‘Only one thing will work’. Anyone else worried? (NK)

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Washington (CNN) - President Donald Trump tweeted Saturday that 25 years of agreements with North Korea have failed, "making fools" of US negotiators.

Then he added cryptically that "only one thing will work."

Asked by reporters later Saturday about the cryptic tweet, Trump would only say: "You'll figure that out pretty soon."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/politics/trump-north-korea-negotiations-tweet/index.html

This just days after his “calm before the storm” talk. I can’t help but feel like war is inevitable and will break out any day now, and wonder what the implications will be, not only regarding the lives of both South Korean and US civilians but also how China and Russia will respond.

Is anyone else worried about all of this? Do you think there is the potential for a strike on the US mainland, and is Trump taking this possibility seriously? Are you concerned about China and Russia’s reaction to a war in their own backyards?

I don’t post often, but felt the need to ask this and am interested what your thoughts are on the matter. Honestly, I’m peeing my pants.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I would imagine Trump is trying to scare Kim. I can't imagine for a second that Kelly or the Joint Chiefs approve of such provocative language, but this is the Trump MO -- talk a big game and pound your chest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

He's probably just making more empty threats.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Miyomatic said:

Washington (CNN) - President Donald Trump tweeted Saturday that 25 years of agreements with North Korea have failed, "making fools" of US negotiators.

Then he added cryptically that "only one thing will work."

Asked by reporters later Saturday about the cryptic tweet, Trump would only say: "You'll figure that out pretty soon."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/politics/trump-north-korea-negotiations-tweet/index.html

This just days after his “calm before the storm” talk. I can’t help but feel like war is inevitable and will break out any day now, and wonder what the implications will be, not only regarding the lives of both South Korean and US civilians but also how China and Russia will respond.

Is anyone else worried about all of this? Do you think there is the potential for a strike on the US mainland, and is Trump taking this possibility seriously? Are you concerned about China and Russia’s reaction to a war in their own backyards?

I don’t post often, but felt the need to ask this and am interested what your thoughts are on the matter. Honestly, I’m peeing my pants.

Worried, why would i be? If attack happens it will be because the military heads can secure a win with minimal casualties.

And no i don´t think a strike on mainland usa will be a option, South Korea and Japan probably.

But let´s see Trump hopefully is going to listen to his advisors and not go off half winded.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I really hope that, behind closed doors, Mattis is just like "let the big boys talk, Donald, there's work to do" and they handle this shit.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I'm sure President Dumbass wants war, he thinks it'll make him seem tough and he'll get a bounce in the polls.

But I'm just hoping, like said above, that the military generals etc have more sense and go about it a different way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm sure President Dumbass wants war, he thinks it'll make him seem tough and he'll get a bounce in the polls.

But I'm just hoping, like said above, that the military generals etc have more sense and go about it a different way.

I think you can be sure that even Trump knows that a war with North Korea is a lose-lose situation for all.

Luckily tho it seems the storm as died down a tiny bit.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

One of the biggest problems with Trump is that everyone keeps calling him president when they shouldn't be doing that at all.

He's absolutely going to try attacking NK, because Republican voters are literally so stupid that wars make them support terrible people like Trump even more. Bush did the same thing.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Miyomatic

@tjandmia: Wait, calling the POTUS by his title is “one of the biggest problems” with the NK crisis? Listen, I think most agree the POTUS is a moron, but rebelling like a schoolgirl and giving the whole “republicans are dumb” spiel does not answer any of the questions presented in this thread.

I’m genuinely interested in your thoughts on the latest developments with NK. If you’re more interested in an anti-republican echo chamber than I’m sure there are other threads that could use you.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Interestingly, it appears that a plurality (and nearly a majority) of Republicans support a pre-emptive strike against North Korea.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Miyomatic

@mattbbpl: the unfortunate thing is I doubt these people realize/care about the death toll that would result in a preemptive strike, which would certainly note bode well for our allies attitudes toward us.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Stranger_36 said:

Probably but this isn't entertainment anymore....he's president.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jacanuk

@Miyomatic said:

@tjandmia: Wait, calling the POTUS by his title is “one of the biggest problems” with the NK crisis? Listen, I think most agree the POTUS is a moron, but rebelling like a schoolgirl and giving the whole “republicans are dumb” spiel does not answer any of the questions presented in this thread.

I’m genuinely interested in your thoughts on the latest developments with NK. If you’re more interested in an anti-republican echo chamber than I’m sure there are other threads that could use you.

TJ is a troll account , so i would not have to high hopes.

The account usually only comes with anti-trump/republican rants.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@Miyomatic said:

TJ is a troll account , so i would not have to high hopes.

The account usually only comes with anti-trump/republican rants.

And the reverse is your account which only comes with pro-trump/liberal rants.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Trump gonna Trump

I've just resigned myself to enjoy every passing day for what it brings me.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@foxhound_fox said:

Trump gonna Trump

Well democracy has spoken so not much you can do except accept it and wait for the next election.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Trump gonna Trump

Well democracy has spoken so not much you can do except accept it and wait for the next election.

