Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Well, considering that we are all gamers I am sure everyone knows who Richard Garriott is and that he has been to space on his own dime and also been exploring the earth from north to south.

So an interesting debate :D

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I do not know who Richard Garriott is actually but I will look it him to try and understand why I am supposed to know who he is

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

I do not know who Richard Garriott is actually but I will look it him to try and understand why I am supposed to know who he is

Wait you are a gamer right?

He is the developer of the Ultima series, Tabula Rasa and most recently an indie MMORPG and former owner of Origin Systems the maker of Ultima Online

And he is also the owner of the only castle in Austin Tx and the guy who spent his fortune on going into space.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

He is the developer of the Ultima series, Tabula Rasa and most recently an indie MMORPG and former owner of Origin Systems the maker of Ultima Online

And he is also the owner of the only castle in Austin Tx and the guy who spent his fortune on going into space.

I have no idea if I am a gamer or not.

Many here say I am not for various reasons and I really dont care if I am or not.I just know I play what are called 'games' for 15-20 hours a week for about 36 years most every week.I do not however, dry hump developers, I just care about the games, not who the developers are

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Many here say I am not for various reasons and I really dont care if I am or not.I just know I play what are called 'games' for 15-20 hours a week for about 36 years most every week.I do not however, dry hump developers, I just care about the games, not who the developers are

Ok, guess we are all different.

But ya is a pretty well-known developer for some mainly because he made one of the first MMORPG which became a big thing around the same time as EverQuest.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Ok, guess we are all different.

But ya is a pretty well-known developer for some mainly because he made one of the first MMORPG which became a big thing around the same time as EverQuest.

yeah I know the game in question and I heard a story about that developer wanting to go into space and having made a newer game but I dont know his name or follow that much.

Unlike many 'gamers' I really do not follow game developers that much, its not important to me, just the game. I guess that makes me not a gamer which is also fine..whatever.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

yeah I know the game in question and I heard a story about that developer wanting to go into space and having made a newer game but I dont know his name or follow that much.

Unlike many 'gamers' I really do not follow game developers that much, its not important to me, just the game. I guess that makes me not a gamer which is also fine..whatever.

Well, I do not know all developers but you notice the guys who made a splash. Like Garriott, Andy Gavin, Levine and of course Molyneux

But anyways enough games, the thread was mainly about the insane debate.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Well, I do not know all developers but you notice the guys who made a splash. Like Garriott, Andy Gavin, Levine and of course Molyneux

case in point, I dont know any of those names that you just listed

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

lol ok

Well, Gavin made Crash Bandicoot with his small studio you may have heard of Naughty Dog., Levine is, of course, the famous Bioshock who in his last game bankrupted his studio because he was insane, and Molyneux is Fable, Black & White and Godus.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

He spent our money going into space. Asshole took the money from Tabula Rasa and went to space with it :( That game could have been really great, it was great, just needed some love.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacanuk

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

He spent our money going into space. Asshole took the money from Tabula Rasa and went to space with it :( That game could have been really great, it was great, just needed some love.

Think he spent the money he got from the sale of Origin systems but come on if you had the chance, wouldn´t you go to space ?

And ya Tabula Rasa promised a lot but I think NCsoft ruined it by imposing insane deadlines and their crazy Korean ideas on it. a shame he chose to leave and go do Shroud instead.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

My heart says no, but my dick says yes.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

lol same. no clue who any of those ppl are.

i'm the same w/ movies/ tv shows, etc.. don't give a crap who made them, just care if i enjoy them.

on topic, i think this FE guy has it backwards.. first came the observations, then came the theory of the movements that FITS the observations.
anyway, this guy just seems very ignorant of a lot of basic subject matter.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

How nuts do you have to be to believe the Earth is flat? That's what I want to know.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

Why don't these flat earthers just get on a boat and take pictures and videos showing the edge of the earth?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Tryit is such a free spirit.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@DigitalNoodle: Lol good question. I'm sure they'll have some bullsh*t reason why the "edge" has never been found.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Apparently the edges are ice walls.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01

@phbz: Lol, well that explains it then.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Is it a debate? Is it REALLY?

It's generally someone who is ignorant and not half as smart as they (and their cohorts) think they are vs. pretty much everyone else with an ounce of common sense and scientific understanding.

To his credit, "Flat Earth Andrew" held his composure which is generally where the flat earthers fail; they make their arguments with too much passion, too much anger, and a total lack of logic and facts (duh), but Andrew kept calm for most of it (except for the Andy part lol).

Richard Garriott of course came out rationally and destroyed the flat earther, albeit civilly.

The hosts definitely seemed biased, though, very chummy with Garriott and cynical towards Andrew

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's generally someone who is ignorant and not half as smart as they (and their cohorts) think they are vs. pretty much everyone else with an ounce of common sense and scientific understanding.

