What Is The Best Wireless Router?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

needforfeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 needforfeed
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts
Can Anyone tell me what it is cuz im gonna buy one, but theres 2 many
thestickman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thestickman
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
The Linksys WRT54G is what I've had for a long time and it's never failed me. The wireless is flawless. I also have many other friends with the same router and theirs have never caused problems either. On top of that, its a very affordable router and it covers everything you need (unless you're looking for wireless-N of course...). As a side note, when I first got into wireless gaming I purchased a Netgear wireless-G router (I believe it was the WGR614), and although it was much sharper looking than the Linksys model, I was constantly blocked while trying to play games on devices like my NDS. Go with the Linksys WRT54G and you'll be set :)
chembro84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chembro84
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts
Most Wireless routers will do the trick, I have a WRT54G and it's pretty good, but a guy I work with (I work in an IT department at a University), hates the WRT54G (and he knows what he's talking about).  I have noticed the range isn't so hot on the WRT54G (I live in a tiny 3 bedroom house, and it barely reaches 2 bedrooms, I had to wire the last room), BUT I also live in the middle of a big city (San Franciso) so there's a ton of interference (between 10 other routers that I can see from my room, to the countless other cordless phones that share the 2.4ghz frequency with the router) and that most likely has something to do with it.  In short, but the one you can get a good deal on if it's Linksys or Netgear.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
For PS3 the one you pick might actually make a huge difference. One of my friends has one that barely gets signal 2 rooms away while another's cuts off frequenty from 1 room away. I have a D-Link and I get %97 signal through 3 walls.
DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts
For PS3 the one you pick might actually make a huge difference. One of my friends has one that barely gets signal 2 rooms away while another's cuts off frequenty from 1 room away. I have a D-Link and I get %97 signal through 3 walls.
Lazy_Boy88
Same, D-Link owns.
terrellpakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 terrellpakeman
Member since 2003 • 1326 Posts
Netgear! WU624 A+G 108Mbps
BIGDEE06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BIGDEE06
Member since 2006 • 2322 Posts

I have the D-Link DGL-4300 and it's amazing!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

BIGDEE06
Me too... and I agree... amazing. Forwarding ports, security, prioritizing downloads... it's all much easier than any router I've seen or used before. This router is made for gamers, so if for example you play WoW, you tell the router by choosing from a list of popular games, and it automatically opens up the correct ports ensuring a stable connection. What's more, you can tell the router you want WoW to have priority over any downloads you might have going on in the background. The result is lag free gaming (though it will slow down lower priority downloads.) It's great... not as much range as my sister's Netgear, but a feature set that's a gamer's dream come true.
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts
[QUOTE="BIGDEE06"]

donalbane

Me too... and I agree... amazing. Forwarding ports, security, prioritizing downloads... it's all much easier than any router I've seen or used before. This router is made for gamers, so if for example you play WoW, you tell the router by choosing from a list of popular games, and it automatically opens up the correct ports ensuring a stable connection. What's more, you can tell the router you want WoW to have priority over any downloads you might have going on in the background. The result is lag free gaming (though it will slow down lower priority downloads.) It's great... not as much range as my sister's Netgear, but a feature set that's a gamer's dream come true.

Me three!! 

Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts

Just a few weeks ago, Linksys announced a Wireless-N Gaming Router.  I have yet to find any reviews for it, nor have I seen it available yet.  But here's a link for anyone interested:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859632665&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

This may be the best router for gaming known to man, but it's going to have to be flawless for it to replace my D-Link DGL-4300. 

Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Col_Swamp
Member since 2006 • 937 Posts
i got a really cheap ****** Wireless G router for about $45 at Best Buy. It works fine I get a great signal and the wireless works flawlessly. If ur on a budget and want a wireless network I would go with that. But since u said u want the best It sounds like you have more money to burn............
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
Grab this router, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7666821&st=buffalo+router&type=product&id=1134701703049
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Linksys-WRT54G