SCOTUS officially announced overturning Roe v Wade, ending bodily autonomy for all women in this country

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@appariti0n said:
@Serraph105 said:

@appariti0n: Roe was slippery slope, until it wasn't

So the slippery slope is sometimes real then?

It seems the takeaway is that when a group of people tell you they want to do something, it ceases to be a fallacy and becomes merely listening to them.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
@OmegaBlueUp said:

Regarding the concerns about contraptions and gay marriage being at risk, wouldn't the worst that happens at this point be that it becomes up to the state? Are there any states saying they would outlaw those? It didn't seem like the concern is justified.

Are you not aware that all of these were already considered illegal or unrecognized legally in certain locations and that's exactly why they became supreme court cases in the first place? Or do you think Supreme Court precedent apparates from the ether? 2 of these 3 cases were literally cases against states.

People may not have been talking about these before because the spotlight was on abortion for the Right's moral outrage campaign, but I can guarantee that once the dust settles on abortion, these will all be next for Y'all Qaeda. The culture war isn't allowed to end or the Right ceases to exist.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@OmegaBlueUp said:

Regarding the concerns about contraptions and gay marriage being at risk, wouldn't the worst that happens at this point be that it becomes up to the state? Are there any states saying they would outlaw those? It didn't seem like the concern is justified.

I'd consider that a big f*cking deal. Is this the justification we're dealing with now?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts
@zaryia said:
@silentchief said:
@Solaryellow said:
@sargentd said:

Gamespot makes a front page political article on the subject against the Scotus decision. But turns off comments.

Cowards

but but but.......if you want to donate.

It's so pathetic. I miss when gaming sites actually just focused on gaming as opposed to pushing leftwing agendas.

They are siding with the objectively correct position as it pertains to every single study ever done on abortion.

Problem? Hate facts? Hate science?

I don't care actually, but they need to stfu about political issues and stop parroting leftwing stances. If the left wants to wipe out their offspring I'm ok with it. But there are dozens of other websites I can get that information from other then a gaming site.

I don't come to gamespot and IGN to hear about every leftist talking point. That's the problem with you loons though. You demand allegiance at all times and constantly push those agendas in all things.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 OmegaBlueUp
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

@Vaasman: perhaps this is a bigger issue than I'm aware of. I just don't see states bringing back those laws (well, maybe for the type of birth control that leads a fertilized egg to die but there would be other types to use).

I see abortion as more of a divisive issue and knew people protesting it before this court decision was leaked, but I haven't heard outrage about gay marriage and birth control in a long time.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@zmanbarzel: to be honest, I'm all for state rights. Not too big on the federal government. You literally can't even do anything when states have radically different cultures and ideologies.

Give states far more power than they have now.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3399 Posts

@silentchief: I think you can probably go to another site you want instead of crying about what a site you don't own puts on their first page. Their site, their rules.

MGMZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 MGMZero
Member since 2020 • 55 Posts

My question: What does this have to do with gaming?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#161 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

SCOTUS didn't end body autonomy for anybody. They're not making law. If you want it to be protected for all people, there's a solution to it, it's called a constitution amendment. Absent that, by law, by the way this country was built, it falls to the states to decide, which is where that decision belongs until such an amendment is created and voted on by the states.

SCOTUS is doing their jobs. If you don't like it, then I don't want to hear anymore "muh democracy!" bullshit. Democracy doesn't guarantee you'll get everything you want.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#162 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

@mgmzero said:

Wokespot is run by the US Democrat party, not sure what you expect. This site stopped being about gaming many years ago.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

How are the 70’s going?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Eoten

@horgen said:

How are the 70’s going?

What does that have to do with anything?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

GQP already promising a federal abortion ban. So much for the "state's rights" talking point right wingers overs here keep peddling.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Eoten

Seems a bunch of "protesters" tried to storm the capitol building in Arizona. I am not sure what they are hoping to gain with violence against the state capitol, there's nothing to try to coerce and influence.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#167 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3863 Posts

@tjandmia said:
@JimB said:
@tjandmia said:

The Republican party, the only party in history ever to end a constitutional right.

Roe V Wade was not a constitutional right. If it was it would still be in effect.

It was a constitutional right for like 50 years. Why bother pretending it wasn't? That's stupid.

The Supreme Court can not grant rights not in the constitution. There is a way to grant rights but it is through legislation. Roe V Wade was a bad ruling the same as Dredd Scott was a bad ruling keeping slavery. You need to understand how your government is set up. It was set up not to make decisions based on emotion.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Eoten

@JimB said:
@tjandmia said:
@JimB said:
@tjandmia said:

The Republican party, the only party in history ever to end a constitutional right.

Roe V Wade was not a constitutional right. If it was it would still be in effect.

It was a constitutional right for like 50 years. Why bother pretending it wasn't? That's stupid.

