position of the joysticks on the ps3 controler

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

I think the design is fine the way it is.

Switching the position of the d-pad and the left analog stick doesn't make much of a difference to me, and that just completely screws over pretty much every other genre on the market, especially fighting games.

Now, if the PS3 controller lacked the triggers, I would be complaining, but, it has them.

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
[QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="cLAssic_BLUE"]

ive got both systems and i cant stand shooters for ps3. the triggers on the 360 feels just like a real rifles trigger. who wants to shoot while pressing a button. not me. if you dont believe me hold a real rifle and you'll see what i mean.

although for racing, sports, and adventure games the ps3 controller is superior.

Vampyronight
I have held a few rifles in my lifetime and i don't think a controller can simulate it by just having triggers. So no it doesn't feel more real.

PS: If you like the 360 controller so much, just buy a 3rd party controller that has the same design.

Unfortunately, I don't think any 3rd parties have done that (or ever will...usually they just copy the current design as best as possible). Then there's the issue of quality...

I knew a saw a controll that looked like a 360 one :) at my store.

Got a little excited there for a second. That's the PC version. The PS3 version looks like an extremely ugly version of the PS3 controller (in other words, same analog placement). Can't linkify because of Firefox, but: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2905,CONTENTID=12335

Damn. Darn store :(
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#53 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
after playing on the ps2, the ps3 controller just feels natural.
ogie_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ogie_s
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts
[QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="cLAssic_BLUE"]

ive got both systems and i cant stand shooters for ps3. the triggers on the 360 feels just like a real rifles trigger. who wants to shoot while pressing a button. not me. if you dont believe me hold a real rifle and you'll see what i mean.

although for racing, sports, and adventure games the ps3 controller is superior.

Krigon

I have held a few rifles in my lifetime and i don't think a controller can simulate it by just having triggers. So no it doesn't feel more real.

PS: If you like the 360 controller so much, just buy a 3rd party controller that has the same design.

Unfortunately, I don't think any 3rd parties have done that (or ever will...usually they just copy the current design as best as possible). Then there's the issue of quality...

I knew a saw a controll that looked like a 360 one :) at my store.

Got a little excited there for a second. That's the PC version. The PS3 version looks like an extremely ugly version of the PS3 controller (in other words, same analog placement). Can't linkify because of Firefox, but: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2905,CONTENTID=12335

Damn. Darn store :(

Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has tried plugging a 360 controller into a PS3 using the plug n' play kit to see what happens. Electrocute the user maybe?

I ain't trying it with mine though lol.

As for the PS3 analogs, I love 'em the way they are. The PS design is still the best and comfiest controller overall for me. And I can attest to the durability of the old Dual Shock design. Don't know about the Sixaxis (yet) but I'd thrown my PS2 controller a LOT of times in frustration and never had to replace it in 4 years of use whereas I busted my first Xbox controller S from just one such episode.

Jigsaw_McGraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 Jigsaw_McGraw
Member since 2006 • 1231 Posts
NOOOOO! Go away!
Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
[QUOTE="Roushrsh"]the playstation controller is easier to use, and u can master it faster ex: pick up any game and be able to know every control , motion movement , combo ,etc in the game just by looking at the game or clicking only the square, tringle, cirlce and x button and feeling the controller in ur hand lolGameArtGuy
How is that different than any other controller? I prefer the offset joystick... thats the main reason i only own a 360 at the moment. i owned a ps1 and ps2 and id have to say FPS games are just much easier with offset sticks... same with racing games. Then again its all just opinion.

its easier because almost everyone has used a PS controller (prob everyone in the world ( lol exagerated) has played like at least 10 minutes on a PS1 or 2) and its design is made for very easy use, the xbox controller is newer ( alot of people havent seen it yet) and ... different, not everyone can pick one up and know how to play any game at any given time.
sandjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 sandjar
Member since 2005 • 291 Posts
No. I don't think so. In fact the only reason I don't own an X-Box is because i never got used to the controller. So I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.
trplx99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 trplx99
Member since 2002 • 922 Posts

