Sony getting Sued for banning Linux

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Daxo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Daxo90
Member since 2009 • 1533 Posts

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/blog-post/1603817/sony-sued-banning-linux

Gamespot wont let me link the kotaku article since it contains the word Cla.ss in the address :roll:

Sorry if posted already I didn't see it.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
I'm not really surprised, someone was bound to do it. And honestly, I don't hold anything against Sony for doing what they did.
jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

Yea someone sued but ruling will be in Sony's favor. They removed linux for a legit reason. They removed it cause of people that want to hack their system using linux. Blame the hackers on this one, not Sony.

Also if a person does not update that means they decline the user agreement. Thats a man-made decision so why should Sony be at fault for that. They offer services for free anyways.

I miss the linux support but working in IT security i completely understand. If someone hacks the PS3 Sony will lose, big time. Someone has already turned this patch back around and added back other operating support with the blu-ray update. Just have to deal with no online play. Give and Take.

nextgen2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 nextgen2007
Member since 2007 • 744 Posts

old news, by the way.

I liked having linux on my PS3 and was very sad when they took it away.

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
So they're eliminating a feature that they've been promoting since launch and screwing all the PS3 gamers just to fight off a little piracy in their platform? Nice going....
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
The majority of people never used it. Even most people who are linux friendly didnt use it. Some did, but not enough to legitimize keeping it IMO.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
It's only another 300 to get another console and then they can keep thier linux instead of spending thousands on litigation.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
The majority of people never used it. Even most people who are linux friendly didnt use it. Some did, but not enough to legitimize keeping it IMO.budboarder
Its still a feature, its like America being free since 1776 then all the sudden in 2011 they decide to go nationalist. What stops them from taking my ps2 BC from my 60GB?
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
[QUOTE="budboarder"]The majority of people never used it. Even most people who are linux friendly didnt use it. Some did, but not enough to legitimize keeping it IMO.Fightingfan
Its still a feature, its like America being free since 1776 then all the sudden in 2011 they decide to go nationalist. What stops them from taking my ps2 BC from my 60GB?

umm real hardware. thats a little hard, also im sure people are not dye hard to be boot legging ps2 games for ps3. i think its a smart move for sony as well.
jacky531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jacky531
Member since 2007 • 1121 Posts

I hope that this dude is successful so that maybe just maybe we might get linux back...

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jbc7343
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts

I wish everyone would stop whining about losing the Install Other OS function of the Playstation 3. It's not coming back. No matter how much litigation is involved.

If this is so important why don't people sue about online functionality of some games being dropped? EA just recently dropped online support for numerous titles, some of which I'm sure people on this board have payed for to play online. Don't give that crap about the back of the box saying they can retire their online services at any time with a 30 days notice because I'm sure Sony has something similar in place for their firmware.

What about DRM on the PC? Any lawsuits against that? I'm sure someone can pull something out of their butt like "Ubisoft's DRM is a violation of my Civil Rights".

We are still in a recession and the only thing gamers can do with their time is sue a game corporation because one of their rarely used features was removed for security reasons. It's people like this that is the blame for why everyone doesn't take gamers seriously.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="budboarder"]The majority of people never used it. Even most people who are linux friendly didnt use it. Some did, but not enough to legitimize keeping it IMO.Fightingfan

:lol: I'm sorry, I couldn't help but stop reading there..

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I wish everyone would stop whining about losing the Install Other OS function of the Playstation 3. It's not coming back. No matter how much litigation is involved.

If this is so important why don't people sue about online functionality of some games being dropped? EA just recently dropped online support for numerous titles, some of which I'm sure people on this board have payed for to play online. Don't give that crap about the back of the box saying they can retire their online services at any time with a 30 days notice because I'm sure Sony has something similar in place for their firmware.

What about DRM on the PC? Any lawsuits against that? I'm sure someone can pull something out of their butt like "Ubisoft's DRM is a violation of my Civil Rights".

