PS3 Backwards Compatibility. Why was it removed?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Funglip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Funglip
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

But do some people get the point why BC is important.michaeltiger

Fanboys doesn't get it (or they don't wanna get it); for the average joes, it maybe the reason of getting a PS3.

War_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 War_Martyr
Member since 2007 • 598 Posts

They need to phase the PS2 out and get people on PS3 and PS3 games. Honestly if you buy a PS3 and play PS2 games, get your brain checked.ryokinshin6x3

whoa, buddy. If it weren't for the BC capability, I'd still have like four games for the system, and was a fraction of a reason why I enjoy the system...and since I haven't had a ps2, I'd be missing out on awesome games from a few years ago.

jakndaxter7223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#53 jakndaxter7223
Member since 2005 • 2101 Posts
There could be a lot of reasons. Sony might want people to stop with the ps2 games and start buying PS3 games. Like when a game like Guitar Hero or mercs 2 comes out for ps3 and ps2, sony will want us to buy the PS3 versions. Also, I'm told it cuts costs down on the ps3 so it can be more affordable. It doesn't matter I never used the BC, that's why I have a ps2.
metalgear-s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 metalgear-s
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
Here's a question: Does the PAL 60 GB have better backwards compatibility than the NTSC 80 GB?
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

It wasn't a joke post. I was serious. I wasn't bashing the PS2. All I am saying is that we are 2 years in to a new systems life cycle and people still want to play old games more than the new ones. I understand if it is like one or 2 games you missed out on, but people complain like it is life or death and that they still have like 60 games on ps2 they want to play. You should have played most of what you wanted to play while the ps2 was in it's prime. We have Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3 and Eternal Sonata coming this year to PS3. Lost Odyssey Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon really weren't all that great. Eternal Sonata is the best out of the 3 and while that has sharp graphics music and style, the combat is very repetitive. You just sneak from behind. Yes Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery are coming to the 360, but I will wait and see how those turn out and I am not talking about reviews. Square has been making some pretty average crap like tha wii game they put out along with ports of their older games that have been put out 10 billion times on other systems. The wii has chocobo dungeon and Tales of Symphonia 2. Fire Emblem is also there but that really wasn't amazing.

It isn't like there is a huge amount of RPG's on any console at the moment. Ok let me rephrase it isn't like they are any top notch RPG's on any system at the moment.

Too Human looks to be more of a pure action game then RPG and from the demo that I watched, it really doesn't seem that awsome.

Anyway quit turning all posts into an RPG whinefest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

What the above poster said and aso it could be a ploy for Sony to continue selling PS2sBecent

The PS2 is still selling like crazy no matter what, and is still $129. I don't think the PS2 needs any additional help.

x2926014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 x2926014
Member since 2006 • 1372 Posts

Wan't to play ps2 games?Play it on the ps2.Why would you wan't to play it on the ps3?Ps3 is for ps3 games and that's why sony as taken the compatibility they'r not stupid they wan't to make more money with the ps3 games.

Witski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Witski
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i dunno i guess thats wat makes it cheaper, usually ps3 buyers have a ps2 already for the most part..
StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 StewieZim101
Member since 2007 • 1081 Posts
Why do most companies make decisions? MONEEEEY!
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I like the idea of only haveing a single system connected and when I want to play a old classic game I can just load the game in the drive and it's good to go. That's where those of us that bought early got the best of the best when we bought our systems.
dizzy-da-great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dizzy-da-great
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts
Its a shame you don't a 60g model, having backwards compatibility is amazing :P
regorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 regorego
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts
imo is because ps2 is basicly still alive and selling well for a last gen console.. That's why(i think :O)
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts
*Hugs his 60 GB PS3*
carnage617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 carnage617
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
Why So Serious? Let's Put A Smile On That Face.
henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

Something that I have been pondering for a while.

Why did sony loose backward compatibility with the forty gig model? Does anyone know what the justification behind this was?

billbzly

Because poeple like you don't want to pay another 100 dollars for the backward compatibility. That's the only reason here.

PS2_PC_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PS2_PC_FAN
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts

Honestly, I don't think the average consumer cares about backwards compatibility. SolidGame_basic

WHAT DID U SAY?

michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 michaeltiger
Member since 2006 • 629 Posts
[QUOTE="billbzly"]

Why did sony loose backward compatibility with the forty gig model? Does anyone know what the justification behind this was?

henry4th

Because poeple like you don't want to pay another 100 dollars for the backward compatibility. That's the only reason here.

Ok but here is the question why did Europe, Australia, New Zeleand ect lose backward compatible and NTSC still gets backward compatible.

