qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

https://abc7.com/alleged-college-admissions-scam-lori-loughlin-in-custody/5186103/

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/arrests-made-nationwide-college-admissions-scam-alleged-exam-cheating-athletic

BOSTON -- Lori Loughlin was taken into custody Wednesday by the FBI in connection with the largest college admissions cheating scam ever prosecuted in the United States.

The actress, who is one of three defendants expected to turn themselves in the day after the news broke, returned to the United States from filming in Canada. Loughlin surrendered in Los Angeles, where one other defendant is also expected to surrender, while the third is in Boston, ABC News has learned.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Damn, I feel sorry for the kids. I'd feel terrible if I found out I wasn't good enough to get into college and my parents had to pay.

College admissions is tough, though, I totally understand why (though I don't support it) these parents did it; it's generally not good enough to be the best; you have to be the best of the best of the best for a lot of these schools.

I'm glad I got in to college and finished when I did.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Damn, I feel sorry for the kids. I'd feel terrible if I found out I wasn't good enough to get into college and my parents had to pay.

College admissions is tough, though, I totally understand why (though I don't support it) these parents did it; it's generally not good enough to be the best; you have to be the best of the best of the best for a lot of these schools.

Were the kids aware of how their parents helped?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

lock em up

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@qx0d said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2019-03-12/50-charged-in-largest-college-admissions-scam-ever

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/arrests-made-nationwide-college-admissions-scam-alleged-exam-cheating-athletic

Fifty people, including NCAA Division I coaches, Hollywood celebrities and wealthy parents, were charged Tuesday with bribery and fraud in connection with a sweeping college admissions scandal, according to documents unsealed in federal court in Boston.

The case – the largest college admission scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice – exposes a long-running racketeering scheme dating back to 2011, in which parents paid an admissions consultant a combined $25 million to help students cheat on college entrance exams and to get them into elite colleges and universities as recruited athletes when in reality they were not athletes.

Not sure why this is news?

Does anyone really believe that this has not happened since man got past the caveman status, and continue to happen every admission cycle around every top university in the world? Why else would Bush, Trump, Clinton, and a lot of other "kids" of wealthy families have a prestigious degree, it sure has amen in the church not because they scored 800 on the SAT´s

But with that said, it´s fun to watch and especially when someone from the self-proclaimed Hollywood far-left elite is exposed as hypocrites.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

If some of the reporting is true, yes, the kids were aware and in on the scheme.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk
@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Well, it depends but since everyone knows their SAT score and if you want to get into Harvard and only have a 320 on each test or 670, you know that there is not a snowball´s chance in hell of you ever getting in. Even with a 780 on each test, you will have a hard time getting in.

So if they get in, :)

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Not sure this is really political, it's a rather straightforward collection of white collar criminals. Are any politicians even involved in this bust?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jacanuk
@Vaasman said:

Not sure this is really political, it's a rather straightforward collection of white collar criminals. Are any politicians even involved in this bust?

Not just white collar, and also you can be 99% sure there are politicians involved, it´s just a matter of time before people flip.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Well, it depends but since everyone knows their SAT score and if you want to get into Harvard and only have a 320 on each test or 670, you know that there is not a snowball´s chance in hell of you ever getting in. Even with a 780 on each test, you will have a hard time getting in.

Unless they improve by a ton, their grades and work in general there have to be noticed, in a negative way, by their professors...?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

Not just white collar, and also you can be 99% sure there are politicians involved, it´s just a matter of time before people flip.

Uh, bribery and fraud to get into a school is pretty much a textbook example of white-collar crime, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

But putting semantics aside, aren't you the same guy who's continually saying we shouldn't have conversations based on speculation? Now suddenly this is political because maybe some politicians are involved? I mean sure, technically they didn't say some governing figures aren't involved, so why the frack not?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Unless they improve by a ton, their grades and work in general there have to be noticed, in a negative way, by their professors...?

Yep, you would think that but you know the stories about how institutions have special treatment for money making athletes, it would be no different when it comes to wealthy and especially high-profile kids who´s parents can be asked for huge donations each time that comes around. And of course once a cheater it's not hard to think they may do it again.

Harvard topped the donation league in 2018, bringing in a mammoth $1.4 billion.Harvard's success came at the end of a five-year capital campaign that shattered fund-raising records for higher education. The university set a goal of $6.5 billion and by the end of the campaign, it had raised $9.6 billion

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Yep, you would think that but you know the stories about how institutions have special treatment for money making athletes, it would be no different when it comes to wealthy and especially high-profile kids who´s parents can be asked for huge donations each time that comes around. And of course once a cheater it's not hard to think they may do it again.

Harvard topped the donation league in 2018, bringing in a mammoth $1.4 billion.Harvard's success came at the end of a five-year capital campaign that shattered fund-raising records for higher education. The university set a goal of $6.5 billion and by the end of the campaign, it had raised $9.6 billion

Ah of course. Money trumps everything. Could potentially ruin Harvards reputation though.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Ah of course. Money trumps everything. Could potentially ruin Harvards reputation though.

Yup, money makes the world go around.

And ya you would hope scandals like this would tarnish their reputation and they probably will lose a few applications, but it´s still Harvard and I think anyone would give their right arm to be an alumnus from there.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Who's actually surprised?

Now if a Nigerian 419 scammer paid himself to become President in US that would be some news.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm sure some were. I think one of the actress' kids were aware.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

The good ol' USA meritocracy in action.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Everyone knows this happens in all countries, but its good that its finally out in the open.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-full-house-lori-loughlin-admission-scam-20190313-story.html

Crazy when fiction meets reality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I cant believe anyone would pay to get their kids into USC. Like, if you're going to pay, how about for a good school?

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

University of Scandals & Corruption

I'm not surprised.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

I guess let's say I actually believe this will come to anything worth remembering...

There was a Star Trek DS9 where parents cheated in order to get their dumb kid a chance. Now of course it's a damn show and this is real life but the resolution I think does work here as well.

One parent goes to prison for a set amount of time or the kid loses their degree, whether or not they are starting/middle/or having graduated. No fines, community service, book tours or CNN apology segments. Straight prison time or the degree.

Let the parents show for sure why they did this. Was it for their own image to having successful pedigree offspring to show their peers, or was it truly for the sake of the kids.

This will prove that.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

This is what happens when quota systems are instituted. College admissions should all be on qualifications not on skin color and origin. We have to get out of the notion that the only way to succeed is to go to college and an elite college to boot. The big scandal is the cost of college and what you get for all the money spent. Massive debt for years to come for a degree that may be next to useless.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

People's parents paid bribe money to get them into exclusive universities and colleges?