Ueda still working on The Last Guardian.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

I know we haven't heard jack about TLG in a long time. Some of were starting to suspect it was tossed to the side for the time being. Thankfully, that is not the case, as Fumito Ueda himself offers this brief update....  

"To All Interested Parties: As some of you may have heard, I left Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio some time ago to pursue my creative passions. Nevertheless, I continue working on THE LAST GUARDIAN as a freelance contributor. While its been a long time coming, THE LAST GUARDIAN remains under my creative supervision and is still in development by an incredibly talented team. I should also mention that details regarding THE LAST GUARDIAN's release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement. Moving forward, it is my intent to continue my involvement with THE LAST GUARDIAN project, as well as pursue new creative projects with a fresh perspective. As I rekindle my passions as a creator, I look forward to seeing where it will take me, and I deeply appreciate your support during this transition." 

So it's still definitely on its way. Too bad there's still no ETA on this thing. 

GHO5T-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GHO5T-
Member since 2011 • 419 Posts

I was wondering what happened to this game. Have a feeling we won't a release until 2014 or longer.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

In other news Tetsuya Nomura is still working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Rockstar is still working on Agent, and Ubisoft Montpellier is still working on Beyond Good & Evil 2. Happy day...

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

In other news Tetsuya Nomura is still working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Rockstar is still working on Agent, and Ubisoft Montpellier is still working on Beyond Good & Evil 2. Happy day...

DrRockso87

They are really slow with completing Final Fantasy Versus XIII and The Last Guardian. lol

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

The next generation is right around the corner though, I wonder if they're ultimately going to bump it to the next Playstation or something.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Was about to post this. Either coming to PS3 or going to be announced for PS4. hopefully on February 20th it is announced.

truegamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 truegamer92
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

this game will either be the last great ps3 game to be released or the one reason to buy a ps4.  either way, I'm getting it.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

This game and Versus XIII launching in 2016!!!!

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Going to release in the new year, '14. Been waiting patiently all this time, will gladly wait some more. Providing we eventually get to play it.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

Would like to see the game come out someday, but at this point I'm not sure I believe anything unless it is on shelves along with Final Fantasy vs XIII.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

As long as it's near perfect when it finally arrives, who gives a **** how long it took to develop? It will be an instant classic and the development time won't make any difference at that point, so long as it's a true gem.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

As long as it's near perfect when it finally arrives, who gives a **** how long it took to develop? It will be an instant classic and the development time won't make any difference at that point, so long as it's a true gem.

Headpopper333

To be honest, taking time with development only goes so far. Yeah, it can be good for a developer to spend some extra time on a game and make sure it's as polished as it can be, but past a certain point a long cycle is usually a sign that the development is plagued with serious problems. This game's been in development since what, 2007? That's getting into 6 years. How many games can you think of that took this long (or longer) to develop and turned out really great?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

This game is taking way too long. 

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

worlock77

To be honest, taking time with development only goes so far. Yeah, it can be good for a developer to spend some extra time on a game and make sure it's as polished as it can be, but past a certain point a long cycle is usually a sign that the development is plagued with serious problems. This game's been in development since what, 2007? That's getting into 6 years. How many games can you think of that took this long (or longer) to develop and turned out really great?

I agree, but it's all relative. I mean, I know next to nothing about game development but what if mid-cycle they gave Ueda a choice: Either continue as a PS3 game or switch to a PS4 launch title. I expect changing over all the assets to be compatible with the new tech of the PS4 might contribute to causing a significant delay. And of course they're (Sony and Ueda) aren't going to say anything because they want to keep dangling this carrot in front of PS3 owners. But with PS4 apparently right around the corner maybe that's why it's taken longer than usual is because they had to switch everything over to the new, more friendlier architecture.

Pure speculation on my end, but you never know.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

Kravyn81

I agree, but it's all relative. I mean, I know next to nothing about game development but what if mid-cycle they gave Ueda a choice: Either continue as a PS3 game or switch to a PS4 launch title. I expect changing over all the assets to be compatible with the new tech of the PS4 might contribute to causing a significant delay. And of course they're (Sony and Ueda) aren't going to say anything because they want to keep dangling this carrot in front of PS3 owners. But with PS4 apparently right around the corner maybe that's why it's taken longer than usual is because they had to switch everything over to the new, more friendlier architecture.

Pure speculation on my end, but you never know.

Possibly, but to me the fact that they ended up calling in assistence from other Sony Worldwide Studios teams seems to indicate development problems.