chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

We have rocket league, which is fun. Any other really good split screen games to play with the kids? 6 and 9 years old. Something with at least 3 players. Also, i'm guessing there aren't any yet that take advantage of the Ps4 Pro, but just wondering. We already have lego games, looking for something different.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

What do you guys think is better mantis racing or track mania?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I came in here to say that Rocket League would be the best split screen game on PS4, but you already have that. The only other great local multiplayer PS4 game for at least 3 people that I can think of is Rayman Legends which has up to 4-player co-op and would be a great game for families to play together.

Besides that, local multiplayer is sadly not one of the PS4's strong suits. If you want a console that is great for local multiplayer gaming, I would suggest buying a Wii U which has a lot of great local multiplayer games that families could play together.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@chriscoolguy:

@storm_of_swords said:

I came in here to say that Rocket League would be the best split screen game on PS4, but you already have that. The only other great local multiplayer PS4 game for at least 3 people that I can think of is Rayman Legends which has up to 4-player co-op and would be a great game for families to play together.

Besides that, local multiplayer is sadly not one of the PS4's strong suits. If you want a console that is great for local multiplayer gaming, I would suggest buying a Wii U which has a lot of great local multiplayer games that families could play together.

Huh?

The PS4 has hundreds more games than the other competing console (due to larger Indie and Japanese developer support), and even hundreds more on top of that over the recently discontinued Wii U. I enjoy my Wii U, but that statement is very incorrect. If you aren't sure, that's one thing, but research before posting something so inaccurate and then recommending another $200+ purchase of a discontinued device.

I'm guessing you didn't really do much local MP as I have, or didn't do it much on PS4, but there is literally hundreds of co-op/splitscreen games on the PS4 and this is coming from a user that owns all the consoles since launch and works in the gaming industry.

Here's a small 100 game couch/split Screen PS4 games sampling for the TC:

1. Hell Divers
  2. Towerfall Ascension (incredibly fun 4 player co op in the vein of Bomberman, 87/100 metascore)
  3. Magicka 2
  4. Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (amazing co-op)
  5. Pac-Man 256 (very fun game)
  6. SuperMother Load (Dig Dug Like four player fun)
  7. Tricky Towers (it's a puzzler, the more the merrier)
  8. PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate (AMAZING FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY)
  9. Salt And Sanctuary
  10. RockBand 4
  11. Dead Nation
  12. Gauntlet
  13. Little Big Planet 3
  14. Street Fighter 5
  15. Resogun
  16. BroForce
  17. Defense Grid 2
  18. Earth Defense Force 4.1
  19. Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
  20. Shutshimi
  21. Awesomenaughts Assemble
  22. Trine 2
  23. Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power
  24. Super Dungeon Bros.
  25. Foul Play
  26. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  27. Just Dance series of games
  28. StickBold!
  29. Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  30. Lego games (At least 6 games: Jurassic Park, Batman, Marvel, The Hobbit, Star Wars, Dimensions)
  31. Tiny Brains
  32. Alien Nation
  33. Angry Birds Star Wars
  34. Child of Light
  35. Ultratron
  36. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  37. Mercenary Kings
  38. Ghostbusters
  39. Fifa
  40. Don't Starve Together
  41. Knights and Bikes
  42. Starwhal
  43. Call of Duty: BO3
  44. Call of Duty: Advance Warfare
  45. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  46. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
  47. Battleborn
  48. Neon Chrome
  49. Super Mega Baseball
  50. Toy Soldiers
  51. How to Survive
  52. Surgeon Simulator
  53. Gunscape
  54. Viking Squad
  55. Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare (unlike other versions, PS4 has split screen)
  56. Planets Vs. Zombies: GW 2
  57. N++
  58. BattleBlock Theatre
  59. JamesTowne
  60. Zombie Vikings
  61. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  62. MineCraft
  63. Castlestorm
  64. 7 Days to Die
  65. Rayman Legends
  66. Star Wars Battlefront
  67. Geometry Wars
  68. Rocket League
  69. Skylanders Swap Force
  70. Borderlands The Handsome Collection
  71. Diablo III
  72. Assassin's Creed
  73. Divinity
  74. Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers
  75. Shiftlings
  76. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  77. Enter the Gungeon
  78. Nom Nom Galaxy
  79. Resident Evil 6
  80. Resident Evil: Revelations 2
  81. Mother Russia Bleeds
  82. Walking Dead FPS
  83. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
  84. Dangerous Golf
  85. Tower 57
  86. Just Sing
  87. Singstar
  88. FORCED
  89. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive
  90. Overlord Fellowship of Evil
  91. StarDust Galaxy Warriors
  92. Wondershot
  93. Square Heroes
  94. Knack
  95. Tales of Zestiria
  96. Score Rush Extended
  97. Commander Cherry's Puzzle Journey
  98. In Space We Brawl
  99. killallzombies
  100. Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
  101. Disney Infinity

