mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Net neutrality violates the First Amendment, he said, because the regulation “infringes on the internet service providers’ editorial discretion.”

Some legal experts believe Kavanaugh’s First Amendment argument against net neutrality could be applied to data more broadly, and possibly pit him against current and potential data privacy regulations.

According to Christopher Sprigman, a law professor at New York University who authored an amicus brief submitted to the D.C. Circuit in favor of net neutrality, Kavanaugh's argument that ISPs have a First Amendment right to determine what data they transmit implies that the data itself is speech.

If that is the case, he said, then the providers could argue that selling user data to advertisers counts as “speech” also protected by the First Amendment. If that argument were accepted by the court, there would be an additional hurdle to enacting data privacy regulation.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/12/trump-scotus-kavanaugh-isps-first-amendment-rights.html

This is a fun argument.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

should the post office open and read every letter they transport around to exercise their first amendment right of "editorial discretion"?

this seems like a pretty fucking ridiculous stance to take.

should an utility company be awarded "editorial discretion" over what types of electrical equipment people hook up in their homes because it is using the current the utility is supplying?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

should the post office open and read every letter they transport around to exercise their first amendment right of "editorial discretion"?

I'd agree with that........selling personal data has nothing to do with free speech.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@comp_atkins said:

Should we expect anything less from one of Trump's nominees? So far, "pretty fucking ridiculous" seems to be Gorsuch's modus operandi.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Of course the nominated would be all pro corporations...

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

Net neutrality violates the First Amendment, he said, because the regulation “infringes on the internet service providers’ editorial discretion.”

Some legal experts believe Kavanaugh’s First Amendment argument against net neutrality could be applied to data more broadly, and possibly pit him against current and potential data privacy regulations.

According to Christopher Sprigman, a law professor at New York University who authored an amicus brief submitted to the D.C. Circuit in favor of net neutrality, Kavanaugh's argument that ISPs have a First Amendment right to determine what data they transmit implies that the data itself is speech.

If that is the case, he said, then the providers could argue that selling user data to advertisers counts as “speech” also protected by the First Amendment. If that argument were accepted by the court, there would be an additional hurdle to enacting data privacy regulation.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/12/trump-scotus-kavanaugh-isps-first-amendment-rights.html

This is a fun argument.

thats a bit like saying the water company turning off your water is making an editorial decision.

ISPs are the pipes, not the water

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@tryit: Stop trying to act smart :P

I'm wondering how I can speak Steam or uPlay.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@tryit said:
@mattbbpl said:

This is a fun argument.

thats a bit like saying the water company turning off your water is making an editorial decision.

Well, if you don´t pay the water bill, your water will get turned off.

But while I do not agree with Kavanaugh on this subject, his pedigree is still spotless and he will take the spot this coming October.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@mattbbpl said:

This is a fun argument.

Well, if you don´t pay the water bill, your water will get turned off.

ABSOLUTLY TRUE!

but that is not 'editorial discretion.' did you not read the first sentence in the OP?

the implication is that they could turn off your water for ANY reason

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

This is a fun argument.

The inmates are running the asylum.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl

@n64dd: I like this case as a thought exercise more than most people, I think. It plays on two important principles: The first is that one's freedom's can be impeded by parties other than the government, and the second is that "your liberty to swing your fist ends where my nose begins," which is a truism of law.

The principle cited by Kavanaugh here grants increased speech rights (assuming we grant him his widened definition of speech) to the owners of infrastructure specifically by allowing them to reduce similar liberties to users of that infrastructure.

The past several years I've grown very concerned about the granting of these types of liberties to those with the most powerful microphones and hammers at the expense of those with less power. The balance was already out of whack, and we're intent on growing the divide.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N64DD
@mattbbpl said:

@n64dd: I like this case as a thought exercise more than most people, I think. It plays on two important principles: The first is that one's freedom's can be impeded by parties other than the government, and the second is that "your liberty to swing your fist ends where my nose begins," which is a truism of law.

The principle cited by Kavanaugh here grants increased speech rights (assuming we grant him his widened definition of speech) to the owners of infrastructure specifically by allowing them to reduce similar liberties to users of that infrastructure.

