Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#51 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: History proves you wrong again. Electricity and telephone service failed to reach rural areas until government legislation to do so was enacted. Companies like FedEx still use the postal service for last mile delivery to a significant portion of customers because it isn't economical for them to do so.

Not sure how you think I was proven wrong? and history have you proven wrong in assuming that there is an incentive to provide anything but the basics. Go look at Europe or go look up google, and see who has provided the best fastest cheapest internet.

The government only has an incentive to provide the basic service, not the best

The private marked has only incentive to provide a service if it is profitable.

Edit: Or should I say: The least possible service to the highest cost to the consumer possible.

Yup, but so far do you think the free market is doing bad? how much do you think you would pay for your internet if it was government run? and how fast would it be

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Yup, but so far do you think the free market is doing bad? how much do you think you would pay for your internet if it was government run? and how fast would it be

The free marked has ensured my internet speed being lagging behind by a decade or more. The infrastructure being used is still the same (with some upgrades) that the government built in the 70's and early 80's here.

I know the free marked would not provide essential services to everyone in Norway. Even people living just outside the bigger cities would be facing a lack of a lot of services.

The result of privatizing the electricity grid has resulted in far less money being spent on maintenance and improving it.

Your free marked does not work without plenty of competition. The free marked is never interested in competition. You want it working? Let government split companies that get to big, or take to much of the marked. Have a government that makes sure there is still competition.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#53 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

The free marked has ensured my internet speed being lagging behind by a decade or more. The infrastructure being used is still the same (with some upgrades) that the government built in the 70's and early 80's here.

I know the free marked would not provide essential services to everyone in Norway. Even people living just outside the bigger cities would be facing a lack of a lot of services.

The result of privatizing the electricity grid has resulted in far less money being spent on maintenance and improving it.

Your free marked does not work without plenty of competition. The free marked is never interested in competition. You want it working? Let government split companies that get to big, or take to much of the marked. Have a government that makes sure there is still competition.

Well, that is unfortunate for you, but here the free market has made it possible to pick from several ISP´s, it has provided Fiber and also from my parent's early adopters of the internet price, it has dropped significantly, also now there is free data. They had to pay for GB´s

So I think the problem is more than in some places in remote regions, there is not enough customers to provide an ISP with enough incentive as to the bottom line. Which is unfortunate, but no different in what you would see from a government run.

But we can agree that competition is needed not to mention customers, so the free market is not a golden saviour for all, but it´s far better than any government run business.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Well, that is unfortunate for you, but here the free market has made it possible to pick from several ISP´s, it has provided Fiber and also from my parent's early adopters of the internet price, it has dropped significantly, also now there is free data. They had to pay for GB´s

So I think the problem is more than in some places in remote regions, there is not enough customers to provide an ISP with enough incentive as to the bottom line. Which is unfortunate, but no different in what you would see from a government run.

But we can agree that competition is needed not to mention customers, so the free market is not a golden saviour for all, but it´s far better than any government run business.

We have always had free data in Norway on broadband connections.

The funny thing is, I don't live in a remote place. There is actually thousands of people using the same road as me. It's less than two miles long. Thanks to politicians who could plan for the future (those are rare breed these days) there is also quite decent public transport here.

Yeah competition is needed if you wish to deal with the free marked. But still, if the people in those companies see no reason to improve their services, they are no better than the government you hate running things.

On the plus side with government running something. The demand for profit goes away. They only have to hit zero at the end of the year.