and many, many more...

Here's a website TC:

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/22/playstation-4.html

Make sure to click on the "Couch" tab...

Happy Gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@SolidTy:

Not only do I play lots of local multiplayer; local multiplayer is my most beloved form of gaming, which is why Nintendo consoles are usually my favorite since party games is one thing that Nintendo consoles always excel at. If you know as much about gaming as you like to always toot your own horn and brag that you do then you should be able to acknowledge that local multiplayer is not something that people generally list as a big strength for Sony; even the biggest Sony fanboys don't ever talk up Sony's great local multiplayer scene, but it definitely is something that even the biggest critics of Nintendo will usually praise Nintendo consoles for.

And just posting a list of games that you found that may happen to have some form of local multiplayer does not prove that the PS4 is a great console for local multiplayer nor is it very helpful to the OP especially when there are games on that list that do not support at least 3 players which is something that the OP is looking for and many of those games are mediocre at best or just downright suck. Are you seriously suggesting that crappy Ghostbusters game? Seriously? You think that is a better local multiplayer experience than the excellent local multiplayer games that can be found on the Wii U like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 3D World, etc.?

I will acknowledge that there is one great local multiplayer game for 3+ players in that list that I forgot about in my previous post. Towerfall Ascension is a great local multiplayer game that families can play together on PS4.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidTy

storm_of_swords: You realize that going into specific forums and recommending and talking up a completely different console (and promoting many games across that console) is considered trolling and is not allowed in the specific forums, right? I do love the other consoles and they all have their strengths, but your argument relies upon many fallacies that simply aren't worth discussing in front of the TC. I read the very same things about the PS2 not being a good co-op console here once upon a time, and that too was a huge joke of an argument.

While I can easily rebut your off topic queries as an owner of all the machines since their launches, I would only be participating in some sort of fanboy SW argument. Then you'd reply and then I'd reply, and perhaps others would reply, and the entire thread would be derailed in a System Wars argument. That's a big no-no in these specific forums...and engaging in that won't help the TC at all who asked "Please recommend fun split screen PS4 games to play with my kids".

System Wars is that way ---->

While it's nice you recognized one game from my list and then cherry picked what you didn't like, I should mention you "forgot" a lot of great co-op games (whether you played them or not, they have good/great scores) including:

1. Hell Divers
  2. Towerfall Ascension (incredibly fun 4 player co op in the vein of Bomberman, 87/100 metascore)
  3. Tricky Towers (it's a puzzler, the more the merrier)
  4. Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (amazing co-op)
  5. Pac-Man 256 (very fun game)
  6. SuperMother Load (tons of dig-dug type fun)
  7. PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
  8. Salt And Sanctuary
  9. Awesomenauts
  10. RockBand 4
  11. Dead Nation
  12. Magicka 2
  13. Gauntlet
  14. Little Big Planet 3
  15. Street Fighter 5
  16. Resogun
  17. BroForce
  18. Defense Grid 2
  19. Earth Defense Force 4.1
  20. Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
  21. Awesomenaughts Assemble
  22. Trine 2
  23. Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power
  24. Super Dungeon Bros.
  25. Foul Play
  26. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  27. Just Dance series of games
  28. Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  29. Lego games (At least 6 games: Jurassic Park, Batman, Marvel, The Hobbit, Star Wars, Dimensions)
  30. Alien Nation
  31. Angry Birds Star Wars
  32. Child of Light
  33. Ultratron
  34. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  35. Mercenary Kings
  36. Fifa
  37. Don't Starve Together
  38. Call of Duty: BO3
  39. Call of Duty: Advance Warfare
  40. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  41. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

I do acknowledge that there is certainly more options the more systems you own, and I encourage those that are on the fence to jump in on multiplatform gaming, but ultimately I'm here to help the TC answer his question, I dropped off a helpful link, and moved on. I didn't come into this thread, make a claim that the PS4 only has two co-op games (Rocket League which the TC has and Rayman) and then try and sell another discontinued console. That's just not true.

