Will we see Playstation 5 before 2020?

Siggestardust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Will we see Playstation 5 before 2020? (43 votes)

Yes, absolutely! 28%
No way! 51%
2020? More like 2023! 21%

Topic

• 
Siggestardust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Siggestardust
Member since 2017 • 34 Posts

I'll go first, I think there is NO WAY we will see Playstation 5 before 2020. The PS4 is still selling well and the graphics evolution seems to have slowed down in the last years. In other news I pick up an awesome Snowmobile racer this December sale called SNOW MOTO RACING FREEDOM. It's so damn good I can't stop playing it <3

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

It makes the 60+ million PS4 owners have to choose to continue to wait for the ps5 or upgrade to the Pro. I'm still betting on the holiday 2019 release. The timing seems right. Pro owners might not immediately upgrade, but I bet most of those 60+ million will, especially if it's priced at $399, which I have no doubt it will be. Ryzen CPU, 10 teraflops, 3D RAM, possibly a hybrid HDD. Sounds crazy but I think Sony can get all that and either break even or take a slight loss. It'd kill any momentum Xbox may have going for it in the multiplat Dept. To summarize, if you knew you could sell a huge amount of your product, why would you wait? Ps4s will still be around, as will Pros. Ps5 will be next gen, but still play PS4 games, so trading in your base PS4 and getting the ps5 should be a seamless experience. It makes no sense to wait past 2019 to release it. Businesses have to forecast sales of their product. By that time, ps4s will have slowed down in sales enough for something new. And I highly doubt anyone in 2019 will be upgrading to the Pro... So again, you have 60+ million that are ready for an upgrade(will be in 2019). I'm also gonna throw this out there: There will be options on most games to prioritize frame rate, graphics or resolution. If a game is native 4k and 60 fps, then maybe not. But with the new CPU, every game should at least have the option to hit 60fps.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

We just got the PS4 Pro just over a year ago- so I actually don't think we will hear anything about the PS5 until after 2020. I think the PS4 will be the longest Playstation generation to date. I mean just look at the facts. The PS4 / PS4 Pro are excellent systems with state of the art graphics and we still have a ton of exclusives that are coming out. I think this generation will gone on for 10 years and that we will finally hear news of the PS5 in 2022 (this is when it will be announced), but it will not be released until the 2023 Holiday season.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoshRMeyer

@mecha_frieza: So you're saying we're stuck with a Jaguar CPU that was already out of date in 2013 in 2022-23? That CPU is maxed out already and still can't get 60 fps on open world games. I can't imagine how bad it'll be in a few more years, much less another 5 years. Pro is having trouble doing 4k textures because of the RAM limitations. Not a huge deal, but something that's only going to get worse. Remember also, only a few million people have the Pro... Base PS4 owners aren't going to wait until 2023 to upgrade, and if they haven't gotten a Pro yet, I doubt they will anytime between now and 2023. 4k TVs are almost to the point where they are affordable. 8k comes out this year which should help lower the price even more. 60+ million will be looking for a console to show off their tv. I don't think Pro or the X are capable of that...aside from a few games. Like someone else always says, I think there will be console refreshes every 3 years to keep people from jumping to PC. Expect MS to release one in 2020, slightly more powerful than ps5, but this time at $399.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mecha_frieza

@joshrmeyer said:

@mecha_frieza: So you're saying we're stuck with a Jaguar CPU that was already out of date in 2013 in 2022-23? That CPU is maxed out already and still can't get 60 fps on open world games. I can't imagine how bad it'll be in a few more years, much less another 5 years. Pro is having trouble doing 4k textures because of the RAM limitations. Not a huge deal, but something that's only going to get worse. Remember also, only a few million people have the Pro... Base PS4 owners aren't going to wait until 2023 to upgrade, and if they haven't gotten a Pro yet, I doubt they will anytime between now and 2023. 4k TVs are almost to the point where they are affordable. 8k comes out this year which should help lower the price even more. 60+ million will be looking for a console to show off their tv. I don't think Pro or the X are capable of that...aside from a few games. Like someone else always says, I think there will be console refreshes every 3 years to keep people from jumping to PC. Expect MS to release one in 2020, slightly more powerful than ps5, but this time at $399.

