PS3 Backwards Compatibility. Why was it removed?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

billbzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 billbzly
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts

Something that I have been pondering for a while.

Why did sony loose backward compatibility with the forty gig model? Does anyone know what the justification behind this was?

Jalannom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jalannom
Member since 2003 • 315 Posts

As a 40g ps3 owner myself, i was pondering about it. Its probably the same reason they removed memory card ports and 2 USB port off of it too. I guess thats what makes it cheaper.

mutill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mutill
Member since 2005 • 458 Posts
Less features, less money to make a ps3. Non-knowledgeable people will say "omg price drop" and just buy it without doing any research
Becent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Becent
Member since 2005 • 603 Posts
What the above poster said and aso it could be a ploy for Sony to continue selling PS2s
plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

It's part of their plan to take over the world! :shock:

Didn't you know?

thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
sony hates money. its why they are also planning on making just an 80gb with no backwards compatability.
Avatar image for patrickncompany
patrickncompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 patrickncompany
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts
Its to encourage people to buy the 80 GB model
ck02623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 ck02623
Member since 2003 • 1534 Posts
Because Sony is crazy
TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheSonOfUgly
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts
because theyre not very smart
KingFrostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 KingFrostman
Member since 2004 • 263 Posts
to make the system more affortable...
The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts

many reasons:

1. sell more PS2s
  2. to convince ppl to move on to PS3
  3. to make system cheaper
  4. whatever else
Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
^ yup that pretty much sums it.
LochLacksLuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LochLacksLuck
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts
because they want to put it back on one of the later models so people will buy it......... i think
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
Its cheaper.

By removing the GS (PS2 GPU), PS2 tranistors (for GS), 2x USB 2.0 slots, memory card slot they allowed themselves to use a cheaper power supply and a new motherboard which uses less components.

Also i believe SONY has always planned on eventually having a 100% software BC PS3 at some point -- they already have the CELL emulating the EE(PS2 CPU) in PS3's (80gb Motorsotm/MGS4 bundle) and will get the RSX to emulate the GS in the future (after they finish current features their working on like improving in-game XMB... )
Carnikoid85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#15 Carnikoid85
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts
I think that's because they realized that when PS2 will be completly dead they can put PS2 games on PSN and make us buy them for second time :)
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

People whined and cried over the price in the first place and so they did something about it. Now that the price is cheaper, people still complain. At least the ps3 has controller ports unlike the wii or 360. You don't really need flash memory readers since usb flash drives can be used in the controller ports. I am not saying sony isn't in the wrong, but the consumer has to be reasonable as well. You are getting a game machine DVD and Blue Ray player with Divx support with internet browser that can read pc devices like flash drives, gamepads and whatever other usb things you can throw in there. Can the 360 or Wii do any of that? The other systems are good at what they do yes, I don't mean for this to sound like a fanboy post, but on 360 you have copy music by way of cd, so even if you can play music in the background, it does make it a hassle. You also get a system where there is no memory file cap like on 360. Microsoft had to expand the cap just to fit super street fighter 2 in HD. You get a completely open network that can handle user created content and have brand new games on a network that can look and play as cool as a retail disc game only smaller like Siren or Ratchet Quest for Booty.

Why do people still want to play PS2 at the second year mark of the PS3? Seriously!! Get with the program.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

Greed.

It encroached on PS3 game sales. Some of the responses in this thread puzzle me... how brainwashed some people are!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45295 Posts
Honestly, I don't think the average consumer cares about backwards compatibility.
wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
To cut cost
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ryokinshin6x3
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
They need to phase the PS2 out and get people on PS3 and PS3 games. Honestly if you buy a PS3 and play PS2 games, get your brain checked.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

People whined and cried over the price in the first place and so they did something about it. Now that the price is cheaper, people still complain. At least the ps3 has controller ports unlike the wii or 360. You don't really need flash memory readers since usb flash drives can be used in the controller ports. I am not saying sony isn't in the wrong, but the consumer has to be reasonable as well. You are getting a game machine DVD and Blue Ray player with Divx support with internet browser that can read pc devices like flash drives, gamepads and whatever other usb things you can throw in there. Can the 360 or Wii do any of that? The other systems are good at what they do yes, I don't mean for this to sound like a fanboy post, but on 360 you have copy music by way of cd, so even if you can play music in the background, it does make it a hassle. You also get a system where there is no memory file cap like on 360. Microsoft had to expand the cap just to fit super street fighter 2 in HD. You get a completely open network that can handle user created content and have brand new games on a network that can look and play as cool as a retail disc game only smaller like Siren or Ratchet Quest for Booty.

