Why do people pre-order GTA IV?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

I can understand your excitment and anticipation for this game because I myself can't wait to get it but I don't see the sense in pre-ordering this game or any game for that matter based on experience. No game I ever wanted that was really popular was ever sold out.

The only reason I can think of pre-ordering a game is that they might not have money to buy it when it comes out, so they pre-order it when they have the money to do so.

dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts
GTA IV is going to be massive.......better to be safe than sorry.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I preordered mine online and will be getting mine one day early. Why not pre-order just to be on the safe side.
ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

I dont think it will be sold out, With the amount of money it is expected to make in the first week, they would most certainly need a lot of stock to fill the demand

_instinct_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _instinct_
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts
All gamestop stores around here sell out but we also have several best buys and what not and they never sell out so I never preorder either.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

GTA IV is going to be massive.......better to be safe than sorry. dazman31

That's the way I looked at it... I want this game on launch day no matter what, and I'll be in work from 8am to around 6pm the day it comes out. That's a lot of time for that game to sit on a shelf.

But I generally only pre-order games that are supremely important to me (i.e. GTA, Super Smash Bros Brawl), or if they have some kindof deal going on where I get free stuff.

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 VegasAceVII
Member since 2006 • 404 Posts
It will be simple to get. I don't know why people pre-order either.
wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wide_ocean
Member since 2008 • 288 Posts

All gamestop stores around here sell out but we also have several best buys and what not and they never sell out so I never preorder either._instinct_

Probably right, but my gamestop monkey told me if u don't preorder you probably wont't get it until june. That might be exaggerated, but the hype here is most impressive, so maybe it's quite the same with bbuy. Preorder makes me feel a bit geeky, but this one time, better safe, for i know i'm gonna buy it anyway...

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
Pre-order is a business technique to get customers to come back and ensure that they will purchase the game from their store, and also, have them possibly buy other things while they are there. There's nothing more to it, just a business ploy. I love it when store clerks say "better pre-oder since this game is gonna be big and maybe sold out"--yea right. :)
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts

I pre-ordered because, usually, they end up in your mailbox; yes I'm lazy.

Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#11 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I reserved mine so I know when I go in the store that there is a copy waiting for me.
_instinct_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _instinct_
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts

[QUOTE="_instinct_"]All gamestop stores around here sell out but we also have several best buys and what not and they never sell out so I never preorder either.wide_ocean

Probably right, but my gamestop monkey told me if u don't preorder you probably wont't get it until june. That might be exaggerated, but the hype here is most impressive, so maybe it's quite the same with bbuy. Preorder makes me feel a bit geeky, but this one time, better safe, for i know i'm gonna buy it anyway...

Until June? Are you kidding me? All they have to do is burn it onto a disk. Name one game ever that has been sold out for over a month where you cannot find it?

They know there is great anticipation so they will be well prepared. They'll want to reach that 400 million in sales for the first week and they're not going to screw themselves by not shipping enough. Especially when all it takes is burning it to a disk. They'll ship a ton. There won't be any issue finding them after the first couple days. IF that.

locklain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 locklain
Member since 2004 • 177 Posts
I pre-order because the closest store to me is 40 minutes away. Pre-order off Amazon with overnight delivery and it is on my doorstep the day of release.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#14 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Not eveyone lives in big cities filled with gaming stores overflowing with new releases. I preorder because our walmart usually wont get new games for a good week.
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
I pre-ordered because Im getting the special edition and I want my copy guaranted when I pick it up at 12:00 am April 29th.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts
I didn't pre-order mine, I paid for it in full, so when Tuesday comes, I'll get my game with just a flash of a receipt, duffelbag and all. And I hate SE and LE collections for games, but you actually get good stuff with GTA4 LE through Gamestop, and I'm not much of a customer with Gamestop anymore, but this was awhile ago.
sgthustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sgthustla
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts
So I could pick it up at midnight:)
Handsome-Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Handsome-Dead
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts

I pre-ordered my copy because I wanted to get the Special Edition version, and at the time we had an extra 10% discount weekend at work, which meant that I could make a payment of roughly £45 for the SE instead of the standard RRP £59.99.

I also placed an order on MGS4 to save myself some cash in the long-run.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
GTA Vice City and San Andreas were both sold out for a few days over here and they had backed up pre-orders which meant getting hold of one was pretty hard.

Also pre-orders are already full all online retailers that I know of so that you wont get it on release day.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
best buys NEVER sell out by me
MrNemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrNemesis
Member since 2004 • 3084 Posts
I live in the UK and find that dedicated game stores like GAME tend to sell out with preorders but places like HMV you can walk in and just get it. This happened with Mario Kart wii, I preordered with GAME but when the day came to get it i was with some friends in a different town and thought hey why not look in HMV so i don't waste an hour going up to the store i preordered. In HMV i just picked the game up and got it there and then.
chillwill3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chillwill3000
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
better safe than sorry. some people live in areas where there are only a couple of places near by to get games, and demand sometimes out weighs supply.(especially with big titles like GTA) so to be sure you get your copy, you pre-order/ reserve the game. it's really simple. i don't understand why you are confused or don't know why people do it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 189302
Member since 2004 • 226 Posts
I pre-ordered because of this wonderful thing called the internet, and this equally exciting concept known as next day delivery. Oh and the fact that it is severly painful going into a gamestop, it's like the guitar center of the video game world.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
lol gta is massive
jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts

Until June? Are you kidding me? All they have to do is burn it onto a disk. Name one game ever that has been sold out for over a month where you cannot find it?

_instinct_

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence LE. There weren't even enough to fill preorders, and there was no second production run.