Tricky Towers (it's a puzzler, the more the merrier) is another game I'd recommend TC! :P

Happy gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@SolidTy said:

storm_of_swords:

I'm here to help the TC answer his question, I dropped off a helpful link, and moved on. I didn't come into this thread, make a claim that the PS4 only has two co-op games (Rocket League which the TC has and Rayman) and then try and sell another console. That's just not true.

First of all, I never claimed that the PS4 only had two co-op games. There is more to this than just quantity. Unlike you, I was also taking into account the suitability of the game for playing with kids and at least 3 players which is the kind of game that the OP was looking for and also taking into account the quality of the game and only suggesting games that I feel are truly great and not just posting a list that includes a lot of bad games like you did.

And that would be nice if you really just dropped off a helpful link for the OP and moved on, but that was not what you did. You saw a post that was conveying that there might be one area that the PS4 is not the best at, and that made you go into Sony Defense Force mode. Then you went off and boasted your resume as you always like to do to try to make people think that your opinion is more valid than anybody else's. And then, not for the benefit of the OP, but just to try to defend Sony against an opinion that they might not be the best console for local multiplayer with 3+ players, you copy/pasted a list of games that have some form of local multiplayer even though it was not very helpful since it included games that were not designed for 3+ players which is something the OP is looking for and it contained many medicore or downright crappy games (quality is more important than quantity) that nobody would recommend if they were truly trying to just be helpful.

I do agree with you on at least one thing, I don't want this to become a Systems War argument, so I'll refrain from commenting on some of the other things you posted that might take us into that territory and just focus on the part that is supposed to help answer the OP's question. I'm glad that you have now cleaned up that list a bit and removed a lot of the terrible games that you originally included in the list when you were "just trying to be helpful to the OP" by inflating a list with crappy games, but you are still listing some games that do not support 3+ players.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Towerfall Ascension

Trine 2

Guacamelee!

Little Big Planet 3

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2

Octodad: Deadliest Catch

Fun ones if you don't play with kids:

Dead nation: apocolypse edition (2 player though)

Alienation

Broforce

Diablo 3

The KIng of Fights XIV (2 player)

Just named a few since it's 3:22 am

mrshev71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mrshev71
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

Could I recommend Overcooked. Cooking game, very frantic and lots of shouting involved...like working in a real kitchen, basically...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy

There is no need to try and point fingers as I was courteous with you, you should do the same for me. I know of your history and agenda well, but I left that out of my posts.

This is your post below which only mentions two games (one game already in the OP, so you really mentioned one game to him) and then telling the user the PS4 isn't good at local multiplayer and that he should buy a discontinued Wii U with the claim it has "a lot" of great mp games for families, but it has less than the PS4. Granted, I do enjoy my Wii U for tiny but fun library of games it has with my family, it is untrue that the PS4 is not suited for local MP and it's especially a disservice to only mention one game for the TC (Rayman, or buy a Wii U) to look at and then recommend a different console in these forums.

It's clear to any and all that visit this thread, you came to this thread in a specific forum to tell him to buy another console, but you were courteous to at least drop off a single game Rayman recommendation.

You forgot a great many local games that I play with my family on the PS4, and it shows you are again being intellectually dishonest to either sport your agenda, or because you simply don't know.

Your post:

storm_of_swords said:

I came in here to say that Rocket League would be the best split screen game on PS4, but you already have that. The

only other great local multiplayer PS4 game for at least 3 people that I can think of is Rayman Legends

which has up to 4-player co-op and would be a great game for families to play together.

Besides that,

local multiplayer is sadly not one of the PS4's strong suits.

If you want a console that is great for local multiplayer gaming,

I would suggest buying a Wii U which has a lot of great local multiplayer games that families could play together.