And for an earlier reply, yes I have fired a weapon. Did my Amy training in Fort Sill, OK. Delta 1/19 baby.

cLAssic_BLUE

Hey my brother went to boot camp at fort sill a couple of years ago
stlcardinals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 stlcardinals
Member since 2003 • 108 Posts
love the sony style controller,I hate the 360 controller, to huge.
MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
PS3 has the best analog sticks out of all the console controllers. It has more degrees of precision.
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
[QUOTE="SirRaven"][QUOTE="cLAssic_BLUE"]

ive got both systems and i cant stand shooters for ps3. the triggers on the 360 feels just like a real rifles trigger....

walton13
that's where you stopped making sense.

yeah, real rifles are NOTHING AT ALL like the triggers on the xbox controller.

But the 360 triggers are definately closer to a "rifle" feel than the SixAxis. Personally the Duel Shock has always been my least favorite controller design due to the fact Sony forgot about ergonomics when they designed it. Also since all games now use analogue as opposed to digital control it makes more sense to have a thumbstick in the primary control spot (above the left hand grip). The SixAxis isn't bad, but I don't believe it is as good as either the xbox or gamecube controllers. Sony probably went with the SixAxis because they had 120 million gamers who were familiar with it and they didn't want to change it.
GameFreak34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 GameFreak34
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts

love the sony style controller,I hate the 360 controller, to huge.stlcardinals

PS3 has the best analog sticks out of all the console controllers. It has more degrees of precision.MGS9150

i agree with both of you...

also, the analog sticks are placed better for the ps3 than the 360 IMO

KEM92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 KEM92
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts
The sixaxis is smaller than the 360 controller that's why its at the bottom instead of were the d-pad is. if it were like the 360 controller then your thumb would be 2 close to the rest of your hand giving you little room to navigate. pick up your ps3 controller and imagine the analog stikwas were the d-pad is. doesn't that feel weird?
TheYellowYeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 TheYellowYeti
Member since 2006 • 438 Posts
I like the Sixaxis, the xbox 360 controller is too big, the Sixaxis rules all, their is no greater design
Brendruis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 Brendruis
Member since 2002 • 1016 Posts
[QUOTE="walton13"][QUOTE="SirRaven"][QUOTE="cLAssic_BLUE"]

ive got both systems and i cant stand shooters for ps3. the triggers on the 360 feels just like a real rifles trigger....

GIJames248
that's where you stopped making sense.

yeah, real rifles are NOTHING AT ALL like the triggers on the xbox controller.

But the 360 triggers are definately closer to a "rifle" feel than the SixAxis. Personally the Duel Shock has always been my least favorite controller design due to the fact Sony forgot about ergonomics when they designed it. Also since all games now use analogue as opposed to digital control it makes more sense to have a thumbstick in the primary control spot (above the left hand grip). The SixAxis isn't bad, but I don't believe it is as good as either the xbox or gamecube controllers. Sony probably went with the SixAxis because they had 120 million gamers who were familiar with it and they didn't want to change it.

SixAxis not as good as the GameCube controller?  Have you lost your mind?

The GameCube controller is possibly the worst one ever!  I don't really hate any controller, but the GameCube controller I definitely prefer to NOT use...it sucks..  playing Resident Evil 4 on that sucker is an exercise in frustration
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#66 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

GIJames248

-Well, I will agree that the 360 triggers do feel more like a rifle than the SixAxis', but, I am perfectly fine with both trigger setups.

-As for your comment about the Dualshock, I disagree completely, I actually adjusted to the Dualshock quite well, and it fit very well into my hands. The original Xbox controller was horribly annoying though, way too big for its own good, and kind of annoying on the sides, the 360 controller is designed much better.

-As for analog sticks being requires to be in the primary control spot, it isn't really necessary to have it there, either, it doesn't add to the ergonomics of the controller, doesn't help make FPS easier to control, and pretty much places the d-pad in an uncomfortable position, which makes fighting games suffer, imo.