Presidents are not democratically elected in the US.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Trump gonna Trump

Of course not they are handpicked from pre-determined pool of potential candidates.

The rest is a show put on to please people like you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Trump gonna Trump

Of course not they are handpicked from pre-determined pool of potential candidates.

You misspoke...........deal with it.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Miyomatic: I doubt anyone in proximity to North Korea goes to sleep not wondering when the war will start. If I lived there(Japan, Guam, S Korea) I'd prefer to end this sooner than later. N Korea is a terrorist. Hopefully the people of North Korea have a chance to leave before it happens. Or hopefully they know what's coming and have already left. It really comes down to: give up the nukes(not gonna happen), or the nukes and the regime will be destroyed. I can't see how it'll go any other way. This isn't just the U.S. talking... It's the U.N... Really has little to do with Trump at this point.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Trump gonna Trump

You misspoke...........deal with it.

Sure what ever you say.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Miyomatic

@joshrmeyer: I agree for the most part, but would love to hear your thoughts on Russia and China’s role in this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I sincerely believe that Trump wants to start a war because he sees it as politically advantageous for himself.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Stranger_36 said:

Is that supposed to be better?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If by "you'll find out", Means a strike on North Korea who then retaliates against South Korea and leaves thousands of casualties. Then I'm fairly certain the US is gonna be shunned by all of their allies.

So yeah, if that is the case then the US is likely going to walk alone for a long time.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer

@Miyomatic: Not sure about China or Russia. They don't seem to be threatened. My guess would be they go along with it(war).

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshRMeyer

@Treflis: I'm sure the U.S. won't do anything without the allies knowledge, and probably help.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

we have a president who teases war like it's a reality show. gotta get them ratings up!

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@Treflis: I'm sure the U.S. won't do anything without the allies knowledge, and probably help.

You have more confidence in the US then I have at the moment then.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshRMeyer

@Treflis: Well, it'd be stupid to go against the U.N. when they are all on your side. So I'm not sure why you'd be worried. The U.S. has also basically said directly that military options are on the table in several occasions. The allies know. If anything, I'd be more worried about Japan striking first. I'm sure they are tired of missles flying over the country. I think at this point all the allies(maybe not Russia so much) is on the same page with the U.S.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Worried, why would i be? If attack happens it will be because the military heads can secure a win with minimal casualties.

Exactly what in our military history makes you think this is a true statement? And isent the fear that a potential response (or first action, which we are pretty certain he wont do) being the launch of nukes on near countries? That's not minimal casualties, and knowing our military carpet bombing NK would be a daily thing, which is not minimal casualties.

@Jacanuk said:

But let´s see Trump hopefully is going to listen to his advisors and not go off half winded.

If Trump was listening to his advisers he would not be in this position to begin with.... of course, that is assuming his advisers are not as dumb as he is.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KOD

@joshrmeyer said:

@Treflis: If anything, I'd be more worried about Japan striking first. I'm sure they are tired of missles flying over the country. I think at this point all the allies(maybe not Russia so much) is on the same page with the U.S.

Why do you think Japan would strike first?

Most countries are not paranoid like we are, and Japan actually has it written in their constitution that they wont go to war.

ARTICLE 9. (1) Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JoshRMeyer

@kod: When was that written? It one of those missles hits their mainland, they won't retaliate? Or are you saying they won't throw the first punch? Because, to me, that's already been thrown, twice. N Korea has been threatening Japan more than S Korea lately. Guess we'll see within the next few weeks if they test another missle over Japan.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KOD

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: When was that written? It one of those missles hits their mainland, they won't retaliate? Or are you saying they won't throw the first punch? Because, to me, that's already been thrown, twice. N Korea has been threatening Japan more than S Korea lately. Guess we'll see within the next few weeks if they test another missle over Japan.

1947.....Right after WW2..... when they were most aware of external forces bombing them. Specifically, external forces bombing them with nuclear weapons..... Hi America, how ya doin?

So again, most of the world does not espouse these "threaten me? ill bomb you!" mentality that the militarily driven America does. They tend to do a better job of realistically understanding the situation and affects of going to war or bombing another country, which is something lost on most Americans. NK and japan have been hostile toward one another forever, including when it was just Korea. This was also not the second time something like that had happened. NK has lunched plenty of missiles in Japans direction. NK has committed terrorist attacks against Japan, sent pirates after Japanese ships, kidnapped many Japanese citizens, etc.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoshRMeyer

@kod: Crazy... Glad nothing's happened to Japan since then. I don't think I could live like that though. I grew up in FL, and if Cuba was sending missiles over the peninsula, I'd be freaking out. Fortunately for Japan, they have several allies now. I don't know my history well enough, but I know the U.S. wasn't an ally back then. Now they have a trigger happy power country to help them out. I'm probably out of touch with reality, but I've never seen a country consistently threaten other countries without consequence. I'll admit, growing up I barely knew anything about other countries (probably like most Americans).