We are still in a recession and the only thing gamers can do with their time is sue a game corporation because one of their rarely used features was removed for security reasons. It's people like this that is the blame for why everyone doesn't take gamers seriously.

jbc7343

As much as I like you, I have to somewhat disagree.

Yes, the whining does have to stop, but if you think about it, these guys aren't whining. People in forums whine; these guys are taking action. I also do agree about the EA thing, but right now, this is a bigger issue. Honestly, if people actually cared about those dead EA commuinities, people would revolt, but they're not.

Apparently the Install OS feature is enough incentive for people to get up and do something.

Besides, I think the removal of the feature, even if I never used it, was wrong on Sony's part. If you updated your console to 3.21, then you lost the Install Other OS option, something that was advertised as being a part of the console's functionalities when people dropped $400 - $600 on it; on the other hand, if you choose not to update and keep the option, you lose internet play - yet another feature to be advertised as being one of the PS3's many features.

Sony put their consumers in a "you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't" position and that's wrong.

That's my $0.02. Whatever Sony does makes no difference to me, so I'm not going to whine or complain - just putting that out there.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

It's Sony's software, its theirs to do whatever they want with it. That guy from California isn't going to win this case.

Dragard_Kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#15 Dragard_Kaos
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts
Hm, well they did take away something that they promised and something people payed for, so I think it's wrong on one side, but right on the other. I bought a slim (never had an original) so I never had that feature, and honestly, I wouldn't use it, although I do run Linux (helena) on my PC.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
So they're eliminating a feature that they've been promoting since launch and screwing all the PS3 gamers just to fight off a little piracy in their platform? Nice going....TheBigBadGRIM
Yeah like the trivial piracy problem on the PSP; oh wait. Also, how many people out there bought their PS3's because they wanted a Linux box?
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
Hm, well they did take away something that they promised and something people payed forDragard_Kaos
Who paid for it? Linux is a free, open platform, and Sony was offering this service for free. Nothing was paid for. No money or goods were exchanged.
jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jbc7343

[QUOTE="jbc7343"]

Scianix-Black

Yes, the whining does have to stop, but if you think about it, these guys aren't whining. People in forums whine; these guys are taking action. I also do agree about the EA thing, but right now, this is a bigger issue. Honestly, if people actually cared about those dead EA commuinities, people would revolt, but they're not.

Apparently the Install OS feature is enough incentive for people to get up and do something.

Besides, I think the removal of the feature, even if I never used it, was wrong on Sony's part. If you updated your console to 3.21, then you lost the Install Other OS option, something that was advertised as being a part of the console's functionalities when people dropped $400 - $600 on it; on the other hand, if you choose not to update and keep the option, you lose internet play - yet another feature to be advertised as being one of the PS3's many features.

Sony put their consumers in a "you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't" position and that's wrong.

That's my $0.02. Whatever Sony does makes no difference to me, so I'm not going to whine or complain - just putting that out there.

Aww ... Well, I like you to. :P

But have you ever thought you bought a system and you never really bought the firmware. That's a proprietary OS that Playstation 3 is using. It doesn't matter if people are taking action. Nothing will be done by it.

Where was this "advertised feature" Let me Google this ...

So, after a quick Google search it seems that Other OS was infact introduced in a firmware update. It was never released with the system. How does this concern a launch feature when it wasn't one? It was patched in. Which would reflect that people did not pay for Linux support. I have never seen on any commercials or anything of the like advertising "Linux support". The only things I have seen are interviews saying the PS3 (and PS2) can run Linux. Wouldn't it just be a lot more economical to buy a pc than going to this length?

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jbc7343

[QUOTE="Dragard_Kaos"]Hm, well they did take away something that they promised and something people payed forclicketyclick
Who paid for it? Linux is a free, open platform, and Sony was offering this service for free. Nothing was paid for. No money or goods were exchanged.