Regardless if the technology is out of date or not, the PS4 is turning into one of Sony's most successful consoles so they are going to milk that success (as they should). I have a lot games on PS4 and I have yet to have any issues (except long load times) with with either my old PS4 or my PS4 Pro. Plus, I wouldn't get too hyped for 8K because that is probably a solid decade (or more) away from being popular. It took HD well over a decade to fully replace SD and 4K hasn't even come close to replacing HD- in fact 1080p gaming still remains the most popular choice among gamers.

I don't think that MS is going to release a new console in 2020, because if they do than that would generally mean that the XBox One was a borderline failure. To date, it has severely worse sales figures than it's predecessor. With the release of the XBox One X, MS is hoping that they can gain some traction, but it is not looking good for them for this generation.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@mecha_frieza: Yeah the PS4 is successful. But companies have to plan years in advance for their next project. Sony made it clear that the Pro was a min-gen upgrade. They could have waited like MS did or even a year longer but it wasn't meant to replace PS4. It was meant to keep console players on console instead of going to PC. I just got a Pro near the last black Friday, and I expect it to last me another 3 years(I never buy consoles at launch). As expectation of ps5 increases, PS4 sales will decrease. The cool thing about this x86 architecture is Sony can still sell PS4 for a while after ps5 releases. The majority of games will still be available on PS4. But ps5 will have it's own exclusives also. I'm the only one of my real life PS4 owning friends that has a Pro. They are waiting til the ps5 to upgrade. I'm 37 and most of my friends are around that age and we're use to the 5-6 year generations of consoles. With Monster Hunter around the corner, some of them wish they had a Pro or ps5 for it. It runs on PS4 fine, but could definitely use the extra power for frame rate. My point, people with PS4s are not going to be happy to wait another 5 years for ps5. If you want any indication as to how people think, look at the mobile phone market. I went from the original Galaxy to Galaxy 3, then 5, and now 8+... And 9 is already coming out. I don't expect consoles to do 6 month upgrades, but definitely sooner than 10 years. If you want to say the Pro bridged the gap, it didn't. Games have to be made for the base models, and then bumped up to the Pro or X. Another case: Look at the Switch. Released 4 years after WiiU. Yeah WiiU didn't sell well for whatever reason(it had great exclusives just like the Switch). People want new toys. And they've shown they will buy them. Going back, the ps5 is for sure already in development. Probably started soon after 2016 E3 with the Scorpio announcement. The Pro was complete at that time. Releasing in 2023 would mean the ps5 was in development for 7 years... That's not even possible with how fast tech advances. If you listen to the interviews with Sony execs, you can tell(they flat out say it) they are nervous about people leaving console for PC. That's why 2019 holidays will be when ps5 releases. And also a newer psvr that will require a Pro or ps5.

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Open_Lane
Member since 2018 • 74 Posts

If there were a guarentee it’s not coming out til 2021+ i’d get a pro

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mecha_frieza

@joshrmeyer said:

@mecha_frieza: Yeah the PS4 is successful. But companies have to plan years in advance for their next project. Sony made it clear that the Pro was a min-gen upgrade. They could have waited like MS did or even a year longer but it wasn't meant to replace PS4. It was meant to keep console players on console instead of going to PC. I just got a Pro near the last black Friday, and I expect it to last me another 3 years(I never buy consoles at launch). As expectation of ps5 increases, PS4 sales will decrease. The cool thing about this x86 architecture is Sony can still sell PS4 for a while after ps5 releases. The majority of games will still be available on PS4. But ps5 will have it's own exclusives also. I'm the only one of my real life PS4 owning friends that has a Pro. They are waiting til the ps5 to upgrade. I'm 37 and most of my friends are around that age and we're use to the 5-6 year generations of consoles. With Monster Hunter around the corner, some of them wish they had a Pro or ps5 for it. It runs on PS4 fine, but could definitely use the extra power for frame rate. My point, people with PS4s are not going to be happy to wait another 5 years for ps5. If you want any indication as to how people think, look at the mobile phone market. I went from the original Galaxy to Galaxy 3, then 5, and now 8+... And 9 is already coming out. I don't expect consoles to do 6 month upgrades, but definitely sooner than 10 years. If you want to say the Pro bridged the gap, it didn't. Games have to be made for the base models, and then bumped up to the Pro or X. Another case: Look at the Switch. Released 4 years after WiiU. Yeah WiiU didn't sell well for whatever reason(it had great exclusives just like the Switch). People want new toys. And they've shown they will buy them. Going back, the ps5 is for sure already in development. Probably started soon after 2016 E3 with the Scorpio announcement. The Pro was complete at that time. Releasing in 2023 would mean the ps5 was in development for 7 years... That's not even possible with how fast tech advances. If you listen to the interviews with Sony execs, you can tell(they flat out say it) they are nervous about people leaving console for PC. That's why 2019 holidays will be when ps5 releases. And also a newer psvr that will require a Pro or ps5.