To his credit, "Flat Earth Andrew" held his composure which is generally where the flat earthers fail; they make their arguments with too much passion, too much anger, and a total lack of logic and facts (duh), but Andrew kept calm for most of it (except for the Andy part lol).

Richard Garriott of course came out rationally and destroyed the flat earther, albeit civilly.

The hosts definitely seemed biased, though, very chummy with Garriott and cynical towards Andrew

Yup, from what I gather from the video this is not the first time those two have bumped heads and it seems like the host really dislike the guy.

But yea it was a rational debate from Garriott

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yea. Wasn't keen on that. Even though Andrew or "Andy", is clearly talking nonsense, it seems he was invited on merely to be a punching bag clown. The guy sounded like he may have had mental problems.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

He is the developer of Tabula Rasa

Man, that game had a lot of potential. I actually really liked it, it had good atmosphere, great music, and good game play. It just needed some polish, and more exposure.

I still listen to some of the music of that game from time to time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

There's some massive psychological issue with people like Andrew, I don't think it has to do with belief or evidence. It was even shown in the interview, Garriot presented him with something and he simply said, "No, I refuse to believe that". And what can counter that? No amount of evidence, even rocketing these morons into orbit or to the Moon would change their minds.....they'd then claim the windows were screens playing video. If you put them in a spacesuit to do a spacewalk they'd say the same thing about the visor. There is nothing that you could possibly do to change their minds.

I have to agree with Richard that the majority are trolls looking for attention. The rest shouldn't have their ridiculous arguments dignified. They're idiots, and completely delusional....it's very sad.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

To add to his answer, which makes it sound even more ridiculous, they belive that the so-called “ice wall,” which circles the disc we think is a round Earth, is guarded 24/7 by thousands of guards in on the secret that are willing to kill anyone that comes close to it to protect the secret. Pilots are in on it too so we don’t accidently see the ice wall if we’re flying in the lower parts of the Southern Hemisphere.

When you think about it, it seems more likely that most of them are trolls for the attention. Although I’m sure a few really do believe it. I remember reading some explanation they made up stating why the world governments are going through so much trouble to keep the secret rather than tell us the world is really flat, but I’m a little too lazy to look it up right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

considering that we are all gamers I am sure everyone knows who Richard Garriott is

He hasn't been relevant in years. I expect a lot of people, especially younger gamers, have no idea who he is.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01

@ad1x2 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

To add to his answer, which makes it sound even more ridiculous, they belive that the so-called “ice wall,” which circles the disc we think is a round Earth, is guarded 24/7 by thousands of guards in on the secret that are willing to kill anyone that comes close to it to protect the secret. Pilots are in on it too so we don’t accidently see the ice wall if we’re flying in the lower parts of the Southern Hemisphere.

When you think about it, it seems more likely that most of them are trolls for the attention. Although I’m sure a few really do believe it. I remember reading some explanation they made up stating why the world governments are going through so much trouble to keep the secret rather than tell us the world is really flat, but I’m a little too lazy to look it up right now.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me... some people like going against the conventional wisdom of things to make themselves feel smarter & superior to others, even though most of the time it's completely ridiculous (such is the case here).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacanuk

@lordlobster said:
@Jacanuk said:

considering that we are all gamers I am sure everyone knows who Richard Garriott is

He hasn't been relevant in years. I expect a lot of people, especially younger gamers, have no idea who he is.

Hmm, you are probably right

We know the younger kids have an attention span of 15sec so they probably don´t even remember what they had for lunch yesterday.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

1.) Look at the embarrassment on the face of the flat earth schmuck when he was pimp slapped after mentioning Degrasse. 2.) Without knowing any of the people on that video, it was painfully obvious who was the fantasy defender and who had FACTS on his side. Andy looked like he has been on a great deal of drugs. 3.) People here have all sorts of differences on politics and such but this should be an issue of sensibility and common ground between everyone here.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

There's some massive psychological issue with people like Andrew, I don't think it has to do with belief or evidence. It was even shown in the interview, Garriot presented him with something and he simply said, "No, I refuse to believe that". And what can counter that? No amount of evidence, even rocketing these morons into orbit or to the Moon would change their minds.....they'd then claim the windows were screens playing video. If you put them in a spacesuit to do a spacewalk they'd say the same thing about the visor. There is nothing that you could possibly do to change their minds.

I have to agree with Richard that the majority are trolls looking for attention. The rest shouldn't have their ridiculous arguments dignified. They're idiots, and completely delusional....it's very sad.

it's 2018, these people should simply be ignored. there is nothing to debate.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@DigitalNoodle: Lol good question. I'm sure they'll have some bullsh*t reason why the "edge" has never been found.

Once you get close to the edge there is no return, kind of like an event horizon.