• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Cool name.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
Yeah. But i'd rather have PSP2. Leave 'Vita" for a phone name or something.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Yeah. But i'd rather have PSP2. Leave 'Vita" for a phone name or something.riariases
I agree

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

It's not a very catchy name, but the deeper meaning is nice. I wonder what 'life' has to do with its features though..

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Coolyfett

Coolyfett is just happy they are not calling it the PSP2...that name is just stupid. Keep the numbers for their home systems but be unique for the hand held systems. Playstation Vita, sounds like a cool device.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

It looks too much like "Vista," which many people might associate with Windows Vista, which many consider a failure for Microsoft. And you wouldn't want to associate failure with it before it even releases.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 riariases

Coolyfett is just happy they are not calling it the PSP2...that name is just stupid. Keep the numbers for their home systems but be unique for the hand held systems. Playstation Vita, sounds like a cool device.

Coolyfett

That's not something they're gonna do.

Consoles - PS1, PS2, PS3.
Portable Consoles - PSP 1000, PSP 2000, PSP 3000.
Cellphones - Xperia X1, Xperia X2, Xperia X3, Xperia X4, Xperia x5, Xperia X6, Xperia X7, Xperia X8, Xperia X9, Xperia X10.
Laptops/Netbooks - Vaio TZ1, Vaio TZ2, Vaio TZ3 and Vaio X1 (new series with X2 in the workings)
Digital Cameras - Cybershot DSC-T1 to DSC-T33 and DSC-F1 to DSC-F88 (there are other series like M, U, etc.)
HDTVs - XBR1, XBR2, XBR3, XBR4, XBR5, XBR6, XBR7, XBR8, XBR9, XBR10, XBR11, XBR12.
Blu-Ray Players - BDP-S1, BDP-S2, BDP-S3, BDP-S4, BDP-S5

Every Sony brand product is named numerically. That's probably enough reason to believe the NGP will be called the PSP2.

RamboJLC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RamboJLC
Member since 2010 • 63 Posts

That's a good point. I was thinking that Vita matched with their other names though: Xperia, Bravia, Vaio... Did you hear about how Vita was the NGP's original codename. Might not actually be the final name.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coolyfett

PSP2 is a really stupid name, Coolyfett remembers when everyone kept calling it that, Coolyfett KNEW, Sony would not do the number thing they do for their home systems. Glad they are making the right choice, by not calling it that stupid name. Playstation Vita.....already used to it.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
I like the name :P maybe I'm weird :oops:
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 riariases

PSP2 is a really stupid name, Coolyfett remembers when everyone kept calling it that, Coolyfett KNEW, Sony would not do the number thing they do for their home systems. Glad they are making the right choice, by not calling it that stupid name. Playstation Vita.....already used to it.

Coolyfett

There is no official name for it yet. Just codenames, NGP and Vita.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coolyfett

Looking forward to eventually playing Monster Hunter Freedom IV exclusively on the Sony Playstation Vita. Its gonna be a really good hand held.

ale_gamr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ale_gamr
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

Coolyfett

It probably won't be called the PSP2 because it's a completely different thing. They'll give it a different name and then start numbering the new versions released for it.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coolyfett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe57M1S7CyU

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#16 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

It probably won't be called the PSP2 because it's a completely different thing. They'll give it a different name and then start numbering the new versions released for it.

ale_gamr

I don't know where you draw the line at "completely different thing... The Playstation 3 was vastly different from the PS2, as the XBox 360 was very different from the Xbox. In any new system, there's almost always been new processor architectures, hardware, and features.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 riariases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe57M1S7CyU

Coolyfett

Yeah, like that's a reliable source. First off, if it was official information, it would have more than 350 views. Second, if it was official information, it wouldn't be sending you to websites saying you can "Buy the Playstation Vita for $19!" and then tell you to download a PDF file which has nothing to do with the Playstation Vita. Third, Sony hasn't announced it as the "Playstation Vita". That's just a rumour.

