Monuments continue to be vandalized: Oldest Christopher Columbus Monument Destroyed

• 118 results
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Social Justice Warriors sure are great and progressive. Almost as progressive as ISIS when they destroy monuments.

Think this will give us racial and economic justice? Nah... think it'll just make people hate your movement even more.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/21/christopher-columbus-monument-in-baltimore-smashed/

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

The left has gone off the rails. God help us all.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

I actually don't mind this.

Columbus and his history has been heavily revised and we falsely (and for propaganda reasons) present him as some great founder of America or the Western world. His name deserves to be in the history books, but we shouldn't have statues of him for a multitude of reasons. I think their reasoning is actually on par here.

If they start tearing down the founding fathers that will be a different story.

@Gaming-Planet said:

Social Justice Warriors sure are great and progressive. Almost as progressive as ISIS when they destroy monuments.

Or the Berlin wall...... Saddam's statue....general mao..... the list goes on and on and there does seem to be a theme here yes? The people in the right are tearing these down, those building them are always in the wrong. And for arguments sake, we've havent forgotten Mao, the Berlin wall or Saddam.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Columbus was a pretty awful guy and the reasons for remembering him are fairly dubious. Are you upset because of the vandalism or that it is Columbus? Would imply that you're against any standing statue being torn down, vandalized, or destroyed?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gaming-Planet
@kod said:

Columbus and his history has been heavily revised and we falsely (and for propaganda reasons) present him as some great founder of America or the Western world. His name deserves to be in the history books, but we shouldn't have statues of him for a multitude of reasons. I think their reasoning is actually on par here.

You don't mind people being uncivilized? Just petition it to have it moved into a museum. Not that hard. Why are people so ashamed of their history? You must hate reality that much.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gaming-Planet
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Columbus was a pretty awful guy and the reasons for remembering him are fairly dubious. Are you upset because of the vandalism or that it is Columbus? Would imply that you're against any standing statue being torn down, vandalized, or destroyed?

The vandalism. I'm a first generation American. I hold very little history to the US.

Just put it in a museum where I can listen to a recording about him along with his monument.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

So basically this is his idea of human evolution.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoolaHoopMan

@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The vandalism. I'm a first generation American. I hold very little history to the US.

Just put it in a museum where I can listen to a recording about him along with his monument.

If you believe that all vandalism is bad, then that's fine. Your logic would be consistent I'd expect you to be against vandalism of any statue (Hitler, Stalin, the Kim family, etc).

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gaming-Planet
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

If you believe that all vandalism is bad, then that's fine. Your logic would be consistent I'd expect you to be against vandalism of any statue (Hitler, Stalin, the Kim family, etc).

Yes. Symbolic things don't offend me.

I like to see the ugliness of history. In a sense, this is history happening right now. Another ugly time. They are now what some would call as ruins.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gaming-Planet
@uninspiredcup said:

Burning books and giving rise to the ancient city of Thule.

Loading Video...

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KOD

@Gaming-Planet said:
@kod said:

You don't mind people being uncivilized? Just petition it to have it moved into a museum. Not that hard. Why are people so ashamed of their history? You must hate reality that much.

Youre missing the symbolism of it and why it matters to people.

We could have brought in construction crews to tear down the Berlin wall or Saddams statue, (Saddams statue could have gone to a museum right?) but they didnt and they didnt becasue its important that the people do this. Its them taking back power from lies or oppression.

@Gaming-Planet said:

Why are people so ashamed of their history? You must hate reality that much.

Because some people are sane and recognize that we need to learn from history and not coddle, lie, protect lies/bigots/the powerful. If you're so interested in accurate history and what to be ashamed of or not, than maybe you should look into what we do know CC did versus what we were all taught in school for the past century and then maybe consider why a statue of him is a statue of a lie and that its not a good thing to perpetuate that lie.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gaming-Planet
@kod said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@kod said:

Youre missing the symbolism of it and why it matters to people.

We could have brought in construction crews to tear down the Berlin wall or Saddams statue, (Saddams statue could have gone to a museum right?) but they didnt and they didnt becasue its important that the people do this. Its them taking back power from lies or oppression.

@Gaming-Planet said:

Why are people so ashamed of their history? You must hate reality that much.

Because some people are sane and recognize that we need to learn from history and not coddle, lie, protect lies/bigots/the powerful. If you're so interested in accurate history and what to be ashamed of or not, than maybe you should look into what we do know CC did versus what we were all taught in school for the past century and then maybe consider why a statue of him is a statue of a lie and that its not a good thing to perpetuate that lie.

False equivalence. These monuments weren't a problem until the media made them into a problem.

Then people were like "oh, now I have something to be offended about and I can now LARP as a revolutionist."

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HoolaHoopMan

@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Yes. Symbolic things don't offend me.

