The PS3 has not even reached full potential. Is this true?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DatBalla89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DatBalla89
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

This is just word of mouth, but I was informed by a few people that it has been told that the Playstation hasn't released games yet that really shows the optimum of what it's graphic processor has to offer. Is this true, or have they already reached the peak in graphics? And if it hasn't reached it's peak, then it will probably surpass the 360 as far as graphics since they are about even as of now.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

God, I hope so...To describe the PS3 in 1 word from Launch - Today..,that word is Lackluster.

hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

This generation is only a few years old... As such, no console has reached his peak.

Try comparing the first games in PS2 with God of War 2 or Final Fantasy XII...

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Graphics wise, nobody has their peak yet. Look at the early PS2 games and compare their graphics to the late PS2 games like God of War 2. The system has the power, the Developers just need to get used to making the games.

Sorry at first I thought you were talking about lineup of games.

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
I think it goes without saying. Take any console, look at the launch titles versus those at the end of its life cycle, and there is usually a huge difference. I don't see why the PS3 would be any different.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14806 Posts
It's difficult to tell. Its future is quite Hazy. Haha, just kidding.
Takiwara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Takiwara
Member since 2006 • 1150 Posts
I dunno, I'm not a dev :P. I wonder if consoles will even be sold next generation with such a big concentration on graphics. Geebus, all I see is OMG his face doesn't look real?? Ugh Epic FAIL! Please they didn't even pick up the controller yet.
jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts

the ps3 is in its second generation of games, whereas the xbox is in its third.

yes the ps3 has the potential, but someone needs to use it. also the ps3 has the best format, with blu-ray multiple layers can be put one disk, and i think i read somewhere that they're working on a 200gb disk....obviously a prototype but you can see what im saying.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

This is just word of mouth, but I was informed by a few people that it has been told that the Playstation hasn't released games yet that really shows the optimum of what it's graphic processor has to offer. Is this true, or have they already reached the peak in graphics? And if it hasn't reached it's peak, then it will probably surpass the 360 as far as graphics since they are about even as of now.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

DatBalla89

In pure faith, the PS3 hasnt reached it's full potential. And to really take advantage of the PS3's power, you really need 1080p resolution. Video games like Lair really harness that 1080p power. If you dont believe me, try it for yourself. You absolutely cannot compare a 720p to a 1080p resolution when it comes to the PS3. In terms of graphics, the PS3 hasnt been fully optimized. Games like Killzone 2 and MGS4 (imo) are pushing the PS3 to it's limits, but how far are those limits - I do not know. MGS4 and Killzone 2 as well as Little Big Planet (in a very artistic fasion) are setting new standards for the PS3. i can honestly say that Killzone 2 is right up there with Gears of War 2, if not better. I have yet to see more gameplay footage of Gears of War 2 so I cannot say which one is better. I'm just happy that these games are coming soon.

As of right now, PS3 games or even games in general from all consoles arent pushing the hardware to it's full potential. You can see that right away. With the exception of Gears of War, Uncharted, Assassin' Creed, and few others, you cant help but wonder why Developers half-ass their games. If you're not going to give your game the 100% work and effort it deserves, why release it at all? To make a quick buck? Sure, it seems that way. But gamers are becoming smarter. We do our research, throughly and extensively. I know I do, before I purchase a game.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Of course they haven't. It takes few years of console life to actually reach new grounds. Remember how we though PS2 had been done to the ground? Then God of War comes along after 8 years of console life and pretty much is visual king of the console.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be the first game to truly express a potential of visuals for PlayStation 3. While Uncharted and Grand Turismo have shown lots of promises MGS4 will set the new standards. We have already seen Killzone 2 which is absolutely stunning and I have no doubt Resistance 2 will also be beautiful, but don't forget that games like Little Big Planet which has lots to do with psychics is also phenomenal.

Though the true king of PlayStation in graphics was always Final Fantasy amongst few other titles, in which regard I'm very, very exited to see FFXIII.