For all we know, it could still be called the Playstation Vita, but I doubt it. We'll see next monday on E3. Until then, people can call it NGP, PSP2, Vita or Taco Bell if they want to.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Coolyfett

Can easily see Sony slapping the VITA name at the end of game titles, kinda like how they did Portable on a few PSP games that came out. All in all PSV should be a very fun handheld. Very glad Sony has officially named it. Coolyfett now hope they come with a bigger storage media than 32GB, got way too many files to transfer ha ha ha ha.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Coolyfett

That's a good point. I was thinking that Vita matched with their other names though: Xperia, Bravia, Vaio... Did you hear about how Vita was the NGP's original codename. Might not actually be the final name.

RamboJLC

Sony has registered the name Playstation Vita under one of their affiliate firms.

Check the link

http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/playstation-vita-is-an

Coolyfett read the name Neo was being tossed around for a while. Its funny how so many leaks that came out about the Playstation VITA, came true

OLED Screen

dual analog sticks

no UMD

Touchpad and touchscreen

all that stuff was leaked way before the Japan presser in Jan. Its almost as if something Sony leaks on purpose.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 riariases

Can easily see Sony slapping the VITA name at the end of game titles, kinda like how they did Portable on a few PSP games that came out. All in all PSV should be a very fun handheld. Very glad Sony has officially named it. Coolyfett now hope they come with a bigger storage media than 32GB, got way too many files to transfer ha ha ha ha.

Coolyfett

Man, I'm gonna laugh at you when Sony "officially" announces the name at E3. I'd bet you anything that they're not gonna "officially" name it Vita. Sounds like Windows Vista, or some mexican dish. People will be confused if they're buying a video game console or a fajita lunch kit.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Not a fan at all. In fact, I thought NGP was better than this (and that is saying something)
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

I think NGP is a better name than Vita :P

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts

All you guys supporting this name are friggin nuts! Vita sounds like a damn body lotion.

"MADE WITHALL NATURAL SKIN RELIEF TEA HERBS - SONY VITA: FOR WOMEN."

Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Edzem
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

I think NGP is a better name than Vita :P

riou7

Agree...... PS became a Mod I see...

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Man, I'm gonna laugh at you when Sony "officially" announces the name at E3. I'd bet you anything that they're not gonna "officially" name it Vita. Sounds like Windows Vista, or some mexican dish. People will be confused if they're buying a video game console or a fajita lunch kit.

riariases

Lol. What mexican dish!?:|:x

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 riariases

[QUOTE="riariases"]

blacknight06

I was just saying how "Vita" sounds like some sort of mexican dish. It doesn't mean it sounds like a real mexican dish, or is a mexican dish, It just sounds like a mexican word that would be used for food. But now that you mention it... http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-20593368R-la_vita_mexican_food-i

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 riariases

All you guys supporting this name are friggin nuts! Vita sounds like a damn body lotion.

Harkat95

Hah.

http://www.strawberrynet.com/skincare/estee-lauder/nutritious-vita-mineral-energy/76470/

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Coolyfett

riariases

Thats whats up, good looking out.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

[QUOTE="blacknight06"]

[QUOTE="riariases"]

riariases

I was just saying how "Vita" sounds like some sort of mexican dish. It doesn't mean it sounds like a real mexican dish, or is a mexican dish, It just sounds like a mexican word that would be used for food. But now that you mention it... http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-20593368R-la_vita_mexican_food-i

Lol. Yeah I know what you meant. I was just trying to be funny : P
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

If it makes you hardcore people feel any better we can call it the Playstation Call of Duty Megablast Pocket System...Is that better?

Coolyfett
LOL :)
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#32 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
The name sounds like a vitamin. :P Not really a fan of it, but I suppose I will get used to it (if they decide to use it).
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Harkat95

If it makes you hardcore people feel any better we can call it the Playstation Call of Duty Megablast Pocket System...Is that better?

Coolyfett
Sony, hire this man immediately.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Harkat95

That's pretty much what I thought... Still beats Ipad though.

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Harkat95

[QUOTE="Harkat95"]

lensflare15

LOL, had never thought of "iPad" like that, I'll be sure to mock my iPad-owning friends about that.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

[QUOTE="lensflare15"]

[QUOTE="Harkat95"]

Harkat95

LOL, had never thought of "iPad" like that, I'll be sure to mock my iPad-owning friends about that.

Yeah, I always wondered what was up with Apple when they gave it that name... Maybe they did it on purpose, who knows...

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

PSP2 is just stupid. NGP is nice. Vita is awesome.

StJerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StJerK
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I like the ring in PSV, but its not there in PlayStation Vita. i honestly think its a code name and that the real name wont be psp2 either.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Coolyfett

DGonlag

Word to DGonlag!

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Harkat95

[QUOTE="DGonlag"]

Coolyfett

Word to DGonlag!

NO NO NO. It's ridiculous! Who the hell are Sony trying to sell this console to? The only likely market for this thing is the hardcore crowd, and they won't appreciate a name like "Vita". That name appeals to people who would never buy a gadget with dual analogue sticks, shoulder triggers and gamepad buttons. The NGP looks 100% like a games console, it's not sexy in the way those people want it to be. A name like "Vita" is suitable for a fashion accessory smartphone, NOT for a handheld that seeks to ape console gaming. The handheld market is not the same as it was before the iPhone. You can't sell a dedicated games console to the uber-mainstream crowd anymore, the days of DS Lite selling millions upon millions of units are gone, and keep in mind that was a far cheaper console than this will be. People who want casual gaming download 1$ apps for their phone nowadays, they DO NOT buy 300$ devices and play 40$ games on them. Trying to appeal to these people with a name like "Vita" is a ****ing lost cause. Thank you if you actually read through my rant-block, there.
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DGonlag

So how would you like to call it? NGP is too much like PSP, which should be avoided since it's such a better machine.

Vita might be a bit smartphonish, but i wouldnt know how to name it otherwise. Come on NGP? Best they can think of?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Coolyfett

So how would you like to call it? NGP is too much like PSP, which should be avoided since it's such a better machine.

Vita might be a bit smartphonish, but i wouldnt know how to name it otherwise. Come on NGP? Best they can think of?

DGonlag

Its called the Sony Playstation Vita. Vita = 2nd = Life.....its the only hand held that lets you hunt for real Monsters man.

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DGonlag

[QUOTE="DGonlag"]

Coolyfett

Its called the Sony Playstation Vita. Vita = 2nd = Life.....its the only hand held that lets you hunt for real Monsters man.

I understand perfectly why they call it Vita, there's logic in that. They want to blow life in their products again. I think it's a great name. I'm just wondering why so many people have problems with this name.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I actually like the name Playstation Vita for the new portable. I has a nice ring to it. Besides calling it PSP 2 would have been to predictable. Sony was wise to go with PS vita. (If that is what NGP is really going to be called) Do it Sony Playstation Vita. The name works.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#45 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

Coolyfett

That's completely unconfirmed. A rumour at best. I know Sony is pretty awful at keeping secrets, but I still don't take a thing for granted until I hear it from Sony themselves.

EDIT: I love the name, I'm just fighting the rumours. Because they're rumours. Wait and see, maybe E3 will show us something more.

StJerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StJerK
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
now that i think aboout it. The name isn't important at all. Case in point, Nintendo went with Wii. I like Vita more than wii but it could get called PlayStation Portable Game System That Plays Portable Games And Other Freakin' Cool Stuff (PSPGSTPPGAOFCS) and sales wouldn't drop in the slightest.
syam32245340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 syam32245340
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

I don't care about the name. Performance shines through :D

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Harkat95

DGonlag
Yes, "Next-generation portable" sounds dumb too, but really, so does every other console name. I mean, "Xbox"? It's not about wether or the name is that "good", it's about which crowd they are trying to woo, and Sony has got no chance of hitting the casual target audience that the name "vita" appeals to. "Next-gen", however stupid a term, has a certain power within the hardcore gamer community. It resonates with hardcore gamers, and those people are the only likely market for this thing.
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DGonlag

[QUOTE="DGonlag"]

Harkat95

Yes, "Next-generation portable" sounds dumb too, but really, so does every other console name. I mean, "Xbox"? It's not about wether or the name is that "good", it's about which crowd they are trying to woo, and Sony has got no chance of hitting the casual target audience that the name "vita" appeals to. "Next-gen", however stupid a term, has a certain power within the hardcore gamer community. It resonates with hardcore gamers, and those people are the only likely market for this thing.

Why would Hardcore gamers be the only market? If they are truly aiming for a 3DS proce tag, it can become quite a competition.

darkPSPfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 darkPSPfan
Member since 2007 • 4934 Posts
Yeah. But i'd rather have PSP2. Leave 'Vita" for a phone name or something.riariases
agreed