Texas mayor tells residents to fend for themselves during power outage:Only the strong will survive

• 136 results
Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Colorado City, Tex., Mayor Tim Boyd resigns after controversial Facebook post criticizing Texans without power - The Washington Post

Texas mayor tells residents to fend for themselves during power outage: ‘Only the strong will survive’

“No one owes you [or] your family anything,” Tim Boyd wrote on Tuesday in a now-deleted Facebook post, according to KTXS and KTAB/KRBC. “I’m sick and tired of people looking for a damn handout!” Boyd’s tirade, which also demanded that “lazy” residents find their own ways of procuring water and electricity, immediately drew backlash.

WTF Is wrong with these people? I'm guessing he was a Republican?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

So are we ready to discuss the TX power situation now? I'm afraid it will end up a complete cluster, but it would be fun :-p

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

This is gonna be good because he later made a lousy apologizing it.

All, I have set back and watched all this escalating and have tried to keep my mouth shut! I won’t deny for one minute what I said in my post this morning. Believe me when I say that many of the things I said were taken out of context and some of which were said without putting much thought in to it.I would never want to hurt the elderly or anyone that is in true need of help to be left to fend for themselves. I was only making the statement that those folks that are too lazy to get up and fend for themselves but are capable should not be dealt a handout. I apologize for the wording and some of the phrases that were used! I had already turned in my resignation and had not signed up to run for mayor again on the deadline that was February 12th! I spoke some of this out of the anger that the city and county was catching for situations which were out of their control. Please understand if I had it to do over again I would have just kept my words to myself and if I did say them I would have used better wording and been more descriptive.

The anger and harassment you have caused my wife and family is so undeserved....my wife was laid off of her job based off the association people gave to her and the business she worked for. She’s a very good person and was only defending me! But her to have to get fired from her job over things I said out of context is so horrible. I admit, there are things that are said all the time that I don’t agree with; but I would never harass you or your family to the point that they would lose there livelihood such as a form of income.

I ask that you each understand I never meant to speak for the city of Colorado City or Mitchell county! I was speaking as a citizen as I am NOT THE MAYOR anymore. I apologize for the wording and ask that you please not harass myself or my family anymore!

Threatening our lives with comments and messages is a horrible thing to have to wonder about. I won’t share any of those messages from those names as I feel they know who they are and hope after they see this they will retract the hateful things they have said!

Thank you

Tim Boyd(citizen)

None of it was out of context:

• Dude can't write.
  • His wife defended him and got fired for it.
  • He doesn't apologize for saying it, he's apologizing for not making it look good.

And screw his feelings. He certainly didn't care when he raged at the unfortunate and "lazy." How twisted does someone's thinking have to be to come up with this crap? People are paying for a service. If this service is not forthcoming, then it is the responsibility of the provider to make up the shortfall.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Cancel culture at it yet again!

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HoolaHoopMan

It's great seeing all of these Texas politicians eat their past words. A failed privatized electrical grid cut off from the rest of the nation. I guess no one wants to talk secession when they need federal help.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

Unfortunately, Texas has its own power grid to avoid federal power regulations.

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/08/texplainer-why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/?utm_source=articleshare&utm_medium=social&s=09

This allowed them to avoid regulations such as plant winterization. This means that outside of some historical short term situations (and certain areas near Texas borders), Texas cannot receive power from other states to compensate for their own grid/infrastructure shortfalls.

The lack of regulations led to their plant failures, and the method they used to avoid those failures led to them being unable to receive grid compensation. This was a political choice, and for their politicians to now be saying, "tough," would be enraging as a citizen of the state.

They made it solely their power and ability to provide electricity to their constituents as a conscious choice. Provide it or GTFO.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mattbbpl: This is also a gas power failure (or was it fossil?) yet windpower which only gives 10% (or 20%) of the power is singled out as a failure...

Lovely of Texas to ask for federal funding while making a bill about leaving hte union.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@horgen said:

@mattbbpl: This is also a gas power failure (or was it fossil?) yet windpower which only gives 10% (or 20%) of the power is singled out as a failure...

Lovely of Texas to ask for federal funding while making a bill about leaving hte union.

