SquareSoft vs. SquareEnix

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yung_slym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yung_slym
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
Does anyone else besides me think the company was better off as Squaresoft rather than SquareEnix? Doesn't all of the SquareEnix main characters (or sub character) ressemble Yuna from FFX? Is FF going down the drain with SquareEnix?
FFXNo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FFXNo1
Member since 2004 • 175 Posts
I totally agree.
aesersnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 aesersnake
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Yes it's very stupid

the players of Xbox 360 not playing FF VS XIII

Nik_Hasri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nik_Hasri
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts

i wont say totally go down the drain BUT

Squaresoft >>>>>>>>>> SquareEnix

So far from the games released by Squaresoft compared to games released by SquareEnix

Foffity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Foffity
Member since 2004 • 622 Posts

Yeh, Squeenix are just going downhill completely. FFX wasn't amazing, FFXII was poor, and now I have a horrible feeling because of the 360 factor that both versions of FFXIII are going to suck.

SquareSoft >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.SquareEnix IMO

Princecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Princecake
Member since 2005 • 590 Posts
btw, did anyone notice SquareEnix was not mentioned at all in Sony Press Conference? :P I think Sony's pretty pissed at SquareEnix. If they've announced it as multi-platform since the beginning - it'd be a diff matter but right before E3? sounds like backstabbing to me :P
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

well thats one of the most obvious comparisons... Squaresoft was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Square Enix. look at our all favorite Square games, Xenogears, Chrono Cross/Trigger, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, early FF games ( well to be honest my favorite is FFXII ) etc. all of them were from Squaresoft

Squaresoft were quality machine, now its quantity machine... they produced all games greatly now they produce 20 games and only 2-3 of them looks good...

they became far worse than we could imagine...

Ellythrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Ellythrion
Member since 2006 • 234 Posts

The only product SquareEnix have churned out that comes anywhere near the quality of pretty much SquareSofts entire catalogue is Final Fantasy XII.

Other than that they have devolved into the 'quanity over quality' mantra and kicking out more Final Fantasy titles on PS2/DS/PS3/360/whatever than I can believe, they really are stretching the franchise out so that it's no longer synonymous with top quality, standalone gaming.

I still can't believe they've done so much pillaging of the Final Fantasy 7 brand (Advent children, crisis core, before crisis etc. etc) and not actually got arond to doing a remake, which is all anybody really wants!

Nik_Hasri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nik_Hasri
serisously...since the merge i dont see improvements i mean even FF was better when it was just Squaresoft...to be honest i didnt enjoy XII as much as i enjoyed VII-X. And your right what ever happened to Chrono Cross/Trigger, Vagrant Story???
Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts
Final fantasy 7, 8 and 9 were the best IMO, yeah, i miss the good ol' Squaresoft days....:cry:
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

I cant wait to see how many people blame FF13 being bad (If it happens) because of it being on the 360 aswell.

Anyway, I didnt even know FF had a different developer from SE

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
The merge was needed due to finical issued but Squaresoft was so much better without Enix. FF serious has suffered from this. I bet Sony wished that they signed Squaresoft under their umbrella during the time of Square's financial woes.
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
I haven't enjoyed the FF series since 9 until I played crisis core and it was only good due to being a spin off form the FF VII story.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

Squaresoft>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SquareEnix

austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

Square started to suck once they started making PS1 games. Square had so many good games and series on the SFC that got ruined on the PS1. The Romancing SaGa series was great and second only to Final Fantasy in Japan, the SaGa Frontier games sucked arse. Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 were also good games, Legend of Mana sucked arse. I also personally felt FFVII sucked after the masterpiece that was VI on the SFC. Treasure Hunter G and Rudra no Hihou were also better than almost everything Square released on the PS1.

The only PS1 Square games I liked were Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Brave Fencer Musashiden. I guess Musashiden followed the rule of series started on the SFC in that the sequel on the next generation system, Musashiden II on the PS, once again, sucked arse.

MajinSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MajinSoul
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
Squaresoft was a lot better than SquareEnix. Not just because of the first Final Fantasy games that were released for the Playstation but because they had such a large game base that was released on the first Playstation by them. I must say I bought so many Squaresoft games for the first Playstation and so many of them were great imo. Since they became SquareEnix I have not seen that calibur of games from them. I'm still hoping for new games like Parasite Eve, Xenogears(not Saga), Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross/Trigger
Delsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Delsage
Member since 2004 • 3355 Posts

Squaresoft was deffinately the best developer during it's time. Square Enix just wants money.

Squaresoft was Much greater than Square Enix by far.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
The best stuff came from Squaresoft.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Does anyone else besides me think the company was better off as Squaresoft rather than SquareEnix? Doesn't all of the SquareEnix main characters (or sub character) ressemble Yuna from FFX? Is FF going down the drain with SquareEnix?yung_slym

Well what do you expect? All the talented designers were either fired or left the company.

SquareEnix lacks employees with talent on Square part. Enix part is doing alright.

the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_new_neo
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
In all fairness FF has been going down the tubes since VII. Each game has gotten progressively worse especially after the disgrace that was X-2. SquareSoft was definately much better than SquareEnix.
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

Squaresoft by MILES

FF7 & 8

Parasite Eve

Xenogears

:(

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
yes
austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

[QUOTE="yung_slym"]Does anyone else besides me think the company was better off as Squaresoft rather than SquareEnix? Doesn't all of the SquareEnix main characters (or sub character) ressemble Yuna from FFX? Is FF going down the drain with SquareEnix?TriangleHard

Well what do you expect? All the talented designers were either fired or left the company.

SquareEnix lacks employees with talent on Square part. Enix part is doing alright.

The thing with Enix is, I don't think they ever had an internal devepopment staff. All their games always have a smaller teams name attached to it. For example:

Quintet made Actraizer 1&2 and the Soul Blader trilogy consisting of Soul Blader/Blazer, Gaia Gensouki/Illusion of Gaia/Illusion of Time and Tenchi Souzou/Teranigma

Chun Soft made DQV and the Fushigi no Dungeon: Tourneko no Daibouken games.

Tri-Ace made Star Ocean on the SFC, and PS1 and Valkyrie Profile on the PS1

Heart Beat made DQVI

Level 5 made DQVIII and IX

I can't remember the name of the team that made DQVII and DQIV on the PS1 or the team that made Buning Rangers on the SFC (can't be bothered getting up to look at the boxes of those games either)

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

square soft is better

even though i liked 12

final fantasy stops at 9

1-9 13-....... dont exist in my mind mine

thanks for selling out square xbox only owners are not going to appreaciate the game like us ps owners had for years

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

Squaresoft was sooooo much better before they merged with Enix.

Not just the Final Fantasy series that lost some quality, but you can tell with Kingdom Hearts. The first one was by Squaresoft epic, large areas, you can actually get lost, first play through: ~40 hours.

Kingdom Hearts II by SquareEnix and you got extremely linear areas where you just ran a straight line, ridiculously easy even on Proud mode, first play through: 21 hours

So yeah you can definitely see their downfall starting to decline.

assassin517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 assassin517
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

Okay so I don't want to be the odd one of the bunch but..... what happenend? I am fairly new to series I only played FFX and FFXII and i thought they were great games. I didn't know the difference between SquareSoft and SquareEnix. Why did they merge? Was the FFVII and FFVIII really that great? I thought FFX was proubaly one of the best games I have ever played.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TriangleHard

Okay so I don't want to be the odd one of the bunch but..... what happenend? I am fairly new to series I only played FFX and FFXII and i thought they were great games. I didn't know the difference between SquareSoft and SquareEnix. Why did they merge? Was the FFVII and FFVIII really that great? I thought FFX was proubaly one of the best games I have ever played.

assassin517

The quality of Square game didn't drop because they merged with Enix.

Merger has NOTHING to do with drop in quality.

The quality of games took a hit when Square failed miserably financially when they made that movie Final Fantasy Spirits Within.

Due to that, their budget took a big hit. Thanks to that, the father of Final Fantasy Sakaguchi left.