I agree with you. I knew I liked you for a reason. :P

Dragard_Kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dragard_Kaos

[QUOTE="Dragard_Kaos"]Hm, well they did take away something that they promised and something people payed forclicketyclick

The feature came with the PS3 when bought, so they basically paid for a feature that was later taken away. I know Linux is free, but I don't/didn't think sony was offering that feature "for free."

EDIT: Now that I saw the post above, I see that the Other OS feature was free. Sony has all the rights to remove it if they wish then.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jbc7343

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="Dragard_Kaos"]Hm, well they did take away something that they promised and something people payed forDragard_Kaos

The feature came with the PS3 when bought, so they basically paid for a feature that was later taken away. I know Linux is free, but I don't/didn't think sony was offering that feature "for free."

EDIT: Now that I saw the post above, I see that the Other OS feature was free. Sony has all the rights to remove it if they wish then.

Also, the Install Other OS feature wasn't a launch feature ... it was patched in a firmware update. So no, people didn't pay for it. They received it for free.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Scianix-Black

So, after a quick Google search it seems that Other OS was infact introduced in a firmware update. It was never released with the system. How does this concern a launch feature when it wasn't one? It was patched in.

jbc7343

Oh, God damnit.

There goes my argument. I now have no respect for those guys suing for a quick buck.

I'll shut up now.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jbc7343

[QUOTE="jbc7343"]

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Scianix-Black

So, after a quick Google search it seems that Other OS was infact introduced in a firmware update. It was never released with the system. How does this concern a launch feature when it wasn't one? It was patched in.

Oh, God damnit.

There goes my argument. I'll shut up now.

Sorry Scianix!! :P

Dragard_Kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dragard_Kaos

[QUOTE="Dragard_Kaos"]

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] Who paid for it? Linux is a free, open platform, and Sony was offering this service for free. Nothing was paid for. No money or goods were exchanged.jbc7343

Also, the Install Other OS feature wasn't a launch feature ... it was patched in a firmware update. So no, people didn't pay for it. They received it for free.

Yeah... That's why I edited my post and added that little bit of info at the end...
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Sony is going to win this lawsuit easily. It's in their terms of use that Sony is allowed to add, remove, or alter anything they deem necessary. And you agree to this every time you sign onto PSN. That's why there's a clause where it says that if you do not agree to the terms of use, do not use PSN or Sony's websites and notify them to cancel your PSN account. You may own the system, but you are using THEIR free service and are bound to THEIR rules.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clicketyclick

jbc7343
I thought you liked me because of my charming good looks, and now you tell me you only liked me for what's inside! :cry: [QUOTE="Dragard_Kaos"] The feature came with the PS3 when bought, so they basically paid for a feature that was later taken away. I know Linux is free, but I don't/didn't think sony was offering that feature "for free."

Linux didn't come on any PS3s sold. This service and OS was not provided by Sony for the consumer to use when they bought the system. There was an ability to install it. This ability was taken away. There may also be an ability to do other things to the PS3 which Sony may take away. But none of this removes features that were sold to the consumer. If they took away your ability to play blu-rays, yes, it would be a serious issue. They'd be removing a feature people actually paid for. No-one paid for Linux on PS3.
Dragard_Kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dragard_Kaos
[QUOTE="jbc7343"]

clicketyclick
I thought you liked me because of my charming good looks, and now you tell me you only liked me for what's inside! :cry: [QUOTE="Dragard_Kaos"] The feature came with the PS3 when bought, so they basically paid for a feature that was later taken away. I know Linux is free, but I don't/didn't think sony was offering that feature "for free."

Linux didn't come on any PS3s sold. This service and OS was not provided by Sony for the consumer to use when they bought the system. There was an ability to install it. This ability was taken away. There may also be an ability to do other things to the PS3 which Sony may take away. But none of this removes features that were sold to the consumer. If they took away your ability to play blu-rays, yes, it would be a serious issue. They'd be removing a feature people actually paid for. No-one paid for Linux on PS3.