The Wii U has some great local MP games, and boy does it ever, BUT the Wii U does not have "a lot" by comparison to the PS4 and in fact the Wii U has certainly far less local MP games than the PS4 has. Only when discussing exclusives, would your argument have merit, but we aren't. We are discussing any and all local MP games for the PS4. Factor in quality and family oriented, and there are still a LOT more. It's simple and quite more than just one game you mentioned, Rayman.

zhangyu156465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zhangyu156465
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

good

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#12 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Beach Buggy Racing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@SolidTy:

I guess that you are just going to ignore the part where I specified "great". You keep trying to make it sound like I was suggesting that the PS4 only has two local multiplayer games, which I wasn't. I was first of all narrowing it down to local multiplayer games that are suitable for kids and at least 3 players since that is what the OP asked for and then out of that, I was only listing the games that I believe are truly great, hence why I said "great local multiplayer". I was not going to list games that I believe are merely decent and I definitely was not going to list games that are terrible like you did. And yes, I suggested looking into the Wii U; it was meant to be just a helpful suggestion because I believe that it is the best fit for the type of experience that the OP was looking for. I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to praise another console on this board and give my honest opinion because it might upset people like you if I'm not talking 100% positive about Sony, but I'd like to think that most people on this board are not like you and would not have had a problem with my suggestion of looking into the Wii U for local multiplayer experiences for families.

If you wanted to truly be helpful, you should have just informed the OP of the games that you truly believe are great and fit the criteria. If you would have done that then you could have truly been helpful and proven me wrong in a truly courteous way. But that's not what you did. I find it funny that you have the nerve to say that I'm being "intellectually dishonest" when you were the one that listed a whole bunch of games that did not meet the criteria that the OP was looking for and even worse, you initially listed many games that you know are terrible and you knowingly inflated your list with these terrible games just to try to push your agenda and hoped that nobody would notice all of the crappy games that were being included to inflate the list. Now that is being "intellectually dishonest".

I know your history pretty well too and I see right through your BS as I'm sure most people who have been on these forums for a while do as well. I knew from the beginning that responding to you would be an exercise in futility because I've seen you perform your routine countless times against many users and I've always found it annoying, but your smug attitude and the way you knowingly listed crappy games just to push your agenda got under my skin and I couldn't resist, but I'm now done responding to you.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolidTy

storm_of_swords: I have was courteous in my first response to you, saying "huh?" and then providing some answers as you dropped off a single response the TC could use (Rayman). I even said happy gaming at the end and provided an awesome link/resource for the TC. You did not respond as politely to my response, and the rest is history. It's your reliance on many fallacies including ad hominems, argumentum ad numeram, argumentum ad populum, and a few others and that was your undoing. I knew when your name was in this forum, in this thread, it was going to be something similar to what you did. To use your own way of thinking: "I did look right through your BS" you are known for.

You were incorrect on multiple fronts, but it seems that's why you visited this forum to deposit a single recommendation (Rayman) and to recommend he purchase of a new discontinued gaming console. That's all you did before I engaged providing many choices to the TC. I've seen this exact approach before generations ago from the NES era onward. "Buy the Sega Master System, the NES doesn't have as many fun mp games!" Funny how history looks at those two machines now. Even later I heard and read, "Sega Genesis has more adult, and better MP offerings than the NES". It's a joke to read today as most gaming historians now know the truth, but I heard many times in electronic stores of yesteryear. Same will be when people look back decades from now about the PS4's co op games. People that don't know libraries may actually fall for these shady tactics, but google proves there are indeed some fantastic mp games across the board on PS4 (hell, I didn't even get into SPORTS, but there are a LOT of highly rated Sports MP games on PS4 from MLB: The Show to NBA to NHL to Madden to even WWE games, etc).

First of all, "Great" is subjective; for instance I hate racing, so no matter how "great" a racer is, I will hate it, not to mention one mans junk is another man's treasure. Another person may hate fighting or FPS games. This family man has to deal with what his kids like and he likes, and we don't know the criteria, so we can't assume he will like one game YOU consider great. Now, we can get more objective rather than use what you think is great by looking at gathered scores as objectively as possible and then we have a basis for comparison, in this case Metacritic. For instance, MK8 you listed is only an 88/100 meta (good score for a racer you mentioned), I listed plenty of games that are 80s meta. You listed two other 90+ games on Wii U. That's not "a lot", and I'm well versed on every game the Wii U offers as I bought all the gems since launch 2012 (unlike others, I don't buy machines late). I set out to provide the TC some game that may or may not miss the mark. That's on the TC, I'm just throwing up blind darts.

