Sony is considering "onlinepass" option.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1115554p1.html

I don't know about you but i won't buy any games who has that crap on. One more reason for me to get rid of my ps3 if it ever happens.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah they are slowly creeping towards another XBL hoping no one will notice...
rockyoumonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rockyoumonkeys
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

I'll probably go along with it, so long as Sony admits that they're big fat hypocrites for criticizing MS over Live's business model.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

If I read it correctly.... they are just making it so you cant go and rent it and play all of the games features. Like BFBC2. Which makes since. It's all about money. I understand.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

I don't want to pay for online! That is why xbox users keep coming over to the PS3, they have some of the same games and better ones with FREE online! If Sony takes that away, I am going to be ticked!

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
[QUOTE="jack00"]

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1115554p1.html

I don't know about you but i won't buy any games who has that crap on. One more reason for me to get rid of my ps3 if it ever happens.

i refuse to buy such games despite the fact that i buy all my games new , if a company treats its customers like that i dont wanna be their customer
FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

I don't want to pay for online! That is why xbox users keep coming over to the PS3, they have some of the same games and better ones with FREE online! If Sony takes that away, I am going to be ticked!

Hammstray

You won't pay for online playing. You also will not pay for online playing for any new game that you buy. You would only have to pay for online content if you buy a used game, or I guess rent a game, if the company/developers would even allow this.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

[QUOTE="Hammstray"]

FIREKNIGHT19

You won't pay for online playing. You also will not pay for online playing for any new game that you buy. You would only have to pay for online content if you buy a used game, or I guess rent a game, if the company/developers would even allow this.

thats seems fair

so we don't pay for online

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

garbage! just keep it free, and add new features to the ps+ if anyone wants to pay for better online. i dont play online that much so i would definatly not pay for this.

Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

I really hope they just mean the anti used game thing. You can call that greedy, but to be fair if you buy a used game you aren't the customer of Sony/Ea/etc you are a customer of Gamestop/Amazon/etc, since used games give the devs no money.

However, if they start charging for online in general it's bye bye ps3, for me and for many more. It would just be an utterly foolish thing to do, pissing off most of the userbase and suffering a major backlash.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

that's when we must fight, with this they're trying to kill the "used games" business, not only make us pay for online gaming ; this will not only make us pay more for games, but then make many gaming shops close and thus kill many jobs

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
Yeah they are slowly creeping towards another XBL hoping no one will notice...JohnF111
haha i know right! that makes me mad honestly. i have a ps3 now because i wanted free online play. (not the main reason but one of them) I really hope they don't charge for online.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

once again, i can see many posters jumping to conclusion without reading and thinking carefully.....

personally, i have no problem with this. while selling and playing used games is not illegal, devs/publishers have the right to profit from their online services. also, if EA is of any indication, these pass will likely be very cheap. i honestly don't see why people complain when they will gladly spend more for some crappy DLCs that offer next to nothing.

bottom line.... buy your games new. problem solved.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Microsoft makes a quarry load of money from its online. Sony is a company after all, they want money. I don't know if I would pay for such a thing, but If It improves the service, then maybe it is worthwhile.

natenation87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 natenation87
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts

I have both a PS3 and 360 and one thing I love about the PS3 is free online, it's a big draw.I wouldn't pay for online.

If they are thinking of charging people who buy secondhand then I think that is wrong. Games are not cheap, here in Australia they can be as much as $100. Some people don't have a choice but to buy secondhand, maybe if they didn't charge ridiculous prices some people wouldn't need to buy secondhand. The games industry isn't struggling, it's worth billions of dollars.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It sounds like they're talking about making their games have free online for those who purchase them new, and if you buy used, you'll have to pay a one-time fee to access the online portion. Same a what other publishers like EA are doing. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the PSN.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I could care less if they start charging. I gamed before online, I'llgame without. It's the most useless part of a title. I'm all about the SP game, and don't use many (if ANY, lately) of my games online as it is. I also wait for games to drop in price either new or used. I don't pay new-game prices except for every blue moon when something like Gran Turismo comes out...

... go ahead and become even more hypocritical, Sony. See what I care. It's not going to affect me one bit. Throw it at the wall, see how much sticks. What, with the raging sales of "PSN-Plus". Whatta JOKE.

Y'all are making a big deal over nothing here, in my opinion.

grungeman91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 grungeman91
Member since 2008 • 617 Posts

Hammstray
That's why I left Xbox Live for PSN and that you have to pay a price for a year's or 3 month's subscription to a terrible online community. Anyhoo, You still get to go online if you buy the game new and not used or pre-owned (it'll have a code in the box like the ones from EA probably)
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Yeah, they just want us to buy new. I've known for years that used games hurt the gaming industry. If we buy new, the people who put the game on the market receive money in addition to the store we bought the game. If we buy used, then just the store we bought it at gets the money.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

People are blowing this out of proportion. If you buy a game new, nothing changes. It's only if you buy it used that you will end up paying more. I don't see how this is like the 360 at all. You are only saving 5 dollars buy buying it used anyway. Doesn't EA give you online free for a week or something before they lock you out of online? The only problem I could see with this is if someone couldn't find a new copy of X game.