-And yes, the SixAxis is the way it is because 120 million+ gamers use it, and know how it works, so completely changing the design would be foolish.

bamf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 bamf03
Member since 2003 • 1205 Posts
many people bought the visualy inferior PS2 version over the xbox because of the controller. It makes sense to me to have the analogs sticks in the same position as each over instead of having one over there and the other over here. I hate where the D-pad is on 360 and it doesn't work properly.
Jumpyjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jumpyjon
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts
if you like the 360 controller, just get a wired one with the usb and it will plug into your ps3 and work :P
cLAssic_BLUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 cLAssic_BLUE
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!!!!!!             ARTILERY!!!!!!!!!
LoboSolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 LoboSolo
Member since 2002 • 1136 Posts

I love it. All those years with a dual shock, feels like home. Viva la 6XX*.

*6XX patented by me to make it easier to write SIXAXIS

Avatar image for Bleach_is_basic
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bleach_is_basic
Member since 2002 • 3020 Posts
I think the analog sticks on the 360 controller are better. The resting placement of them is much more comfortable in my opinion. That said I think the Dpad on PS controllers are much better, the Xbox controllers have a pretty poor excuse for Dpads.
Avatar image for solidsnaketight
solidsnaketight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 solidsnaketight
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
my only prob with the sixaxis is I don't like how the nub of the analog bends out so much. so i just tear the rubber of which makes the sticks smaller and better to use.
PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PSBox3SixWi
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
i love the sixaxis but the indentation of the sticks on the 360 controller is almost necessary to me. my thumbs seem to always slip off...
TE_Lawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TE_Lawrence
Member since 2005 • 6934 Posts
If placing the stick where the D-pad is really increased accuracy so much then why isn't it the defult stick for aiming in FPS games on xBox? I mean aiming is a lot more sensitive than moving around. the real reason for switching around on the stick and the D-pad on the xBox controllers is simply because of the "silly" shape of the handles |=|, such an acward position for human wrists, while the Playtstation controller's handles /=\ are much less hard on the wrists and give equal access for the thumb to both the D-pad and analogue stick (no need to twist the thumb into snake human like positions).
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
I prefer the positions of joysticks on the ps3 controller but the xbox 360 controller just feels more solid and triggers are just better, you just slip of the r2 and l2 buttens really annoying!
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#76 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

you can honestly say shooting with the r2 shoulder button feelsbetter than the right trigger on the 360 . Man you fanboys are RICOLAAAAAAAAAAAAA, REDICULOUS.cLAssic_BLUE
Haha. Actually that "Ricolaaaaa" part was rediculous. Anyway, I do agree that the triggers on the 360 controller are better than the R2 button on the sixaxis. However, this topic is based soley on the joysticks. I as many others do, prefer the joysticks lined up symmetrically as they are on the sixaxis. You can do what I did and buy the 10 dollar trigger extensions that clip onto your R2 and L2 buttons. They are a little bulky, but they solve the slippery trigger problem. Just look 'em up on eBay. Anyway, if you want to argue controller superiortiy, let me tell you why Idon't buy fighting games on the 360 .......... Yeah, you already know why.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#77 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!!!!!! ARTILERY!!!!!!!!!cLAssic_BLUE
Yet another "rediculous" quote by you. Wow.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#78 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

i wish they would of made a new design for the ps3's controler pad, i always thought the joysticks were badly positioned on it. ive never been able to play a shooter very well on the ps2, or ps3 for that matter. i think thedesign of the xbox and xbox 360 controler is better, much more confortable. anybody else thinks the ps3's controler should be redesigned ?

jack00
i feel the exact opposite. i think the design is perfect for the ps3 controller, and i've always thought the 360 controller was badly designed...
lancerex6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 lancerex6
Member since 2005 • 152 Posts

hated the xbox's controller layout, cus i am much used to PlayStation's controller since PS1.

I am happy Sony kept it as it is.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
i prefer the 360 controller only because my hands are bigger and its just the perfect size for my hands. thestick layout is just an added bonus but i always make due with the ps3s controller. i mean ive been using the dualshock for what 10 years now....
MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 6

#81 MorkkiTH
Member since 2005 • 828 Posts

I did own x360 and I think that x360 controller is best there is. PS3 controller is good but not as good x360 controller. Everyone has own opinions...