Will Sony ever update the PS3 web browser?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Seriously it is a big differentiating point between them and their rival console.

A fully optimized browser meant to be fast and compatible would be nice. I heard Google was working with SOny but Chrome on PS3 would be amazing.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

Seriously it is a big differentiating point between them and their rival console.

A fully optimized browser meant to be fast and compatible would be nice. I heard Google was working with SOny but Chrome on PS3 would be amazing.

thedude-
I didnt know the rival console even had a browser :| and i own it . Also i dont think so... thye are too busy making apps for the photo section of the XMB :|
Jacena7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jacena7324
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
I have never even used the PS3's browser & had all but forgotten it existed until now. I still have no desire to use it because I will never have a reason to with a PC in the household.
Jacena7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jacena7324
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts

thedude-
The fact the PS3 has a browser and the Xbox 360 does not really from what I've seen not been at all a big selling advantage. I purchased my PS3 before I did my 360 and the fact the PS3 had a browser meant nothing in my debate of which console to get.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Eh, if I want to browse the web on my TV I'll use Opera on its other rival system. The PS3's browser is too much of a hassle. Even if they fixed the compatibility issues, the SixAxis/DualShock makes a very poor substitute for a mouse and keyboard. Yeah I know I could plug in an actual mouse and keyboard, but at that point I have to wonder why I don't just use my computer?

corigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 corigan
Member since 2004 • 586 Posts

The browser sucks. I can use it for pandora but not rhapsody. It definitely needs an update.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"]

Solid_Tango
I didnt know the rival console even had a browser :| and i own it . Also i dont think so... thye are too busy making apps for the photo section of the XMB :|

The rival system doesn't, which is exactly why the PS3 having this feature makes it a differentiating point.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts
[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"][QUOTE="thedude-"]

thedude-

The rival system doesn't, which is exactly why the PS3 having this feature makes it a differentiating point.

Exactly. The PS3's browser was such a big deal when it launched, but it's never been good enough to really use. Seriously, we can already use a keyboard and mouse...just make the browser better!!
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Last month Sony officially announced they would be using Opera for their TV's and blu-ray players.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Solid_Tango"] I didnt know the rival console even had a browser :| and i own it . Also i dont think so... thye are too busy making apps for the photo section of the XMB :|hxczuner

Exactly. The PS3's browser was such a big deal when it launched, but it's never been good enough to really use. Seriously, we can already use a keyboard and mouse...just make the browser better!!

Yes, maybe for the general members of this board the browser is supplementary, but it could be a huge advertising feature if the browser was fast, compatible, and built around PS3 functions.

PS3 It Only Does Everything...Remember?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Since Opera is coming to Bravia TVs it would be great having it on the PlayStation 3 as well. Opera is already available on the Wii.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="hxczuner"][QUOTE="thedude-"] The rival system doesn't, which is exactly why the PS3 having this feature makes it a differentiating point.thedude-

Yes, maybe for the general members of this board the browser is supplementary, but it could be a huge advertising feature if the browser was fast, compatible, and built around PS3 functions.

It's a web browser. Anyone who is actually interesting in browsing the web almost certainly already has a PC. Honestly I think Sony could ditch the browser completely, along with most of the other multimedia functions, and it wouldn't hurt sales all that much.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777

A fully optimized browser meant to be fast and compatible would be nice. I heard Google was working with SOny but Chrome on PS3 would be amazing.thedude-
Going by the comments in the link I posted:

SJW - Sony said at the CES it wasn't planning to launch its Google TVs in the UK, and wasn't even shouting about them any more for the US Market. There were mutterings about them not selling well and the google engine not exactly wowing end users...John Archer

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

the browser is fine , i use it often.. i think sony should update the xmb tho

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hexagon_777

Last month Sony officially announced they would be using Opera for their TV's and blu-ray players.emitsu97
You beat me to it. :cry:

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"]

[QUOTE="hxczuner"] Exactly. The PS3's browser was such a big deal when it launched, but it's never been good enough to really use. Seriously, we can already use a keyboard and mouse...just make the browser better!!ThePlothole

It's a web browser. Anyone who is actually interesting in browsing the web almost certainly already has a PC. Honestly I think Sony could ditch the browser completely, along with most of the other multimedia functions, and it wouldn't hurt sales all that much.

In short, not everyone thinks like you. There is definitely an audience for easy ways to browse the internet on your entertainment room large TV.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="thedude-"]Yes, maybe for the general members of this board the browser is supplementary, but it could be a huge advertising feature if the browser was fast, compatible, and built around PS3 functions.