As long as Sony offers a trial period for online, then it's fine. Developers don't want 10 people playing 1 copy of a game. That is understandable.

So as long as you buy a game new, nothing changes. If you can't afford it, just wait until the price of the game drops.

Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Deaho
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

I don't buy used games ,because I hate used games,but I always wait for price of the game to go down and then I buy it .

any way the main point I want to say is not all the people have 60 dollars to pay for new games so why they are pushing them to buy new games or make them pay more to get every thing from game.

seriously game company's these days are just thinking about money all the time which is not good and would make the people hate them.

Macri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Macri
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts
I am so surprised how no one is actually reading the article!! Open your eyes people... It's all good if you buy New titles. New titles will include a code to activate your account for online play. If its like EA's thing, you would have 7 day trial until you are forced to enter a valid code. THIS IS NOT A SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE LIVE XBL!!
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I don't buy used games ,because I hate used games,but I always wait for price of the game to go down and then I buy it .

any way the main point I want to say is not all the people have 60 dollars to pay for new games so why they are pushing them to buy new games or make them pay more to get every thing from game.

seriously game company's these days are just thinking about money all the time which is not good and would make the people hate them.

Deaho

The used copies of games that are relatively new aren't that much cheaper. $55 for a used copy is almost nothing. I do agree with letting the price drop. My theory is, if you like a game enough to want to play day 1, then it's a game you wouldn't mind buying new anyway.

I don't see the issue because a lot of people only buy games with multiplayer so I don't see the complaint.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i dont plan on getting this
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#26 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

its not a HUGE deal, but its funny to see how many people can justify this as "ok". I for one buy used games often, when i see a deal. Of course if the price difference between new and used is $5-$10, then i will generally buy the game new. But once in a while i'll come across a $20-$25 difference in price.

Im not surprised by EA following this model, but Sony pushing this is frusterating. I expect for MS to follow suit later one, which will be a big piss off. I understand trying to control the used game market is a fair business practice for this publishers, but come on. $10? Thats very steep imo. Thats the price of a lot of XBLA and PSN games. And aside from all us who are aware of this, how about the majority of casual gamers who wont have a clue. If this becomes a standard, it better be mandatory for the publishers to print these terms in BIG on the box for everyone to see.

I understand they want their money...but with the overpricing of DLC and other trash we've dealt with this generation, this is getting a little out of hand.

BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts
I'm fine with it...I buy my games new 90-95% of the time...if devs make a solid game I reward them with the money they rightly deserve...
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Well, that sucks. I buy all my game used and now they want to charge me a fee if I want to play online? Therefore eliminating any or most of the reason for buying a used game...saving money.

Then again, I've been increasingly turned off online gaming, so it wouldn't be a huge blow to my gaming experience.

Avatar image for MysteriousNacht
MysteriousNacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MysteriousNacht
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I would not mind since it would make the PSN better.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
Wait so am I understanding this correctly? We'll have to pay to get the PHYSICAL game disc and then pay MORE money just to activate the online features? You gotta be ****ing kidding me?
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

My post from the System Wars thread:

Well, IMO it's fair. Devs/Publishers don't see a cent from used games so why would they give you any traffic or power of their servers to allow you playing online? I completly agree that they do not have to offer their services for free and as long as it does not affect the people who buy the games new, I'm more than fine with it

king40oz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 king40oz
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i dont plan on getting thisjcopp72
Getting what? theres nothing to get. just buy new games not used. Its like EA with BFBC2. Buy it new and you get the VIP code for free in the box. Buy it used and you will havre to pay for the pass through th PS store. Its a way for the gaming companies to make money as they do not make a dime with used games. HINT PSn is already charging for online but its an option its called PS PLUS. PS base online is and always will I assume remain free. SO IF YOU PLAY GAMES ONLINE JUST BUY THAT GAME NEW NOT USED. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Sony has every right to do this. I support the concept myself. At least developers/publishers get a bit out of it as well now.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmnesiaHaze
I would not mind since it would make the PSN better.MysteriousNacht
how ? :D
FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

Wait so am I understanding this correctly? We'll have to pay to get the PHYSICAL game disc and then pay MORE money just to activate the online features? You gotta be ****ing kidding me?anime_gamer007

ONLY if you buy the game used. If you buy the game brand new then you do not have to pay anything.

WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

im pretty sure sony was referring to making you pay a one time fee if you bought the game used to access the online play, toward the end of an article here on gamespot it has sony saying their free online service is what has made them successful and that they would struggle with a monthly fee(obviously not in those words).

i got jipped out of some free content when i bought Dragon Age:Origins...i chose to get the game used for 5 bucks cheaper and later realised it came with codes to unlock a few things....obviously someone already used up them codes! should have just bought the damn game new!

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcopp72
i dont plan on getting thisjcopp72
ok now that i actually know what that artical is saying, i wont bother me because i don't buy used games. All they are doing is making it so that if you buy a used game, you would have to buy a code to unlock the online play. New games would come with a code to unlock the online play.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jcopp72
[QUOTE="jcopp72"]i dont plan on getting thisking40oz
Getting what? theres nothing to get. just buy new games not used. Its like EA with BFBC2. Buy it new and you get the VIP code for free in the box. Buy it used and you will havre to pay for the pass through th PS store. Its a way for the gaming companies to make money as they do not make a dime with used games. HINT PSn is already charging for online but its an option its called PS PLUS. PS base online is and always will I assume remain free. SO IF YOU PLAY GAMES ONLINE JUST BUY THAT GAME NEW NOT USED. PROBLEM SOLVED.

yea i didn't understand the article the 1st time i read it, i never buy used games, I only buy them new, so it wont affect me at all.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

[QUOTE="MysteriousNacht"]I would not mind since it would make the PSN better.AmnesiaHaze

I love when people think a monetary charge = better quality :lol:

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"][QUOTE="MysteriousNacht"]I would not mind since it would make the PSN better.Rakuho

Apple has too much power.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AmnesiaHaze

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"][QUOTE="MysteriousNacht"]I would not mind since it would make the PSN better.Rakuho

will psn be better if people have to pay "penalties" for buying used games :D ?

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Yeah they are slowly creeping towards another XBL hoping no one will notice...JohnF111
WTF.. this doesn't have anything to do with XBL. The article is referring to games such as EA which requires an online access code. There are EA titles on PS3 which requires the online access code ya know?
Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Sony has every right to do this. I support the concept myself. At least developers/publishers get a bit out of it as well now.

Hexagon_777
yeah lets just ignore all the millions and millions they make from world wide sales before hand.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rakuho
I don't mind if Sony implements this new charging method if it will help devs get some more bang for their buck, and, to a certain degree, help Sony keep PSN free as this new method will offer Sony a new venue, which Sony so desperately seems to desire, to collect more green from their customer-base. Warning: the following text consists of a personal stance/rant that may be considered off-topic :P: *Note: the pretense of this rant is that "Sony will eventually charge for its PSN service."* For the most part, my position on supporting certain companies has and always will be based on the idea that if I want something -and if purchasing "that something" fits within my budget- then I will most likely buy it. In terms of the current case, the whole (alleged) "hypocrisy" that revolves around Sony's philosophy about paying for PSN services or other related items/activities has no bearing on my use and enjoyment of Sony's products. I don't take things like "a corporation going back on its word (or something of a similar nature)" personally. For a person to put complete and blind trust into any company is naive, as you should always expect that if there's a way for a company to nickel and dime you it will do so (usually in a manner that least tarnishes that companies' reputation). At the end of the day, it's all business, and frankly, companies/corporations have every right (within legal bounds) to enact various charges for their products... just like we have every right not to purchase those products if we think they're overpriced or are simply pure ****. So yes, it could be enraging if all of the sudden you are asked to pay for something that was once promised to be free in perpetuity... but as long you have the desire to be entertained, you must accept the ultimate axiom that companies that create luxury goods are always looking for ways to make a profit, even if they break a few dedicated hearts in the process. [sure, people can argue that that's not all that companies care about, and those people would have valid arguments... but let's be real here, incentives (usually in the form of profit) matter.]
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rakuho

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"] how ? :DAmnesiaHaze

will psn be better if people have to pay "penalties" for buying used games :D ?

I don't see how one has anything to do with the other unless Sony actually uses the revenues from the "penalties" to refurbish PSN :?

plus why are you asking me... aren't we in agreement that charging customers a fee doesn't mean that the quality of the end product will automatically improve?

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

Why is anybody surprised by this. I fully expect every company to do something similar in the near future. these guys are looking to kill the used games market.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

They're welcome to try and shut down used sales, whatever... t won't effect me one way or the other.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
It is as simple as if you buy a new game you are paying to use their online servers. If you buy a game used you will have to pay for the chance to jump on their online servers. If you buy a game used then you are giving 0 money to Sony and they have every right to deny you their service because you havent payed for it.
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
I gamefly a lot, so this would piss me off somewhat. Some people do not have the luxury to buy new games all of the time or just buy games in general.