Yeah... I know that now, that's why I edited my post XD
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Scianix-Black

So now what..?

This was going to be a great debate, but someone actually had concrete evidence, and now the fun's over... it's just another complain thread.

|:

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="jbc7343"]

Scianix-Black

Oh, God damnit.

There goes my argument. I now have no respect for those guys suing for a quick buck.

I'll shut up now.

Well that's no fun. Ok I'll play devil's advocate. Even though the feature was patched in, it was a bullet point that you'd be able to use Linux on the system. It was an advertised feature that they removed. One could claim that advertising a feature to get people to buy the product and then removing that feature is an underhanded tactic that betrays consumer confidence and undermines the free market.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Flame_Blade88

So now what..?

This was going to be a great debate, but someone actually had concrete evidence, and now the fun's over... it's just another complain thread.

|:

Scianix-Black
Now you know how stupid and pointless the lawsuit is lol
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Scianix-Black

Well that's no fun. Ok I'll play devil's advocate. Even though the feature was patched in, it was a bullet point that you'd be able to use Linux on the system. It was an advertised feature that they removed. One could claim that advertising a feature to get people to buy the product and then removing that feature is an underhanded tactic that betrays consumer confidence and undermines the free market.

clicketyclick

Yeah, but it's obvious that they didn't intend to remove the feature from the start, so that wasn't their intention. Had GeoHotz not hacked... egh... sorry Click, it's just... it's not the same...

Now you know how stupid and pointless the lawsuit is lolFlame_Blade88

So... thread has derailed?

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
*sigh*... frivolous lawsuits FTL :(
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Flame_Blade88
*sigh*... frivolous lawsuits FTL :(Rakuho
I feel bad that the taxpayers' money is going to be wasted on this crap.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rakuho

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]*sigh*... frivolous lawsuits FTL :(Flame_Blade88
I feel bad that the taxpayers' money is going to be wasted on this crap.

well.. i'd rather have my tax money be spent on this blatant circus than on some "questionable" government activities... but, that's whole separate issue entirely :P.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Well that's no fun. Ok I'll play devil's advocate. Even though the feature was patched in, it was a bullet point that you'd be able to use Linux on the system. It was an advertised feature that they removed. One could claim that advertising a feature to get people to buy the product and then removing that feature is an underhanded tactic that betrays consumer confidence and undermines the free market.

Scianix-Black

Yeah, but it's obvious that they didn't intend to remove the feature from the start, so that wasn't their intention. Had GeoHotz not hacked... egh... sorry Click, it's just... it's not the same...

We can recapture the magic, Scianix! :cry: It doesn't matter intent at the time of offer. What matters is that people saw an ad advertising a feature or ability, and now they cannot perform it. IF a consumer bought a product based on the advertised abilities of the product, then no matter the intent at the time of advertising, it's still a breach of consumer trust. Think of the precedent that would set. Furthermore, the only justification would be to remove it for safety concerns for the consumer. But let's be realistic. This wasn't removed to protect anyone's PS3. This was removed to prevent pirating, and pirating hurts Sony and other devs, not the consumer.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Scianix-Black

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Well that's no fun. Ok I'll play devil's advocate. Even though the feature was patched in, it was a bullet point that you'd be able to use Linux on the system. It was an advertised feature that they removed. One could claim that advertising a feature to get people to buy the product and then removing that feature is an underhanded tactic that betrays consumer confidence and undermines the free market.

clicketyclick

We can recapture the magic, Scianix! :cry: It doesn't matter intent at the time of offer. What matters is that people saw an ad advertising a feature or ability, and now they cannot perform it. IF a consumer bought a product based on the advertised abilities of the product, then no matter the intent at the time of advertising, it's still a breach of consumer trust. Think of the precedent that would set. Furthermore, the only justification would be to remove it for safety concerns for the consumer. But let's be realistic. This wasn't removed to protect anyone's PS3. This was removed to prevent pirating, and pirating hurts Sony and other devs, not the consumer.

