Given the fact that public education is open to all, is the electoral college necessary?

• 79 results
Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

or better or not is irrelevant since it's just what it is: An opinion.

Hmm, so only a opinion no actually plan.

So here is another one, just get rid of the election all together, and let the majority leader in the house be the president. That way no one will cry if they lose and every state has a equal vote..

I'm sorry but what's the issue here again?

I stated my opinion and that's it. Is that offensive to you?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Your last paragraph seems to indicate a support for literacy tests on voting which is independent of the reasoning behind the electoral system. You can still have a 'mob' vote for a representative which would in turn cast votes in an electoral manner, so the two ideas you're bringing up don't seem to aim for the same end result.

I'm not suggesting for a literacy test, and I know that wasn't the primary purpose of the electoral college. Although those that oppose it should take it into consideration. There is a correlation between ignorance and violence after all, and mobs tend to be violence when their demands aren't met.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Gaming-Planet
@tjandmia said:

It's a stupid, antiquated system that once again demonstrates how backwards the U.S. compared to the rest of the world. In order for every vote to count, the electoral college needs to be abolished, or states at least need to pass laws requiring electors to vote for the popular vote winner. It's absurd.

Then the US would be more of a direct democracy. although still in snail pace when it comes to separation of power.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

or better or not is irrelevant since it's just what it is: An opinion.

Hmm, so only a opinion no actually plan.

So here is another one, just get rid of the election all together, and let the majority leader in the house be the president. That way no one will cry if they lose and every state has a equal vote..

I'm sorry but what's the issue here again?

I stated my opinion and that's it. Is that offensive to you?

Why would it be offensive? You have one, i have one and every other person int he world have one.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@tjandmia said:

It's a stupid, antiquated system that once again demonstrates how backwards the U.S. compared to the rest of the world. In order for every vote to count, the electoral college needs to be abolished, or states at least need to pass laws requiring electors to vote for the popular vote winner. It's absurd.

Then the US would be more of a direct democracy. although still in snail pace when it comes to separation of power.

If every vote is to count, we need to follow the popular vote in presidential elections. No way around it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:

@drunk_pi: that would not work. Winner takes all is decided by the state it self. Most states choose that because it is the most inpactful in the election. To suddenly stop that is a violation of states rights.

And, as a result, the state overrides the voters.

No the state does not over ride the voters.. The voters can put into the state legislative to who EVER THEY WANT.. And their representatives decided that way because it ensures they have the GREATEST impact for the presidential election.

When California goes Democratic, the Republican vote didn't matter. When Texas goes Republican, the Democratic vote doesn't matter. The winner-takes-all system discourages voting and gives a false perception.

Not going to agree or disagree, the fact of the matter is you can't arbitrary decide on how states wish to do their electoral college.. They have their choice and most decided to go with this pluralistic system.

Are you that dense? Lets say California sees a voter turnout of 51%. 1,000,000 vote Democratic and 959,931 vote Republican. Guess what happens? California's electoral points all go to the Democratic candidate? Is that fair to the 959,931 Republican voters whose voices have been silenced thanks to the arbitrary system placed during the 1780s because slave-owning states wanted to have a voice to fight against abolitionist efforts?

The electoral system is unfair to both voting blocs and discourages voting from either side. That is a fact. Whether it's "constitutional" or not doesn't make it morally right.

This needs to die.. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with slave states, you are talking about the 3/5's ruling.. This was agreed upon all states when they joined in the union.. Many northern states in fact which were NOT known for large amounts of slavery agreed upon this because they felt that their voice would be drowned out, this was a compromise to small states.. There are numerous small population northern states that did not have massive amounts of slavery, that they were still in favor of this..

This is called a COMPROMISE.. Furthermore the pluralistic system is created not because of teh electoral college but the STATES THEM SELVES.. State governments, which are voted in by the populace, have the POWER to decide how their electoral college votes are divided up.. A handful actually do a split vote (Iowa is one of them I believe) based upon the voting.. Most though decided this pluralistic system, including liberal states that bitch hardest about it like California..

I am sorry but what? Your moral self righteousness is nauseating you are crying about one flawed system, and wish to put another flawed system (with its own set of problems) into place because it suites your political agenda.. Don't come to me and act like you have some moral high ground, you don't. Who exactly is being ethical here? With how much you hate how "unfair" the electoral college is, I will be waiting for your large statement on our LEGISLATIVE branch.. You know the branch of government which has far more impact on our country than the electoral college when it comes to policy in which the representation is decided the EXACT SAME way..

