horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127504 Posts
  • On Monday, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban effectively became the world's newest dictator when the country's parliament voted to suspend elections and granted him the power to rule by decree with no time limit.
  • "At this point, Hungary is a full-on dictatorship — no if, ands, or buts. This was simply the last step in the process," Sheri Berman, a political scientist at Barnard College, told Insider.
  • But experts on authoritarianism say that while Hungary presents a particularly concerning case in terms of leaders exploiting the crisis, it is not unique.
  • "Authoritarian leaders, whether in authoritarian regimes (e.g., China and Venezuela) or in (nominal) democracies (e.g., Israel and UK), are using the coronavirus crisis, like most crises, to strengthen their grip on power and weaken dissent and opposition," Cas Mudde, a political scientist at the University of Georgia, told Insider.

The coronavirus pandemic has morphed Hungary into a full-blown authoritarian state, as autocratic leaders around the world are exploiting panic and fear surrounding the virus to consolidate power and dismantle democracy, according to experts.

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Monday was granted sweeping emergency powers by the country's parliament to combat the coronavirus, giving him the right to rule by decree indefinitely (the power to bypass the national assembly) and suspend existing laws. The European Union member has also suspended future elections, effectively eradicating democracy in the country and making Orban the world's newest dictator.

Source

Don't think this is a unique case. It is frankly rather normal.

Orban is hardly unique in terms of using the coronavirus crisis as a means of extending or expanding his rule.

"Authoritarian leaders, whether in authoritarian regimes (e.g., China and Venezuela) or in (nominal) democracies (e.g., Israel and UK), are using the coronavirus crisis, like most crises, to strengthen their grip on power and weaken dissent and opposition," Cas Mudde, a political scientist at the University of Georgia who's an expert on populism, extremism, and democracy, told Insider.

He has used his time efficiently since 2010. Getting the courts already under his rule before this law was enabled.

"Hungary is particularly problematic, as the government has virtually no counterpower and liberal democracy had been largely dismantled in the past decade. Consequently, as Orban now rules by decree, and most courts have already been under his rule, Hungary has become truly an authoritarian state, despite its nominal democratic facade," Mudde added.

Europe is in for some harder times ahead, even when the corona virus situation is out of the window. What you say?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

Not sure what's wrong with some of the people in these countries anymore but dictatorships are not the way to go and all that mean is eventually bloodshed will happen.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Agreed. It has never ended well.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Meh, the Left doesn’t like Hungary because they’re conservative, refuse globalism, patriotic, don’t allow migrants in from certain countries, and hate George Soros. All things leftists aren’t.

I’m not sure if the OP has noticed, but the planet is in the midst of a global pandemic. Quite possibly the worst time for government transition. Especially with an economy as fragile as Hungary.

Personally, I like Hungary and it’s leadership. The West could learn a lesson.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Trump to his advisors upon seeing this: "When can we do this?"

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 horgen  Moderator

@Sevenizz: How does the pandemic excuse dictatorship?

Honestly the only thing I get from your post is that rightwingers wants dictatorships and that’s all they work for.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Sevenizz: Yeah, learn Not what to do during a pandemic.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hungary will not be allowed to continue down this path, but it´s a good test for the EU´s future.

Will, they either ramp up the EUS dreams or will they keep going and allow countries like Poland and Hungary to go down "anti-democratic" .avenues

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p:

@horgen:

Sevenizz is not even remotely serious. He is just a parody account.

This will happen here if we area not careful. Republicans have already been passing laws rolling back our rights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@Sevenizz: I bet you're into funny mustaches.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:

@Sevenizz: How does the pandemic excuse dictatorship?

Honestly the only thing I get from your post is that rightwingers wants dictatorships and that’s all they work for.

Seems that way in the US at least. How else to explain the excuses?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Hungary will not be allowed to continue down this path, but it´s a good test for the EU´s future.

Will, they either ramp up the EUS dreams or will they keep going and allow countries like Poland and Hungary to go down "anti-democratic" .avenues

How will they not be allowed? It's nothing in their own systems that will stop this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

How will they not be allowed? It's nothing in their own systems that will stop this.

The EU has rules and laws that regulate countries. So, of course, the EU can´t stop Hungary for doing what they want, but they can throw them out of the EU.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

The EU has rules and laws that regulate countries. So, of course, the EU can´t stop Hungary for doing what they want, but they can throw them out of the EU.

Throwing them out doesn't change it into democracy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Meh, the Left doesn’t like Hungary because they’re conservative, refuse globalism, patriotic, don’t allow migrants in from certain countries, and hate George Soros. All things leftists aren’t.

I’m not sure if the OP has noticed, but the planet is in the midst of a global pandemic. Quite possibly the worst time for government transition. Especially with an economy as fragile as Hungary.

Way too obvious of an act. Try to work on subtlety if you want to succeed at trolling.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

Trolling I hope because if serious...….wow!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@LJS9502_basic: Trolling. We got a few of them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

No, but did you expect anyone but the Hungarian people to do that?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

Who have just lost their peaceful means to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@horgen Yeah, I'd been reading about Hungary's transition down that path for some time. It's sad to see that democracy can be so vulnerable. But we've seen similar things happen in Turkey, Brazil, and the Phillipines. Even the US has a president who thinks he's a dictator.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

@sonicare: It has been ongoing for the last 10 years. Slowly chipping away democracy, piece by piece.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator

You don't easily revert back from dictatorship...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@diefthyntis said:

Right call. Romans knew that in the time of crisis only way forward is a dictatorship. You need a strong leader who'll tell people what to do. Leadership by committee never works in a time of crisis. Democracy is a nice dream, but reality is that all people are stupid and don't know what's good for them.