Only now is the PS3 cell processor getting more accustomed by developers, as Sony had recently gave more tools, advices and had been working with them for easier game development. I strongly believe PS3 has a lot to offer in the right devs hands.

abephroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 abephroman
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts
I think the PS3 will continuously improve over the next couple years. The games will get better as technology gets easier. I think it has the best staying power over the other systems.
cattymeat357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cattymeat357
Member since 2006 • 166 Posts
Well, the 360 has reached its potential, gears was taking up nearly 95% of its cpu, the only thing the 360 has now is it needs better programming for better graphics, thats all that can happen. PS3 has only been maxed at 30%. Uncharted took up only 30% of the cell when running, so like yeah, tons of power left. Thats why I like the PS3, so much untapped power. I just can't imagine what the games will look on it in 3 years. Uncharted is comfirmed to be only taking about 30% of the cell. It was on The Official PS mag when they talked to the head dev of naughty dog. Thats why I lol every time a 360 douche boy, says the 360 has better graphics. How in gods name can you compare a 7core 3.2ghs cell processor, to a tri core processor? You can't Its like comparing a pentium 3 to a quad core intel processor. Its funny when 360 fan boys talk about how GEARS 2 has 100 enimies when your playing in real time. LOL! Lair had like 2000 on the screen. Even though lair got terrible reviews, it shows just how much power the ps3 has. Wait, if you include the solidiers in lair thats like 20,000 enimies. My god could this be? Yes it could, so who gives a crap that gears 2 has a 100 enimies thats old news. Also lair is a really good game, after you get the analog patch it is amazing. But in the end oh well. MGS4 who little chickty chinas.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

it has not reached its potential.

Its still pretty new. Graphics and physics shoudl get much better over its life span.

DQSPEAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 DQSPEAR
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
Just wait... in a year or so the standard in graphics on the PS3 will be soooo much higher.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
I think that is pretty obvious after seeing titles like Killzone 2. It's obvious the best games have been delayed over and over again. When MGS4 and then LBP release later this year....I think we'll start to see PS3 shine. KZ2 next year as well as FF13/GOW3......those games should really separate PS3 from X360. I'm guessing but it could happen based on what we've seen from KZ2 so far. It's just a shame that Sony really dropped the ball getting the bigger franchises out to sale the console.......some of these games should have been ready to go last year and for sure this year.
DatBalla89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DatBalla89
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I really understand what everyone is saying about the PS3 not reaching its full potential, and give it a few years or so. Thats all cool and good. But only towards nearing the end of it generation will the graphics be optimum? Thats doesn't make much sense to me. Reasoin being, by that time comes, they will be ready to enter into the new generation of gaming. And what does that mean? That I will have to start thinking about the Playstation 4 or the Xbox 720 (lol) when I actually start enjoying my PS3 at its max potential. Wow. But hey, what can you do?

I'm still getting a PS3 when the 80GB Bundle comes out anyway.

CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts

I think the PS3 will continuously improve over the next couple years. The games will get better as technology gets easier. I think it has the best staying power over the other systems. abephroman

I compeletly agree with you. Example: play "The Bouncer" for PS2 and then "MGS 2 SONS OF LIBERTY" and you will already see the difference.

Great Topic, my allegence has just recently switched from XBOX back to playstation. (I have good reason of course.)

hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

I really understand what everyone is saying about the PS3 not reaching its full potential, and give it a few years or so. Thats all cool and good. But only towards nearing the end of it generation will the graphics be optimum? Thats doesn't make much sense to me. Reasoin being, by that time comes, they will be ready to enter into the new generation of gaming. And what does that mean? That I will have to start thinking about the Playstation 4 or the Xbox 720 (lol) when I actually start enjoying my PS3 at its max potential. Wow. But hey, what can you do?DatBalla89
All generations are the same. Release games are good and all, but they can't match the games at the fall of the generation, because by that time developers had years of training, experience and tools developed that allows them to make thinks other people didn't though possible. FF13 will push the boundaries of the PS3, but it will leagues behind FF14 when they release it for the PS3 after some years.

Still, you should consider updating to a PS3 or XBox 360, even when you won't see the real full potential in a few years... because now the old generation is getting less and less love every month...

