SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8209 Posts

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/global-markets-banks-wrapup-1-2023-03-10/

• California regulator closes SVB, appoints FDIC as receiver
  • SVB focused on lending to start-ups; branches to reopen Monday
  • FDIC to sell bank assets; 'chaos' reported amid withdrawals
  • Bank shares fall in U.S., Europe, but well off lows
  • Crisis exposes banking 'vulnerabilities' amid rising rates

Felt this is thread worthy. People are saying this is the biggest banking failure since 2008. Making it one of the biggest bank collapses in US history.

Since SVBs collapse, a second bank has now fallen.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/stocks-fall-and-wall-street-fearful-after-svb-failure-followed-by-second-bank

From what I understand SVB was giving a lot of loans to tech start ups and this industry has been hit hard recently. A run on SVB was sparked and the bank just doesn't have the money to handle it. Lots to think about.

The FED is talking about raising interest rates higher than they originally were expecting this year. It looks like SVB is going to get some sort of bailout by the government, could other bigger banks fail? Is this a sign of something worse? Or is this just a "one off" due to it's ties in a specific industry?

One thing is for sure, this does not instill confidence in the market.

Thoughts?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Unless full panic, it won't start anything big.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SargentD

@horgen: I hope so. Hoping it's a one off for the tech market and not a sign of something worse.

Some people saying don't worry, it's nothing. White pilling.

But at the same time i hear alot of black pilling from others.

Gerald Celente for example.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Depositors getting bailed out, not the bank itself.

Indicative of the shit banking system in the US. Way too many banks, way too small, way too poorly regulated.

But in this particular case, who thought it was a genius idea to have a bank version of what is essentially a technology based venture capital fund? Hey guys, let's have an extraordinary risk profile by loaning most of our money to one sector of the economy on end use investments that carry much higher than normal overall risk profile? On top of that, let's try to attract as many people as possible as deposit customers from the very same companies we are loaning money too.

Higher risk times higher risk. Genius. What could go wrong? LMAO.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Obviously we need to vote Republican because rampant deregulation fixes all of these problems…

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@sargentd said:

@horgen: I hope so. Hoping it's a one off for the tech market and not a sign of something worse.

Well if it is worse, why isn't there stress testing of these banks?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SargentD

@horgen said:
@sargentd said:

Well if it is worse, why isn't there stress testing of these banks?

I don't know why, but I will say I don't think the banks are used to interest rates being raised by the FED at the rate it's been going either.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@SUD123456: From what I've heard, it was largely due to them lobbying to be exempt from Dodd Frank, using that exemption to bet heavily on interest rates remaining low without hedging, and then being blindsided when rates rose and they were locked into those long term investments.

They used those investments to offer lucrative account features in exchange for risk.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Yes, this is very much worthy a thread. I was planning on making one myself, but I do prefer my threads to stick to primarily european issues. So I am glad someone else made it :)

That said, things like this are inevitable in a boom and bust economy. And given how important tech is to the economy, this could be deeply troubling. I don't want to say any conclusions or anything, yet, since I am no economist. But I hope economists will find a way to prevent a bad situation from becoming, much, much worse.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@sargentd: @horgen: There used to be stress testing for banks this size, but it got bumped from $50 billion in assets up to $250 billion back in 2017.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

my understanding is the bank itself fucked up by not accounting for the risks of higher inflation and getting caught out.

so not so much a massive systemic problem but rather a failure in their particular operation and a few others like it.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD

Good discussion if anyone's interested

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

As long as crypto loses money it's all good news to me.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD

@R4gn4r0k: some crypto is getting hit by this, but Bitcoin is rallying since this happened. The bank institutions are red but Bitcoin is going up. I'm not a crypto fan just saying.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@judaspete said:

@sargentd: @horgen: There used to be stress testing for banks this size, but it got bumped from $50 billion in assets up to $250 billion back in 2017.

That was thanks to Trump, right?