Surely you must realize that even if you hated my list of 100 games, that there is even MORE games to choose from that I didn't list? Also, even supposing 50% of my list You consider not good, or simply decent by metacritic standards, then you must also realize that the other 50% may be helpful to the TC? Yes, that's right, it's not about what you didn't like in my list, it's about what the TC can use, and what you should have liked in my list. I again maintain you either lack experience in many of these games to simply ignore them, or an agenda. I'm not talking about all the games, but merely the very good/great ones I posted for the TC.

It's simple. Just because I listed what you consider a "bad game" or multiple games you think are merely okay, doesn't disqualify all the actual good-great games I listed as well. It's up to the TC though, right? He should be more invested than you are in this conversation. It sure beats just knowing the PS4 is good for only Rayman and that it's time for him to buy a new discontinued console. Unlike you though, I'm not going to assume to know what is considered appropriate or great to the TC.

I listed some games that got great scores in the same neighborhood as MK8 from:

• Towerfall Ascension (Bomberman like four player fun)
  • Resogun
  • Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (AMAZING GAME, can't suggest it highly enough)
  • Pacman 256 (New and fantastic MP)
  • Trine 2
  • Helldivers
  • Double Dragon 2
  • Guacamelee
  • Lego games (At least 6 games: Jurassic Park, Batman, Marvel, The Hobbit, Star Wars, Dimensions...TC may not know all)
  • Lego City Undercover (coming soon)
  • Child of Light
  • Rockband 4
  • FIFA
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Angry Birds StarWars
  • Don't Starve Together
  • Tricky Towers (it's a puzzler, the more the merrier)
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
  • Skylanders to
  • Just Dance
  • Singstar
  • Disney Infinity
  • Call of Duty: BO3
  • Call of Duty: Advance Warfare
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
  • etc (MANY MORE BOTH LISTED ABOVE AND EVEN MORE IN THE LINK I PROVIDED)

I can't (NOR CAN YOU) judge this persons family or what he considers quality or what genres he plays with his kids (some parents aren't concerned with violence as others, others are very particular about genre), but I know kids. I have bought some low 60s games that they enjoy that I would not, which is why games like the the terrible low scoring Animal Crossing: Amiibo Crossing 46/100 meta the kids will still play even though I know it's a turd.

You talk about games YOU consider "Terrible", but who are you to judge? Should not the OP make his decision by research? He may see that Ghostbusters got a 60s metascore, but also realize his kids will LOVE it. Better to be aware that such a game exists rather than not know a Ghostbusters multiplayer game exists. Some kids like Ghostbusters for example, I know my nephew and niece love each GB game (even own the cartoons on DVD), even buying the DLC of Ghostbusters on Lego Dimensions. I didn't knowingly inflate, I simply sought to prove that the PS4 had a LOT more than one single Rayman game for the TC to consider, and I can't know what his kids might fancy. You would have misled the TC into thinking over a hundred different games don't exist simply because you don't consider them "great". That's what owning my Wii U was actually like though, droughts and droughts and fun 1st party games, but actual games not releasing on the platform hurt. The TC actually has a system that the majority of the 3rd party publishers support. The PS4 doesn't have the drought problems as there is a plethora of 3rd party MP games to choose from, it's a matter of researching the right games for oneself or ones family, and hopefully seeking out higher quality.

At the very least you have to admit there is more than just a single Rayman game for the TC to consider, maybe you think my list is too long, but your list is far too short (a single game) and ends with breaking the forum rules to sell a discontinued Wii U console.

It's up to this the OP (chriscoolguy) to research his purchases, to figure out what is appropriate for his family both in quality, genre, franchises, and adult content (some parents are okay with their kids playing Diablo III, others not so much), but I did my part and offered fantastic games and other options (teen rated or lower quality) as well as offering high quality offerings....WHILE sticking to the rules of this particular forum.

Peace be with you.

TC, when you do settle on some games, hit up the forum! :P

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

What a ridiculous thread for a great question. Thanks for the list @SolidTy

SolidTy