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
I belive that the PS3 has a lot more potential in power. Even with MGS4 and Kill Zone 2 on their way soon, I think its obvious that after these games come out, in a year or 2 and of course 3-5 years later you will notice a big difference that will make the titles released this year look like regular launch titles.
XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts

Well from what Kojima said he wanted to put so much more like fine-tune and make motion bluring a lot more prevelant and detailed... he made it sound that he was a a point to where he couldn't because the PS3 was not powerful enough... tho maybe something is lost in translation like it he seems it has been with him recently...

Thats just from an artile I read

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong.

DatBalla89

i suppose your right.

but the only games i hear that are gonna be made for ps3s full, is mgs 4 and the final fantasy 13 series

nellyg619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 nellyg619
Member since 2004 • 6832 Posts

[QUOTE="DatBalla89"] I really understand what everyone is saying about the PS3 not reaching its full potential, and give it a few years or so. Thats all cool and good. But only towards nearing the end of it generation will the graphics be optimum? Thats doesn't make much sense to me. Reasoin being, by that time comes, they will be ready to enter into the new generation of gaming. And what does that mean? That I will have to start thinking about the Playstation 4 or the Xbox 720 (lol) when I actually start enjoying my PS3 at its max potential. Wow. But hey, what can you do?hermes200

All generations are the same. Release games are good and all, but they can't match the games at the fall of the generation, because by that time developers had years of training, experience and tools developed that allows them to make thinks other people didn't though possible. FF13 will push the boundaries of the PS3, but it will leagues behind FF14 when they release it for the PS3 after some years.

Still, you should consider updating to a PS3 or XBox 360, even when you won't see the real full potential in a few years... because now the old generation is getting less and less love every month...

sony has stated a 10yr lifespan so i'm hopin in tht time the potential will have been reached with yrs still 2 go....but it all depends on the market and if the game market can support a new generation...after all economic recession is a possible factor here aswell as others....dont forget also tht it costs alot of money 2 make games 2 the full potential of the ps3

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts
FFXIII is gonna be mind-blowing!!! I can't remember where I read it but FFXIII is suppose to use up all of something power whatever. I just wish the game would release already, I mean, they advertised the PS3 with clips of FFXIII and that was back in 2006 or something.
Ozzie234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ozzie234
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

In pure faith, the PS3 hasnt reached it's full potential. And to really take advantage of the PS3's power, you really need 1080p resolution.Elann2008

Haha... no need to read further: EPIC FAIL

CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts

I just hope developer'z do the right thing, by not making **** game'z, let it start with the birth and release of MGS4.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
nope beacuse games should be wayy better beacuse of the 50gb on the bluray disk
Xcaliber26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Xcaliber26
Member since 2008 • 218 Posts
Of course the full potential has not been reached yet. Developers are still learning how to code for the system let alone optimizing the system. Developers are going to have to create their own game engines for the PS3 if they want the games to stand above the rest.
ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts
yeah i think so. just compare god of war 2 to devil may cry 1 on the ps2, that will give you a good idea of how devlopers become much more familiar with the hardware during its life time
ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts
the thing i like most about ps3 is that it has features that alow devs to implement many more unique elements other than graphics- which wil only get better, i think that people will notice that when they see the updated version of bioshock just like when oblivion looked 10 times better. with mgs, you'll see things that go beyond graphics.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I expect that games will still be improving 5 or 6 years from now on the PS3. At that time the improvements could slow down but they most likely will not completely stop getting better.
Egyptman786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Egyptman786
Member since 2008 • 1152 Posts

God, I hope so...To describe the PS3 in 1 word from Launch - Today..,that word is Lackluster.

Mau-Justice

lol

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

When Kojima said that the PS3 was not powerful enough for his desires, it was most likely a mistranslation or imporoper wording.

I bet my man-hood that MGS4 isn't the limit of the PS3. I believe that MGS4 is pushing the PS3 to aprox 75%-80% at most.