Yeah they are blaming green energy but Texas is 80 - 90% fossil fuels. And the lack of winterization is the problem. Their fuel froze. But they lie anyway.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

Yeah they are blaming green energy but Texas is 80 - 90% fossil fuels. And the lack of winterization is the problem. Their fuel froze. But they lie anyway.

Oh and the new green deal as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

Yes and it hasn't happened yet. I guess they forget the Scandinavian countries are much colder than Texas.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

Yes and it hasn't happened yet. I guess they forget the Scandinavian countries are much colder than Texas.

Eh... What about Canada? :P

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zaryia

Conservatives Are Seriously Accusing Wind Turbines of Killing People in the Texas Blackouts | The New Republic

Oh lord.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl

@horgen: That's one of the great things about TX. It's a power mecca. It has lots of it from lots of different sources. Instead of touting that as a strength, its leaders are lamenting the fact that Democrats have controlled the state since the 80s and made them overly reliant on wind.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Eh... What about Canada? :P

That as well but I'm not sure how much they rely on alternative vs fossil.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Imagine how many threads would be dedicated to this if it were happening in California.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@judaspete said:

Imagine how many threads would be dedicated to this if it were happening in California.

Not sure how many threads but this one would be busier.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoolaHoopMan

@zaryia said:

Conservatives Are Seriously Accusing Wind Turbines of Killing People in the Texas Blackouts | The New Republic

Oh lord.

Ah, finally that deadly wind turbine cancer is rearing it's ugly head.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zaryia

Perry says Texans willing to suffer blackouts to keep feds out of power market (houstonchronicle.com)

Holy hell this party is out of touch.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl

@zaryia: Meanwhile, State Farm has both it's data centers down for multiple days and continuing because their two in TX and KY failed at the same time. If TX thinks this is a viable trade off, they're going to get some pushback in their IT sector.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@zaryia said:

Oh lord.

And here I though wind turbines cooled down the air to sub zero temperatures once the air passes them. How could I be so wrong?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl

@horgen said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@zaryia said:

Oh lord.

And here I though wind turbines cooled down the air to sub zero temperatures once the air passes them. How could I be so wrong?

Loading Video...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl

Haha, pretty much

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

Also: Antarctica. If Antarctica can have Wind Turbines work properly, Texas can to if they bother to winterize them.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

Texas's nightmare is projected to end Friday, with a high of 44. Things get warmer from there.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Texas is going blue next election bwahahahhahaahahhaha!

Although I do feel sorry for Texans, don't get me wrong.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HoolaHoopMan

I wonder if all of these broken pipes and water lines are going to be covered by insurance. If so, claims are going to be a bitch. If not, people are seriously screwed.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

A once in a generation thing happens and people are wondering what is wrong. Nothing! This is what happens when Texas gets very cold like temperatures for a week. Well no crap the power grid and houses are not made for it, but I see a lot of terrible people in this thread.

Congrats to you people.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@Xabiss said:

A once in a generation thing happens and people are wondering what is wrong. Nothing! This is what happens when Texas gets very cold like temperatures for a week. Well no crap the power grid and houses are not made for it, but I see a lot of terrible people in this thread.

Congrats to you people.

This isn’t the first time that weatherization has been an issue with equipment failure and rotating outages in Texas.

In August 2011, six months after an ice storm crippled much of the state and resulted in rotating outages, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation issued a report with recommendations.

"Generators and natural gas producers suffered severe losses of capacity despite having received accurate forecasts of the storm," the report states. "Entities in both categories report having winterization procedures in place. However, the poor performance of many of these generating units and wells suggests that these procedures were either inadequate or were not adequately followed."

That investigation revealed what happened in 2011, also happened in 1989, which is the first time ERCOT ever implemented rotating outages.

"The experiences of 1989 are instructive, particularly on the electric side. In that year, as in 2011, cold weather caused many generators to trip, derate, or fail to start. The [Public Utility Commission of Texas] investigated the occurrence and issued a number of recommendations aimed at improving winterization on the part of the generators.

These recommendations were not mandatory, and over the course of time implementation lapsed. Many of the generators that experienced outages in 1989 failed again in 2011," the investigation discovered.

Fast forward a decade and here we are again.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas/dallas-texas-electrical-power-outage-ercot-failures/287-50797307-0afe-43eb-8175-b78e7e4fc13a

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xabiss

@mattbbpl said:
@Xabiss said:

Congrats to you people.