I don't think Sony is worried at all by people turning their PS4s in for a PC. Currently, Sony has been completely dominating this generation of gaming and I have heard no one say "oh the PS4 just isn't powerful enough, we need the PS5!". People are actually really, really happy with the PS4 which explains why it is the most popular console of this generation. If Sony keeps pumping out the exclusives then there isn't really a reason for the PS5 to be released. Remember, we still have an abundant amount of PS4 exclusives that are going to be released in the next 2-5 years and typically Sony doesn't even mention a new console until the previous console is starting to reach end of life- the PS4 isn't even remotely close to reaching end of life. Sure, it might be older tech, but people love it. Let's just say hypothetically speaking, that the PS5 releases in 2020. Sure that can happen, but if they did that then it would probably be in the $799.99 price range and that would deter buyers. If Sony waits until 2023, they can release the PS5 using newer technology, but at a much more competitive price point.

I think it's more likely that we would get a PS4 Pro V2 before we get a PS5. Sony is trying to make history by surpassing the PS2's success and if they release a new console they are really going to shoot themselves in the foot.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@mecha_frieza: 2-5 years? TLOU will be out no later than the end of next year. Death Stranding may be out next year, 2020 at the latest. I can't think of any other exclusives that are anywhere close to 5 years away. Most of the ones they've shown at the last 2 E3s will be out this year. Again, PS4 is doing good right now, but I'm referring to 2019. It's not going to sell well forever. And again, it can still sell next to the ps5 if someone wants a $150 machine or maybe even cheaper like $129.99. I have no clue where you get $799 for a ps5 in 2020 from lol. Let's look at the last 2: PS4 2013 releases for $399(no profit loss), PS4 Pro 2016 releases for $399(no profit loss)... The PS4 went from 1.84 tflops to 4.2 and 1.6 GHz to 2.1... decent jump in performance for the same launch price... Ps5 should be around 10 tflops with a ryzen CPU(not expensive)... So another 3 years, 2019, ps5 should release at $399. And 3 years after that ps5 Pro will release for $399. BTW, 8k was only mentioned because it should lower 4k prices a bit. Just like when 4k came out, 1080p prices dropped. Right now almost all the TVs in Walmart over 32" are 4k... In 2 years I doubt you'll be able to find a decent 1080p TV at retail stores.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoshRMeyer

@open_lane: That's what I've noticed with my friends... All are expecting a 2019-20 release so they aren't getting the Pro. It'll piss off a lot of people if it's 2023... Unless Sony announces it so people can go ahead and settle for the Pro for now. But that's not gonna happen.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I hope not. I'm not eager to buy another shitbox just to play a few games at 30fps. I probably will, just not looking forward to it.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mecha_frieza

@joshrmeyer said:

@mecha_frieza: 2-5 years? TLOU will be out no later than the end of next year. Death Stranding may be out next year, 2020 at the latest. I can't think of any other exclusives that are anywhere close to 5 years away. Most of the ones they've shown at the last 2 E3s will be out this year. Again, PS4 is doing good right now, but I'm referring to 2019. It's not going to sell well forever. And again, it can still sell next to the ps5 if someone wants a $150 machine or maybe even cheaper like $129.99. I have no clue where you get $799 for a ps5 in 2020 from lol. Let's look at the last 2: PS4 2013 releases for $399(no profit loss), PS4 Pro 2016 releases for $399(no profit loss)... The PS4 went from 1.84 tflops to 4.2 and 1.6 GHz to 2.1... decent jump in performance for the same launch price... Ps5 should be around 10 tflops with a ryzen CPU(not expensive)... So another 3 years, 2019, ps5 should release at $399. And 3 years after that ps5 Pro will release for $399. BTW, 8k was only mentioned because it should lower 4k prices a bit. Just like when 4k came out, 1080p prices dropped. Right now almost all the TVs in Walmart over 32" are 4k... In 2 years I doubt you'll be able to find a decent 1080p TV at retail stores.