So yet again all this is pointless crying not actually looking for a better solution.. SO I state again if people are this bothered with how the electoral college is done, why haven't you gone after our legislative branch representation with the house and senate?? There are states that have a greater impact in our politics with a far smaller population in this branch.. And actually push forward policy that impact the entire nation far more than electoral college has..

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Drunk_PI

@sSubZerOo said:

This needs to die.. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with slave states, you are talking about the 3/5's ruling.. This was agreed upon all states when they joined in the union.. Many northern states in fact which were NOT known for large amounts of slavery agreed upon this because they felt that their voice would be drowned out, this was a compromise to small states.. There are numerous small population northern states that did not have massive amounts of slavery, that they were still in favor of this..

This is called a COMPROMISE.. Furthermore the pluralistic system is created not because of teh electoral college but the STATES THEM SELVES.. State governments, which are voted in by the populace, have the POWER to decide how their electoral college votes are divided up.. A handful actually do a split vote (Iowa is one of them I believe) based upon the voting.. Most though decided this pluralistic system, including liberal states that bitch hardest about it like California..

I am sorry but what? Your moral self righteousness is nauseating you are crying about one flawed system, and wish to put another flawed system (with its own set of problems) into place because it suites your political agenda.. Don't come to me and act like you have some moral high ground, you don't. Who exactly is being ethical here? With how much you hate how "unfair" the electoral college is, I will be waiting for your large statement on our LEGISLATIVE branch.. You know the branch of government which has far more impact on our country than the electoral college when it comes to policy in which the representation is decided the EXACT SAME way..

So yet again all this is pointless crying not actually looking for a better solution.. SO I state again if people are this bothered with how the electoral college is done, why haven't you gone after our legislative branch representation with the house and senate?? There are states that have a greater impact in our politics with a far smaller population in this branch.. And actually push forward policy that impact the entire nation far more than electoral college has..

Crying? Moral self-righteousness?

Look who's talking lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Look who's talking lol.

What don't you understand about talking how you want things to change for moral reasons comes off as self righteous?... I rest my case.. You don't have any real solutions, nor do you actually care about finding a real solution in less it suits your political agenda. Thank you for proving my point..

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Drunk_PI

@sSubZerOo said:
@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Look who's talking lol.

What don't you understand about talking how you want things to change for moral reasons comes off as self righteous?... I rest my case.. You don't have any real solutions, nor do you actually care about finding a real solution in less it suits your political agenda. Thank you for proving my point..

So the solution in taking away the "winner-takes-all" system in states is not a solution but rather suits my political agenda? Yeah, sure thing man. Anything that fits your narrow mind.

As much as I think the electoral college is archaic, something that belongs in the history books, I realize that it's not going to go away. My opinion is that the states itself should not be a "winner-take-all" system. In other words, a state's electoral points don't all go to one party. This way, this would encourage voting from both sides and states are now much more competitive. What's your opinion? To keep the system because it fits your political dogma?

For someone who espouses wanting real solutions, you bash the Democratic Party because it doesn't fit your self-righteous so-called "progressive" viewpoints, nevermind that the Democrats are appealing to numerous people depending on the states they represent. Same with Republicans.

If anything, you come off as some self-righteous asshat that bashes liberals and progressives, thinks Muslims are all terrorists who want to spread Sharia law and, quite honestly, I have never seen you criticize any of the Trump supporters that continue to post false and misleading information. It's always the same with you and, quite honestly, I find it hilarious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Look who's talking lol.

So the solution in taking away the "winner-takes-all" system in states is not a solution but rather suits my political agenda? Yeah, sure thing man. Anything that fits your narrow mind.

I explained to you that the winner takes all is decided by states government which are controlled by the populations of the specific state.. If you got a problem with that, go to each state and campaign for a motion vote by the population to change it.. The states are free to decide however they like to divvy up their electoral votes..

As much as I think the electoral college is archaic, something that belongs in the history books, I realize that it's not going to go away. My opinion is that the states itself should not be a "winner-take-all" system. In other words, a state's electoral points don't all go to one party. This way, this would encourage voting from both sides and states are now much more competitive. What's your opinion? To keep the system because it fits your political dogma?