PS3 It Only Does Everything...Remember?thedude-

In short, not everyone thinks like you. There is definitely an audience for easy ways to browse the internet on your entertainment room large TV.

Not just that, but for those who have a TV in their room but not a PC. It's just another method of getting on the web which is especially useful if all you have to do is attach a keyboard and a mouse. Some families may only have a PC or two in the household after all.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

[QUOTE="thedude-"]

[QUOTE="hxczuner"] Exactly. The PS3's browser was such a big deal when it launched, but it's never been good enough to really use. Seriously, we can already use a keyboard and mouse...just make the browser better!!ThePlothole

someone doesnt know everything the web browser can do on ps3

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThePlothole
In short, not everyone thinks like you. There is definitely an audience for easy ways to browse the internet on your entertainment room large TV.thedude-
There is an audience sure. but what I'm saying is that I don't believe that audience is particularly big. Or dedicated enough to affect sales of the PS3. Many attempts have been made to bring the web into the living room over the years... beginning with WebTV.... yet none have proved especially popular.
kyleh615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kyleh615
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts

I kept hearing rumors for the longest time of Firefox coming to the PS3 which would be amazing but at this point I don't think that is ever going to happen. It sure would be nice though.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

The browser needs to be updated badly. It's slow, clunky and basically a pain in the ass to use routinely. A lot more people would use it if it weren't such a piece of ****, me included. They better not scrap it, not everyone has permanent access to a computer.

corigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 corigan
Member since 2004 • 586 Posts

I like using the browser to stream music to my home theater. It would be great if I could get rhapsody working in it.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Technically guys, the Wii is a rival console so the OP stands correct.

On topic though: Yes it needs an overhaul. I can't Facebook on it.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"]In short, not everyone thinks like you. There is definitely an audience for easy ways to browse the internet on your entertainment room large TV.ThePlothole
There is an audience sure. but what I'm saying is that I don't believe that audience is particularly big. Or dedicated enough to affect sales of the PS3. Many attempts have been made to bring the web into the living room over the years... beginning with WebTV.... yet none have proved especially popular.

Theres definitely an audience. There have been big pushes to get the internet easily into the living room by competitors and Sony has it ALMOST there and at a cheap price. If they made it Plus exclusive I would buy into Plus just for that if it was very well done and all the existing apps like Hulu were integrated from already being on the system.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thedude-

Technically guys, the Wii is a rival console so the OP stands correct.

On topic though: Yes it needs an overhaul. I can't Facebook on it.

Zanoh
The rival has an X in its name.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777

I kept hearing rumors for the longest time of Firefox coming to the PS3 which would be amazing but at this point I don't think that is ever going to happen. It sure would be nice though.kyleh615
Never heard such rumours. In terms of likeliness, it's Opera first with Chrome second since they have connections to Sony in that regard.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

[QUOTE="hxczuner"][QUOTE="thedude-"] The rival system doesn't, which is exactly why the PS3 having this feature makes it a differentiating point.thedude-

Yes it only does everything... poorly.

Honestly, the way the ps3 has been going, they're probably more likely to remove the feature than update it.

gial240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 gial240
Member since 2004 • 2019 Posts

What is wrong with it? :roll:

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
[QUOTE="thedude-"]

and if Sony did that prepare for more people to start with crazy lawsuits or threads of entitlement stating they paid for the browser
Avatar image for deactivated-57d32c9daf505
deactivated-57d32c9daf505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57d32c9daf505
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Will they? How come no one at Sony realizes how slow and unstable it is?

They seem to have good ideas but don't develop them fully, for example: how often do you use Vidzone?

How come every time I try to access it I have to wait for a 15 minutes update? Doesn't it defeat the whole

purpose of 'hey, I have a few minutes of spare time, let's watch a music video'?

Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Hm, the 15 minute updates seem to be common on applications that aren't used very often. Like a feature that you never use but then you decide to check it out, only there have been a number of updates, so now you are waiting for the updates to kick in. You finally use it but are irritated at the update and decide to not use it. A month or two later you want to check it out again and you are hit with another set of updates. . . . or am I understanding this incorrectly. My friend seemed to have this problem with the PS3 in general, he played with me like once a month and would complain that it needed to update every time he came on to play. I just kept my mouth shut.

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts

I find the fact that my small, portable iPod Touch can process pages better than by Cell powered PS3 to be quite pitiful to be honest. The web browser had lots of potential; it's a shame that Sony decided to neglect it.