The only problem is that developers are currently still grasping the power of the PS3 and its limits, and how to use it efficiently. MGS4 is currently doing a great job of pushing the console based on the knowledge of it they have atm.

lextexrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lextexrex
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts
I say no system peaks until a warning message appears at the beginning of the game telling me I only have one chance to play this game because once the games finished the system will blow up due to it running at full 100%. But seriously, I'd say all systems have a way to go. I'm pretty sure PS2 has peaked.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
Of course the PS3 hasn't even peaked yet. I think all of us know what Playstation is capable of. The PS3, as of recently, has been basically a 360 alternative. It has its ups but also has many downs. I'm just hoping and praying for the right exclusives to really put PS3 up where it should be.
ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts
i actually think that in time, the ps3 will b amazingly beautiful. mgs4 will b the first big game to push it, but down the road after a couple of years some game will come out and just blow everyones mind. graphiclly wise at least.
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m2twkisfun
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

@the guy talking about how the PS3 will run its future games @1080p-lmfao

1080p was supposed to be one of the PS3's major selling points, yet that is never going to happen, except maby on a few non-intensive games like golf or something.

The Consoles can barely run @720p(hence why GTA IV on PS3 runs @ 640p, and Halo 3 on the 360 runs @ 640p), 1080p is nearly 2.5x that(720p is about 1.01 mega pixel, 1080p is about 2.3). Dont even mention the CELL, cuase that has nothing to do with the resolution, as the limiting factor here is the lowley 256mb's of Video Ram.

As for the main point, of course the PS3 hasn't reached its full potantiol, I mean did the PS2 peak off in 2002? Develupers will continue to learn how to optimise the system as time goes by.

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

Graphics wise, nobody has their peak yet. Look at the early PS2 games and compare their graphics to the late PS2 games like God of War 2. The system has the power, the Developers just need to get used to making the games.

Mau-Justice

Actually, compared to some games in 2001? God of war 2 AND 1 looks like trash. Look at gran turismo 3 and mgs2. Amazing looking games, but they were made towards the begining of the ps2s lifespan. Even mgs2, looks better than its sequal in many ways.

But as for the ps3 reaching its full potential? When games are having framerate issues all across the board, then it already has. Though, just most developers have given up recently, and resort to lowering the resolution on games to help out performance. Theres a funny thing to this though. The ps2 did this as well. Look at god of war 2. Its done in 320i/p, and outputted on a 480i/p image. The best looking games had the full resolution it could handle going on.

I'm betting killzone 2 will have a lower resolution as well. But, if the video I see on it looks as good as it does fully blown out on my tv? That'll be its peak. I'm just scared that guerilla games will gimp out, and use a lower resolution. The mgs4 beta, COD4, halo 3, and other upscaled games look like crap compared to the truely native games. Thats why re4 looked like complete crap, unless you play on a tv under 25". Basically using snes/n64 video resolutions.

m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 m2twkisfun
[QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

hazuki

Actually, compared to some games in 2001? God of war 2 AND 1 looks like trash. Look at gran turismo 3 and mgs2. Amazing looking games, but they were made towards the begining of the ps2s lifespan. Even mgs2, looks better than its sequal in many ways.

But as for the ps3 reaching its full potential? When games are having framerate issues all across the board, then it already has. Though, just most developers have given up recently, and resort to lowering the resolution on games to help out performance. Theres a funny thing to this though. The ps2 did this as well. Look at god of war 2. Its done in 320i/p, and outputted on a 480i/p image. The best looking games had the full resolution it could handle going on.

I'm betting killzone 2 will have a lower resolution as well. But, if the video I see on it looks as good as it does fully blown out on my tv? That'll be its peak. I'm just scared that guerilla games will gimp out, and use a lower resolution. The mgs4 beta, COD4, halo 3, and other upscaled games look like crap compared to the truely native games. Thats why re4 looked like complete crap, unless you play on a tv under 25". Basically using snes/n64 video resolutions.

Them lowering the resolution will make games look better on SDTV's as it will give more headroom for eye-candy, but for us guys with HDTV's, it just kills image quality, I mean you have no idea how discusted I was with Halo 3 on my 52' TV running @ 640p!