This isn’t the first time that weatherization has been an issue with equipment failure and rotating outages in Texas.

In August 2011, six months after an ice storm crippled much of the state and resulted in rotating outages, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation issued a report with recommendations.

"Generators and natural gas producers suffered severe losses of capacity despite having received accurate forecasts of the storm," the report states. "Entities in both categories report having winterization procedures in place. However, the poor performance of many of these generating units and wells suggests that these procedures were either inadequate or were not adequately followed."

That investigation revealed what happened in 2011, also happened in 1989, which is the first time ERCOT ever implemented rotating outages.

"The experiences of 1989 are instructive, particularly on the electric side. In that year, as in 2011, cold weather caused many generators to trip, derate, or fail to start. The [Public Utility Commission of Texas] investigated the occurrence and issued a number of recommendations aimed at improving winterization on the part of the generators.

These recommendations were not mandatory, and over the course of time implementation lapsed. Many of the generators that experienced outages in 1989 failed again in 2011," the investigation discovered.

Fast forward a decade and here we are again.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas/dallas-texas-electrical-power-outage-ercot-failures/287-50797307-0afe-43eb-8175-b78e7e4fc13a

And none of the shit in the story holds a candle what is going on in Texas today. It has been over 30+ years since we have seen cold like this and it has been even longer since we have seen cold that has lasted this long. So again. It is what it is right now, but you people keep being hateful. This is more then rotating outages that is occurring.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mattbbpl

@Xabiss: So no one could have seen this coming despite similar events occurring multiple times in the past and recommendations from experts stating that the state needed to make changes to account for such conditions.

Good luck, TX. You'll be going through this again because the party controlling your state is incapable of reflection and course correction.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Xabiss

@mattbbpl said:

@Xabiss: So no one could have seen this coming despite similar events occurring multiple times in the past and recommendations from experts stating that the state needed to make changes to account for such conditions.

Good luck, TX. You'll be going through this again because the party controlling your state is incapable of reflection and course correction.

ROFL this is a party issue. Weather that was colder then Alaska the other day. Yep, blame that on a party. Again you liberal are just full of hate, but keep being you. Again Texas homes and everything else is not built AND WILL never be built for that kind of weather. It would be a waste of money. Seriously you people absolutely discuss me.

Also the events happening right this minute have not happened in this magnitude in 50+ years.

Avatar image for deactivated-609b1cfe23050
deactivated-609b1cfe23050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-609b1cfe23050
Member since 2021 • 320 Posts

Republican?

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xabiss

@zaryia said:

Colorado City, Tex., Mayor Tim Boyd resigns after controversial Facebook post criticizing Texans without power - The Washington Post

Texas mayor tells residents to fend for themselves during power outage: ‘Only the strong will survive’

“No one owes you [or] your family anything,” Tim Boyd wrote on Tuesday in a now-deleted Facebook post, according to KTXS and KTAB/KRBC. “I’m sick and tired of people looking for a damn handout!” Boyd’s tirade, which also demanded that “lazy” residents find their own ways of procuring water and electricity, immediately drew backlash.

@zaryia said:

Well he has resigned now. So whats the next thing you will cry about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@mattbbpl said:

ROFL this is a party issue. Weather that was colder then Alaska the other day. Yep, blame that on a party. Again you liberal are just full of hate, but keep being you. Again Texas homes and everything else is not built AND WILL never be built for that kind of weather. It would be a waste of money. Seriously you people absolutely discuss me.

Also the events happening right this minute have not happened in this magnitude in 50+ years.

Has nothing to do with the homes and more to do with the utilities weren't winterized nor did they follow recommendations as such. Because of party by the way.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Xabiss said:
@mattbbpl said:

Has nothing to do with the homes and more to do with the utilities weren't winterized nor did they follow recommendations as such. Because of party by the way.

This shit would still be happening if the Democrats were in party. Seriously give me a damn break. No one in Texas ever thought we would get hit with a winter system like this that has lasted a week now. Give me a damn break. The last time it happened where I am at was 100+ years ago. So seriously stop with you hate!

Also you are not living in Texas. Texas homes are not built for these extreme temperatures because we don't normally have weather like this. So why would waste money equipping house for extreme weather like we are getting?

