Why doesn't epic want gears of war on the ps3?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

impu15e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 impu15e
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts
Before I get flamed, let me start by saying I don't care about any of the 360's games, except Gears. Which is why I'm asking this question. Does anyone know if Epic Games has a reason for not wanting Gears to be a PS3 game? Do they have a contractual agreement with Microsoft?
sixshooter0825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sixshooter0825
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts
All I heard that Microsoft only own Gears of wars 1 and 2 but 3 no but seem to me mark is a 360 fanboy
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
the game is being plubished by microsoft.
Shadows-Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shadows-Kill
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts
They have a 2 game contrat with microsoft and of course there is a rumor of geow3 on ps3.
rsoxguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 rsoxguy12
Member since 2007 • 1602 Posts
since ff13 went multipat, i think they owe gears of war 3 to us:D
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
Microsoft owns the franchise in a way. As for why microsoft don't the game published on the ps3, go figure that out yourself.
codalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 codalloo
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts

since ff13 went multipat, i think they owe gears of war 3 to us:Drsoxguy12
haha

also i dont think its the fact that they dont want to put it on PS3 its that theyre contractually not allowed to for the first 2 games because its being published by microsoft but who knws maybe gears 3 will be on PS3 though i do doubt it

deadarknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 deadarknight
Member since 2004 • 800 Posts

ok i think it is time people got over than fact

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

Simple Question deserves simple answer:

Because Sony doesn't want to pay for it

Yceman757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yceman757
Member since 2004 • 980 Posts
Im not going to come into the situation and say that Epic owes it to the PS3 owners, because that would be like saying Konami owes Xbox 360 players Metal Gear Solid 4. And that will more than likely never happen, what I would like to see instead is for Epic to maybe bring an exclusive title to the PS3 instead of Gears of War. I think that Sony needs to bring more exclusive software to distinguish itself from other consoles instead of saying, we have it to IMO.
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
When that contract is up, MS and sony should have the same amount of units sold worldwide, if sony doesnt have the edge by then.. So you can bet your bottom dollar gears 3 will be mulitplat.
Rich1631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rich1631
Member since 2005 • 946 Posts

When that contract is up, MS and sony should have the same amount of units sold worldwide, if sony doesnt have the edge by then.. So you can bet your bottom dollar gears 3 will be mulitplat.carneyfolk

I am sure Microsoft will do everything they can to keep Gears as an exclusive flagship title like Halo. Microsoft will likely hand over a 100+ million dollar check to Epic games to make Gears 3 a launch title for the next Xbox. As much as I hate to admit it, I really, really doubt Gears will head to the Playstation 3. I mean Epic and Microsoft have butted heads in the past with UTIII's mods and their wish to make the Gears DLC free, but I am sure that Microsoft is paying them really well for exclusivity.

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#15 TheAcejoel99
Member since 2008 • 1059 Posts
Xbox has gears and PS3 has Resistance. Deal with it.
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts

Xbox has gears and PS3 has Resistance. Deal with it.TheAcejoel99

for now, gears is by a 3rd party company, unless MS shells out so much money that they fail to make any they wont keep it exclusive...if they were smart, they would be better off buying the studio to keep it exclusive, thats the only way to ensure it.

I personally dont care, i wasnt a big fan of the first one, and i can only stomach one shooter at a time, so i usually just get the one that interests me the most, till i am bored of it then i look to see about getting another one.

But to say that GeoW is always going to stay MS is like saying ff13 will never go multiplat...oh wait.

T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

Microsoft owns the franchise in a way. As for why microsoft don't the game published on the ps3, go figure that out yourself.PSdual_wielder

Yeah that's it. 360 wouldn't be the same without it. If the PS3 had it, more people would have a PS3. Same goes for the PS3 with MGS4.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
The game is being published by MS Game Studios, so I guess Microsoft have a big say in what console it goes to, doesn't really bother me because I never liked the first game anyway.
OMasterBeefO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OMasterBeefO
Member since 2005 • 51 Posts

As everyone has pointed out, becase Microsoft owns the franchise and Epic has always had a very strong relationship with Microsoft.