Also due to lack of budget, many of thier games took a hit. Xenogears suffered from budget problem and ended up being published incomplete. Due to that many employees left the company, feeling insulted.

Then Square tried to start too many Final Fantasy projects at once, starting with X XI and XII. X was their normal trend, but XII ended up being too ambitious. That too ended up being not being fully completed and due to that Square lost another talented employee, Matsuno.

To make up from lack of budget, they ended up creating budget games like Final Fantasy X-2, handhelds, and remakes. Eventually that wasn't enough, and they ended up merging with Enix, so they can continue their aggressive trend in developmen, which was halted thanks to the big loss with the movies.

Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mongo-Boss
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
Square-Enix hasn't made one single game that stounds out or is half as good as Squaresoft's were. 5 Levels is the way to go since Square-Enix took over.
yungswift44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yungswift44
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts

Final fantasy 7, 8 and 9 were the best IMO, yeah, i miss the good ol' Squaresoft days....:cry:Abicus7

agreed to the fullest!

northypoley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 northypoley
Member since 2003 • 1672 Posts
Maybe its just a coincidence, but the Final fantasy went on a down hill since SquareSoft became SquareEnix. If i remember correctly, FFX was the last SquareSoft game and the games after that, not necessarily bad, but they were definitely not as good as the games before it. I mean, FFX-2, that was not a really great game at all, not bad, but not great, especially for a FF title. FFXII, the story, though many people thought it was great and was focused on politics, but it wasn't a game to buy a PS2 over.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TriangleHard

Square-Enix hasn't made one single game that stounds out or is half as good as Squaresoft's were. 5 Levels is the way to go since Square-Enix took over.Mongo-Boss

Enix side still pumped up quality games like Valkyrie Profile 2. Also what did 5 levels make outside of Enix? White Knight Story looks good, but I won't say it's good until I play it. Rogue Galaxy was pretty poor in my book.

As long as Tri-Ace is under Enix and Yuuji Horii is still employed by Enix, they should still be king of the hill.

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 project-exile
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts
[QUOTE="assassin517"]

TriangleHard

The quality of games took a hit when Square failed miserably financially when they made that movie Final Fantasy Spirits Within.

Due to that, their budget took a big hit. Thanks to that, the father of Final Fantasy Sakaguchi left.

Also due to lack of budget, many of thier games took a hit. Xenogears suffered from budget problem and ended up being published incomplete. Due to that many employees left the company, feeling insulted.

Then Square tried to start too many Final Fantasy projects at once, starting with X XI and XII. X was their normal trend, but XII ended up being too ambitious. That too ended up being not being fully completed and due to that Square lost another talented employee, Matsuno.

To make up from lack of budget, they ended up creating budget games like Final Fantasy X-2, handhelds, and remakes. Eventually that wasn't enough, and they ended up merging with Enix, so they can continue their aggressive trend in developmen, which was halted thanks to the big loss with the movies.

I think it was fate after sakaguchi to leave square and then the company goes down hill. When the creator of the series leaves and takes with him the whole development team that is saying something. With the game xenogears it really did not feel complete. The first disc you could do anything then the second disc you where stuck reading through stories but not getting to freely move. I think square enix is trying to come up with some good ideas but not having the talent has really hurt them in the long run. Squaresoft had tons of great games that you could play for hours and square enix just does not have it. I wish it was not that way but I really do not see square enix ever topping square soft in terms of games and talent. I really thought the movie advent children was great visually but when it was over I was left with the feeling is that it. I think one day square enix will shut its doors and be left in failure because of their stupid moves and firing people. Like I said I think it is fate.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

A lot of people have been feeling this way, whether it's due to the actual merger, or something else is up-for-grabs, but certainly recent 'square' games don't have that same aura as they used to. Now given i haven't actually played all ff's, but even i felt a bit of a change with the merger. ffxii is prob the best example of this, good story, pretty good gameplay, but somehow the two didn't connect, be it pacing problems or what not. It makes it stand out amongst the other ff's (though i rate it above ffviii, heh).

