So the PS4 isn't allowing music streaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for destroyerman455
destroyerman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By destroyerman455
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

Ok so I'm still on the edge between the PS4 and X1. I'm leaning more to the PS4 now though, but as I'm starting to like it more, I see that you cant stream your own music?

Now, I'm not trying to start a console war, but I'm gonna compare this to the 360 since its what I have and I'm used to.

On the 360 you can stream your own music either from a nearby PC or if its on the console already. This works in-game and wherever. If I am reading it all correctly, the PS4 does NOT have this feature?

So if that's the case, is there ANY way to play your own music on console and such kinda as an alternative? I prefer to listen to my own music when I'm playing MP games or if I'm just doing random stuff in general. I personally don't like using an outside source because I'd rather it be playing through my Turtle Beaches or coinciding with my current game. Also its hard to hear other stuff outside of my Turtle Beaches and I would rather not blast music and disturb the other people in my house, but like I said, its just my personal preference.

If anyone can help clear this up, it would be appreciated. Also I don't know how it is on this board compared to the X1 board since this is my first time over here, but please, no trolls, I would prefer some serious answers.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

You have to signup to Sony's music service and purchase from their, but Shuhei Yoshida is currently aware of the people that wish to use their own MP3 on their PS4, and doing something about it. I suggest you check his Twitter; he's very vocal within the Sony community.

destroyerman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 destroyerman455

@SirSlimyScrotum said:

You have to signup to Sony's music service and purchase from their, but Shuhei Yoshida is currently aware of the people that wish to use their own MP3 on their PS4, and doing something about it. I suggest you check his Twitter; he's very vocal within the Sony community.

Hopefully they do something about it. It would probably seal the deal for me. The only other thing keeping me from fully wanting a PS4 is that some of my friends wont switch from Xbox.

Did they allow users to stream their own music on the PS3?

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

@destroyerman455: You could stream selected games; I think it was mostly down to the developers producing the game, but at times there wasn't much point trying as you would find it difficult to play music.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I never play MP3 on console .... why should I bother

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

Some games let you import music from your console to their games so that it can be played. MLB The Show was a perfect example of this.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@dalger21 said:

@hippiesanta said:

Some games let you import music from your console to their games so that it can be played. MLB The Show was a perfect example of this.

I know that ... SSX got that feature ,,, but it only makes the gameplay visual and the sound atmosphere awkward ....... I love death metal music .... but I will not replace the pop music from SSX into Death metal .... it's not right

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i get it that people want it on their console. But it's not a big deal, you guys do have phones and pc's right? Not trying to flame or anything, but i just don't see the point in using music on the console

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I came on this board to confirm this myself, as I couldn't believe it when I first read it, considering how popular this feature is on the 360 and how much in demand it was at the beginning of this. Whever the soundtrack of a game sucks, or when there is none, I play my own from he hard disc on my 360......bot sire how it is on the ps3....anyhow, I hope they patch it on the ps4 later.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Sorry for double post and grammar.....posting from mobile, impossible to edit post

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I see a very big point in having the PS4 as a media streaming device. Why should it not when it can?

Either way this has already been confirmed to be fixed by the second update coming to the PS4, apparenly it will be fixed before 2014 rolls around. Not a biggie, but I'm damn happy they are listening!

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/10/31/shuhei-on-ps4s-lack-of-dlna-mp3-support-had-a-very-good-discussion-with-the-ps4-dev-team-today/

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Glad to hear it's going to be patched. Just so odd that they overlooked this or thought we wouldn't care. The PS3 is the besthome console for streaming media, so I'm put off by their lack of consideration.

destroyerman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 destroyerman455

This is great news! Now I just gotta persuade some friends to buy the PS4 over the X1 and I'm pretty much set on this. I am mildly disappointed that TitanFall wont be on PS4 all though, BUT I feel like it'll end up like Mass Effect and we'll get TitanFall 2 in about 2 or 3 years later so it isn't entirely bad.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: It's not exactly a big deal but I certainly don't want to have something I frequently do on my PS3(play mp3's) removed from it's successor, sure I can play them on my PC or phone but I shouldn't need to. I've set up a bunch of custom playlists on my PS3 and would appreciate that I can use them on my PS4, you know the more powerful, more advanced system. If not then I would then appreciate the ability to use my expensive NAS to transcode my music on the fly into a suitable format however with no DLNA this is not possible. Not good, not at all.

Anyway it looks like an update will fix this problem of mine(and many others) so just lets be thankful it's being investigated at all.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

@JohnF111 said:

@The_Last_Ride: It's not exactly a big deal but I certainly don't want to have something I frequently do on my PS3(play mp3's) removed from it's successor, sure I can play them on my PC or phone but I shouldn't need to. I've set up a bunch of custom playlists on my PS3 and would appreciate that I can use them on my PS4, you know the more powerful, more advanced system. If not then I would then appreciate the ability to use my expensive NAS to transcode my music on the fly into a suitable format however with no DLNA this is not possible. Not good, not at all.

Anyway it looks like an update will fix this problem of mine(and many others) so just lets be thankful it's being investigated at all.

It's not a problem to me personally, i just don't understand why people use it on their console to be honest. But that is just me

destroyerman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By destroyerman455

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JohnF111 said:

It's not a problem to me personally, i just don't understand why people use it on their console to be honest. But that is just me

Personally I use it for when I'm playing multiplayer or if I'm sitting around and talking to my friends in party chat (On Xbox 360).

It changes things up for me and using my own playlist in a game like Battlefield or CoD really adds to the gameplay for me atleast. In fact, I pretty much ALWAYS play music when I'm playing a mulitplayer game since multiplayer generally lacks any music or anything.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@destroyerman455 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JohnF111 said:

Personally I use it for when I'm playing multiplayer or if I'm sitting around and talking to my friends in party chat (On Xbox 360).

It changes things up for me and using my own playlist in a game like Battlefield or CoD really adds to the gameplay for me atleast. In fact, I pretty much ALWAYS play music when I'm playing a mulitplayer game since multiplayer generally lacks any music or anything.

It might be convenient, but i just don't see the appeal of it

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

fyi, the PS4 does support audio CD"s because the disc drive is only a DVD/Blu-Ray drive. I very much doubt they'll reintroduce it down the road.