Also.. Wasn't the CEO of this bank heavily connected to the other bank that started the 2008 financial crisis?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@horgen said:
@judaspete said:

Also.. Wasn't the CEO of this bank heavily connected to the other bank that started the 2008 financial crisis?

Yes trump rolled back Obama era protections against this happening. He was so bad for the country.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I fully expect the poor to get poorer and the rich to get richer from all this.

Oh, if only this or something like this had happened before and there was someway to learn a lesson from it!!!!🙄

Seems like we keep being given reasons to maybe look into better options than capitalism, or to at least reassess how we approach capitalism in this country.

@horgen said:
@judaspete said:

Based on the articles I skimmed, yes, this is all true.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Joe Biden made comments about consequences for whomever is at fault. Do I believe those words? Not wholeheartedly. My skepticism is not based on his affiliation but rather his occupation. Politicians love giving lip service. Results are sketchy especially when promises are made and rarely kept.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

I fully expect the poor to get poorer and the rich to get richer from all this.

Oh, if only this or something like this had happened before and there was someway to learn a lesson from it!!!!🙄

Seems like we keep being given reasons to maybe look into better options than capitalism, or to at least reassess how we approach capitalism in this country.

@horgen said:
@judaspete said:

Based on the articles I skimmed, yes, this is all true.

Why is he allowed to be anywhere close to banking business?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 judaspete

@horgen: HAHAHAHA!!!

Don't worry. I'm sure the free market will start weeding out guys like this any day now. 🤣

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

@judaspete: Maybe I will believe you. This makes sense because this type of bank manager is the "exception and not the rule".

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Republicans Have Found a Culprit for SVB’s Collapse - The Atlantic

This is some of the lowest IQ shit I've ever seen. 🤣

But a few prominent Republicans found a third way: Blame it all on wokeness.

“I mean, this bank, they’re so concerned with DEI and politics and all kinds of stuff. I think that really diverted from them focusing on their core mission,” said Florida Governor and presumptive presidential candidate Ron DeSantis.Ronald Brownstein: The contradictions of Ron DeSantis

SVB is what happens when you push a leftist/woke ideology and have that take precedent over common sense business practices,” tweeted Donald Trump Jr., presumably in contrast to the commonsense business practices that have led Trump family businesses to declare bankruptcy multiple times.

“This won’t be the last failure of this nature so long as people are rewarded for pushing this bs.”“We see now coming out they were one of the most woke banks in their quest for the [Environmental, Social, and Governance]-type policy and investing,” Representative James Comer of Kentucky, chair of the House Oversight Committee, said.

And Representative Marjorie Taylor Green offered a nonsensical statement, even by her standards, saying that “the fools running the bank were woke and almost became broke.”

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 judaspete

@zaryia: Well here I was buying into the leftist narrative of high-risk investments blowing up in their face, but thankfully these big-brain patriots are here to set me straight. It was get woke, go broke all along. This is a great example of Ockham's lesser known principle of the dull, rusty butter knife.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SargentD

Record breaking spending from the FED

Record breaking rate hikes by the FED

Record breaking inflation

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

@sargentd: Propagandist drivel. How sad. The things happening are because of policies Trump eliminated to save money. It's called the ripple effect. Where actions cause consequences over time.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@sargentd: Did you just complain about inflation and rate hikes in the same post?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaryia

@sargentd said:

Record breaking spending from the FED

Record breaking rate hikes by the FED

Record breaking inflation

I knew you were going to eventually ruin your own thread with far right fiction.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@sargentd: Trump deregulation caused this. Using Jr as a source is laughable.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

Coked out of his mind Jr. does not remember reality, but in maga land his word diarrhea is still taken as a fact.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
@zaryia said:

Republicans Have Found a Culprit for SVB’s Collapse - The Atlantic

This is some of the lowest IQ shit I've ever seen. 🤣

But a few prominent Republicans found a third way: Blame it all on wokeness.