Though more recent games like ff tactics wotl and crisis core seem to be regaining the 'square' aura, though still off. Hopefully ffxiii will be the return of 'square' at their best.

FFF4N4T1C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#35 FFF4N4T1C
Member since 2005 • 925 Posts

I agree that Squaresoft was better. All the best titles came out under them.

SE seems to be getting too greedy and it's hurting quality.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"][QUOTE="assassin517"]

project-exile

I think it was fate after sakaguchi to leave square and then the company goes down hill. When the creator of the series leaves and takes with him the whole development team that is saying something. With the game xenogears it really did not feel complete. The first disc you could do anything then the second disc you where stuck reading through stories but not getting to freely move. I think square enix is trying to come up with some good ideas but not having the talent has really hurt them in the long run. Squaresoft had tons of great games that you could play for hours and square enix just does not have it. I wish it was not that way but I really do not see square enix ever topping square soft in terms of games and talent. I really thought the movie advent children was great visually but when it was over I was left with the feeling is that it. I think one day square enix will shut its doors and be left in failure because of their stupid moves and firing people. Like I said I think it is fate.

Personally, I think Enix side is too competent to let Square-Enix go down.

If it wasn't for merger, I'd say Square was walking down the path of bankruptcy, but because they have Enix on their side they will always be JRPG king.

Dante9916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Dante9916
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts

Hmm.

Squaresoft indeed made thos great games,but they too did some fairly stupid games like Bouncer.

Square Enix made Kingdom hearts with disney didint it?

Fianl Fntasy XII sucked really bad. But you know, in this generation is not same as at Ps1 time.

Back then there was only ps1 and they did everything to that.

And ps2 was the same. They had to focus only 1 console because every1 had it or wanted it.

Now its difrent story. Wii is leading now, but games wont sell **** on it. Ps3 is somewhat future console, gonna be something like 10 years on market?

Xbox is for Americans and games sell pretty much on it.

Nik_Hasri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nik_Hasri

Hmm.

Squaresoft indeed made thos great games,but they too did some fairly stupid games like Bouncer.

Square Enix made Kingdom hearts with disney didint it?

Fianl Fntasy XII sucked really bad. But you know, in this generation is not same as at Ps1 time.

Back then there was only ps1 and they did everything to that.

And ps2 was the same. They had to focus only 1 console because every1 had it or wanted it.

Now its difrent story. Wii is leading now, but games wont sell **** on it. Ps3 is somewhat future console, gonna be something like 10 years on market?

Xbox is for Americans and games sell pretty much on it.

Dante9916

if im not mistaken KH was released before the merger...as was FFX....and after those 2 games i think wat was said above is correct there is no sense of connection in the game....heck i didnt feel connected to the games (eg FFXII) as i did with the perivious games....

and yes assassin517 FFX was a great game one of the best ive played as well.....u serisously missed out if u havent played the FFs before X though....and other squaresoft games for that matter....

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

Does anyone else besides me think the company was better off as Squaresoft rather than SquareEnix? Doesn't all of the SquareEnix main characters (or sub character) ressemble Yuna from FFX? Is FF going down the drain with SquareEnix?yung_slym

Squaresoft push out games faster then Squareenix

LordReithgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LordReithgar
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts

Peoples are just realizing what I've been claiming for the past few years. Most games since the merging are flukes and they have dubious marketing strategy like releasing spinoff games on mobiles?!?!????

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="yung_slym"]Does anyone else besides me think the company was better off as Squaresoft rather than SquareEnix? Doesn't all of the SquareEnix main characters (or sub character) ressemble Yuna from FFX? Is FF going down the drain with SquareEnix?LordReithgar

Peoples are just realizing what I've been claiming for the past few years. Most games since the merging are flukes and they have dubious marketing strategy like releasing spinoff games on mobiles?!?!????

Once again, that has nothing to do merger.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

If Square-Enix games are as "boring" as everyone says they are then...stop buying them.

Company will keep making more RPG's as long as people are buying their products.

Want a better RPG? Look some place else, if not then play their RPG's. Is it really that hard to understand?