Why do people still want to play PS2 at the second year mark of the PS3? Seriously!! Get with the program.

gamenerd15

PS2 games are still awesome, and if you need an RPG fix that's the only place to go right now, more RPG's have come on the PS2 In the last 2 years then on the PS3 all together. Seeing as my PS2 strangely died on my (get it at launch) a week before the PS3 launch its great to still be able to play my PS@ games with out having to buy another PS2.

AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

Because it was a good feature.

Wait..

That's not a good reason to take out a great feature..

That must mean..

SONY HOODWINKED US!!!

gamegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamegod
Member since 2002 • 2497 Posts
i would like to think that it was done to save money but they said it wasnt that expensive.i will just pretend that full bc was a bonus for spending 600$
AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

gamenerd15

I figured it out. :D

This must be a 'joke-post'.

The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts
seriously though.. why do they care so much for backwards compatability anyway. of course we all wish PS3 had it. i wish my 40GB had it bit seriusly. most if not all ppl who bought a PS3 already have a PS2 so why r u complaining. go play PS2 games on a PS2 thats what they were made to be played on. if u want BC soooo much then u might aswell go out and spend $100 on a PS2 and a memory card because its never gonna happen
coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts

didnt a sony rep said something along the lines of no one caring for bc?

anywho theres a thread about all the lies sony made in the recent past. it gives insight that pertains to this.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Generic_Dude

i would like to think that it was done to save money but they said it wasnt that expensive.i will just pretend that full bc was a bonus for spending 600$gamegod

Yeah, I hear ya... but I'm not spending another $200 (give or take) if my PS3 takes a dump. I still have my PS2, but it makes more noise than my Xbox 360 so I expect that'll be going the way of the buffalo soon.

As for the people saying that BC isn't that important anyway, I'll admit that there's enough good games on PS3 that I don't really HAVE to play PS2 games, but, firstly, PS3 has no good RPGs. PS1 and PS2 have dozens... from the Final Fantasy series, to the Dragon Quest games, to the Suikoden series, to the Xenosaga trilogy, to Chrono Cross... PS3 doesn't have a Katamari game, which is one of my favorite games. PS3 doesn't have the Dark Cloud series, which was the PS2 equivalent of Zelda and I don't know why the hell a sequel hasn't been formally announced. PS2 is home to the definitive GTA experiences (i.e. III, Vice City and San Andreas), and also has Ape Escape 2 and 3, which most people don't give a damn about but I love it. By cutting backwards compatibility, Sony deprives us of 10000 games that the earlier adopters have access to, many of which are evergreen classics. And you folks make it out like Sony's doing us a favor? What kind of fool has such corporate loyalty without being on the company payroll? lol, are they offering robust benefits packages to fanboys now? Unpluck your heads from your posteriors and you will see that you've been had.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18802 Posts

What the above poster said and aso it could be a ploy for Sony to continue selling PS2sBecent

a combo of that and the fact early PS3 owners didnt buy PS3 games. ANyway, the funny the lost of the EE chip didnt reduce price that much and i hear that software BC doesnt cost sony nothing.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Generic_Dude

[QUOTE="Becent"]What the above poster said and aso it could be a ploy for Sony to continue selling PS2sPSP107

a combo of that and the fact early PS3 owners didnt buy PS3 games. ANyway, the funny the lost of the EE chip didnt reduce price that much and i hear that software BC doesnt cost sony nothing.

Well, that's because it didn't have very many. But naturally, Sony didn't think of that. And yet, now that the console HAS a bunch of great games and they're actually selling relatively well, Sony yanks BC.

But I really doubt that people who already own a PS3 will go out and buy a PS2. But if PS3 was BC, that might entice someone into buying one that may have only previously bought a PS2. It doesn't make any sense... but I think the past few years have shown that several key players at Sony are being paid much more than they're worth. As far as I can see, they've still got more pink slips to hand out over there before this company comes even close to the success of PS2.

Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

The driving force for the PS2 was the "Emotion Engine". When the PS2 was released it was obviously technologically ahead of it's time (as all consoles are) in order to compete with the constantly upgrading PC gaming market. Now, since that technology is somewhat dated it's cheaper to produce and you can also make that engine in one small chipset.

