?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@tryit: What race is it?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TryIt
@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: What race is it?

I will take that as a yes you do want more

When Trump addressed the Republican Jewish Coalition in December 2015, he called himself “a negotiator like you folks,” which many people said brought up Jewish stereotypes

let me know if you would like more, we also have some goodies from other people like Steve Bannon and friends

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: His grandkids, and daughter are Jewish I believe. I highly doubt he meant something bad by that comment. Again, about the border protection, I've asked you 3 times now what race are you referring to? Is illegal immigrants a race? Are people from Mexico a race? Are Americans a race? The only group of people he was referring to was illegal immigrants, which isn't racist.