Whats my political dogma exactly? I am not right wing, I do not like President Trump or the republican establishment.. I am all for changing the electoral college if we can find a better way to do it.. Going to direct democracy is not that way, it creates a whole new set of problems in which is why the electoral college was founded to begin with.. It takes into account population ON TOP OF a set 2 vote electoral count as a compromise.. Meaning large states still get a larger say, but smaller states still have some say.

For someone who espouses wanting real solutions, you bash the Democratic Party because it doesn't fit your self-righteous so-called "progressive" viewpoints,

What does this have anything to do with the electoral college? I was pointing out that you were coming off as self rightous in this argument, as some how your solution was "right".

nevermind that the Democrats are appealing to numerous people depending on the states they represent. Same with Republicans.

Ok and? What part of the word "COMPROMISE" do you not understand? This was a COMPROMISE, not every voice is going to be heard, that is just reality.. I am completely open to actually REAL solutions..

If anything, you come off as some self-righteous asshat that bashes liberals and progressives, thinks Muslims are all terrorists who want to spread Sharia law and, quite honestly, I have never seen you criticize any of the Trump supporters that continue to post false and misleading information. It's always the same with you and, quite honestly, I find it hilarious.

I am sorry but who here is coming off as emotional again? And I thought this was about the electoral college? You can't even stay on topic nor answer my question to what you would do to the legislative branch.. A far more powerful part of our government than the electoral that operates extremely similar in representation. Why are you bringing up Trump? Or Islam? What does this have anything to do with what is being discussed?

I say again what would you do to solve this? And if this is such a huge problem why haven't you talked about the legislative branch? How would you change the representation of the legislative branch?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Your last paragraph seems to indicate a support for literacy tests on voting which is independent of the reasoning behind the electoral system. You can still have a 'mob' vote for a representative which would in turn cast votes in an electoral manner, so the two ideas you're bringing up don't seem to aim for the same end result.

I'm not suggesting for a literacy test, and I know that wasn't the primary purpose of the electoral college. Although those that oppose it should take it into consideration. There is a correlation between ignorance and violence after all, and mobs tend to be violence when their demands aren't met.

And who gets to decide who/what is ignorant? You? Someone else in power?

I understand completely what we're saying but if you're scared of an ignorant mob voting someone into power then look no further than the US, we just did that. But in this case, the ignorant mob was given the weightier voting option BECAUSE of the electoral system. The greatest indicator separating Trump vs Hillary voters was education.

If the system was set up to prevent these situations then it clearly isn't working as intended.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Drunk_PI

@sSubZerOo said:

tion in less it suits your political agenda. Thank you for proving my point..

I explained to you that the winner takes all is decided by states government which are controlled by the populations of the specific state.. If you got a problem with that, go to each state and campaign for a motion vote by the population to change it.. The states are free to decide however they like to divvy up their electoral votes..

Whats my political dogma exactly? I am not right wing, I do not like President Trump or the republican establishment.. I am all for changing the electoral college if we can find a better way to do it.. Going to direct democracy is not that way, it creates a whole new set of problems in which is why the electoral college was founded to begin with.. It takes into account population ON TOP OF a set 2 vote electoral count as a compromise.. Meaning large states still get a larger say, but smaller states still have some say.

For someone who espouses wanting real solutions, you bash the Democratic Party because it doesn't fit your self-righteous so-called "progressive" viewpoints,

What does this have anything to do with the electoral college? I was pointing out that you were coming off as self rightous in this argument, as some how your solution was "right".

nevermind that the Democrats are appealing to numerous people depending on the states they represent. Same with Republicans.

Ok and? What part of the word "COMPROMISE" do you not understand? This was a COMPROMISE, not every voice is going to be heard, that is just reality.. I am completely open to actually REAL solutions..

I am sorry but who here is coming off as emotional again? And I thought this was about the electoral college? You can't even stay on topic nor answer my question to what you would do to the legislative branch.. A far more powerful part of our government than the electoral that operates extremely similar in representation.

It's a fucking opinion.

It's not like anyone else offered any of their opinions other than, "lol the electoral college is great because Trump won MAGA!" or "the electoral college sucks because Trump won with the minority vote." If I came out as if I was "right" it's because I have to explain it numerous times that it's an "opinion." Do I think it's a great idea? Yeah sure thing, I don't know. I'm not a big fan of, say, California's 55 electoral points going to Clinton because California decided to count the majority vote. Did the minority vote count? Nope. And that is a problem. Same with other states throughout the union. It gives a false perception of the state and discourages voting but also makes it less competitive, depending on the state. That's my opinion.