When the PS3 was first released, it came with the emotion engine built in. So essentially, when you bought a PS3, you were buying a PS2 as well. That was one of the reasons that the PS3 was so expensive. The most expensive part of making a console is obviously the hardware. The Operating System and firmware (once produced) doesn't cost much because every system will use it. So with every sale you make after the first console, the OS becomes free. But you can't cut the cost on hardware. Unless, the manufacturers you use make it cheaper as the technology becomes out dated.

The different audio and video connections, SD card slots, the Emotion Engine chipset, USB Ports, Bluetooth compatibility, Ethernet chipset, CD lens, DVD lens, Bluray Lens, Hard drive, etc... All costs more money to manufacture. I can only assume that they attempted to have an emulator for PS2 games at the time that proved to not be fully compatible and therefore needed to spend more to use the ACTUAL Emotion Engine to be able to market backward compatibility.

The PS3 in itself is no toy. Developers are having trouble programming for it right now because it works much differently than any other NextGen console (and even PCs). Generally a programmer will build a game based on the power of the processor. The PS3 actually has one main processor and multiple sub processors. Each sub can be dedicated to a different portion of the games programming and the main can be used to put it all together. Developers are only beginning to realize that now (as mentioned by the development teams behind "Dead Space" and "Red Faction" and we should FINALLY see what the PS3 is TRULY capable of soon.

The PS3 (at it's release) costed Sony more money to manufacture than consumers were actually paying (believe it or not). But, that's normal cause first and foremost, a console needs to create an install base to attract developers and exclusive titles. But, now while they're nearing year three, it's time to start making back their money.

To cut the cost of all of this hardware Sony has committed themselves to including, they've taken away some hardware to attract more consumers with a price drop. They've removed 2 USB ports, some connection options (which I'm not sure of) and (the most expensive part) the Emotion Engine. You can play the original PS1 games on your PS3 anyway, because they HAVE been able to implement an Emulator for that system which works VERY well.

However, it seems that the removal of backwards compatibility was only temporary. From what I understand now, the new PS3s (ie: MGS Bundle) actually have a great working PS2 emulator and now it appears that can make the price drop AND PS2 compatibility permanent.

Avatar image for 224385652654335052701865008979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 224385652654335052701865008979
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love BC, but I rarely use it. And when I do it's to play some older RPGs. I have a PS2, so if I'm that excited about playing a lot of PS2 game for some reason, I'll just pull my PS2 out of the box. no big deal. If PS3 can be made cheaper removing the feature, I'm all for it. I'm a purist too though. I'd rather play my NES games on a real NES than play through an emulator.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

seriously though.. why do they care so much for backwards compatability anyway. of course we all wish PS3 had it. i wish my 40GB had it bit seriusly. most if not all ppl who bought a PS3 already have a PS2 so why r u complaining. go play PS2 games on a PS2 thats what they were made to be played on. if u want BC soooo much then u might aswell go out and spend $100 on a PS2 and a memory card because its never gonna happenThe_Wild_Tiger

I agree. On the early years of PS2, I play my PS1 games on PS1...until now. I prefer playing games on its original system.

To the topic...because Sony wants people who don't have a PS2 but still wants to play PS2 games to buy PS2.

1noteshort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 1noteshort
Member since 2008 • 403 Posts

many reasons:

1. sell more PS2s
  2. to convince ppl to move on to PS3
  3. to make system cheaper
  4. whatever else

The_Wild_Tiger

that about sums it up. the ps3 costs alot of money to make. cutting down on costs allows them to max their profits. plus, you can get a ps2 decently cheap these days. and when you can sell two systems very well not to add the bonus PSP, your doing well.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
My guess is that it was simply a cost-cutting move. Removing the GS chip, the card reader port and the additional USB ports likely allowed them to reduce the size and complexity of the motherboard and achieve a significant cost savings. So not only do they save the cost of the components, but they achieve more manufacturing economy by producing a more refined mainboard.
kb8618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kb8618
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
The main reason was to make it cheaper, but it also reduced the size of the boad which is 1 step closer to a PS3 slim, cuz there is no way they could fit all of it into a slim ps3 right now, if it were to come out next year. But it could be possible in 2 or 3 years when they shrink the components enough.
Elviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elviathan
Member since 2006 • 5052 Posts
I guess to make it cheaper so they could sell it at that price. Maybe in the future there will be emulators where you can download off the PSN and play your favorite PS2 games on it.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18802 Posts
If PS3 still had an EE chip, Sony will sell more systems faster.
michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 michaeltiger
Member since 2006 • 629 Posts

If PS3 still had an EE chip, Sony will sell more systems faster. PSP107

Some people are not aware that Europe never got the full backward compatible with EE chip, SCEE removed the EE chip in the PS3 60GB.