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KOD

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: Crazy... Glad nothing's happened to Japan since then.

Is it crazy or is it just diplomacy functioning properly? Most first world nations have not been bombed by mysterious country X, that a paranoid person could make some kind of case for. Most notably America, who "ironically" does the most first strikes in the name of __________ (pick the bullshit reason of the day). of any other nation in the world.... IMO, if i was to be looking at it from the outside, America is who i'd be most concerned with.

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: I grew up in FL, and if Cuba was sending missiles over the peninsula, I'd be freaking out. Fortunately for Japan, they have several allies now.

Yah, i mean.... We just live in America right? A country with a yearly gun homicide rate that tops most wars. As for Cuba (hypothetical or not).... again... "ironically", i would be more concerned with our own government deciding to blow up American buildings, murder American citizens and crash American passenger planes and then trying to blame it on Cuba. That was actually a plan the CIA almost took action on.

Im no psychologist, but it seems to me that most American's fears are projections of themselves, right? They fear bombings for no reason, because its what they'd do. They see a ounce of hostility and they go right to mass bombings as a reaction. Because.. hey... stand your ground right?

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: I don't know my history well enough, but I know the U.S. wasn't an ally back then. Now they have a trigger happy power country to help them out. I'm probably out of touch with reality, but I've never seen a country consistently threaten other countries without consequence. I'll admit, growing up I barely knew anything about other countries (probably like most Americans).

Actually at that point, yes, we were allies with Japan. We became allies pretty much right after the war.

Countries threaten other countries all the time, the whole point though, is to avoid war and use diplomacy to solve problems. With NK, everyone who is paying attention, knows they are bullshitters. This includes Japan.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Anyone with a sensible head on their shoulders should be a little more than uneasy when a narcissistic, ego-driven maniac reality TV star with zero political experience to speak of is placed in such a position of immense power to deal with a situation like North Korea. The only consolation in this I find are those surrounding Trump who are the voice of moderation and sense. I don't find fault with Trump's stance towards NK necessarily (that being he's sick and tired of so many years of failed policy), only in his methodology. He's a bully who is brash and doesn't much seem to take any consideration into his actions and statements. He's filled to the brim with braggadocio and seems to be a man with something to prove.

I think we're currently far more at risk of a full-blown confrontation than we've ever been with NK. Either the years will pass with empty small dick syndrome man children posturing with their fingers floating above the nuclear launch button, or it will eventually be pressed (or actions occur that will lead to it). Kim Jong Un and Trump is a terrifying combination and a recipe for disaster.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Miyomatic

@kod: Ok so you kind of went on a slight rant there, care to tell me more of these ‘planned bombings on Americans’ by the CIA?

I’ve never heard of such a thing, so you must understand my skepticism when claims are made about a country wanting to bomb their own people only to blame another country for it. What purpose would that serve?

As for Americans ‘fearing bombings for no reason’, I think 9/11 would serve as a reason for many along with other terrorist attacks that have occured around the world. Granted, these incidents don’t involve nuclear weapons, but to act as though those fears are completely unfounded is a bit of a stretch.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KOD

@Miyomatic said:

@kod: Ok so you kind of went on a slight rant there, care to tell me more of these ‘planned bombings on Americans’ by the CIA?

I’ve never heard of such a thing, so you must understand my skepticism when claims are made about a country wanting to bomb their own people only to blame another country for it. What purpose would that serve?

As for Americans ‘fearing bombings for no reason’, I think 9/11 would serve as a reason for many along with other terrorist attacks that have occured around the world. Granted, these incidents don’t involve nuclear weapons, but to act as though those fears are completely unfounded is a bit of a stretch.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92662

Its been declassified, but i went with an older ABC link to avoid any questioning of websites. If you're willing to look, you can find the declassified prints on a .gov site, but a lots redacted.

"What purpose would that serve?"

It was to justify military action against Castro.

@Miyomatic said:

@kod: As for Americans ‘fearing bombings for no reason’, I think 9/11 would serve as a reason for many along with other terrorist attacks that have occured around the world. Granted, these incidents don’t involve nuclear weapons, but to act as though those fears are completely unfounded is a bit of a stretch.

The question is what is a realistic fear and what is an irrational fear. You want to cite 911. Something that happened 16 years ago in a very small and local area of a massive country. 1/100th of a pin on a map if you will. Going by this, at best we can say that the only targets would be those in major metropolitan areas. So area wise, that means what? 95% of the country should not have these concerns? But if you're in a major metropolitan area, is it a rational fear? Happens what? Once every 15 years, give or take a few years. Generally kills fractions of a percent of a population........ Is this a rational fear? Because if we are talking rational fears, i can list 1000 things to be far more concerned with and that require a better response than what we've given them, while this response to terrorism has been the actions of a dictatorship.