Have you ever experienced a major ideological shift?

• 66 results
JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:

Was a conservative/right-winger in high school but then I went to university and education and the real world turned me far left.

We're talking American Politics.

Even in the US education turns you off conservatism.

You call what we have education in our schools?

15 years of religious private education and still ended up liberal.

go figure.

Too bad Liberalism does't work. It never has and it must be imposed at the point of a gun.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@JimB said:

Too bad Liberalism does't work. It never has and it must be imposed at the point of a gun.

As opposed to conservationism?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

@jun_aka_pekto: You're lucky. I've had friends go bankrupt due to political decisions. Another was kicked out of his home and had to be taken in by his sister.

These things do have repercussions, and sometimes they are significant

I had a few relatives get laid off in the past due to the economic times. But, the rest of us pooled together what we can spare and buoyed up our unfortunate kin until they recovered. It wasn't always easy. But, it's good to know I'll have kin propping me up should I fall into hard times.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I've always been quite the radical centrist.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts
@Gaming-Planet said:

I've always been quite the radical centrist.

EDIT: Libertarian republican right now.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

Conservative until GWB, now a Democrat. I realized there is no “small government” party. Plus the right wing base is crazy. Tea Party, Evangelicals, and now the Alt-Right. All nuts. A large block of this country seems to think winning means “things are bad for me so I’ll make them worse for you”.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#57 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@balaminienbgs said:

In Junior high I was a Monarchist who thought to die for Queen and country would be an honor, than in high school after meeting a German girl who I was obsessed with, I became obsessed with Imperial Germany, then the Nazi party (but with a hatred for Adolf Hitler, fantasizing about going back in time and replacing him or overthrowing him). When I went to a film school in Toronto I became obssessed with a pan-sexual LGBT supporter, so I became a communist supporter, I was there only a short while til I failed the Clown Class at The Toronto Film School. Since heading back home, I've become poor, am living off EIA and have been mulling with the idea of becoming homeless on the west coast or starting an online business.

I suggest you focus on making money, nothing better than being a capitalist.

I guess 5 years ago i was a center democrat, now i'm a too the left left democrat.

I believe in legalizing all drugs, prostitution, euthanasia and a capital gains tax. But also, banning all guns and the death penalty.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I guess... Grew up thinking I'm one way because that's what my family is, but as soon as I started thinking for myself I'm not what I thought. I don't know if you can consider that a change though, more like a realization.

These days though, I haven't changed but, I don't know where I belong because I just see the side I considered myself to be on descend into madness.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I was an ideological youngster who was very left-wing on pretty much everything. However, with maturity, education and time, I realized that heavily leftist positions on fiscal issues within a country, usually lead to just as many problems as ultra-conservatism. I really haven't changed much on social issues, and remain quite heavily left in that regard.

There is not a single Canadian political party I have ever felt drawn towards. In fact, since I was able to vote, across each level of government (civic, provincial or federal) I've voted for each of the four major Canadian political parties (PC, LIB, NDP and Green) at some point.

I'm just glad Stephen Harper isn't Prime Minister anymore. He was borderline religious nutjob, but hid it well. I'm also very glad he refused to reopen the abortion debate despite a lot of his ultra-religious party members desperately wanting it to happen.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I used to be super liberal and progressive when I was younger.

I've changed to be a conservative because as my ability to think in scientific and logic terms increased I started understanding the shallowness and arbitrary behavior of progressivism and started becoming increasingly detached and disillusioned of its outrage-fueled, incoherent and myopic world vision.

I'd say the tipping point happened when the gay rights movement became a thing and I was called a bigot for saying that churches shouldn't be forced to give out weddings just because you want them to, while instead states should absolutely make civil unions a thing with the same civil privileges and rights as a marriage. Apparently that counts as "being against gay rights" and warranted ostracization.

Leftist causes since then have been increasingly degenerate and detached from reality. The whole "Resist Trump" and "white privilege" things we have today are eerily disturbing to me in how fanciful they are.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

Was pretty liberal during my youth but now I ride straight through the middle only leaning either way depending on the issues. I also became a british nationalist past 5 years or so. Seeing the country go down the drain is depressing.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#62 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Always was left leaning. When I was young my musical heroes were either gay or gay icons (Brandon Flowers, Morrissey, Bowie), so that introduced me to social issues early on. I'd say i'm still very liberal. My views: Everyone gets healthcare and everyone gets a college education through tax increase. But I am not anti-capitalism, and I am wary about raising the minimum wage drastically over short periods of time.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

If you are on one "side" or another, you are doing it wrong. Thoughtful people should see the crazy in either party, along with the good.

That said...the right side is FAR more insane at the moment, and it's scary as America really is being torn apart by itself. It's not just the crazy, fringe right policies...nor is it the personality of the worst Potus in history.

It's the partisanship that's the real long term problem...what are the left going to be when Trumps administration is finished? Or would Trump even relinquish power? He's taken a lot of steps to become the Authoritarian he wants to be, and I wouldn't be surprised at some kind of attempt to stay in power.

Either way...we'll all die, or come back to the middle at some point. Hopefully it's the latter.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@kittennose said:
@JimB said:

Most people left alone tend to be more conservative. Liberalism goes against human nature.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@JimB said:
@kittennose said:
@JimB said:

Most people left alone tend to be more conservative. Liberalism goes against human nature.

Ah so you admit the draw of conservatism is selfishness.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@JimB said:

Define conservatism for me then? Every brand I have ever seen is imposed at the point of a gun.