Stock market plunges to historic low - Trumps plan in full effect?

• 52 results
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Everything that Bill clinton, George bush Jr, Obama, and Trump have done will cause another massive crash, and another great depression.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@tryit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sonicare said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@comp_atkins said:

pummeled again today.

Yup. Sold a few of my things, held on to one or two of my ETF's.

Now I just need to decide what to buy next, and when. The small rally yesterday got me spirits up prematurely because, as you said, we were pummeled today.

Honestly, if you are not retiring in the next few years, I wouldn't be too concerned. Unless you are Warren Buffet and can consistently beat the market, the best bet is to buy index funds that mimic the S&P or other large index and hold them. Most of you guys are likely in your 20's and 30's and have 30+ years in the market. Just routinely buy index fund stocks at certain intervals - the whole dollar cost averaging thing. Unless the market goes into some uncharted territory with a decades long recession, you should do well. Buying and selling stocks frequently usually diminishes your returns. Extremely hard to time the market and you lose on commissions and fees.

That's more or less what I do. 80% of my investments are in a Vanguard S&P 500 ETF. I have a few other things here and there that I "play" around with, so I can learn the system, etc. Like you said, I am in my 30's, I plan to be working for three more decades since I like what I do, so I can afford me be "moderate risk" with my investments. It's kind of scary, though; I talk to my peers, people that are also in their 30's, and most of them don't have hardly anything save.

So far my investments have been pretty good up until this past week. I expect them to bounce back like they always do.

nearly 100% in Vanguard myself (various mutuals)

I like vanguard, too. Cheapest expense ratios.