It's like asking what you think about Transformers, you think it sucks, and then me responding, "oh why don't you go to Hollywood and slap Michael Bay around so he stops making Transformers movies." The logic makes no sense and I don't know what you want exactly from me, which is why I find your whole post to be incredibly random and out of nowhere.

What is your solution? Or your opinion regarding the electoral college? Do you have one? I know you said you wanted to change it but what is a realistic solution in your opinion?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@drunk_pi said:
@sSubZerOo said:

tion in less it suits your political agenda. Thank you for proving my point..

I am sorry but who here is coming off as emotional again? And I thought this was about the electoral college? You can't even stay on topic nor answer my question to what you would do to the legislative branch.. A far more powerful part of our government than the electoral that operates extremely similar in representation.

It's a fucking opinion.

It's not like anyone else offered any of their opinions other than, "lol the electoral college is great because Trump won MAGA!" or "the electoral college sucks because Trump won with the minority vote." If I came out as if I was "right" it's because I have to explain it numerous times that it's an "opinion." Do I think it's a great idea? Yeah sure thing, I don't know. I'm not a big fan of, say, California's 55 electoral points going to Clinton because California decided to count the majority vote. Did the minority vote count? Nope. And that is a problem. Same with other states throughout the union. It gives a false perception of the state and discourages voting but also makes it less competitive, depending on the state. That's my opinion.

It's like asking what you think about Transformers, you think it sucks, and then me responding, "oh why don't you go to Hollywood and slap Michael Bay around so he stops making Transformers movies." The logic makes no sense and I don't know what you want exactly from me, which is why I find your whole post to be incredibly random and out of nowhere.

What is your solution? Or your opinion regarding the electoral college? Do you have one? I know you said you wanted to change it but what is a realistic solution in your opinion?

I honestly don't know how to fix it.. The electoral college was put in place in agreement for states rights when they joined the union.. And from the get go it was seen as a compromise of the two of States rights vs population to begin with.. So simply turning it to direct democracy would go directly to the very thing that was attempted to be avoided to begin with.. A person far smarter ( I am most certainly not one of those people) would need to come up with a solution because to call into question the electoral college would open up a whole can of worms.. For a multitude of reasons.

First reason would be that many states joined the union originally due to this compromise agreement.. lt suddenly change it would violate that agreement of the founding.. And could argue is a violation of states rights.

Second reason is the fact people seem to completely ignore the legislative branch.. Smaller states get greater representation in pushing policy that have far more power than the electoral college.. Each state gets two senators.. And every state is given at least 1 representative.. Those two senators in say a state of less than 1 million are wielding as much power as California's two senators of 50 million.. To say that the electoral college should be done away with woudl also call into question the dismantling of one of our three major branches of government in how representation is decided..

This is a incredibly complex issue with no clear solutions that can be decided in a few sentences.. We need only look at how other democracies conduct their government to see how they too have their own set of problems that are unique and only different from ours..

The only thing I will say is I am voicing my frustration of threads like this with their myopic solutions based completely around current events that unfolded over anything else. And as the partisan discourse takes over the west, no solution is going to make people happy.. We have people in Great Britain protesting with Brexit because they can't accept direct democracy vote in which their position did not win, so now they want to change it.. How is that any different from this?

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@ruthaford_jive said:

@Gaming-Planet: So... are you essentially asking if pure mob rule would be a good idea? No, it wouldn't.

It already exists in the form of the electoral college as states go fully Republican or Democrat regardless of how close the vote goes in those states.

It's enjoyable when people who defend the electoral college argue that it's all about state's rights or it's to avoid mob rule when the electoral college already does that and the fact that a, in our history, five presidents have been elected with the minority vote.

While this may not seem like a huge issue, those five presidents have been unpopular from the election to the end of their presidency.

"It already exists in the form of the electoral college..."

I'm assuming by 'it' you mean 'mob rule' here.

No, it doesn't.