“I mean, this bank, they’re so concerned with DEI and politics and all kinds of stuff. I think that really diverted from them focusing on their core mission,” said Florida Governor and presumptive presidential candidate Ron DeSantis.Ronald Brownstein: The contradictions of Ron DeSantis

SVB is what happens when you push a leftist/woke ideology and have that take precedent over common sense business practices,” tweeted Donald Trump Jr., presumably in contrast to the commonsense business practices that have led Trump family businesses to declare bankruptcy multiple times.

“This won’t be the last failure of this nature so long as people are rewarded for pushing this bs.”“We see now coming out they were one of the most woke banks in their quest for the [Environmental, Social, and Governance]-type policy and investing,” Representative James Comer of Kentucky, chair of the House Oversight Committee, said.

And Representative Marjorie Taylor Green offered a nonsensical statement, even by her standards, saying that “the fools running the bank were woke and almost became broke.”

lol desantis and his woke bogeyman.

my shoe came untied? it's the woke left's fault!

my golf day got rained out? damn woke liberals.

i can't imagine there are people stupid enough to believe this crap.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

If you look at it objectively, the feds have raised rates substantially in a relatively short period of time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@Solaryellow said:

If you look at it objectively, the feds have raised rates substantially in a relatively short period of time.

Due to inflation because of the pandemic. The US is recovering better than many other countries.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattbbpl

@Solaryellow said:

Are you advocating that they shouldn't have in order to protect this bank that failed to properly hedge against rates?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SargentD

@mattbbpl said:

@sargentd: Did you just complain about inflation and rate hikes in the same post?

And spending

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SargentD

Bidens administration gets an absolute 100% pass by some of you guys no matter what

Like even though the guy has been in office almost 3 years and had control of the house and Senate. Some how everything is always Trump's fault to you guys lol it's comical

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@sargentd said:

Bidens administration gets an absolute 100% pass by some of you guys no matter what

Like even though the guy has been in office almost 3 years and had control of the house and Senate. Some how everything is always Trump's fault to you guys lol it's comical

Trump signed the deregulation of the banks. Who do you expect to be blamed?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SargentD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:

I'd blame the bank itself or the FED for raising interest rates at an intense level.

When I read this story, I definitely don't go " omg looks what Trump did!!"

Fucking insane lol

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

@sargentd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'd blame the bank itself or the FED for raising interest rates at an intense level.

When I read this story, I definitely don't go " omg looks what Trump did!!"

Fucking insane lol

Deregulation is the problem though.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mattbbpl

@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

And spending

But the deficit has fallen during the Biden administration.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SargentD

@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

And spending

Fallen compared to what? Compared to the spending that happened during the COVID lockdowns??? When we gave everyone stimulus checks and doubled up unemployment checks to stay home? That ultimately did nothing to stop COVID but ruined the global economy?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SargentD

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mattbbpl

@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

And spending

Fallen compared to what? Compared to the spending that happened during the COVID lockdowns??? When we gave everyone stimulus checks and doubled up unemployment checks to stay home? That ultimately did nothing to stop COVID but ruined the global economy?

Compared to the Trump administration, correct.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SargentD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Solaryellow said:

Due to inflation because of the pandemic. The US is recovering better than many other countries.

Stop saying "due to the pandemic".

I say due to liberals locking us down over political reasons and paying people to stay home and not work, by shutting down businesses and paying out relief checks, it's due to the governments reaction to a novel virus with a 99.9% survival rate lol...

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SargentD

@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

And spending

Compared to the Trump administration, correct.

Loading Video...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mattbbpl

@sargentd: I don't play the YouTube video game. Tell me your point in text.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zaryia
@sargentd said: Shitty Trump Video
@sargentd said:

Stop saying "due to the pandemic".

I say due to liberals locking us down over political reasons and paying people to stay home and not work, by shutting down businesses and paying out relief checks, it's due to the governments reaction to a novel virus with a 99.9% survival rate lol...

Why do you post fake garbage so often lol. Your posts are gibberish.

@sargentd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:

Fucking insane lol

We know you are.