Did you lose any friends or disown family members in the past year because of politics and/or who they said they voted for?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Did you lose any friends or disown family members in the past year because of politics and/or who they said they voted for? (29 votes)

No, I didn't let politics get between friends or family because we never bought up politics. 41%
Yes, I was against Donald Trump and I dumped family and friends that admitted they supported him. 21%
Yes, I was against Hillary Clinton and I dumped family and friends that admitted they supported her. 0%
No, I was against Donald Trump, but I didn't dump any family or friends that supported him unless they were unreasonable*. 24%
No, I was against Hillary Clinton, but I didn't dump any family or friends that supported her unless they were unreasonable*. 14%

*For the purpose of the answers, unreasonable refers to them doing something you can't dismiss as a simple difference in political opinion, such as being openly bigoted in their support of their candidate or against yours, blatantly insulting you for not agreeing with them (assuming that you didn't insult them first), or buying into extreme conspiracy theories such as the Clintons ordering the murder of political opponents or Trump planning an actual Latino/Muslim holocaust behind the scenes.

As a person that grew up in liberal cities, before joining the military and spending most of my career either stationed in conservative areas or stationed with soldiers from red states, I have been exposed to opinions from both sides.

With that in mind, whenever I speak to my family at home, as well as friends where I am stationed at now (Maryland), the vast majority of them talk about how much they hate the president. Many simply dismiss his voters as people that were desperate and conned, while others will go a step farther and say how everyone that voted for them is either an idiot that should have their voting privileges revoked for not seeing that Hillary Clinton was the most qualified candidate and should have been our first female president, or voted for him because they were racist bigots.

On the other hand, when I talk to my friends I met during my time in the Army, as well as some of the people I'm stationed with now but are from places like Arizona and Texas, the nicer comments are them talking about how they are glad Trump won because of how they thought Hillary would be a weak president, or that she would just be another part of the establishment, with the massive support she got from the media and Hollywood as proof. Others took it farther and threw out words such as "Benghazi," and one person I knew keeps talking about the Seth Rich conspiracy, saying that the media is helping cover up him being the WikiLeaks source so it doesn't weaken the Russia collusion argument.

In the end, I ended up going independent with a slight lean to the right, since there are a lot of things I don't agree with on the Democrat side, but too many things I don't agree with on the Republican side to be a Republican. For example, I don't agree with abortion, but I am against banning it because it would just lead to illegal, back-alley abortions, where some would either fail and result in a child that may be born with birth defects, or end up seriously injuring or killing the mother. I also don't agree with possibly cutting off poor people from healthcare and restricting them to getting all of their care through ER visits.

I managed to avoid speaking about politics whenever possible with them for the simple fact that I don't like to argue about politics. Doing it here is easy, since it is all typing and I can see opinions from people I never met before that live in places I probably never been outside of possibly changing planes.

I don't know who Denzel Washington voted for, but his reply to the reporter in his video was a great way of preventing 60 million people from hating him, although that doesn't mean a few million were upset he didn't outright declare support for their candidate of choice many other celebrities did. The video was in response to a fake story that came out over a month prior claiming that he endorsed Trump.

• 
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#51 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

@ruthaford_jive said:

@MirkoS77: @MirkoS77: Yes... yes it does make you a child.

That is a tad late.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

No, because at the end of the day I cannot dictate or control how someone feels about how this country should be run and I am graced with the maturity to realized that.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

yes..

BUT...I disowned them during the Bush adiminstration. well not 'disowned' just stay as far away as I politely can.

and we are talking about very close relatives

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

Old topic. Closing it.