What is Virtues Last Reward? Need help choosing a game for the PS Vita.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insainflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 insainflow
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
How are the game play mechanics and what not? Also, which is better, Persona 4Golden or Virtues Last Reward? I can only get one and I want a game that I will love and will be able to play for a long time. I really want to get FFX HD because I loved that game on PS2, but I don't see that being released any time soon. Thanks for opinions and time.
LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#2 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

Get Virtues Last Reward. It will be far rarer later on, and the game itself is sure to be a blast. While I haven't actually played it, I have played the first one on the DS, 999. 999 and Virtues last reward are like classic adventure games, where you go puzzle solving and watch / read a story unfold. 999 is a wonderful game and I would highly recommend it, so the same goes to its sequel. Persona 4 on the PSvita is a simple remake, and you could just get it on the PS2 if you really wanted too. Seriously go with VLR

comrademittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 comrademittens
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I don't think rarity has an issue much anymore. Virtue is the sequel to 999 that released about a year-and-a-half-ago on the DS. It's a survival horror, puzzle, action wacky awesome-ness game. Both are very worth a buy, but I just went through Persona 4 (in about 50 hours) and that was worth every penny and every second. I would say they're both fantastic, but pretty different.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Virtues last reward is best described as a hybrid of a point and click adventure, puzzle game and interactive novel. Is very well written and the puzzle rooms will keep anybody hooked to the screen, especially if they are too proud to turn on the game hints when they get stuck.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Persona 4 Golden and Virtues Last Reward were two of the best games released this year. Both are completely different, get what you think you will enjoy more.
crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

if longer playability is something important I'd say go with Persona 4 Golden.
since you are asking about what Virtues Last Reward IS , then you have Not played 999 which means you shouldn't play Virtue now.
actually I'm puzzled by people saying play 999 as if it was on the PSN or something. Recommending to play 999 is like recommending to buy a new system just for the game. I wish they would release it for Vita at least as a downloadable so I can play it first and then go to Virtue's last reward, that would be awesome :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

since you are asking about what Virtues Last Reward IS , then you have Not played 999 which means you shouldn't play Virtue now.
actually I'm puzzled by people saying play 999 as if it was on the PSN or something. Recommending to play 999 is like recommending to buy a new system just for the game. I wish they would release it for Vita at least as a downloadable so I can play it first and then go to Virtue's last reward, that would be awesome :)

crazypal
Its not necessary to play 999 before VLR. It won't hinder the story at all. Having not played 999 myself, I can't say if it adds anything, but its not like he'll be lost if he jumps into VLR.
crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

[QUOTE="crazypal"]

darkspineslayer

Its not necessary to play 999 before VLR. It won't hinder the story at all. Having not played 999 myself, I can't say if it adds anything, but its not like he'll be lost if he jumps into VLR.

I remember I talked with one fellow Gamespotter who played 999 and had the same opinion as yours. couple of days later when he reached the last part of VLR , the guy came back to me saying that he changed his mind and he thinks it's better for me to play 999 first because if I didn't it'll spoil 999 for me and there will be some references to it that I will not fully comprehend.
Yes it might not be necessary to play 999 but I feel that there's no denying that if you played 999 first your experience with VLR will be much better and more complete.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="crazypal"]

crazypal

I remember I talked with one fellow Gamespotter who played 999 and had the same opinion as yours. couple of days later when he reached the last part of VLR , the guy came back to me saying that he changed his mind and he thinks it's better for me to play 999 first because if I didn't it'll spoil 999 for me and there will be some references to it that I will not fully comprehend.
Yes it might not be necessary to play 999 but I feel that there's no denying that if you played 999 first your experience with VLR will be much better and more complete.

That so huh? Maybe I should get to 999 sooner than later. I haven't got to the final ending yet.
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Get Virtues Last Reward. It will be far rarer later on, and the game itself is sure to be a blast. While I haven't actually played it, I have played the first one on the DS, 999. 999 and Virtues last reward are like classic adventure games, where you go puzzle solving and watch / read a story unfold. 999 is a wonderful game and I would highly recommend it, so the same goes to its sequel. Persona 4 on the PSvita is a simple remake, and you could just get it on the PS2 if you really wanted too. Seriously go with VLR

LOSTLEAD8R
This....x1000. While I haven't played the VLR yet either, I'm HUGE fan of 999 (if you have any sort of DS system and you've yet to play it, insainflow, cop it!), and I've heard it really exceeds right where 999 left. If I'm not mistaken, it's gotten over 9 ratings from numerous sites and magazines. However, I don't you will have too much trouble finding VLR like when 999 released a couple years back. Aksys (the devs of 999 & VLR) admitted they were caught off guard at how quick the success of 999 outgrew their first-press supply numbers, but I'm thinking they've rectified that w/ VLC's release, lol. If you've had a DS or something and you've played sames like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk, I would say the mechanics are something like those--like others have said, it's part of the point-and-click/puzzle type genre. Of course, I'd point out it's bit more on the 'Mature' rated side more so than PW or Hotel Dusk, as it's more on a horror type vibe.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#11 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="LOSTLEAD8R"]

PumpkinBoogie

This....x1000. While I haven't played the VLR yet either, I'm HUGE fan of 999 (if you have any sort of DS system and you've yet to play it, insainflow, cop it!), and I've heard it really exceeds right where 999 left. If I'm not mistaken, it's gotten over 9 ratings from numerous sites and magazines. However, I don't you will have too much trouble finding VLR like when 999 released a couple years back. Aksys (the devs of 999 & VLR) admitted they were caught off guard at how quick the success of 999 outgrew their first-press supply numbers, but I'm thinking they've rectified that w/ VLC's release, lol. If you've had a DS or something and you've played sames like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk, I would say the mechanics are something like those--like others have said, it's part of the point-and-click/puzzle type genre. Of course, I'd point out it's bit more on the 'Mature' rated side more so than PW or Hotel Dusk, as it's more on a horror type vibe.

For what it's worth, they did re-release 999 (just recently, I think) and now it's really easy to find and cheap. I just played through it in anticipation of Virtue's Last Reward and it is one of the best and most intense games I have ever played. I am super excited to start Virtue's Last Reward, which should hopefully come in the mail for me today.