The second reason is because Gears 2 uses Epic's Unreal Engine 3.5 (the upgraded version of 3 that now supports hundreds of enemies on screen and much better lighting), and it's a well-known fact that the PS3 has lots of problems with UE3. This isn't a comment on the power of the PS3, but simply it's focus on CPU rendering for games while the UE3 was designed for a GPU focus that's shared in PC and Xbox 360, hence titles using UE3 like Stranglehold and Bioshock having huge delays and being released months after their PC and Xbox 360 counterparts. Even EA which now owns Bioware and Mass Effect is not porting Mass Effect to PS3 due to it using UE3 which would make the time to port it much longer.

Of course, Epic did well with UT3 on PS3 (though once again it was delayed due to PS3 version), but even then it lacks the split-screen support of the 360 version (which was only delayed due to the mod-support debate with Microsoft) due to the video RAM limitations in the PS3 and the stream-loading that runs slower on Blu-Ray discs than regular DVD.

Hope this helps. =)

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts
Gears of War is published by Microsoft Studios and is exclusive on Windows/Xbox 360. Still we have Resistance Fall of Man 2 and MS has Gears of War 2.
Bruce_McGivern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bruce_McGivern
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts

Cute. The problem with that is that Square Enix isn't OWNED by Sony... SE can publish on anything and do what they want for the highest bidder.

On the other hand... Microsoft pretty much owns the Gears of War Name. They publish it.

It's just like how I'll never play God of War on my Xbox 360. Sony owns it. However, Sony -doesn't- own the Final Fantasy franchise.

deadarknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deadarknight
Member since 2004 • 800 Posts

MS own gear of war, while sony owns R2 and KZ2

any question?

De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts
I can't understand myself and my lack of like for this game. Everyone gushes over it and I feel its an average attempt at best. I don't understand the desire to see this game on PS3, if it does or doesn't, I'll probably pass. No offense.
AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

[QUOTE="TheAcejoel99"]Xbox has gears and PS3 has Resistance. Deal with it.charomid

u have got to be kidding me right? any self respecting person in the world and even those blinded by the sony light, know that gears of war is a much better game than resistance. they are not even in the same league. gears of war will never go to sony as long as microsoft has something to do with it. dont ever put resistance in the same catagory and gears.

blind fanboy's make me laugh

ps... i own both a ps3 and 360.

Thats your opinion. Seeing how this game is coming out at the same time as Gears 2 many will say its more than well qualified to be in the same league.

pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
Well... I know Gears won't go to the PS3. But they... atleast they don't get God of War 3 or Killzone 2 right?
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

why isnt any1 ever happy with what we have...

if you want to play gears of war, play uncharted with the brightness turned really low and imagine drake being 3 times the size of a normal human being

War-Tex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 War-Tex
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts

Okay, I agree Gears of War is good. Yeah I played it on PC and really did enjoy it too, but I absotively think its overrated and overhyped. Average game, I gave it 8.5. Same goes to Halo, most overrated game. Thats just my opinion, so dont swear on me.

kirbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kirbomb
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts
because there would be no reason to own a 360, besides for fable 2, and its published by microsoft
mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
MICROSOFT OWNS EPIC sadly, the only reason we got UT3 was because it was already close to being produced
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
they have contracts for the first 2, but the third could make its way to a sony console
eric252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eric252
Member since 2008 • 594 Posts
I would love for it to happen because that was the only game I ever played for 3 months straight and didn't get slightly bored of. It's the one reason I miss my 360. I would love for a Gears of War game to make its way to the PS3, although, I'm not expecting it to happen.
Nik_Hasri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nik_Hasri
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
To be honest with you guys i dont care much for this game....i played on pc, enjoyed it and i think its a good game but not a great game....this of course is personal opinion. Now if would have said Fable 2....wow i want that game.....the first one was amazing and i did like it more than i liked gears....but i have a pc to play these titles when they come out so i dont care if it never comes to PS3
LiquidDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LiquidDom
Member since 2008 • 464 Posts

MS own gear of war, while sony owns R2 and KZ2

any question?

deadarknight

I dont have any questions but I do have some facts. Microsoft owns the Gears of War title for Gears 1 and 2. They dont not own 3(yet) and it has a slim chance of coming to the PS3. Microsoft will probably cough up the dough for the exclusives rights but until then, we can still get Gears of War 3!.......... but I still think it is a slim chance

TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
Well because Halo is terrible now, Bioshock was lost and is coming to PS3! If they lost Gears of War nobody would want a 360! The only reason to own a 360 right now is for the games, PS3 as everything else and MUCH MUCH more than the 360!
D-Camo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D-Camo
Member since 2005 • 1041 Posts
Why? Gears Of War 2 is published by Microsoft. So it will never find its way into the PS3. This is the same with God Of War 3, which is published by Sony, and it will go over to the RROD's side.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
If they could afford Final Fantasy 13, they can afford to keep Gears of War 3, Xbox exclusive. Although, it might be in Epic Games best interest to go multiplatform, besides PC, to rake in more money for their studio. They deserve it. UT3 is now multiplatform, why not Gears of War 3? As much as I would love seeing it as an Xbox 360 exclusive (I believe strongly in exclusives), Epic deserves more sales. More revenue to Epic Games = more awesome games with better technology. Hell, why not? FF13 is multiplat so why not GOW3.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the first but as long as M$ publishes the game then it will only be on 360....... and PC of course ;)
gera34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gera34
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts

Before I get flamed, let me start by saying I don't care about any of the 360's games, except Gears. Which is why I'm asking this question. Does anyone know if Epic Games has a reason for not wanting Gears to be a PS3 game? Do they have a contractual agreement with Microsoft?impu15e

cuz M$ have to much money

Avatar image for deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts

As everyone has pointed out, becase Microsoft owns the franchise and Epic has always had a very strong relationship with Microsoft.

The second reason is because Gears 2 uses Epic's Unreal Engine 3.5 (the upgraded version of 3 that now supports hundreds of enemies on screen and much better lighting), and it's a well-known fact that the PS3 has lots of problems with UE3. This isn't a comment on the power of the PS3, but simply it's focus on CPU rendering for games while the UE3 was designed for a GPU focus that's shared in PC and Xbox 360, hence titles using UE3 like Stranglehold and Bioshock having huge delays and being released months after their PC and Xbox 360 counterparts. Even EA which now owns Bioware and Mass Effect is not porting Mass Effect to PS3 due to it using UE3 which would make the time to port it much longer.

Of course, Epic did well with UT3 on PS3 (though once again it was delayed due to PS3 version), but even then it lacks the split-screen support of the 360 version (which was only delayed due to the mod-support debate with Microsoft) due to the video RAM limitations in the PS3 and the stream-loading that runs slower on Blu-Ray discs than regular DVD.

Hope this helps. =)

OMasterBeefO

Not... At... All...
Tylerdurdn71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tylerdurdn71
Member since 2007 • 221 Posts
ou could also ask why God Of War 3 is only gonna be on ps3.
supernaught360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 supernaught360
Member since 2008 • 538 Posts
Microsoft is the game publisher, and owns the IP "Gears Of War', just as they own the ip "Halo". Even though they're only contracted with Epic for the first two games, that only means that if Epic didn't wan't to do the third iteration, Microsoft would simply contract another Dev to do Gears 3. You will never see this game on PS3, period.
tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts
It's one of the only reasons to get a 360...the others being GeoW1 and Mass Effect....
dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
sorry but i dont get all this hype for Gears of war seriously i've played and i beated the game once i have to admit that its fun but the Story and the replay value are Horrible its just ******* horrible so i dont care if gears comes to PS3 at all.
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

if you want to play gears of war, play uncharted with the brightness turned really low and imagine drake being 3 times the size of a normal human being

shroom76

Gears will never be on PS3, Uncharted is so much better.

ag_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ag_8
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="shroom76"]

paul265

Gears will never be on PS3, Uncharted is so much better.

I was about to say the exact same thing. Although, I thought Gears was an ok game, I felt Uncharted was so much better (especially in the story department).

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
Some of the comments in this thread are hillarious, I'm glad I own both consoles so I don't have to justify my purchase.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
Because they're getting cash hand over fist from MS, and Sony is cheap, which is why we're losing all of our exclusives.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
Money Money....yeuh yeuh