Dictators are people and so stupid as well. Also they don't actually care about the people...just the power. And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@diefthyntis said:

Right call. Romans knew that in the time of crisis only way forward is a dictatorship. You need a strong leader who'll tell people what to do. Leadership by committee never works in a time of crisis. Democracy is a nice dream, but reality is that all people are stupid and don't know what's good for them.

Nice troll alt.

redphoenix80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 redphoenix80
Member since 2019 • 45 Posts

@horgen:

I am not shocked. It's not hard to see that when 17 times more people died of the flu, even though we allegedly have flu vaccines (that never work) no one cared. This feels like an orchestrated effort to enact total control over the people of all countries. I am not surprised. This is an attempt at micromanaging everyone. I don't think it will end well for the various leaders though. I will not be surprised to see the rise of World Civil Wars I, in which the wars are the people against the governments. I have been predicting this for a few years and I think this is the beginning right here, right now. If America does not get things back to normal soon it's going to be mayhem.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator

@redphoenix80: Are you living under a rock?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@horgen: Since you are a mod, can you see if he is an alt?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@thegreatchomp: It got the markings of one before doing any check at all. Doesn’t mean it is though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@horgen: Might not, that’s why I asked. His posts are very similar to another poster here.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

This is you:

Loading Video...

That's you. You're Anakin (the Hayden Christenson Anakin, not the cool Clone Wars Anakin). You going to bitch about sand next? It's so coarse and leftist!?!?!

Get a grip man, you're literally saying you're OK with dictatorships.

@sonicare said:

@horgen Yeah, I'd been reading about Hungary's transition down that path for some time. It's sad to see that democracy can be so vulnerable. But we've seen similar things happen in Turkey, Brazil, and the Phillipines. Even the US has a president who thinks he's a dictator.

I don't even want to think about that. I know we have certain checks and balances in effect to stop stuff like dictatorships from happening, but we've all seen the lengths the GOP (and the Democrats, to an extent) are willing to go of late.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@diefthyntis: oh look everyone. Another shock posting alt.

Blocked

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sevenizz

@mrbojangles25: Except, it’s not a dictatorship - not even close. They’re suspending elections due to the current global crisis. That is all.

Just because some wacky leftists overblow the situation to fit their narrative, doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@Sevenizz: He’s trying to become one, yes. You’re clueless.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

Who have just lost their peaceful means to do so.

Sure, but what else than expel Hungary from the EU, which btw will mean a ton of money lost, since Hungary is the recipient of a lot more funds than they have to pay to the EU.

Can they do? you hopefully don´t suggest the EU (with no military) goes into Hungary and depose a democratically elected official.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sevenizz

@leicam6: Let me guess, you’re a liberal, right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@Sevenizz: No, but you’re a fake troll.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@Sevenizz: What a nice compliment.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator

@Sevenizz said:

@mrbojangles25: Except, it’s not a dictatorship - not even close. They’re suspending elections due to the current global crisis. That is all.

Just because some wacky leftists overblow the situation to fit their narrative, doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

Suspending them forever if they want to.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sevenizz

@horgen: I’m guessing you have no clue how parliamentary politics work.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 horgen  Moderator

@Sevenizz said:

@horgen: I’m guessing you have no clue how parliamentary politics work.

There is no time limit on the current law that suspends the elections. Viktor Orban rules by decree, not by going through parliament.

How can a country be democracy if there are no elections? How is it inaccurate to call Hungary a dictatorship now? You throw out claim after claim but never back them up. You're no better than a troll at this point.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@Jacanuk: The EU is tantalisingly close to collapse as it is. Trust me, the EU wont throw Hungary out for doing what the Hungarian parliament thinks is best... o matter how warped these new powers are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@sealionact: Hope not. It has been a great thing for the world. The left needs to protect it.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 horgen  Moderator

@sealionact said:

@Jacanuk: The EU is tantalisingly close to collapse as it is. Trust me, the EU wont throw Hungary out for doing what the Hungarian parliament thinks is best... o matter how warped these new powers are.

You're not living in Europe/EU, are you?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

Going to laugh if Britain had the right idea getting out of the EU.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@mrbojangles25: They didn’t. The UK will go back within the next ten years.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sevenizz

@horgen: This is ridiculous. This is TEMPORARY. Have you seen what the world looks like out there lately? People can’t leave their house. How are they supposed to vote in a fair election? The left are just using this as an opportunity to bash a majority right leaning country. What they should be doing is fixing the hard left liberals who are trying to promote communism. An ideology that strips everyone of every human right and gives complete control over to the government.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 horgen  Moderator

@Sevenizz said:

@horgen: This is ridiculous. This is TEMPORARY. Have you seen what the world looks like out there lately? People can’t leave their house. How are they supposed to vote in a fair election? The left are just using this as an opportunity to bash a majority right leaning country. What they should be doing is fixing the hard left liberals who are trying to promote communism. An ideology that strips everyone of every human right and gives complete control over to the government.

There is absolutely no reason to believe it is temporarily. The law has already been used to tighten the grip around the nation‘s theatres, making sure some changes/building a park in Budapest Is being done despite the people there doesn’t want it.

In 2016 an emergency law was enabled due to immigration crisis. It was supposed to only last 6 months, was prolonged this March because according to the government immigrants still poses a threat. Despite there barely being any immigrants close to the border.

Would you accept that Obama postponed the president election in 2016 due to a pandemic? Postponing it without a date that it would end and the election could be held?