I can easily see the PS5 being released between 2021 and 2023, but definitely not before. PS4's are still selling like hotcakes and Sony typically doesn't release a new console until the previous console has reached end of life. If Sony did this, then they would have to give gamers a reason to upgrade and while I am banking that the PS5 will have a Ryzen CPU and have a GPU that is at 10+ tflops, but what about all of the great PS4 games out there? The only way Sony could ease this transition would be to release a PS5 that actually has reverse compatibility with the previous generation which they could very well do anyways, but not before 2021.

Remember, even though the PS4 was released in 2013, it didn't start to gain traction until 2014 where it sold 14.1 million units that year. Every year since then, the PS4 has outsold the previous year and last year was the greatest year for the PS4 because it sold over 21.2 million units world wide. If this trend continues for the next 3-5 years then Sony will have no interest in making a PS5. The only thing that would expedite the release of the PS5, is if Microsoft released the new XBox, but since they just released the XBox One X about 2 and half months ago, a new generation of XBox isn't even on Microsoft's radar. I also think that Sony is waiting for Zen 3 to be released and that isn't even being released until 2020.

Great conversation by the way!

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Open_Lane

@joshrmeyer: yep. That’s about where i’m at right now. Something makes me think sony must have another card up their sleeves, as specwise alone, the xb one x seems more enticing than the pro (again, just saying that purely specwise. Content-wise, not so much).

To me, it doesn’t seem to make sense that they’d be satisfied being significantly second-place specwise and squat for too long.

If they announce in 2019 that nothing is on the brink for 2 or so more years, i’ll have to extend my current position, which is “i’ll wait two more years.” That is, unless the pro comes down in price significantly.

I’m toying with selling one of my guitars and getting a pro when i get my gaming monitor in a couple weeks or months. I really want to see it go down to $300 first (they almost had me at $350 around Christmas sales)

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Open_Lane

A couple people here make a very rational argument that sales are still so successful that they don’t think it makes sense to leave behind the ps4s yet. Makes sense. If the ps5 comes in 2019, that puppy better be backwards compatible or a lot of people are going to be seriously pissed off!

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mecha_frieza

@open_lane said:

@joshrmeyer: yep. That’s about where i’m at right now. Something makes me think sony must have another card up their sleeves, as specwise alone, the xb one x seems more enticing than the pro (again, just saying that purely specwise. Content-wise, not so much).

To me, it doesn’t seem to make sense that they’d be satisfied being secondplace specwise and squat for too long.

If they announce in 2019 that nothing is on the brink for 2 or so more years, i’ll have to extend my current position, which is “i’ll wait two more years.” That is, unless the pro comes down in price significantly.

I’m toying with selling one of my guitars and getting a pro when i get my gaming monitor in a couple weeks or months. I really want to see it go down to $300 first (they almost had me at $350 around Christmas sales)

I was in my local Costco the other day and they were selling PS4 Pros for $299.99, but I think the promotion ended. I got my White PS4 Pro on Amazon for $399.99, it came with Destiny 2 and a 3 Month subscription for PS+.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I don't think so. But who knows.

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Open_Lane

@mecha_frieza: wow. Hopefully that’ll be the standard price soon. If they were $350 with game at Christmas time, i prob would’ve gone pro instead of slim. Gotta say, though, can’t complain about my slim. I do love it!

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@mecha_frieza: I got a white Destiny 2 Pro with the game and season pass for $349 around black Friday.

Edit: Hope that didn't come off as I was trying to 1-up you lol. Good deals all around.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mecha_frieza

@joshrmeyer said:

@mecha_frieza: I got a white Destiny 2 Pro with the game and season pass for $349 around black Friday.

Edit: Hope that didn't come off as I was trying to 1-up you lol. Good deals all around.

HA! No its all good! I actually got mine as a gift, but I know what my girlfriend paid because we share the same prime account :)

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Open_Lane

Got my slim for $250 with call of due wwii. Call of duty was disapointing to me, but i do like camo console. Also had a $50 gift card from my parents so it ended up be like $215 or something like thwt, out of my pocket. Can’t complain.

The biggest annoyance i have with owning a slim and not a pro is seeing game previews and always having to wonder if it will look signif worse on my rig :)

Siggestardust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Siggestardust
Member since 2017 • 34 Posts

@open_lane: I don't think you have to worry. It actually seems the other way around that some games are not optimized for the PS4 pro and have problems on that one.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

GDDR6 will just launch in 2018 HBM 3.0 will launch in 2019 and 7nm die shrink will start to happen in 2019 2018 at the earliest.

