So, Why Is Everyone All Up With NGP, But Still Down With PSP Go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChibiStewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ChibiStewie
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts

NGP still cant play UMD's. I dont see why everyones not flaming it like with the PSP Go. Nor did I understand why people flamed it in the first place. Sure you have tons of UMD's some people may have had less then 20 UMD's, so they got a PSP Go. If the main reason for dislike was having to re-buy all your games, then why isn't the NGP recieving as much hate as the PSP Go got?

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Even after the Go was released, they continued to make new games that Go could not play. It's anew version of the PSP.

NGP is a new generation. A lot of times new generations are not backward compatible, so it's nothing unusual. But it has a lot of new features that no previous PSP's can do.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Even after the Go was released, they continued to make new games that Go could not play. It's anew version of the PSP.

NGP is a new generation. A lot of times new generations are not backward compatible, so it's nothing unusual. But it has a lot of new features that no previous PSP's can do.

lazyathew
Exactly. The NGP is a new product, not a new iteration/upgrade.
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Hate it to say bud everything is going flash media even the NGP titles and PSN titles which is a good thing UMD discs were crap they would break very easily even if you take very good care of them.
ChibiStewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChibiStewie
[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

MAILER_DAEMON

But wasnt that the reason people disliked the PSP Go? It was the first download-only system.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Hate it to say bud everything is going flash media even the NGP titles and PSN titles which is a good thing UMD discs were crap they would break very easily even if you take very good care of them.Hekynn
^ This, I own a 3000 model but I never buy physical titles because of the UMDs.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="lazyathew"]

ChibiStewie

But wasnt that the reason people disliked the PSP Go? It was the first download-only system.

That was the problem and it was expensive compared to the 2000, 3000 PSP models. The NGP will not be a digital distribution only system (Sony learned their mistake).

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

ChibiStewie

The NGP isn't going to use UMDs, sure, but it's going to have some sort of physical media rather than be download only. Plus, aside from the PSP Go's ridiculous price, there was little reason to "upgrade" to one since the PSP library people had was incompatible with the Go... which is their prerogative when it comes to a new system like the NGP, but when you're just "upgrading" the hardware and features of an existing product, you hamstring it if you force people to re-buy everything for it. Again, all this is moot because the NGP will have physical media. Just not UMDs.
ChibiStewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChibiStewie
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="ChibiStewie"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"] But wasnt that the reason people disliked the PSP Go? It was the first download-only system.

The NGP isn't going to use UMDs, sure, but it's going to have some sort of physical media rather than be download only. Plus, aside from the PSP Go's ridiculous price, there was little reason to "upgrade" to one since the PSP library people had was incompatible with the Go... which is their prerogative when it comes to a new system like the NGP, but when you're just "upgrading" the hardware and features of an existing product, you hamstring it if you force people to re-buy everything for it. Again, all this is moot because the NGP will have physical media. Just not UMDs.

if its anything as flimsy and fragile as UMD's it might not be much of a physical improvement.
Hate it to say bud everything is going flash media even the NGP titles and PSN titles which is a good thing UMD discs were crap they would break very easily even if you take very good care of them.Hekynn
Exactly. When I told people I had a PSP Go they laughed and said I was mistaken if I thought the Download Era/ PSN Store would stay. Now its funny, seeing as UMD's are horrible and break way too easily, and now they're eventually dieing out and downloads are taking over. Karma.
Eliteshadow413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eliteshadow413
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

I got to agree with the people above me, I think the technology has an effect on it... The PSP Go was the equivalent to a PSP except download only game, But the NGP has insane graphics, and loads of features that PSP and PSP Go didn't have

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
The Go was just a PSP 2-3000 without a UMD drive, the NGP is a BIG improvement. Even those of us who didn't care for the Go are not terribly fond of UMDs either.
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

I agree - I didn't like the Go because there was only one place to buy games so you had to pay that price. I don't object to digital distribution but I do object to being ripped off. Even when a PSN PSP game came out the same week as the UMD version it was inevitably more expensive than even Game!! PSP 3000 obviously gave me the choice.

NGP is a whole new step forward for Sony Handhelds - touch screen, touch pad on the rear, 2 sticks and the list goes on AND as many people have already noted it's not download only!