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

I find the fact that my small, portable iPod Touch can process pages better than by Cell powered PS3 to be quite pitiful to be honest. The web browser had lots of potential; it's a shame that Sony decided to neglect it.

dk00111

Agreed. My 2G iPod Touch is leaps and bounds better than the PS3 browser. I'm not demanding an overhaul and I doubt many other people are, which is a big reason why they haven't updated it.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

[QUOTE="dk00111"]

GEE_WIZZ

Agreed. My 2G iPod Touch is leaps and bounds better than the PS3 browser. I'm not demanding an overhaul and I doubt many other people are, which is a big reason why they haven't updated it.

They wouldn't even have to change the browser, just the horribly clunky and poor interface. Lik giving us a menu bar, big visible buttons that never go away, that kind of thing. And my droid phone's built in browser was flat out horrible, but since Opera is free for Android that's really not an issue. :)
00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

I go on there for YouTube all the time and it works just fine but even better if it was fixed, otherwise I kinda like it lol.

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

thedude-

it is truely amazing!!!

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I have never even used the PS3's browser & had all but forgotten it existed until now. I still have no desire to use it because I will never have a reason to with a PC in the household. Jacena7324

One thing it's great for is going to www.Allps3themes.com to get a ton of free themes and it automaticly puts them right into your themes section

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

[QUOTE="Jacena7324"]I have never even used the PS3's browser & had all but forgotten it existed until now. I still have no desire to use it because I will never have a reason to with a PC in the household. gregbmil

One thing it's great for is going to www.Allps3themes.com to get a ton of free themes and it automaticly puts them right into your themes section

That site never works for me... I found a few more like it with tons of themes

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#39 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
At the moment, the browser crashes half the time especially if you go on sites like Youtube. SONY should put a major update since it's pretty cool watching videos and surfing the net on a large HDTV.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

they better remove that useless feature.

256mb ram...lol, i wonder what site you can browse without lag.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#41 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

they better remove that useless feature.

256mb ram...lol, i wonder what site you can browse without lag.

oajlu
If it doesn't crash, Youtube works well.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thedude-

They seem to have good ideas but don't develop them fully, for example: how often do you use Vidzone?

How come every time I try to access it I have to wait for a 15 minutes update? Doesn't it defeat the whole

purpose of 'hey, I have a few minutes of spare time, let's watch a music video'?

djcalotta
Giantbomb phrased it the best. Ill paraphrase but basically Sony releases great hardware because they are a hardware manufacturer, however they do not wrap up all the software as well.
GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

If they would just fix the freezing i'd settle. That's the only reason I don't use it. It's awesome for jumping online for a quick look at a walkthrough if you're stuck on a game but mine freezes ALOT. And now that I think of it the ability to use it while you're playing a game would be pretty nice too.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
I can't remember the last time I used the browser, probably when my laptop died. It's fine but without a keyboard and mouse it just feels silly.
LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

[QUOTE="djcalotta"]

thedude-

Giantbomb phrased it the best. Ill paraphrase but basically Sony releases great hardware because they are a hardware manufacturer, however they do not wrap up all the software as well.

Yea, that makes a lot of sense. It's too bad the industry is run by a bunch of dbags.

If sony and MS had gotten together rather than being rivals we could've had a console that had both good hardware AND decent support instead of having to choose between the two.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Sony don't want people to replace their Sony laptops with the PS3 so they give us a sub-par internet. It is slow, freezes, can't go on a lot of sites (i can't even check my email), no java support for my special videos and has the terrible browser interface. I rarely use it but the main reason I got my PS3 is for playing video games and watching netflix. Internet feature was just a bonus to me.... Connect an old tower PC or laptop to TV and get a wirless keyboard like me!

Zyd654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zyd654
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts

I think very soon we will get Chrome on the PS3 due to Sony's partnership in google tv AND! that every new Sony Vaio is coming installed with google chrome.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Yeah, I was actually wondering the same exact thing a few days ago. The browser is kind of clunky and not all that fast.. it'd be nice to see an update or full chrome support, that'd be amazing.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thedude-

With the dawn of HTML 5 PS3 web browser could be amazing.

glassman832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 glassman832
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have never even used the PS3's browser & had all but forgotten it existed until now. I still have no desire to use it because I will never have a reason to with a PC in the household. Jacena7324
Yep, got me a 386! Don't need no new fanged browsers and such in pong console.