New kinds of chips using AI or physics (as with Pixel 2 and apples A11X chip... etc) this could be a good new direction for Games consoles. It will take a little time for all of this tech to come out before the console market to implement them.

SONY has learned its lesson with the PS3 and cutting edge tech launched TOO soon.

I really do not think any console will be a big jump in gameplay or have games that are different than what we are playing now. The cost will be prohibitive in 2019 PS4 pro games will launch that don not need to be 4k and does not have to be PS4 compatible, as by then the PS4 pro will cost 249.00 dollars.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pcvirginrace
Member since 2017 • 192 Posts

7 years console life cycle is dangerous and bad. Anyone who's been gaming or knows about technology knows that

Consoles get outdated by 4th or 5th year or even faster these days.

Devs can no longer push more advance visual techniques so the games are held back all around.

If ps3 and 360 hadn't waited so long and the PS4 and xbo was released in 2011 or 2012, we would have the ps5 and next Xbox by now using ryzen and around 8-10tf

Ps1: 1994-2000 was considered advance for time

PS2: 2000-2006 was considered advance for time

Ps3: 2006-2013 was considered advance until 2011

PS4: 2013-20xx already outdated on launch

You do the math

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ravenlore_basic

@joshrmeyer: WAit// why are they waiting and not playing games. There are a huge number of games that came out in 2017 and a lot coming out this year.

MY main question is if in 2019 PS5 launches what specs are you expecting? I mean looking at a high end PC with the graphics set on high you can see a difference but it is not a big enough jump that people will pay $200.00 more dollars for. Look at XB1X, or PS4 pro their sales show that people will not pay a premium for the same games in a higher definition. The difference with PS3 and PS4 was MEMORY PS3 had 500MB PS4 has 8GB. what do you think PS5 will have and sell for 399??

What difference will it make on PS5 if the SAME game can be played on PS4 in 900p or 1080p on Pro. Looking back IF the PS3 was not such a dog to program for and IF it sold as well in the beginning, I doubt that Sony would have been in a hurry to launch PS4. Had I bought a Slim instead of the Pro I think I would have been fine with it. My VR time is only 15 minutes now and that is the only reason I got the Pro anyway.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@Ravenlore_basic: Lot to answer: ok... Ps5, zen cpu,, don't know the speed, whatever the budget one is most likely, but still miles better than the jaguar... 10tflop GPU, 16 gig RAM or the stackable RAM(I'm not that techie to know the details), hybrid 2 TB HDD, 4k Blu-ray drive... It'll be able to do 4k without a sweat on all games unless for some odd reason the developers choose better graphics. I'm basically seeing a PS4 doing 1080p on 95% of titles and 30 fps, jumping to 4k on 95% of titles and 60fps. Maybe have an option for 30fps for those that want better shadows or whatever lol... I doubt it though. The PS3 to PS4 wasn't a huge jump but definitely noticeable. The jump from base PS4 to ps5 should be on par with that. Each new console from now til whenever will have less noticeable performance. (4k,8k,12k, etc.. fps will be 60 on console for a while... But maybe that'll be the future(fps). If you take the X, and use 2-3 year newer tech, and Sony's leverage on hardware parts, the specs should be around what I mentioned at $399. Like you said, not that many people were ready to upgrade to the Pro after 3 years... So you have around 70 million right now with the base PS4. Let's say half of them are ready to upgrade but are skipping the Pro... That's a huge number ready for ps5. If there's a hit exclusive at launch, or a more definitive version of something like death stranding, people will jump on the ps5. I got a Pro for my psvr also, but I don't regret it now... Monster Hunters extra frame rate and better visuals makes my purchase feel somewhat better lol.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer

@Ravenlore_basic: "WAit// why are they waiting and not playing games."

Waiting to upgrade. They have the base PS4. They're still playing games.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Izak80
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

I bet on somewhere between 2021-2023.

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ravenlore_basic

@joshrmeyer:

There will come a point when the improvements and price will be worth it. Prior to that the price is too high or the increase is not worth it. I think it will be too soon prior to 2020 due to the cost (for a console that is a big enough leap) and the tech available. ( it will be cheaper later on)

"Zen+" core and have been built on Global Foundries' 12nm process, which is believed to be a refined version of its 14nm process. These will be followed in the second half of the year by a Zen+ Threadripper and a Zen+ Ryzen Pro for the desktop.