The past several years I've grown very concerned about the granting of these types of liberties to those with the most powerful microphones and hammers at the expense of those with less power. The balance was already out of whack, and we're intent on growing the divide.

It seems like every year they slip in more bullshit.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

Well, first here you are either by default giving ISP´s common-carrier status or you are neglecting that as a private company the free speech rule does not apply.

Also, Kavanaugh's argument is not so much to grant speech rights but as to deny the common-carrier status to ISP´s, a common-carrier is under much stricter regulations. Also, there is much more to his argument than simply a free speech issue.

As he states several times, the opposition to the net-neutrality as it was done by the Obama administration FCC, is that that Congress has not made a clear and precise authorisation which

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

This is selling out the constitution.

Despicable.

*I think it's also pretty obvious that by allowing this, they are also allowing ISP's to suppress other people's first amendment rights.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

This is the kind of stupid crap that happens when you consider corporations to be people.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Well, first here you are either by default giving ISP´s common-carrier status or you are neglecting that as a private company the free speech rule does not apply.

Also, Kavanaugh's argument is not so much to grant speech rights but as to deny the common-carrier status to ISP´s, a common-carrier is under much stricter regulations. Also, there is much more to his argument than simply a free speech issue.

As he states several times, the opposition to the net-neutrality as it was done by the Obama administration FCC, is that that Congress has not made a clear and precise authorisation which

So let the infrastructure for internet to be owned by the public then?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

That would be against the free market principal, also it would cost a fortune.

But ISP´s are yet to be common-carrier / Utility So the ISP can like GameSpot remove any user they see fit.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

But ISP´s are yet to be common-carrier / Utility So the ISP can like GameSpot remove any user they see fit.

And yet plenty of infrastructure is public. Roads, telephone phone poles, etc. Free markets don't always give us the biggest bang for our buck when it comes to delivering every service/product possible.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

They should be though. Internet access is as essential to modern life as electricity, phone service, and running water. In many cases it is not even possible to pay bills without internet access.

The people in our government are either so old and out of touch that they don't realize this. Or they are getting bribes from telecoms. Or both. Yet another example of why we need much younger politicians.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

And yet plenty of infrastructure is public. Roads, telephone phone poles, etc. Free markets don't always give us the biggest bang for our buck when it comes to delivering every service/product possible.

Sure, but the internet is a bit different since it´s not considered a Utility.

Also considering the state of many public roads you think that government-run utilities are a good thing? the same thing would be true about the internet, the government does not have the same incentive for expansion and improving as a private company.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Also considering the state of many public roads you think that government-run utilities are a good thing? the same thing would be true about the internet, the government does not have the same incentive for expansion and improving as a private company.

I absolutely DO think that public roads are a better than private roads through and through. If you want to talk about the current state of the internet, I do think we could use some government intervention to clamp down on these monstrous telecommunication companies. We currently have monopolies and there's a reason that Comcast, Time Warner, and AT&T are ranked annually as the most hated companies in the US.

The government does have incentive for expansion on utilities, just look at the interstate highway system. It was designed, funded, and built by the government. This flies completely in the face of your assumption that the government can't create.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Given how important internet is today. Should the highway it uses be privately owned?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Given how important internet is today. Should the highway it uses be privately owned?

Of course, it benefits more by private companies owning it than a government.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

I absolutely DO think that public roads are a better than private roads through and through. If you want to talk about the current state of the internet, I do think we could use some government intervention to clamp down on these monstrous telecommunication companies. We currently have monopolies and there's a reason that Comcast, Time Warner, and AT&T are ranked annually as the most hated companies in the US.

The government does have incentive for expansion on utilities, just look at the interstate highway system. It was designed, funded, and built by the government. This flies completely in the face of your assumption that the government can't create.

As to the roads, Potholeshighways are a bit different since it carries us all, but you know why the state government in many states have given "road franchises", it´s asimplematter of cost. The government can´t spend the amount that it requires to maintain and keep the current highway system up to spec, that is why many roads are in such terrible condition.