Well it clearly states in Sony's Terms of User Agreement that Sony has the ability to-... you gotta let it go... it's too late now...

This topic showed so much promise...

fm_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fm_coyote
Member since 2003 • 952 Posts

jbc7343
"We are still in a recession and the only thing gamers can do with their time is sue a game corporation because one of their rarely used features was removed for security reasons" How on EARTH does a recession have anything to do with this....
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rakuho

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

clicketyclick

I know that you're prolonging this just for kicks, but are you arguing that this is an ethical issue? Well, i guess this can only be an ethical issue since Sony has legal rights to remove Linux. And so then the question becomes "was that removal just?"... and that's pretty much as grey as an area can get. Personally, I agree with Sony's decision, but of course that's only because I never used Linux and I don't want the PS3 to be hacked (which could potentially diminish the dev's future incentive to develop games for the PS3).

ugh..anyway, before i get off track, the point that i really wanted to make (and the reason why I highlighted that excerpt) was that there are times when a company has to place its own interests -in Sony's case, the security of future profits- as the number one priority. Yes, i know that a lot of companies/corporations take that notion of "self interest" way too far, and hurt numerous "stakeholders" in the process, but is it really that bad that a company/corporation wants to protect itself from something potentially detrimental (which also has a way of indirectly trickling down onto the consumer)? We can argue that there were "other" methods that Sony could have implemented instead of completely removing Linux, but from a business perspective (which, i agree, could be questioned by some from an ethical perspective), it was the easiest (and cheapest) way to purge a compromised feature (and I think Sony's shareholders would share that sentiment... if they thought this "Linux" fiasco was a big deal in the first place, that is :P)

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clicketyclick
@Rakuho - no it's not bad for a company to protect itself from something potentially detrimental. But if they advertised that potentially detrimental thing as a feature or ability to consumers, then disable that feature/ability, then it is questionable. Imagine if sony disabled another ability that the PS3 has that they advertised too. One that you use. Well, what do you think about that? Especially if disabling it only serves their interests and does not protect or help you. Sure, every company has a very important duty to their shareholders and I know the law supports that. But companies also have a very serious duty to consumers over promises in ads that has long been established in law, far longer ago than law about shareholders I believe. Tbh, I think this lawsuit has a fair shot in court, but I don't think it'll ever make it to court. They'll probably settle for an undisclosed sum on the agreement to not talk to the media.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rakuho

@Rakuho - no it's not bad for a company to protect itself from something potentially detrimental. But if they advertised that potentially detrimental thing as a feature or ability to consumers, then disable that feature/ability, then it is questionable.

well, it wasn't a detrimental feature when it was released...

BUT I do believe that "hacking" was definitely a contingency that Sony should have foreseen prior to providing people with Linux. If anything, Sony's fault lies in adding Linux to the overall "advertised" package in the first place (after some update that i can't recall). But removing Linux once it became a legitimate threat (despite Sony's prior overlooks)? I can't blame Sony for that.. and i say that even though I'm with you on that the consumer is getting the short end of the stick.

Imagine if sony disabled another ability that the PS3 has that they advertised too. One that you use. Well, what do you think about that? Especially if disabling it only serves their interests and does not protect or help you.

Before jumping to any conclusions, i would first like to hear Sony's reasoning for the removal of that feature. If that reasoning would not fit within my realm of what is "just," then, naturally, i would be upset. Anyway, a hypothetical is fun and all, but we would really have to cross that bridge when, and if, we get to it. In the mean time, we only have Linux as an example, and Sony's justification for its removal is understandable.

Sure, every company has a very important duty to their shareholders and I know the law supports that. But companies also have a very serious duty to consumers over promises in ads that has long been established in law, far longer ago than law about shareholders I believe.

Absolutely. Which is why i quickly noticed that you were making an ethical case... and in fact, it is a question of ethics that involves a "breach of consumer trust" in a way... but the severity of that breach is arguable.