I like to see the ugliness of history. In a sense, this is history happening right now. Another ugly time. They are now what some would call as ruins.

Granted you'd like to see the ugliness of history in a museum like you've stated, but what happens when this isn't the case and said history is being paraded in public as a sign of veneration?

I'd only caution that it's far different when these figures stand as oppressive symbols to people in today's society, especially in situations when the legal avenues of removal are not providing effective. Would you similarly call for a city of Jews to be OK with a statue of Hitler in their public square when all attempts to legally remove the statue have stalled? Context with solidarity often turns these situations into shades of grey when your idyllic version of historic preservation doesn't seem available.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Burning books and giving rise to the ancient city of Thule.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster"

- extremely pretentious quote

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KOD

@Gaming-Planet said:

False equivalence. These monuments weren't a problem until the media made them into a problem.

Then people were like "oh, now I have something to be offended about and I can now LARP as a revolutionist."

Ive been alive for over 35 years and i cannot remember a single point when confederate BS and Columbus BS was not a problem. And i know before i was born there was the civil rights that had its up's and down's for about 30 years, and these things were issues then as well.... so... yah.

That aside, you proclaiming "false equivalency" (which its not, its perfectly in line) and than ignoring why these things are happening is you ignoring the problem and reality.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N64DD

The responses in this thread makes me sad for my country.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Man this guy knows everything.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Gaming-Planet: I saw some guy got arrested by a park ranger for attempting to blow up a statue... News said he could face 40 years in prison. I don't think people understand the consequences for destroying govt property.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N64DD

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@n64dd said:

The right destroyed the track.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 N64DD

@foxhound_fox said:
@n64dd said:

You're Canadian.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@n64dd said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@n64dd said:

You're Canadian.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Social Justice Warriors sure are great and progressive.

Columbus really was a terrible person, and what he is most known for he didn't even do! The US should have more statues of Leif Erikson if we want to pay tribute to those who founded America.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@n64dd said:

Not even remotely the same, but nice try. Maybe Young Conservatives will post better memes next time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Removing the history of a society, will eventually ruin completely society. As the shown history in large degree works as the social glue, remove it, and different population groups will likely splinter.

I have no real love for any statues or monuments from the US, frankly the US history does not really matter a lot to me, given that I am not a US citizen.

But I do know that trying to whitewash or even remove history, which this sure seems a step towards only leads to history repeating itself. If said society even survives it.

I find it rather odd, that people complain about how x statue offends someone, let me let you in on a little secret. Most people who had statues raised in their name did great things or was a symbol of something, this means that most people who has a statue have done horrible things to someone. Most great deeds had an opponent group that lost.

Though time most heroes will indeed be seen as villains. I can hardly remember a statue I've seen, of someone who never wronged a group of people..

So should we just erase the past of our society?

As stated, I do not know more about Columbus then I was taught briefly back in public school, long ago. But this seems like a series of really bad ideas, What if the majority of the local population likes said statue? You are simply going to enforce your will upon them? With what right do anyone have to dictate the will of the local majority?

No this is more of the symptoms that the US has become very sick. That the extreme sides have come to dictate the discourse and actions.

I have visited concentration camps, statues of Stalin, and Nazi bunkers, all left intact in order to make people remember history. There are reasons for them. I doubt Columbus was a good person, after all he likely did some "great" things, and thus did a lot of harm.

I am sorry but this stinks of people thinking they have the "right" not to be offended. Frankly most people does not ever have such a luxury. And to veil this under "class struggle" is pretty freaking wrong.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

So no Thanksgiving this year? My daughter goes to Robert E. Lee elementary, which apparently is bad now... Christopher Columbus is bad now too? We should just call out everything we think is bad now(even if it is or isn't depending on who you ask) and if we don't like it, tear it down! I'm being sarcastic of course. I hope these people get jail time. Three sports teams in Tampa just paid to remove a statue and relocate it... Classy act and the right way to do it, legally.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HoolaHoopMan

@n64dd said:

The responses in this thread makes me sad for my country.

Start another thread citing inforwars, I'm sure that'll cheer you up.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

And the left goes even further into the batshit crazy rabbit hole, why am I not surprised?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

I dont agree with the methods but I agree with the outcome.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@n64dd said:

The further the left go off the rails the better it is.

normal people will see how sick the far-left is and oppose it.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bullet_Sponge
Member since 2003 • 3579 Posts

This is limited to the online world (for the most part), but it seems like the people most concerned with removing statues because it will "erase" history have an incredibly limited understanding of that same history. Weird.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@kod said:

i would agree with this. if it of historical significance, keep it in a museum. hell, auction it off to a private collector if someone is willing to pay for it.

if you want it removed though, go through proper legal channels. you might not get what you want immediately though. don't just vandalize like an asshole.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin: You know removing a statue doesn't erase history. Such histrionics.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

The people who defend these monuments are the same people that revise history to their liking.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Social Justice Warriors sure are great and progressive.