And I do not think the internet is in such a bad state, Google is moving fast and in major cities, they have a superior internet to anything the government would ever be able to do. Also, a government-run utility is subject to government regulation and also control, and do you really want uncle sam to know all your little dirty secrets, at least Google and Amazon is only using it to display ads and sell to ad companies.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

However given it importance, it should not be strictly regulated? To prevent abuse of it?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

However given it importance, it should not be strictly regulated? To prevent abuse of it?

Not really , things like GDPR and Net-Neutrality are a nuiance to the freedom that is the internet.

Not to mention article 13 that the EU tried to pass.

Or are you for those things?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

As to the roads, Potholeshighways are a bit different since it carries us all, but you know why the state government in many states have given "road franchises", it´s asimplematter of cost. The government can´t spend the amount that it requires to maintain and keep the current highway system up to spec, that is why many roads are in such terrible condition.

And I do not think the internet is in such a bad state, Google is moving fast and in major cities, they have a superior internet to anything the government would ever be able to do. Also, a government-run utility is subject to government regulation and also control, and do you really want uncle sam to know all your little dirty secrets, at least Google and Amazon is only using it to display ads and sell to ad companies.

The problem you're describing with roads is funding, not ability then. Shocking that some people want to have their cake and eat it to, welcome to America where people like things but hate paying for them.

But I'm digressing, the original point is that the government does have a stake in utilities and public infrastructure since it's directly tied to commerce.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Not really , things like GDPR and Net-Neutrality are a nuiance to the freedom that is the internet.

In favour of GDPR and net neutrality, but not article 13.

How free is your internet if you can only use it at the mercy of a larger company that can block you simply because they don't like you?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

In favour of GDPR and net neutrality, but not article 13.

How free is your internet if you can only use it at the mercy of a larger company that can block you simply because they don't like you?

Well, how is that any different from Gamespot blocking a user? or any different from a restaurant asking a customer to leave because they simply don´t like the employer the person has?

GDPR is a disgrace and only limits the internet´s freedom, you know how many Americans/non-eu visitors while on holiday in Europe have been blocked from visiting even simple news sites.

Didn´t know you were for chinese conditions.

Also, you know the reason behind GDPR? it´s all about money and control.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Well, how is that any different from Gamespot blocking a user? or any different from a restaurant asking a customer to leave because they simply don´t like the employer the person has?

GDPR is a disgrace and only limits the internet´s freedom, you know how many Americans/non-eu visitors while on holiday in Europe have been blocked from visiting even simple news sites.

Didn´t know you were for chinese conditions.

Also, you know the reason behind GDPR? it´s all about money and control.

And removal of net neutrality is not about money?

And how is it different from GS blocking a user? Well more and more, having internet access is like being able to use the roads that leads up to your house. It's infrastructure needed for the society we live in today. Not equal to going to the restaurant for dinner. The latter being a privilege.

And what is wrong with GDPR? The right to be forgotten? The right to access whatever data a company has on you? You're calling this Chinese conditions. Do you even know what Chinese conditions would be in this case?

Edit: Since you think having internet access is equal to being a member at GS... I could ban you as an practical experiment. See how it compares.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk: "the government does not have the same incentive for expansion and improving as a private company."

Ironically, in many cases the government has a greater incentive for expansion and improvement. Prominent examples include the post office, rural roads, and telecommunications networks.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk: "Not really , things like GDPR and Net-Neutrality are a nuiance to the freedom that is the internet."

Net neutrality is a nuisance to the freedom of the internet? Oh man...

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@mattbbpl: All of them losing millions of dollars or in such poor shape its an embarrassment. The less the government runs the better it is for all of us.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl

@vfighter: I specifically mentioned tose things because they simply wouldn't reach a significant portion of the population if they were in private control as the markets would not be profitable.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Especially when there's the question of impeding speech/access to information. Imagine if a television conglomerate, for instance, covered up all stories relating to an environmental disaster in order to protect oil companies. There are rules preventing monopolization of the airwaves like that (though they are being weakened). This is perhaps even more significant. An internet provider could stifle all news stories and information relating to issues it didn't want covered (say, whether or not internet companies should be regulated). They reach far more people, and could effectively shut off the internet for large segments of society. imagine if, say, Woodward and Bernstein had been prevented from printing anything related to Watergate or if war reporters were prevented from showing footage of what was actually going on in Vietnam. That's potentially the sort of censorship we're looking at here.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N64DD
@theone86 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Especially when there's the question of impeding speech/access to information. Imagine if a television conglomerate, for instance, covered up all stories relating to an environmental disaster in order to protect oil companies. There are rules preventing monopolization of the airwaves like that (though they are being weakened). This is perhaps even more significant. An internet provider could stifle all news stories and information relating to issues it didn't want covered (say, whether or not internet companies should be regulated). They reach far more people, and could effectively shut off the internet for large segments of society. imagine if, say, Woodward and Bernstein had been prevented from printing anything related to Watergate or if war reporters were prevented from showing footage of what was actually going on in Vietnam. That's potentially the sort of censorship we're looking at here.

I actually agree with you for once.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@theone86 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Imagine if Gamespot censured "free speech" oh wait there is no such thing as free speech when it comes to private companies. So ISP´s do not have a free speech requirement if an ISP wanted to censor like they were China nr. 2 , no one on earth could come and argue they are against the constitution.

So you are arguing on the basis of a false premise, NBC could if they wanted to stop any news they do not like and it would be perfectly ok.

You may not like it, and others may not like it but the only proper response is with your wallet not complaining that they are somehow against the law. Not even if the internet became a utility could you argue that they somehow had to abide by the 1st amendment. Same goes for Facebook and Twitter or any other social media platform.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: "the government does not have the same incentive for expansion and improving as a private company."

Ironically, in many cases the government has a greater incentive for expansion and improvement. Prominent examples include the post office, rural roads, and telecommunications networks.

That is a false premise there Matt and you know it.

Sure the Government have an interest in the voters have access, but the government do not have any competition, so do you really think they would expand beyond the basic ? Especially when they have to come and defend their use of taxpayers money.

Also if you want real life examples, look at Venezuela or Russia or look at Europe where pretty much across the board, the governments have sold off their "companies"

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86
@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Imagine if Gamespot censured "free speech" oh wait there is no such thing as free speech when it comes to private companies. So ISP´s do not have a free speech requirement if an ISP wanted to censor like they were China nr. 2 , no one on earth could come and argue they are against the constitution.

So you are arguing on the basis of a false premise, NBC could if they wanted to stop any news they do not like and it would be perfectly ok.

You may not like it, and others may not like it but the only proper response is with your wallet not complaining that they are somehow against the law. Not even if the internet became a utility could you argue that they somehow had to abide by the 1st amendment. Same goes for Facebook and Twitter or any other social media platform.

Yes, but Gamespot is far different from the internet. There are, in fact, regulations and decisions that put radio and television in a different category than, say, a specialty forum, because those two regulate the flow of information to the public and monopolization and/or censorship of that flow would represent a far greater threat to free speech than censoring specialty forum. It is pretty obvious that the internet as a whole is far closer to the former than the latter. In fact, seeing how Gamespot is a subset of the internet, comparing censorship on Gamespot to censorship on the internet is completely faulty, a valid comparison would be censorship on Gamespot to censorship on, say, Fox. No one is arguing that they don't have a right to prevent their selective viewpoint, but if the entire medium of television were monopolized by that viewpoint that would be a problem. It's similar with the internet, but to an even greater degree. It would be functionally impossible for broadcast television, for example, to provide every possible slant on every possible piece of information. It is completely possible with the internet, though, and one of the features of the internet is that you can find literally any piece of information with any slant on it you want. If ISPs get to decide what information is valid and what isn't, that goes away. The internet as we know it goes away. The access to information we've become so accustomed to goes away. That is a threat to free speech comparable to two companies buying all the airwaves and restricting the programs which are aired.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By N64DD
@theone86 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Yes, but Gamespot is far different from the internet. There are, in fact, regulations and decisions that put radio and television in a different category than, say, a specialty forum, because those two regulate the flow of information to the public and monopolization and/or censorship of that flow would represent a far greater threat to free speech than censoring specialty forum. It is pretty obvious that the internet as a whole is far closer to the former than the latter. In fact, seeing how Gamespot is a subset of the internet, comparing censorship on Gamespot to censorship on the internet is completely faulty, a valid comparison would be censorship on Gamespot to censorship on, say, Fox. No one is arguing that they don't have a right to prevent their selective viewpoint, but if the entire medium of television were monopolized by that viewpoint that would be a problem. It's similar with the internet, but to an even greater degree. It would be functionally impossible for broadcast television, for example, to provide every possible slant on every possible piece of information. It is completely possible with the internet, though, and one of the features of the internet is that you can find literally any piece of information with any slant on it you want. If ISPs get to decide what information is valid and what isn't, that goes away. The internet as we know it goes away. The access to information we've become so accustomed to goes away. That is a threat to free speech comparable to two companies buying all the airwaves and restricting the programs which are aired.