(Zen+ is a minor refresh to Zen. It won't substantially alter the basic characteristics of the devices—they'll support broadly the same instruction sets, execution units, system topology, and so on—but there will be some small optimizations and, we'd expect, clock-speed improvements.)

The first big revision will be Zen 2 in 2019. AMD has confirmed that this design is complete and says that it improves on Zen in "multiple dimensions." Zen 2 will be built on Global Foundries' 7nm process. AMD intends to follow this in 2020 with Zen 3, built on a refined "7nm+" process.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1332180 It’s too early to tell what the next generation trade-offs will look like, but both a Jedec GDDR6 and an HBM3 are in the works. A major cost issue for HBM is a lack of test coverage and thus relatively low yields, he said.

HMB 3.0 Despite first- and second-generation High Bandwidth Memory having made few appearances in shipping products, Samsung and Hynix are already working on a followup: HBM3. Teased at the Hot Chips symposium in Cupertino, Calfornia, HBM3 will offer improved density, bandwidth, and power efficiency. Perhaps most importantly though, given the high cost of HBM1 and HBM2, HBM3 will be cheaper to produce .... ... Both Hynix and Samsung are working on HBM3 (Samsung is calling its version "Extreme HBM"), although neither has committed to a firm release date. AMD's current GPU roadmap points to its Navi architecture—the follow up to Vega, which itself follows Polaris—using "NextGen memory," and is due for release in 2018.

Gddr6 ... ... https://www.anandtech.com/show/12027/samsung-preannounces-16-gbps-gddr6-chips-for-nextgen-graphics-cards ... ... early 2018 at the earliest

Sony tried out using cutting edge technology with PS3 and it did not go well. Give the tech a year and Sony time to design how to use the tech in their PS5 and at a lower price point as the tech become more mainstream. For me waiting a year or 2 for a better more powerful console at a good price is worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0457a4d6084
deactivated-5b0457a4d6084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5b0457a4d6084
Member since 2004 • 1319 Posts

@joshrmeyer: Fall 2019 is a Master Executive Lock and I can’t wait,The Last Of Us 2, Death Stranding and Ghost If Tsushima will be the last 3 Big Exclusives In 2019 for PS4/Pro and the PS4/Pro cycle will keep continuing forward every 3 years PS5 Fall 2019, PS5 Pro Fall 2022. I just found this site yesterday have fun reading everyones predictions for PS5, I think it’s so crazy that people think 2021 or 2023 for a PS5 Launch.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-launch-speculation-timing-and-specification.3436/

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshRMeyer

@Eddie619: Cool thanks, I'll take a look

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ravenlore_basic

Most games on PS4 could be ported to PS3 at 480P with less graphical features (think low end PC with settings at low well but more difficulty in porting) So why not there are Multi-millions of PS3 out there!!

The answer is because the difference is big enough that PS4 gets the sales and it cost too much to make a PS3 game.

(If the power is not huge and if the focus is on Visuals) If PS5 comes out to port a game to PS4 will not be so difficult, and the difference will not be so huge. a game on PS5 running at 4K at 60fps will run on PS4 at say 780p -900p 30FPS. (This is more in the line of PC games which the difference in power is the difference in settings.) looking at higer end PC gaming and XB1X, by 2019 not much is changing. AMD chips are updating but no major changes untill 2019 and 2020.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11992/the-xbox-one-x-review/3 ...

The original Xbox One featured eight CPU cores based on the AMD Jaguar microarchitecture, and the Xbox One X keeps that completely intact. There’s still eight cores, and they are still based on a slightly upgraded version of Jaguar. Microsoft stated the CPU performance increased 31% over the original console, and they achieved that with a frequency bump from 1.75 GHz to 2.3 GHz.

This likely came down to several factors. They may have been able to leverage Ryzen cores, but it would have been difficult to get Ryzen into the new APU on the timelines required.

by 2019 as stated in an above post Ryzen will be updated but the redesign will not be fabed by this time. what you will get will not be an generational leap over the PS4 pro or XV1X which will be at a lot lower price.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

There's not point, to be honest. PS4 is selling like hotcakes. Also, from a business standpoint launching a new console is extremely risky and expensive. Right now, Sony are making a lot of money from ps4 and it's only getting better. By releasing a ps5 in 2019 they will only cut those loses. Honestly, i feel like the ps4 is starting to catch some steam. I'm guessing we'll see the ps5 sometime in 2021-2022.