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TriangleHard

If Square-Enix games are as "boring" as everyone says they are then...stop buying them.

Company will keep making more RPG's as long as people are buying their products.

Want a better RPG? Look some place else, if not then play their RPG's. Is it really that hard to understand?

gokuofheaven

And is it too much for fans to ask for improvement in thieir products? Especially if they are not upto par with what they used to make?

Consumer has the right to complain. Those complaints are what makes industry improve.

Also aren't these kind of forum exists so people can discuss something like this? why are you complaining because people are doing exactly that?

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 project-exile

A lot of people have been feeling this way, whether it's due to the actual merger, or something else is up-for-grabs, but certainly recent 'square' games don't have that same aura as they used to. Now given i haven't actually played all ff's, but even i felt a bit of a change with the merger. ffxii is prob the best example of this, good story, pretty good gameplay, but somehow the two didn't connect, be it pacing problems or what not. It makes it stand out amongst the other ff's (though i rate it above ffviii, heh).

Though more recent games like ff tactics wotl and crisis core seem to be regaining the 'square' aura, though still off. Hopefully ffxiii will be the return of 'square' at their best.

Sphire

I have to agree with you square enix does not have that aura square soft used to have. I hope you are right about ff 13 capturing that same magic they once had.

-Jashan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Jashan-
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts
they got me ff7 8 and 9 so SS
CrazyFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CrazyFanboy
Member since 2005 • 639 Posts

Everything SS made was epic and memorable. SS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SE

All those great snes / ps1 rpgs!!!!!

now we get crap like FFXII!!!

G3ckobain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 G3ckobain
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

:roll: ... lot of you are saying SquareEnix sux, just cuz they go 360 style ... but we all were praising them before that ...

Still SquareSoft >>>>> SquareEnix by far ...

What i don't get is how these company are going bankrupt when they sell millions of copies with every single title they put on the market ...and a lot of them being terribly bad. I mean what do they do with all that money ??

LordReithgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LordReithgar
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts
[QUOTE="LordReithgar"]

[QUOTE="yung_slym"]Does anyone else besides me think the company was better off as Squaresoft rather than SquareEnix? Doesn't all of the SquareEnix main characters (or sub character) ressemble Yuna from FFX? Is FF going down the drain with SquareEnix?TriangleHard

Once again, that has nothing to do merger.

Strangely, since the merging the products quality has gone down the sink. Maybe it's not related to the merging as mentioned in provious post. But we can still relate it that way. To me it's just two different point of view of the very same situation. If Squaresoft would have kept their personal and if they wouldn't have made wrong marketing choices, the merging wouldn,t have had happened. Products would still have kept the standard and we wouldn't suffer Enix dubious marketing strategy by putting a game on one console and it's spin off on every otehr consoles but except the one they 've released the original game.

Since the merging what hurt Square the most is that they are baffling the fan base of a said game when they release one game for a certain console and loads of spin off on every other console imaginable but not the one you released the original game on (ie : FF XII (Ps2), FF XII : Revenant Wings (DS instead of Ps2 or PsP) or FF VII : Before Crisis (Mobile instead of PsP).

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 project-exile
I did not like ff 12 at all. I thought it was to big and the battle system was really sucked in my opinion. I would have rather played ff 6 than that crap. I think se just does not have the talent to make memorable and epic games anymore. I really don't see that changing any time soon.
plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

:roll: ... lot of you are saying SquareEnix sux, just cuz they go 360 style ... but we all were praising them before that ...

Still SquareSoft >>>>> SquareEnix by far ...

What i don't get is how these company are going bankrupt when they sell millions of copies with every single title they put on the market ...and a lot of them being terribly bad. I mean what do they do with all that money ??

G3ckobain

Simply ... mostly because of this It's actually a very hard blow when you invest a lot in the process and simply end up losing 130 millions.

I personally think they didn't release the movie at the right time ... way too soon, people were not ready for this kind of technology and from the get go it scared them ( I don't remember the term for this) Not that it was good ... it was not ... but not bad to THAT point