I hate marketers calling these consoles "HD" when they can't even do 720p no more, and must trim the resolution to continue to make the games look better. And I don't really even consider 720p to be high any more, that is after becoming acostumed to 1680x1050. I have been using that PC resolution for a while now, and my buddy brough his 360 over, and had it hooked onto my 22' LCD and was amazed by how clear it looked, and I nearly gagged when I looked at it!

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
[QUOTE="hazuki"][QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

m2twkisfun

Them lowering the resolution will make games look better on SDTV's as it will give more headroom for eye-candy, but for us guys with HDTV's, it just kills image quality, I mean you have no idea how discusted I was with Halo 3 on my 52' TV running @ 640p!

I hate marketers calling these consoles "HD" when they can't even do 720p no more, and must trim the resolution to continue to make the games look better. And I don't really even consider 720p to be high any more, that is after becoming acostumed to 1680x1050. I have been using that PC resolution for a while now, and my buddy brough his 360 over, and had it hooked onto my 22' LCD and was amazed by how clear it looked, and I nearly gagged when I looked at it!

The thing is it's not because of Sony but it's because the developers are not using this resolution at this time in the development of the games. Sony tries to keep things in it's native resolution and 1080p is something that is just now getting started and there really isn't that much that supports 1080p as a native resolution.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
Well you know some of these thirds are way behind. Their could be other reasons to. Plus ports you have to add into that.

But when You look at "even some of the first stuff" like Moto Storm, And then GT5p and Uncharted and RandC. And then you see other thirds, that cant seem to get close to those. And yet the RandCs and Uncharted's are siad to be using only 50% or less.

You have to think. Man, if the other cacth up. And surely they will. We should see some cool stuff.

As far as the HD thing. I like Sony, But I dont BS. I dont see how running at a lower rez for the games benefit. Is a bad thing. Both the 60 and Sony should lay off on that, and just let the developers get whats best for their game out. Cod4, GTA4 all at much lower Rez. But look fine.
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m2twkisfun
[QUOTE="m2twkisfun"][QUOTE="hazuki"][QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

jimm895

The thing is it's not because of Sony but it's because the developers are not using this resolution at this time in the development of the games. Sony tries to keep things in it's native resolution and 1080p is something that is just now getting started and there really isn't that much that supports 1080p as a native resolution.

You dont understand the point of my post, I am saying the PS3 will never render its games in 1080p!! Maybe golf games, or baseball games ie non-intence games. The develupers are not implemeting it because it is not practical, the PS3 just doesn't have the groin to push that many pixels(Again thats more than double 720p!)

No amount of optimising will change this either, 256 megabytes of Video Ram just isn't enough for 1080p, The only way this would ever happen(and it wont) is if sony released a 256mb memory add-on similar to the N64, again that ill never happen.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

"""""Well you know some of these thirds are way behind. Their could be other reasons to. Plus ports you have to add into that.

But when You look at "even some of the first stuff" like Moto Storm, And then GT5p and Uncharted and RandC. And then you see other thirds, that cant seem to get close to those. And yet the RandCs and Uncharted's are siad to be using only 50% or less.

You have to think. Man, if the other cacth up. And surely they will. We should see some cool stuff.

As far as the HD thing. I like Sony, But I dont BS. I dont see how running at a lower rez for the games benefit. Is a bad thing. Both the 60 and Sony should lay off on that, and just let the developers get whats best for their game out. Cod4, GTA4 all at much lower Rez. But look fine."""""""""""""""""""""

Theirs no optimism in that. Just facts. Uncharted did not use much of the PS3 power. Thats fact. But I agree, doing HD takes a tun of power.

Why dont we see a HD capture card yet. A true one "not the black box converter thing" Because it takes about a gig a sec to capture 1080. So you know it takes a tun of power to push out.