Also, to those talking about power. Notice how the most powerful isn't the one that wins generations, since the SNES era? Console gamers don't care that much about specs.

DaddyFlawless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaddyFlawless
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I personally don't think we will see a PS5 before 2020. Same as IPhones, They are here, theyre about as good as anyone needs them to be, and if there was something more that we needed from the current generation, it could be upgraded or sold as a variant. Anything new (next gen) would be too expensive and not practical to produce or sell because people don't wanna blow $1200 or $1000 on a playstation when they can just build a decent PC for the same

Topdownside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Topdownside
Member since 2018 • 13 Posts

@daddyflawless: Why would PS5 cost $1000???

shinichi999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shinichi999
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I think we'll see it in 2021! Remember my words!

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LittleAngryDog
Member since 2018 • 263 Posts

@Ravenlore_basic said:

Most games on PS4 could be ported to PS3 at 480P with less graphical features (think low end PC with settings at low well but more difficulty in porting) So why not there are Multi-millions of PS3 out there!!

The answer is because the difference is big enough that PS4 gets the sales and it cost too much to make a PS3 game.

(If the power is not huge and if the focus is on Visuals) If PS5 comes out to port a game to PS4 will not be so difficult, and the difference will not be so huge. a game on PS5 running at 4K at 60fps will run on PS4 at say 780p -900p 30FPS. (This is more in the line of PC games which the difference in power is the difference in settings.) looking at higer end PC gaming and XB1X, by 2019 not much is changing. AMD chips are updating but no major changes untill 2019 and 2020.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11992/the-xbox-one-x-review/3 ...

The original Xbox One featured eight CPU cores based on the AMD Jaguar microarchitecture, and the Xbox One X keeps that completely intact. There’s still eight cores, and they are still based on a slightly upgraded version of Jaguar. Microsoft stated the CPU performance increased 31% over the original console, and they achieved that with a frequency bump from 1.75 GHz to 2.3 GHz.

This likely came down to several factors. They may have been able to leverage Ryzen cores, but it would have been difficult to get Ryzen into the new APU on the timelines required.

by 2019 as stated in an above post Ryzen will be updated but the redesign will not be fabed by this time. what you will get will not be an generational leap over the PS4 pro or XV1X which will be at a lot lower price.

The problem of launching a Playstation 5 before 2020 is vega architecture that was not good enough to compete with Nvidia's most advanced GPUs and probably unable to compete with Nvidia's VOLTA architecture. AMD's most advanced GPU called RX VEGA 64 achieves 13 Teraflops but in practice the performance results of this GPU equals a GTX 1080 that has 9 Teraflops. AMD has to correct its mistakes and launch a GPU strong enough until 2019 to compete with future NVIDIA VOLTA GPUs. That way SONY and Microsoft will be able to choose a cheap mainstream GPU from AMD to use on their consoles achieving performance equivalent or superior to a current RX VEGA 64. Otherwise the graphical generational jump will be smaller than I would like it to be. Of course a PS5 with performance of GTX 1080 or RX VEGA 64 would already be very good for making games in 4k with more refined graphics. But the more performance the PS5 has, the farther away the gameplay looks! 

The consoles can be optimized and if the PS5 gets an improved version of the RX VEGA 64 maybe not so bad. The basic PS4 GPU is an optimized version of the HD7850 that continues to make beautiful games to this day. So it's amazing how the basic Xbox One and PS4 consoles can support incredible games using outdated jaguar processors and optimized versions of older GPUs.
thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

probably, might not be called ps5 though

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LittleAngryDog

@thehig1: O.o

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts

My prediction is 2020

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#43 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

I think the PS5 will be released in 2020 or 2021.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LittleAngryDog

It is already more than obvious that the PS5 arrives in 2020. Now relax and enjoy PS4 games until that wonderful machine hits the market.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mecha_frieza

Still sticking to my original answer: we will see it between 2021 and 2023.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

It will release in 2020, I'm pretty sure of it. This is going off of the way the industry is headed, what with the Pro a year plus into its release, the increased talk of 4K and VR etc etc

PS5 is obviously going to be native 4K, it will have a 4K disc player and be increasingly positioned towards VR. All that indicates another 1+ year of this current gen life cycle.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LittleAngryDog

NO WAY!

Avatar image for reaperinthyname
reaperinthyname

Forum Posts