The electoral college is the opposite of mob rule, that was the point behind it. The electoral college has it's problems, but it's the system we got and it works. Nothing is going to be perfect, alright. We will not at some point reach this pinnacle of voting perfection, ever... because we're human, and anything we make will inherently be flawed. The only reason most people are bitching about the electoral college now is because Hillary lost. If she won, the Republicans would be doing the same damned thing. We don't need to get rid of it, we just need to learn how to be less sore losers and accept who won, and hope (and work for) our candidate winning next time. It's called a republic, it's how it works. Your 'team' doesn't always win. Do a better job campaigning, or more preferably, pick less horrible candidates that people actually want to vote for.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Drunk_PI

@ruthaford_jive said:
@drunk_pi said:
@ruthaford_jive said:

@Gaming-Planet: So... are you essentially asking if pure mob rule would be a good idea? No, it wouldn't.

It already exists in the form of the electoral college as states go fully Republican or Democrat regardless of how close the vote goes in those states.

It's enjoyable when people who defend the electoral college argue that it's all about state's rights or it's to avoid mob rule when the electoral college already does that and the fact that a, in our history, five presidents have been elected with the minority vote.

While this may not seem like a huge issue, those five presidents have been unpopular from the election to the end of their presidency.

No, it doesn't.

The electoral college is the opposite of mob rule, that was the point behind it. The electoral college has it's problems, but it's the system we got and it works. Nothing is going to be perfect, alright. We will not at some point reach this pinnacle of voting perfection, ever... because we're human, and anything we make will inherently be flawed. The only reason most people are bitching about the electoral college now is because Hillary lost. If she won, the Republicans would be doing the same damned thing. We don't need to get rid of it, we just need to learn how to be less sore losers and accept who won, and hope (and work for) our candidate winning next time. It's called a republic, it's how it works. Your 'team' doesn't always win. Do a better job campaigning, or more preferably, pick less horrible candidates that people actually want to vote for.

So if California's electoral points go to the Democratic candidate, did the Republican vote count? No.

That's mob rule.

Also, not everything is about Clinton vs Trump, nor has it ever been. The electoral college has always been problematic and heavily flawed as it discourages voting.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Gaming-Planet
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I understand completely what we're saying but if you're scared of an ignorant mob voting someone into power then look no further than the US, we just did that. But in this case, the ignorant mob was given the weightier voting option BECAUSE of the electoral system. The greatest indicator separating Trump vs Hillary voters was education.

If the system was set up to prevent these situations then it clearly isn't working as intended.

We may have had a mod rule reaction but it's temporary. House gets 2 year term, senate loses 1/3 seats every 2 years, and another possible president in 4 years. Kinda makes it harder to keep that mob rule.

Who gets to decide who these rules? The framers and anti-federalists did. They feared tyranny. Blame the British for creating that culture.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@ruthaford_jive said:
@drunk_pi said:
@ruthaford_jive said:

No, it doesn't.

So if California's electoral points go to the Democratic candidate, did the Republican vote count? No.

That's mob rule.

Also, not everything is about Clinton vs Trump, nor has it ever been. The electoral college has always been problematic and heavily flawed as it discourages voting.

No idea why you think that. Particular not when you consider some of the key states vote tally and how small a margin Trump won with.

If anything that encourage voting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:

That's mob rule.

No idea why you think that. Particular not when you consider some of the key states vote tally and how small a margin Trump won with.

No it does not encourage voting. One of the reasons people say their vote doesn't count. Anyone interested in a democracy shouldn't be a fan of the electoral college. It's also the reason we can't get any new parties off the ground. It was instituted when not everyone had the right to vote. It's time is over.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:

That's mob rule.

No it does not encourage voting. One of the reasons people say their vote doesn't count. Anyone interested in a democracy shouldn't be a fan of the electoral college. It's also the reason we can't get any new parties off the ground. It was instituted when not everyone had the right to vote. It's time is over.

Clearly you are speaking out of a misunderstanding, so let me try again

How big a margin did Trump win with in the key states? total tally was around 70.000 votes in 3 key states meaning that each individual's vote counts, if the democrats had gotten of their fat butts and had gone to the voting booths , they could have won.

Also it´s united STATES of America , not America the single California nation.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:

That's mob rule.

How big a margin did Trump win with in the key states? total tally was around 70.000 votes in 3 key states meaning that each individual's vote counts, if the democrats had gotten of their fat butts and had gone to the voting booths , they could have won.

