Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

House passes sweeping electoral reform bill

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/433202-house-passes-sweeping-electoral-reform-bill-despite-republican-resistance

I see nothing wrong in it. Very good stuff.

But of course, the evil Turtle won't even let ever happen,

The measure is virtually dead on arrival in the Senate

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has railed against the measure as a “power grab” by Democrats, arguing that it would tweak election laws and procedures in such a way that would benefit the party’s candidates.

I guess they don't want to "Drain the Swamp!".

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I don't see anything wrong other than making Election Day a national holiday for federal workers. They already get almost every single imaginable holiday off. How about they work like the rest of us?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I love this bill. Which is why it will never see the light of day.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Mitch McTurtle has already rejected the possibility of the senate even voting on it. What a douche.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I support the major changes in the bill. Unsurprising the GOP doesn't because it empowers voter turnout.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan

@sonicare said:

I don't see anything wrong other than making Election Day a national holiday for federal workers. They already get almost every single imaginable holiday off. How about they work like the rest of us?

What are these 'imaginable' holidays that workers get off? A handful each year? What if they made election day a Saturday? I don't think it's unimaginable to ask for a single holiday every two years to promote civic duty in selecting representation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@sonicare said:

What are these 'imaginable' holidays that workers get off? A handful each year? What if they made election day a Saturday? I don't think it's unimaginable to ask for a single holiday every two years to promote civic duty in selecting representation.

They get over 10 holiday days a year. Those arent imaginable. and you don't need a day off to vote. Take some god damn responsibility for your country.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoolaHoopMan

@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@sonicare said:

They get over 10 holiday days a year. Those arent imaginable. and you don't need a day off to vote. Take some god damn responsibility for your country.

I would argue that giving them the holiday IS the responsible thing to do if it empowers people to vote. You're arguing about an extra day every two years, or like I said, make it a Saturday/Sunday. Would you be OK with moving it forward 2 days?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@sonicare said:

Aren't employers in several states able to give those employed long days around the voting period with threats of being fired if they miss any work?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl

McCarthy claims it will undermine elections.

“This bill is a massive federal government takeover that would undermine the integrity of our elections,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said Friday, the Times reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-democrats-pass-sweeping-voting-rights-bill

I wonder why?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

“This bill is a massive federal government takeover that would undermine the integrity of our elections,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said Friday, the Times reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-democrats-pass-sweeping-voting-rights-bill

I wonder why?

I like this quote from the article

This bill is nothing but a bill that is for loading billions of billions of dollars into the coffers of members of Congress."

Like isn't that done effectively enough already? And given the little said about the bill in the article, absolutely nothing backs it up.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@zaryia said:

The measure is virtually dead on arrival in the Senate

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has railed against the measure as a “power grab” by Democrats, arguing that it would tweak election laws and procedures in such a way that would benefit the party’s candidates.

Yes, likely by removing gerrymandering, allowing a more proportional representation of voters actually electing the people they want in office. Because Republicans know their power base is waning and need to do everything, including cheating the system, to stay in office.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl

@horgen said:
@mattbbpl said:

I wonder why?

This bill is nothing but a bill that is for loading billions of billions of dollars into the coffers of members of Congress."

Like isn't that done effectively enough already? And given the little said about the bill in the article, absolutely nothing backs it up.

Yeah, this is the standard FUD that we see from someone who doesn't like something but has no legitimate arguments against it. They might as well start claiming that it will institute Death Panels.

What's sad is the strategy works.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: people have plenty of chances to vote without it being a holiday. No thanks making it a holiday.

Now, day after the super bowl? That should be a homiday!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

Yeah, this is the standard FUD that we see from someone who doesn't like something but has no legitimate arguments against it. They might as well start claiming that it will institute Death Panels.

Maybe that is the next thing the Dems should do. But you know. As punishment for crimes. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@sonicare said:

I would argue that giving them the holiday IS the responsible thing to do if it empowers people to vote. You're arguing about an extra day every two years, or like I said, make it a Saturday/Sunday. Would you be OK with moving it forward 2 days?

I'd be fine with having elections on the weekend. Whatever is easiest.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

@sonicare said:

I'd be fine with having elections on the weekend. Whatever is easiest.

What about those poor federal employees that have to work on the weekend??? O=

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

Why do reps call this a power grab by the dems if they think that dem voters are unemployed welfare queens to begin with? Wouldn't a voting day holiday provide reps more votes as their voters are "hard working 'muricans"? Sounds like Mitch is full of shit no matter how you look at it, lol, not to mention that not wanting more people to be able to vote easier is undemocratic in the first place.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan

@Chutebox said:

@HoolaHoopMan: people have plenty of chances to vote without it being a holiday. No thanks making it a holiday.

I absolutely disagree.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@horgen said:

For reason people get worked up at the notion of making it easier to vote. As if that somehow hurts them in some manner.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator

@HoolaHoopMan said:

For reason people get worked up at the notion of making it easier to vote. As if that somehow hurts them in some manner.

Their vote means less.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HoolaHoopMan

@horgen said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Their vote means less.

We've already got a system of government in place that ensures that some votes mean more than others. But putting up roadblocks, or balking at the notion of making it 'easier' to vote when the cost associated with implementing measures, is almost zero? That screams resentment to me.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator

@HoolaHoopMan said:

We've already got a system of government in place that ensures that some votes mean more than others. But putting up roadblocks, or balking at the notion of making it 'easier' to vote when the cost associated with implementing measures, is almost zero? That screams resentment to me.

The more people able to vote (and actually vote) the less my vote means.

US have a history of treating voting rights as a privilege. And some are less privileged than others. US politicians pick their voters. Honestly what do you expect out of it?

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@rmpumper said:

Why do reps call this a power grab by the dems if they think that dem voters are unemployed welfare queens to begin with? Wouldn't a voting day holiday provide reps more votes as their voters are "hard working 'muricans"? Sounds like Mitch is full of shit no matter how you look at it, lol, not to mention that not wanting more people to be able to vote easier is undemocratic in the first place.

The next bill will be we will pay you for your vote. The Dems already do that. It would just be made legal.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@JimB said:
@rmpumper said:

The next bill will be we will pay you for your vote. The Dems already do that. It would just be made legal.

This is what we call a 'slippery slope' fallacy. lol