Do you think it's overstepping for the government to regulate what a company can and cannot do in that respect?

I'm on your side with this one btw.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jacanuk

@theone86 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Well, first we are not talking about censoring the "internet" but we are talking about censoring access. Same as with Gamespot, they are not censoring opinions, they are censoring who they want on their website. The same principle can be used on ISP´s and is being used by ISP´s. As you know no private company are required to abide by "free speech" there is no such thing, The FCC merely regulates who can get a licence and who if they wish to get a license, have to abide by certain rules.

And the Internet as we know is going away, look at Europe, more and more freedom is being taken away in the name of "privacy" when in fact all it does it make it easier to stop the free flow of information.

The same thing is luckily not as common in the US yet, and while net neutrality is an issue, luckily we can still visit pretty much any site we will (except of course the are blocked on ISP level)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: "Not really , things like GDPR and Net-Neutrality are a nuiance to the freedom that is the internet."

Net neutrality is a nuisance to the freedom of the internet? Oh man...

Well, it´s a nuisance to the free market.

Unless you disagree with the idea that a company should control their own business.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1855 Posts

It’s wrong but it’s bound to happen anyway. If you really care about your privacy you should be using a VPN and encrypted email.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 theone86
@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Well, first we are not talking about censoring the "internet" but we are talking about censoring access. Same as with Gamespot, they are not censoring opinions, they are censoring who they want on their website. The same principle can be used on ISP´s and is being used by ISP´s. As you know no private company are required to abide by "free speech" there is no such thing, The FCC merely regulates who can get a licence and who if they wish to get a license, have to abide by certain rules.

And the Internet as we know is going away, look at Europe, more and more freedom is being taken away in the name of "privacy" when in fact all it does it make it easier to stop the free flow of information.

The same thing is luckily not as common in the US yet, and while net neutrality is an issue, luckily we can still visit pretty much any site we will (except of course the are blocked on ISP level)

So, you're pretty much just ignoring everything I said? Got it, just means you can't make a good counter argument to me, but I already knew that.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk: History proves you wrong again. Electricity and telephone service failed to reach rural areas until government legislation to do so was enacted. Companies like FedEx still use the postal service for last mile delivery to a significant portion of customers because it isn't economical for them to do so.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: History proves you wrong again. Electricity and telephone service failed to reach rural areas until government legislation to do so was enacted. Companies like FedEx still use the postal service for last mile delivery to a significant portion of customers because it isn't economical for them to do so.

This is the irony which is lost on many. They're advocating for a system that would effectively cut them off due to costs.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I came in here to ask one question. Can we the people block this man from office with our vote in November?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

Not sure how you think I was proven wrong? and history have you proven wrong in assuming that there is an incentive to provide anything but the basics. Go look at Europe or go look up google, and see who has provided the best fastest cheapest internet.

The government only has an incentive to provide the basic service, not the best

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Not sure how you think I was proven wrong? and history have you proven wrong in assuming that there is an incentive to provide anything but the basics. Go look at Europe or go look up google, and see who has provided the best fastest cheapest internet.

The government only has an incentive to provide the basic service, not the best

The private marked has only incentive to provide a service if it is profitable.

Edit: Or should I say: The least possible service to the highest cost to the consumer possible.