You do have some sparks such as the election of Obama and Trump but overall, voter participation is down. Whether it's the Democrats or the Republican's fault is irrelevant.

But when we're talking about California, we're also talking about Texas. We're also talking about the Republican voters in safe blue states as well as Democratic voters in safe red states. It's all the states in the union and it's hypocritical to defend the electoral college as a means to fight against populism nevermind that it relies on winning the majority vote from certain states and disregarding the minority vote. It's still populist in nature.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh for fucks sake I'm tired of that argument. It's just shows no understanding of the reason Congress was set up as it is. To give votes to states. There is no need to skew the vote for president.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Awww...babies didn't get their president so everything has to change because whaaaaaaa my person didn't win!!!!!!!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh for fucks sake I'm tired of that argument. It's just shows no understanding of the reason Congress was set up as it is. To give votes to states. There is no need to skew the vote for president.

Then why do you support a skewing in favor of 1-2 states? the whole argument you have is just ignorant when you won´t even acknowledge that the only reason why Clinton got the popular vote was because of 1 single state. _Without that state counting 49 states Clinton lost by a million.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23926 Posts

Well said, I agree with what you said 100%.

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Then why do you support a skewing in favor of 1-2 states? the whole argument you have is just ignorant when you won´t even acknowledge that the only reason why Clinton got the popular vote was because of 1 single state. _Without that state counting 49 states Clinton lost by a million.

That is what the congress is for. Let the president be voted in by popular vote. No need to skew everything in the democracy.

And while I am at it, it is extremely likely the electoral college increases voter apathy. I know several americans who couldnt be arsed going to the polls, because ultimately they would be counted in anyways, either for a candidate they dont like or one they do like.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jacanuk

@Maroxad said:

Well said, I agree with what you said 100%.

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

That is what the congress is for. Let the president be voted in by popular vote. No need to skew everything in the democracy.

And while I am at it, it is extremely likely the electoral college increases voter apathy. I know several americans who couldnt be arsed going to the polls, because ultimately they would be counted in anyways, either for a candidate they dont like or one they do like.

Let me guess, most of those people who don't vote are democrats.

But as iv said, let the president be decided by who ever get the majority in the house. Easy and we will avoid liberals crying every time they lose a election because the lazy "snowflakes" can´t bother to go and vote.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

@drunk_pi:

@drunk_pi said:
@ruthaford_jive said:
@drunk_pi said:
@ruthaford_jive said:

No, it doesn't.

That's mob rule.

False. Mod rule is a pure democracy, which would not work well. One states votes going to a particular candidate because that candidate won that state is a specific system, namely the Electoral College, which isn't mob rule.

And yes the electoral college has problems, but it only comes to the forefront (as far as the country goes) after elections when someone loses and can't handle that loss. It's the equivalent of wanting to toss the monopoly board over because they lost.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

We may have had a mod rule reaction but it's temporary. House gets 2 year term, senate loses 1/3 seats every 2 years, and another possible president in 4 years. Kinda makes it harder to keep that mob rule.

Who gets to decide who these rules? The framers and anti-federalists did. They feared tyranny. Blame the British for creating that culture.

Bolded: I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at by bringing up term lengths as they are irrelevant to the original point of your OP. If anything this line makes even less sense considering senators/representatives don't have term limits like a president does. Mobs can certainly vote these guys in time and time again in a simple majority take all election. So you're OK with simple majority votes on representatives/senators but not the president....but the president is the only position bound by term limits? You're simply contradicting yourself.

Secondly, I was referring to what constitutes 'ignorance' in a modern day setting. You don't have to get literal with a rhetorical question. I understand who wrote the constitution.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Reform the electoral college so that it's no longer a "winner take all" system. (ex: instead of New York going fully blue, X goes to Democrats and Y goes to Republicans).

Also, make voting mandatory and have days designated just for voting. We have the lowest voter turnout, especially in state and local elections. As a result, the representatives that are suppose to represent us, don't. By increasing turnout, candidates have a reason to be more competitive and it's no longer about campaigning in certain states or districts.

That's my two cents.

I like this. But mandatory voting is unconstitutional. I think if voting was incentivized that would get the same result. For instance if U.S. gave $15 to all voters at the poll I bet turnout would dramatically increase.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@ad1x2: you do realize President Trump advocates for the abolition of the electoral college? I'm quite sure he doesn't hate himself.