Only the NTSC got full backward compatible not PAL.

michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 michaeltiger

Here is two question

1. Why didn't SCEE give Europe EE chip in the PS3 60GB like the USA counter part?

2. Why is it that only the PAL version lost the backward compatible while USA and Japan still continues to get Backward compatible?

The PS3 should have the same features and same choices worldwide. If USA continues getting BC then Europe should have the same choice and please don't say anything about import.

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts
for you ands all the ps3 owners keep playing ps3's games from sony, that didnt get bankrupt by not selling due to too much expensive system..
hsaitou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hsaitou
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts

The main reason was to make it cheaper, but it also reduced the size of the boad which is 1 step closer to a PS3 slim, cuz there is no way they could fit all of it into a slim ps3 right now, if it were to come out next year. But it could be possible in 2 or 3 years when they shrink the components enough.kb8618

i think that this is the main reason. I found a very good picture comparing the motherboard from the 60gig model with the 40 gig.

Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bubblehash
Member since 2004 • 2914 Posts

Something that I have been pondering for a while.

Why did sony loose backward compatibility with the forty gig model? Does anyone know what the justification behind this was?

billbzly
You can still play PS1 games. My guess is because of cost.
Avatar image for 224385652654335052701865008979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 224385652654335052701865008979
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts
I figure if you have ps2 games, you must have a ps2. Just use that. seriously. 360 BC was crap. It didn't stop me from hooking up my original xbox.
ashunpnoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ashunpnoy
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts

my take on it is so:

1. Reduce the price.

2. Sony is trying to move away from the ps2, and get people into the ps3/next gen., since the ps2 is close to the end of its 10 yr cycle. And since development for the ps2 is almost going to cease, theres no point in keeping BC for the ps3.

ashunpnoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ashunpnoy
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts

I figure if you have ps2 games, you must have a ps2. Just use that. seriously. 360 BC was crap. It didn't stop me from hooking up my original xbox.PhysicsLCP

lol i was gonna add this to my previous post also. If you have ps2 games, you must have a ps2 right?

michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 michaeltiger

Don't get me wrong, I love BC, but I rarely use it. And when I do it's to play some older RPGs. I have a PS2, so if I'm that excited about playing a lot of PS2 game for some reason, I'll just pull my PS2 out of the box. no big deal. If PS3 can be made cheaper removing the feature, I'm all for it. I'm a purist too though. I'd rather play my NES games on a real NES than play through an emulator.PhysicsLCP

There is one thing wrong about not having backward is that you would have too much consoles. Let me example lets say I buy consoles and never sell like you are say then

first I had the NES and sega master system
then I sold the NES and sega master system = for the SNES and sega mega drive
then I sold the SNES and sega mega drive = for the N64 and PS1
Then I sold the N64 and PS1 = for the PS2 and gamecube
Then I sold the gamecube for the nintendo wii.
Then later I bought the PS3 40GB

There is also comodore and atari but I never seen my sister was the one that played them I was small back then.

That is why BC is important, its easy to have say to keep the old console to play the old games but to do that you need more than 10 consoles to play all the games you like.

Some people think nah Backward is rubbish and they should keep the old console but that isn't true backward compatible is way better than some people thinks.

kazamadevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kazamadevil
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts
Biggest reason would be to cut the cost and make people buy ps2s.
michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 michaeltiger
But do some people get the point why BC is important.
Funglip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Funglip
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

They need to phase the PS2 out and get people on PS3 and PS3 games. Honestly if you buy a PS3 and play PS2 games, get your brain checked.ryokinshin6x3

No they're not phasing out PS2; didn't you see they were still talking about PS2 at E3?

What they want is money with ppl buying PS2 for PS2 games and PS3 for PS3 games instead of buying PS3 for all.

I need to get my brain checked when I play PS2 games on my PS3? You're kinda... out there.

Seriously who want to hook up two machines when one machine could get all the work done, not to mention my PS2 is going to die because of old age. Get ur brain checked if you think I should buy another PS2 for PS2 games.

hsaitou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hsaitou
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts

[QUOTE="PhysicsLCP"]I figure if you have ps2 games, you must have a ps2. Just use that. seriously. 360 BC was crap. It didn't stop me from hooking up my original xbox.ashunpnoy

lol i was gonna add this to my previous post also. If you have ps2 games, you must have a ps2 right?

I bought only the xbox and the gamecube last generation, so I am using my 60 gig model to play all the good ps2 games I've missed.