The Supreme Court can not grant rights not in the constitution. There is a way to grant rights but it is through legislation. Roe V Wade was a bad ruling the same as Dredd Scott was a bad ruling keeping slavery. You need to understand how your government is set up. It was set up not to make decisions based on emotion.

Legislation, or a constitutional amendment voted by the states. They've made exactly ZERO attempts at either of those things in those past 50 years... and they knew Roe v Wade wasn't going to exist forever. RBG even alluded to that several times.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 blaznwiipspman1

@rmpumper: they need to take away the ability of the federal government to do anything. These issues, and trade, economy etc should be left up to individual states. Or maybe we should split USA in two. The country is far too divided on things, and sometimes a divorce is the best solution.

Sound_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Sound_Demon
Member since 2013 • 1248 Posts

@zaryia: What the **** does this even mean lol?? They will pick the "wrong" thing? Because you don't agree with it? They were elected to pass those laws. Stupid thing to say.

Sound_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Sound_Demon
Member since 2013 • 1248 Posts

@Planeforger: Ah yes because passing something to state govs and giving them the rights to choose what they want at a local level is worse than what the Taliban is doing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#172 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Should have just left it alone. This is just political theater only now it has negative consequences.

@Sound_Demon said:

@Planeforger: Ah yes because passing something to state govs and giving them the rights to choose what they want at a local level is worse than what the Taliban is doing.

Hyperbole aside, it's a back-asswards move; societies should progress, not regress, to a better ideal....and frankly it does put us more in line with Taliban ideals (or Saudi, or Iranian, or....you get the picture) than 21st century Western first-world ideals.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#173 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Member when Obama stated that he would codify Abortion rights when he was President with a dominate Democrat House for 2 years? I member! Just like all Established Politicians, they NEVER care for their own or keep ANY promises

This is also why you DON'T vote Blue no matter who

They never kept their promises at all, and Joe Biden was never Pro-Choice or Pro-Abortion

NYT Link

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Eoten

@mrbojangles25 said:

Should have just left it alone. This is just political theater only now it has negative consequences.

@Sound_Demon said:

Hyperbole aside, it's a back-asswards move; societies should progress, not regress, to a better ideal....and frankly it does put us more in line with Taliban ideals (or Saudi, or Iranian, or....you get the picture) than 21st century Western first-world ideals.

How is following the law back asswards? It's not in the constitution, it's not written in any laws, that means it falls to the states. That's not regression. Ideology has nothing to do with it. Stats don't matter, your feelings don't matter. SCOTUS' did their job. You people are trying to make all the wrong arguments. If you want to whine about it, whine over the fact nobody in congress has ever felt it necessary to codify anything, despite running on the promises of doing just that, and knowing full well in advance it was only a matter of time before Roe v Wade was gone. But you got nothing credible to whine about the judges over.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@eoten said:

How is following the law back asswards? It's not in the constitution, it's not written in any laws, that means it falls to the states. That's not regression. Ideology has nothing to do with it. Stats don't matter, your feelings don't matter. SCOTUS' did their job. You people are trying to make all the wrong arguments. If you want to whine about it, whine over the fact nobody in congress has ever felt it necessary to codify anything, despite running on the promises of doing just that, and knowing full well in advance it was only a matter of time before Roe v Wade was gone. But you got nothing credible to whine about the judges over.

Eliciting such a response is one based on emotion rather than a factual grasp on the process and mandate of the court and constitution. This is Civics 101 here. Based on the response to yesterday's ruling, it's clear either the education system has failed a great deal of people or they just fail themselves when the moment is right.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 FireEmblem_Man

@mrbojangles25: Your california politician Nancy Pelosi had all the time in the world to prevented this. And she’s your democrat because vote blue no matter who, right?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#178 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

My phone didn't ring last night so that's a good sign. Saw LAPD had some riff-raff and dealt with unrest along with other departments across the country though. We'll see how the weekend goes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@mgmzero said:

You're not in a gaming forum. There are a lot of those around, go find one.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 LJS9502_basic  Online
@FireEmblem_Man said:

@mrbojangles25: Your california politician Nancy Pelosi had all the time in the world to prevented this. And she’s your democrat because vote blue no matter who, right?

And how would she prevent this?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@rmpumper: they need to take away the ability of the federal government to do anything. These issues, and trade, economy etc should be left up to individual states. Or maybe we should split USA in two. The country is far too divided on things, and sometimes a divorce is the best solution.

So you are one the people who only point out the States part of USA, but always ignore the United part.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

And give lots of power on the world stage to Russia and China?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Eoten

@LJS9502_basic said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

And how would she prevent this?