Now for a game as huge as GTAIV, of course there's going to be plenty of copies around unless you wanted to get the LE.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="_instinct_"]All gamestop stores around here sell out but we also have several best buys and what not and they never sell out so I never preorder either.wide_ocean

wow, your gamespot monkey didn't exaggerate at all. He flat out lied haha.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

I like to reserve games at Gamestop. Putting down $5 on a game isn't going to put me in the poor house. Plus, I appreciate the reminder call you get from them that your game will be in the next day. In fact, I just got that call for Mario Kar Wii. Double plus, I have experienced a game being hard to find. I really don't care to drive to 3 different stores to get a game.

I really don't understand why people get so worked up over people putting $5 down on a game. Is it really that big a deal???
BHS_LineMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BHS_LineMen
Member since 2008 • 612 Posts
Free GTA IV Poster :)
wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wide_ocean
Member since 2008 • 288 Posts
[QUOTE="wide_ocean"]

[QUOTE="_instinct_"]All gamestop stores around here sell out but we also have several best buys and what not and they never sell out so I never preorder either._instinct_

They know there is great anticipation so they will be well prepared. They'll want to reach that 400 million in sales for the first week and they're not going to screw themselves by not shipping enough. Especially when all it takes is burning it to a disk. They'll ship a ton. There won't be any issue finding them after the first couple days. IF that.

Right. I really couldn't name one game ever selling out for a month. Anyway, that's what they said, not what i believe. The thing is i simply forgot to mention the main reason for preordering it (besides being pathetically sure to play it the day it's released): getting it for cheap, by feeding sad gamestop with two games i'm just green sick of: Assassin's Creed and good ol' Oblivion...

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
There have been plenty games that were sold out if you did not get to the store early enough, or got there the 2nd or 3rd day that a game came out. Big games sell out in hours. Both Warhawk & Uncharted sold out really quickly. You can usually solve this by going to 2-3 different stores, but that's more trouble when you can just pre-order and be done with it.
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
I pre-ordered because collector editions tend tobe rather limited... Oh and the shop only orders an mount of collector editions to meet the pre-orders.
chessboxer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chessboxer1
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts
I pr-ordered it because it came in the post today, days before 29th release! Installing it as I type :)
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

I pr-ordered it because it came in the post today, days before 29th release! Installing it as I type :)chessboxer1

I though the game didnt have an install option...?

Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts

Just a quick note To UK users of PLAY.COM...they wont send you an email when its been dispatched

I just checked my PLAY.COM account and it was posted on the 24 :D

Why preorder....so when you have to go away this sunday and return this Friday you'll have the game waiting for you :D

I dont wanna go away this week grrr!

Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts
I remember when Vice City was released, I couldint find a copy anywhere. I dont want that to happen again
soulfinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soulfinger
Member since 2003 • 690 Posts
I generally don't know why people love to pre order. I've never had a issue ordering game at release or fidnding it in a shop. I can understand it for limited editions/special edition but not for standard games. Even special editions are easy enough to pick up on launch day.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Has anyone else pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk? Mine hasn't dispatched yet and I really really want it to arrive on time for the 29th.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts

I pre-ordered because, usually, they end up in your mailbox; yes I'm lazy.

Cyberfairy

same lol mine gets delivered to my door usually a day or 2 before release when i pre-order.

onyxnite77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 onyxnite77
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The only time a preorder is usually necessary is for a special edition or collectors edition game.
P-Shug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 P-Shug
Member since 2006 • 210 Posts

I pre order mine from game.co.uk because i get money back from points earned on purchases, you get double points with a pre order. Im gonna buy the game anyway so i might as well get something extra for it. Also games often arrive earlier than the release date and they are deliverd to my house so i dont have to go out to the shops after my nightshift and deal with queues of people picking up their copy.

The games cheaper online too than it is instore so after looking at all these positives i cant seem to find a negative which leads me to ask why not pre-order a copy?

chessboxer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chessboxer1
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="chessboxer1"]I pr-ordered it because it came in the post today, days before 29th release! Installing it as I type :)gekidami

I though the game didnt have an install option...?

Yeah it installs automatically, you don't have a choice, takes quite a while too.

istylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 istylee
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts

to have the piece of mind knowing you will beguaranteed a copy of the game no matter what.

and not like theres anything to lose form pre ordering

Avatar image for gamindude_basic
gamindude_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamindude_basic
Member since 2002 • 478 Posts
Pre odering was use full back in the 16 bit days. Big releases were easily sold out, because cartridges were harder to produce. Since the first playstaion i never preorder a game ever since.
jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts
The only reason I pre-order my games so I can pay for it right then and there,so when the game does come out I just pick it up..
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#45 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I can understand your excitment and anticipation for this game because I myself can't wait to get it but I don't see the sense in pre-ordering this game or any game for that matter based on experience. No game I ever wanted that was really popular was ever sold out.

The only reason I can think of pre-ordering a game is that they might not have money to buy it when it comes out, so they pre-order it when they have the money to do so.

p2250

We pre-order because we choose to.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

p2250

People also Pre-order games to know they only have to go to one store to find the game. I hate having to go to multiple stores to try and find a game.

Pre-ordering=convience if you want a game.

Also Collector's Edition's and Limited Edition's most the time are just for pre orders. I never personally get a collector's or limited, but there are a lot of people out there that like to get the collectors or limited for every game they buy.

kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kreestoph
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
hey guy, remember when vice city was sold out all over the place. not gona repeat that.
ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

Do you not think the makers of the game would know how popular it its and make sure there is plenty of stock on launch day

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
Its possible it wont be sold out, but its just for the extra insurance if it is. Also i can just walk to the counter and ask for my game while the other chumps line up.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
For me, it's to have it paid off before release, so now I don't have to worry about giving anyone any money on Monday night.