Seriously liberals are no damn better then the MAGA folks anymore.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

This shit would still be happening if the Democrats were in party. Seriously give me a damn break. No one in Texas ever thought we would get hit with a winter system like this that has lasted a week now. Give me a damn break. The last time it happened where I am at was 100+ years ago. So seriously stop with you hate!

False. Texas leadership which has been Republican declined to interconnect because they didn't want to follow regulations. Also 2011 and 1989 the problems existed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Come on Texas pull yourselves up by your bootstraps already.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#38 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I live in San Antonio, Texas and on Monday morning well Sunday night it started snowing outside. Then all of a sudden our power went off for 2 whole days. It would come back on for like 10 minutes then shut off every hour. Luckily today it got back on after 10 hours without power. So like 30 hours without power more or less. To keep warm my mom had to use the stove and boil water and lit candles. Thank goodness we had blankets to warm us up and food as we prepared. Water has to be left on or else our pipes will freeze. I am gonna get a propane grill and a generator in case another winter storm hits. We really need to prepared as it might get worse in 2021.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

False. Texas leadership which has been Republican declined to interconnect because they didn't want to follow regulations. Also 2011 and 1989 the problems existed.

Seriously would be no different if democrats were in control. Seriously you people disgust me and the hate you have for something Texas is having to go through is just pathetic.BTW we had a Democrat governor, house, and senate between those times and nothing changed. So just quit with your nonsense.

Also Texas house and senate were controlled by democrats in 1989. They didn't fix anything. Texas had a Democrat governor after that and guess what nothing was fixed. So give me a break. No one expected Texas would ever get hit with a weather pattern like this and it has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

Jesus you Liberals are seriously as bad or worse then MAGA folks!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss: You are way too emotional. No one is hating on Texas. Dude.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:

Still doesn't distract that you liberals are worse then the MAGA folks and you proved my point.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Still doesn't distract that you liberals are worse then the MAGA folks and you proved my point.

You don't have a point. You're just accusing everyone of hating Texas and calling everyone a liberal. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Texas is going blue next election bwahahahhahaahahhaha!

Although I do feel sorry for Texans, don't get me wrong.

Nah, if they were smart, they would be blue already. As it is, they'll forget all about this in 2 years (that's assuming this won't happen again, which is unlikely as things are only getting worse), not to mention that the GOP will keep telling them that the dems and their green energy were at fault all along.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

im pretty conservative on a lot of things, but the retarded conservatives dominating politics in US are not a group I will ever see eye to eye with in terms of capitalist ideology. Poor investments in infrastructure seems to be a thing texas and its politicians seem to love doing.

They should have a minimum standard to be a politician. Obesity has reached an epidemic and is a national emergency. If you can't even take care of your body properly, how can you be expected to run the country. I suggest all politicians must have a normal weight BMI. Doing this alone will weed out alot of the dumasses.

gamefan606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 gamefan606
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts

Texans take a lot of pride in their (perceived) resilience. There's a reason the phrase goes "Texas Tough" and not "Texas Smart".

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Democrats have proven to do Worse.

That was in the middle of a heat wave in a state that is always hot and they still couldn't get it right.

Newsom pointed to California’s shift to renewable resources as part of the reason for the supply shortage. Shutting down polluting gas power plants has created gaps in the state’s energy supply, he said.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zaryia

@Xabiss said:
@zaryia said:

@zaryia said:

Well he has resigned now. So whats the next thing you will cry about.

Why in the hell are you attacking me for bringing this up? I thought this would be something everyone here would universally agree on...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

@silentchief: Whataboutism doesn't change the fact that Texas mishandled this greatly and the people are suffering. But hey the senators can go to Cancun to stay warm. Stop supporting incompetence and selfishness. Government should help their people. Not use them.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@silentchief: Whataboutism doesn't change the fact that Texas mishandled this greatly and the people are suffering. But hey the senators can go to Cancun to stay warm. Stop supporting incompetence and selfishness. Government should help their people. Not use them.

You have no clue wtf you're talking about. Texas power grid is ran by ERCOT not state legislature. This has nothing to do with Republicans or Democrats. Texas has had an independent power grid since 1935.