Thats why I dont complain about a game in 650something, "or whatever GTA was." I don't think will see many games in 1080p either. But its their when needed. Or when can be used. But I do think will see much better looking games in 720 or less latter. Ala a Uncharted 2 using much more of the PS3s power. As I said Cod4, no need to run at a high rez, same with GTA4. And it worked for the better. But this also does not mean the cell is less powerfull than it is, its still just as powerfull.
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 m2twkisfun

"""""Well you know some of these thirds are way behind. Their could be other reasons to. Plus ports you have to add into that.

As far as the HD thing. I like Sony, But I dont BS. I dont see how running at a lower rez for the games benefit. Is a bad thing. Both the 60 and Sony should lay off on that, and just let the developers get whats best for their game out. Cod4, GTA4 all at much lower Rez. But look fine."""""

Theirs no optimism in that. Just facts. Uncharted did not use much of the PS3 power. Thats fact. But I agree, doing HD takes a tun of power.

Why dont we see a HD capture card yet. A true one "not the back box converter thing" Because it takes about a gig a sec to capture 1080. So you know it takes a tun of power to push out.

Thats hwy I dont complain about a game in 6something, whatever GTA was. I don't think will see many games in 1080p either. But I do think will see much better looking games in 720 or less later. Ala a Uncharted 2 using much more of the PS3 power. As I said Cod4, no need to run at a high rez, same with GTA4. And it worked for the better.truenextgen

I'm sure nearlly all of that unused processing power is in the CELL, as for the RSX on the other hand I'm sure most of that was being used up.

I dont think the CELL will ever come close to using 100% of its processing power, I mean the thing has what 7? cores all of which share just 1mb of L2 chach? That is just not enough cache to keep all of those SPU's busy.

But I think its safe to say the consoles have "technocly" reached their graphical limits, its just a matter of how creative the develupers can get with art s/tyleing, etc...

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44 -oG-ShAdY
Member since 2006 • 1385 Posts

Short Answer = No (peaked), Yes (will pass Xbox)

Insert witty comment involving a plastic bag, twinky and a hammer.

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts
If I was a developer, the last thing I would do is tap the PS3's full potential. Just make a crappy game, overhype it to death, slap a $50+ pricetag and pay Gamespot for a good review. What's what he gave a bad review? Make him resign.
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 m2twkisfun

Short Answer = No (peaked), Yes (will pass Xbox)

Insert witty comment involving a plastic bag, twinky and a hammer.

-oG-ShAdY

Source?

Have you guys all forgotten that the PS2 had twice the POTENTIAL of the original Xbox?

I will admit when the PS3 launched I thought it was gonna go down in flames, but now the consoles are very closely matched. And if any thing the 360's more flexible video card will allow it to be optimised further than the PS3's 7800.

deadarknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 deadarknight
Member since 2004 • 800 Posts
three games are going to push the ps3 to the limit 1. MGS IV 2. FF XIII and 3. GOW III but MGS will only be scarthing the surface as it is coming out when the ps3 still has a long way to go not saying that is a bad thing
nohnaimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nohnaimer
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts

Mau-Justice

I dunno about this generation, look at the ever decreasing resolution for both 360 and PS3. A reduction in resolution to get decent FPS is a sure sign of GPU bottleneck. If your GPU is bottlenecked, untapped CPU power can't really improve the graphics anymore.

m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 m2twkisfun
[QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

nohnaimer

I dunno about this generation, look at the ever decreasing resolution for both 360 and PS3. A reduction in resolution to get decent FPS is a sure sign of GPU bottleneck. If your GPU is bottlenecked, untapped CPU power can't really improve the graphics anymore.

Exactly, the graphics are not going to get much better from here on out, except maybe the art s/tyleing and what not. I mean GTA IV is a beautiful looking game thanks to its art s/tyle, technically the graphics arn't that impressive.

nohnaimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nohnaimer
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts

m2twkisfun

lol I actually thought GTA 4 have alot of graphical problems, the super limited draw distance and rapid drop of in detail with distance was the worst for me.

Exactly, the graphics are not going to get much better from here on out, except maybe the art s/tyleing and what not. I mean GTA IV is a beautiful looking game thanks to its art s/tyle, technically the graphics arn't that impressive.