I say that SCEE are very annoying

De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts
Because the attach rate to PS2 is high, next question.
michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 michaeltiger

Because the attach rate to PS2 is high, next question.De_Bears

there are two things that SCEE did wrong that was unfair

1. Why did SCEE remove the EE chip on the PS3 60GB when it came, SCEE even admits we have worse BC than USA and Japan

2. Why did SCEE removed backward compatible on the PS3 when USA still get PS3 with backward compatible. If SCEE didn't removed the PS3 with backward compatible then we could of had the same choice like USA and Japan since they didn't use anymore EE chip.

There was lots of oportunity for Europe PS3 to be equal to USA but SCEE didn't want that, when USA had the same BC like Europe, SCEE removes BC for good.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
The real question is why don't people who are overly concerned with BC keep/buy the PS2 for the ultimate in 100% game compatibility? For the record, I have a launch day 60GB and I've still thought about getting a PS2 for dedicated PS2 games and DVD playback.
michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 michaeltiger

The real question is why don't people who are overly concerned with BC keep/buy the PS2 for the ultimate in 100% game compatibility? For the record, I have a launch day 60GB and I've still thought about getting a PS2 for dedicated PS2 games and DVD playback.emitsu97

Well the point is USA got full BC and Europe doesn't. I already said why Backward compatible is so important in page 3 of this thread.

My PS2 is starting to have problems to have problems I had the PS2 console from launch date, so I have two choices

1. Get a PS3 60GB console PAL

or

2. Get a PS2 console

I already have a PS3 40GB but I don't mind getting a PS3 60GB

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Well the point is USA got full BC and Europe doesn't. I already said why Backward compatible is so important in page 3 of this thread.michaeltiger

Nobody with a 60GB has 100% BC. The only true 100% compatibility is to own a PS2.

henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 henry4th
[QUOTE="henry4th"][QUOTE="billbzly"]

michaeltiger

Ok but here is the question why did Europe, Australia, New Zeleand ect lose backward compatible and NTSC still gets backward compatible.

I say that SCEE are very annoying

No more backwards compatibility here now either. Because consumers by their collective action said no to the expensive models with backward compatibility. You guys really don't need an MBA degree to figure this out.

henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 henry4th

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]The real question is why don't people who are overly concerned with BC keep/buy the PS2 for the ultimate in 100% game compatibility? For the record, I have a launch day 60GB and I've still thought about getting a PS2 for dedicated PS2 games and DVD playback.michaeltiger

Well the point is USA got full BC and Europe doesn't. I already said why Backward compatible is so important in page 3 of this thread.

My PS2 is starting to have problems to have problems I had the PS2 console from launch date, so I have two choices

1. Get a PS3 60GB console PAL

or

2. Get a PS2 console

I already have a PS3 40GB but I don't mind getting a PS3 60GB

It doesn't matter how YOU think it's important. What matters is how all consumers, collectively think. And through consumer actions, they showed that BC is not important at all when comparing to lower prices. Guess what, you get what you pay for.

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts
Becasue its cheaper, to find a PS1 or PS2 system to play your games on. I dont want to put beat up, old a$$ games in that beast of a system!!!
THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#77 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts
Im not sure, but have you played a ps2 game on a ps3? its crap...the smoothing feature just screws up the game.....id rather just play them on the ps2....
mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mikester585
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts

thankgod i got my ps3 in august last year , 60 gigabyte in 2007 woop wooop , i'm so happy i would of had the knowledge anyway to choose the right ps3 ,

but to be honest the usb reduce is nothing big , cause you can get expansion but dropping wi fi in the 40gb that is terrbile , and memory slots well i don't use them much , but they can defonatly be usefull for hand held cameras. whatever u aint using a usb for

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
Cost...
ozguroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ozguroot
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Today, I went out to buy a PS3. I was waiting for that for a long time. I went to the Sony shopping center here in my town, there I've heard that the PS3 will not and cannot play my tons of original PS1 and PS2 games which I invested/spent almost over thousand of dollars to buy them, and then I said : No, thanks, I will not buy!
And no, I will not go to Ebay and look for some broken 60 GB PS3 models without any guarantee,
Doing that would be like.. :
"Well, We care only what we do! We just removed it and we can remove what we want from consoles! Who the **** are you? Go to solve your problem on second-hand shops or Ebays!".

I would like to say: My adventure with Sony and Playstation consoles is over now. "Game Over", for me and LOTS of mates, friends around me. All my friends stopped to think buying a PS3 console.
We are all disappointed..

Louis-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Louis-D
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts
Please don't bump old threads.