Gee, I dunno, a federal bill voted on when democrats controlled both houses of congress and the presidency which has occurred several times since she has been in office? tell me, how many times has congress voted on a bill to codify Roe v Wade? Several Democrats have promised to. Obama promised to do it... then changed his mind immediately after getting elected. But this shows me those senators have known Roe v Wade wasn't going to be around forever, hence using it to run for office.

So tell me, why hasn't congress ever written or passed a bill on the matter?

... oh yeah, because they don't give a shit.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 blaznwiipspman1

@horgen: sadly thats going to happen regardless at the rate things are going.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I wonder how this decision will reverberate towards the White House, especially when President Bidens approval has been on a steady dive since taking office. Can he use this to effectively rally/improve his numbers with democrats and independents?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Impeccable logic. It's really democrats' fault that and not republicans for the repealing Roe v Wade. It's not the GOP crafted the laws that challenged it, have it in their party platform, or elected the man responsible for installing the judges that overturned it.

NO, it's Nancy Pelosi's fault for not getting a law passed to combat all of the above.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 LJS9502_basic  Online

@eoten said:

Gee, I dunno, a federal bill voted on when democrats controlled both houses of congress and the presidency which has occurred several times since she has been in office? tell me, how many times has congress voted on a bill to codify Roe v Wade? Several Democrats have promised to. Obama promised to do it... then changed his mind immediately after getting elected. But this shows me those senators have known Roe v Wade wasn't going to be around forever, hence using it to run for office.

So tell me, why hasn't congress ever written or passed a bill on the matter?

... oh yeah, because they don't give a shit.

When exactly? As for this specific issue, I don't think anyone thought the Court would do this. They are, in effect, taking rights away from women. You may not agree with abortion, I don't, but I also can not force people to follow my choices. Government shouldn't either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I wonder how this decision will reverberate towards the White House, especially when President Bidens approval has been on a steady dive since taking office. Can he use this to effectively rally/improve his numbers with democrats and independents?

I do think this hurts the GOP.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 HoolaHoopMan

@horgen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

And give lots of power on the world stage to Russia and China?

He called Ukraine Part of Russia in another thread and basically said that it's really just a Russian civil war. He has some fairly bad takes on foreign relations and national policy.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Okay lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#191 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

When you say that, do you mean this is a bridge too far for moderate Republicans, they lost a lot of the female demographic, or something else?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 HoolaHoopMan
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Sound_Demon said:

I'm very sick of the argument that it should be a 'states right', as if these same people aren't also arguing that they're against abortion no matter what (I'm willing to bet the Venn diagram of those groups are a circle). It doesn't tackle the issue and just passes the buck to a local government, at which point, we're still stuck with individual states employing their own flavor of discrimination.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 FireEmblem_Man

@HoolaHoopMan: wubba lubba dub dub

I posted above that Obama promised to codify abortion, then backtracked on his word. It was nothing but an empty promise you keep supporting

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

When you say that, do you mean this is a bridge too far for moderate Republicans, they lost a lot of the female demographic, or something else?

Many Republicans were okay with Roe v Wade. How many suburban women do you think had abortions? Also is this going to come with better child support? That effects men as well.

Also it may galvanize apathetic voters to the polls.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Eoten

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Sound_Demon said:

I'm very sick of the argument that it should be a 'states right', as if these same people aren't also arguing that they're against abortion no matter what (I'm willing to bet the Venn diagram of those groups are a circle). It doesn't tackle the issue and just passes the buck to a local government, at which point, we're still stuck with individual states employing their own flavor of discrimination.

Well, like it or not, it falls to the states to decide, as do most things, as is how this country was built to operate, and as there is nothing in the constitution or any federal laws then by law it falls to the states to decide.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 FireEmblem_Man

@LJS9502_basic: aren’t you catholic?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Eoten
@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Many Republicans were okay with Roe v Wade. How many suburban women do you think had abortions? Also is this going to come with better child support? That effects men as well.

Also it may galvanize apathetic voters to the polls.

Probably not that many since Planned Parenthood tends to target minority communities in the inner cities.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@LJS9502_basic: aren’t you catholic?

Yes. And I don't agree with abortion but I also don't agree with forcing things on others. I don't like when a mother's life is in danger that there is no medical procedure to save their life either.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#199 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@eoten said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Sound_Demon said:

Well, like it or not, it falls to the states to decide, as do most things, as is how this country was built to operate, and as there is nothing in the constitution or any federal laws then by law it falls to the states to decide.

so brown vs board of,Loving v. Virginia,. should never happen then.

btw the trigger laws in some state

incest,rape,life of mother.. all banned for aborting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 LJS9502_basic  Online

@mattbbpl said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Well, this is gonna wake up the democratic voters.

It's likely too late for the court. Barring some unforseen consequences, it's makeup is set for a generation and it just gave itself license to roll back a whole raft of conservative-loathed decisions.

That's why they have to make in law in Congress. Then the SC is unimportant.