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#13 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

I didn't like the Go much because i don't just play games, i like to collect them to, i like a nice box to put on my shelf. I don't know how i feel about the NGP yet, i dont know enough about it to come to a conclusion. Plus iv never had a umd break on me and i have around 50 of them, i dunno maybe im just lucky.

bentayllor20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bentayllor20
Member since 2009 • 487 Posts

I have the PSP 1000 and the PSP Go and I have to say I enjoy them both just as much.

I was given my PSP 1000 through work as they got one free with a certain amount of stock they ordered and nobody was interested in it so they gave it to me.

I bought my PSP Go for a cheap price as I had points on my GAME UK card. This came with the free 10 games offer which I was extremely please with.

I will definitely purchase the NGP, maybe not straight away but will eventually get one. Obviously depending on my financial situation.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Because the Go is a completely redundant device - it plays nothing you can't already play on the 3000 with a memory stick inserted. The NGP will play its own set of games as well as the BC stuff.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
But it can't do UMDs. Now I don't care for the UMD format, but I really don't relish the idea of having to re-buy my games.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Because the Go is a PSP that can't play every PSP game. The NGP is an entirely new system.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
Because people want to spend $350 instead of $200 obviously. Simple answer ;3
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#19 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

NGP still cant play UMD's. I dont see why everyones not flaming it like with the PSP Go. Nor did I understand why people flamed it in the first place. Sure you have tons of UMD's some people may have had less then 20 UMD's, so they got a PSP Go. If the main reason for dislike was having to re-buy all your games, then why isn't the NGP recieving as much hate as the PSP Go got?

ChibiStewie
Good Question, Easy Answer.....PSP Go was Not new tech, it was a new version of old psp tech. It was an experiment. which actually went up in value because of the NGP. Look people can fight Digital Downloads all they want, its a battle some of you gamers will never win. Especially on the handheld front. Coolyfett may gamefly a psp gamecard here or there, but to have a collection of UMDs or PSP game cards is str8 CORNBALL. The PSP Go is overpriced, has a smaller screen & does not used physical software. Ok that was the issue. Any PSP gamer that plans to upgrade to the NGP now has the chance to prepare for the changes. Holding on to UMDs & not going the digital route is idiotic. Its good that Sony gave the heads up 11 months in advance. Heres a better question why would any PSP gamer who owns a 1000 2000 or 3000 that works even bother with a PSP Go? Get Rid of your UMDs People. Go Digital, dont fight the future of handheld gaming.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Coolyfett

ChibiStewie

Digital Downloads of games is still a new concept. Its where the industry is going. People didnt hate PSP go because it was digital, but because it was limited. The 3000 was a better PSP. The main reason people hate digital DRM games is because you cant pass the media around or resale it. Which raises the value of gamer reviews. Apple set the bar, but Sony embraced it, the other Japanese gaming firm is also embracing digital media on their handheld. In time it will be the standard for handheld gaming. Give the gamers cheap prices & easy network access & its a rap for places like Gamestop.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coolyfett
[QUOTE="ChibiStewie"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="ChibiStewie"]The NGP isn't going to use UMDs, sure, but it's going to have some sort of physical media rather than be download only. Plus, aside from the PSP Go's ridiculous price, there was little reason to "upgrade" to one since the PSP library people had was incompatible with the Go... which is their prerogative when it comes to a new system like the NGP, but when you're just "upgrading" the hardware and features of an existing product, you hamstring it if you force people to re-buy everything for it. Again, all this is moot because the NGP will have physical media. Just not UMDs.

if its anything as flimsy and fragile as UMD's it might not be much of a physical improvement.
Exactly. When I told people I had a PSP Go they laughed and said I was mistaken if I thought the Download Era/ PSN Store would stay. Now its funny, seeing as UMD's are horrible and break way too easily, and now they're eventually dieing out and downloads are taking over. Karma.

LOL @ Karma. If you never had a PSP & bought the PSP Go That was ok, as long as that was your first time owning a PSP. Home Consoles are one thing, but handheld gaming being digital is awesome. Thats just Coolyfett's opinion on it, but a system should have both options for gamers. The tide will go toward digital media. Routers are getting cheaper, Flash storage is getting bigger & cheaper....Does anyone remember when an 8GB memory stick would cost you 100 bux?? Yep! Coolyfett remembers when a 32gb Stick did not even exist. Games are getting cheaper. Lil Big Planet, FF7 crisis core, Monster Hunter all just had big price cuts, and the prices will fall again.