Columbus really was a terrible person, and what he is most known for he didn't even do! The US should have more statues of Leif Erikson if we want to pay tribute to those who founded America.

Spongebob had the right idea. lol

Loading Video...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@n64dd said:

You're Canadian.

A perfectly valid response.

@Maddie_Larkin said:

No this is more of the symptoms that the US has become very sick. That the extreme sides have come to dictate the discourse and actions.

Is no one in media or a politician willing to point this out?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@kod said:

i would agree with this. if it of historical significance, keep it in a museum. hell, auction it off to a private collector if someone is willing to pay for it.

if you want it removed though, go through proper legal channels. you might not get what you want immediately though. don't just vandalize like an asshole.

I totally agree. If the American revolutionaries want to have their taxes lowered, they should have petitioned the king and went through the proper legal channels. Obviously King George would have listened.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

Angela Rye from CNN has called for Washington and Jefferson monuments to be removed saw this title while skimming through youtube recommendations.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

The Berlin Wall was mentioned and I wonder how many realize parts of it still exist and why it still exists.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KOD

@Solaryellow said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

The Berlin Wall was mentioned and I wonder how many realize parts of it still exist and why it still exists.

Entirely irrelevant to the point made.

Since you missed it, ill repeat it. This is an event the people need to take part in doing because its symbolic of them taking power back, removing power, removing corruption, etc.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Gaming-Planet:

For the record though, Columbus was an asshole who deserves no sympathy. So...what?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solaryellow

@kod said:
@Solaryellow said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

You brought up the Wall being torn down. I'm not sorry you don't like how/why parts remain.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@comp_atkins said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@kod said:

I totally agree. If the American revolutionaries want to have their taxes lowered, they should have petitioned the king and went through the proper legal channels. Obviously King George would have listened.

no offense but this is a stupid comparison.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Solaryellow said:
@kod said:

You brought up the Wall being torn down. I'm not sorry you don't like how/why parts remain.

The wall is still up for historical purposes and is a legitimate artifact of the cold war. Mass-produced statues that are essentially worthless and only put up to glorify slavery and intimidate black people isn't even remotely the same. Maybe you'd have a point if people in Leipzig and Dresden were erecting statues to Honecker.

Context and nuance is key.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I don't like the vandalism of monuments of people who accomplished great things. Columbus deserves recognition, even if he wasn't a good person. Robert E. Lee never really accomplished anything, and a lot of the confederate monuments were erected during the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 60s. These monuments are really just monuments to racism. There is no reason to maintain them.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

Columbus, the Spaniards, and early colonists contributed to more deaths then the Nazi Holocaust. I'm starting to think that the social conservatives value their nostalgia more than their supposedly superior "morals". Or maybe morality only applies when the target is Christian. Not sure here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: You do know the proverb "out of sight out of mind" I trust?

In fact what other reason is there for tearing down statues and monuments down in not for that exact reason? It is not like there are any legit reason for it in any way shape or form.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KOD

@Solaryellow said:

At this point you're intentionally ignoring the point.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Solaryellow

@perfect_blue said:

The wall is still up for historical purposes and is a legitimate artifact of the cold war. Mass-produced statues that are essentially worthless and only put up to glorify slavery and intimidate black people isn't even remotely the same. Maybe you'd have a point if people in Leipzig and Dresden were erecting statues to Honecker.

Context and nuance is key.

While you might feel these monuments are worthless, I assure you many do not subscribe to your interpretation. Those who feel intimidated (I'm guessing you do too) over a monument commemorating a person/event have other issues needing addressing, IMO. You do know not every commemoration was done with malice and ill will, right? Context and nuance? If you understood what those words meant we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edit: How do you feel about United States coinage honoring the losers of the civil war? Should we have to destroy those as well? How about stamps?

These memorials/statues, stamps, coins, etc.., have historical purposes too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Solaryellow said:

While you might feel these monuments are worthless, I assure you many do not subscribe to your interpretation. Those who feel intimidated (I'm guessing you do too) over a monument commemorating a person/event have other issues needing addressing, IMO. You do know not every commemoration was done with malice and ill will, right? Context and nuance? If you understood what those words meant we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edit: How do you feel about United States coinage honoring the losers of the civil war? Should we have to destroy those as well? How about stamps?

These memorials/statues, stamps, coins, etc.., have historical purposes too.

Okay, two can play at that game: while others might feel the the monuments aren't worthless, I assure you many do not subscribe to that interpretation.

You already lost if you have to pull the "it's subjective!" crap. Great way to show your "argument" (that's putting it lightly) is such a piece of crap you can't even properly defend it lol you're a joke.