Tbh, I think this lawsuit has a fair shot in court, but I don't think it'll ever make it to court. They'll probably settle for an undisclosed sum on the agreement to not talk to the media.

yeah... that's probably what will happen. But if this suit does indeed go to court, it has the potential to go either way depending on the judge. I still think this whole thing is frivolous, but that doesn't mean the guy doesn't have a chance...

clicketyclick

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clicketyclick
I agree with you so I can't really argue further. I think it is questionable, the removal of this feature, but because it was so little used, and because I don't want games to be pirated because i want devs to make money on their games like you, I don't really blame sony for making the decision they did. The moral of the story is don't advertise things that you are leaving open rather than installing as a supported feature, or have a special legal disclaimer like Apple does when you install Windows on macs, that removes any legal obligations from you, and put it in the ads. Really I think Sony does have some liability here, but no-one really bought a PS3 just because it could do linux and the people who are using ps3s networked together with linux don't need to access the PSN so the update doesn't affect them. There are some people it affects, and it does really give them a hassle, but it's very few people. It would be in Sony's, their shareholders', and those consumers' best interests to just settle out of court and make the PR nightmare go away.
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

It's Sony's software, its theirs to do whatever they want with it. That guy from California isn't going to win this case.

KamuiFei
Imagine buying a car with say built in navigation and the car company suddenly decided to stop providing that service, so they give you a choice, You can either cop it and it can be tunred off or you cant use any other features apart from turning the car on? You wouldnt be happy then would you? Its pretty amazing what people will let companies get away with these days.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rakuho
Me saying anything more on this issue would be redundant. anyway, thanks for the engaging chat :).
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rakuho

[QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

Wuflungdung

Imagine buying a car with say built in navigation and the car company suddenly decided to stop providing that service, so they give you a choice, You can either cop it and it can be tunred off or you cant use any other features apart from turning the car on? You wouldnt be happy then would you? Its pretty amazing what people will let companies get away with these days.

but you're missing one point, the "reason" behind why car dealers would want to take away your GPS. You can't just say for the hell of it, because Sony had a reason (whether you agree with it or not) for removing Linux prior to leaving its customers with an ultimatum. And it would only be fair to draw an example that also contains such an element.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shawty1984
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

So they're eliminating a feature that they've been promoting since launch and screwing all the PS3 gamers just to fight off a little piracy in their platform? Nice going....TheBigBadGRIM

That feature is still there, they have not removed it, you have if you update, Im sick of saying this.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shawty1984

[QUOTE="jbc7343"]

Scianix-Black

Regardless of wether PSN was advertised (this does not matter, it was an advertisement to say you could use PSN, if you agree to their terms) You have never paid for PSN, its a free service offered by Sony and you have to agree to their T&C's to use said service. OtherOS is still there, so you only lose out if YOU decide to update, thats not Sony's fault, losing PSN is not a paid for feature and is seperate from the PS3 itself.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I'm not really surprised, someone was bound to do it. And honestly, I don't hold anything against Sony for doing what they did.LightR
Well, not when you advertise something as a selling point for the PS3 and then take it away. It does seem a little shiesty, and piracy is the last concern for PS3. Too bad they don't put more of their effort into giving us PS3 owners some more features, and make the hard drive managing less clunky. I think Sony's priority's are severely misguided.
shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shawty1984

[QUOTE="LightR"]I'm not really surprised, someone was bound to do it. And honestly, I don't hold anything against Sony for doing what they did.gamer082009
Well, not when you advertise something as a selling point for the PS3 and then take it away. It does seem a little shiesty, and piracy is the last concern for PS3. Too bad they don't put more of their effort into giving us PS3 owners some more features, and make the hard drive managing less clunky. I think Sony's priority's are severely misguided.

They have not took it away, its still there, its only took away if you agree that you want it took it away, I wish people would understand this.